Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This episode highlights the most frustrating bit of this game, which is thankfully quite rare - the times when you know exactly what happened, but you don't know what the game wants you to tell it. It is very close to a "guess the verb" puzzle.

When I played, I solved the "Justice At Sea" section by waiting until I had two solids and then plugged in killers until I found one that the game would accept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That would be really handy, especially when you get scenes like one here where you can ID somebody in entirely divorced contexts.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Nidoking posted:

I will give it this much credit: I don't think I ever found a cause of death where the game didn't accept an answer that made sense to me when I understood what had happened. There's one group of people where most LPers seem to look at the pages, say "Well, this happened during this chapter, so anybody in these pages probably met this fate," and even where the game explicitly provides information that states a different fate for one of those people, the game accepts pretty much anything. I don't think most of those players ever actually found out what happened to those people, which is a bit sad, but probably falls on the right side of the balance between "making sure players aren't just guessing" and "making sure not to frustrate players by forcing them to deduce things that aren't apparent at all." Somehow.

I wonder whether the game would be better if it didn't confirm anything. Possibly not until you're done, but possibly not ever. You fill in the book, and you know how much information is needed, but the game just never tells you whether you got it all correct or not.

The answer(s) the game accepts always make sense. That's a good thing. But not every answer that makes sense is one the game will accept. Or else you can't be sure that the answer that makes sense to you is acceptable.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There is at least one guy who I have no idea how you're supposed to ID.

So much of the previous videos makes so much more sense now that you've explained that you'd not realized you could put in ID'S whenever you wanted

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Even when you know you can wait, having the watch shaking like it is about to detonate gives a really hard urgency to moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

For those two, I followed a different (and probably bogus) logic chain that worked.

I assumed that "Miss" denoted a Lady from Society, and assumed that the other woman was her maid, because a Lady would not travel alone. When you see them, the older one seems to be standing protectively in front of the younger one, so she must be the maid.