Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The way to identify the captain is clearly to listen to his suicide message where he calls Abigial (Witterel) his love. Of course it might have been an onesided crush on the wife's boss, but all other reasonings are purely circumstantial too.

Was it normal for captains to bring their wives on board? Seems like a cause for dispute.
No, the game is very consistent with locations. The person you see alone in the captain's quarters is the captain. If you see a person be alone in a place associated with a role the unblurring mechanic assumes that you know that the person has the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The blurring thing is as confusing as helpful. There are a few places where I have seen LPers getting turned away from correct conclusions by badly timed unblurring.
One place is with Nick, where he isn't unblurred in the scene where his name is mentioned. Similarly there is the fact that the unblurs assume that you can group all the midshipman based on uniform, but not the officers. And I never found out what causes the ship's steward to unblur.
On the other hand Brennan and the Helmsman are people where the unblurring gives you significant help.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

The two men who were decapitated can also be identified as having been clawed, or (apparently) strangled.

While Charles Hershtik did burn to death, he was also accidentally stabbed by that other midshipman at the same time. If you're feeling particularly cruel you can mark him as the killer

It's about this far into both my playthroughs of the game that I noticed/remembered the alternate color options.

There is more then one death where you get the choice of blaming a person or a beast and be correct. And if you choose the person, their family doesn't get their wages paid out.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

My idea of the betrayal timeline:
1 Kraken attack / Phillips dies at unclear relative order.
2 Captain goes down to attack the mermaids.
3 Abigal dies.
4 Martin runs down and informs the captain.
5 Captain tells Martin to take over the mermaid issue and throw them overboard.
6 Martin gathers some dudes to carry the mermaid, gets stabbed, asks the mermaid to bring the ship home. The kraken leaves at some unclear time during this and we never know which of those actions called off the kraken, which is cool and fits the game's mood.
7 Evans arranges for the literal monkey's paw.