Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

VictualSquid posted:

No, the game is very consistent with locations. The person you see alone in the captain's quarters is the captain. If you see a person be alone in a place associated with a role the unblurring mechanic assumes that you know that the person has the role.

As a very good review of this game said (contains spoilers, obviously!), Obra Dinn is a game about induction, not deduction. You're putting together the information about the setting and the characters from what you can observe, but you have to make inferences from context - there's very rarely a way to be 100% certain about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

This first video was fun for that kind of thinking. Okay, this guy someone was calling Captain had locked himself in the Captain's cabin, and is in a picture wearing the Captain's hat and Captain's coat, but is that proof he's the Captain?

To give an example of the kind mentioned in the review I linked, what if Robert Witterel had died much earlier, and someone else had taken up the role and title of Captain since then? You can assume that it's the same person as the one in the picture, but how do you know when that picture was drawn?

I also agree with Nidoking that the game sometimes unblurs people at times that don't make sense. The best/worst example of this, in my opinion, is that the game expects you to be able to identify Maba, the crew member from Papua New Guinea, as soon as you see him. Presumably this is because you can identify his nationality from his chest tattoos - except that those aren't the kind of tattoos that a Papua New Guinean would have. If anything, he looks like an ancient Celt.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

As McD mentioned, one other thing that the game doesn't tell you is that there can potentially be multiple correct solutions to a death. In Abigail's case, for instance, it's certainly accurate to say that she was "clubbed by a terrible beast", but you could also correctly say that she was "crushed by falling rigging", and the game will accept either. Of course, as an insurance agent, your job is to determine exactly who is responsible for what.

Speaking of going above and beyond for dedication to insurance, you can actually just climb down to your rowboat and leave at any time, regardless of how complete the book is.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

ChaosStar0 posted:

Pretty sure you need to see all the scenes to do that.

I may have been misremembering, yeah. It's been a while since I played the game myself.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

That whole chapter is so fast. All these deaths happen within a minute or so.

If I'm remembering correctly, it may be the only time when there are two entirely unrelated events - the attempted mutiny and the escape on the lifeboat - happening simultaneously.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

Outer Wilds is the best I can think of off the top of my head. Being a mystery game about exploring, you're best off looking up as little about it as possible; just trust me and play it.

Seconding this. To give a very non-spoilery explanation, Outer Wilds is a game where you play as an astronaut exploring a small solar system. It's a lot like Obra Dinn in that you'll be spending most of your time exploring and discovering new things, and your only real resource is information - the only thing limiting your ability to progress is, for the most part, whether you've collected and put together enough information to understand how.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

On the topic of weird foibles the game will accept, it'll allow you to say that Hok-Seng Lau was killed by the Captain, which I suppose is very technically accurate, as he's the one who ordered the execution. It makes a lot more sense to figure out which bullet hit him, though.

Nidoking posted:

I wonder whether the game would be better if it didn't confirm anything. Possibly not until you're done, but possibly not ever. You fill in the book, and you know how much information is needed, but the game just never tells you whether you got it all correct or not.

Yeah, something I've always felt was missing is some kind of 'hard mode' where the game doesn't lock in any answers as you go. On the other hand, it would be very frustrating to finish the game and realize you slipped up with one little mistake. For instance, this LP inspired me to replay the game, and for a while I had one death incorrectly written in as 'strangled' because I'd missed the knife in the killer's hands. Maybe there's some sort of midway compromise? Like maybe it checks them off as you finish a chapter, or maybe a button you can press at any point to confirm what you've got? I can't think of a perfect solution.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I've never actually entered the Captain as the culprit, I'm passing this on based on what I read on the game's wiki, which unfortunately doesn't provide an associated cause of death. I also can't find this information anywhere else, so maybe it's just wrong?

E: Actually, looking at this wiki page again, I think it's just worded poorly, and it's not supposed to be saying that the game will accept that as a valid answer.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 13, 2021

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I never noticed that the watch showed you the chapter of each death until it was pointed out to me. I could see that it was showing a different time for each body, but I assumed that was just (roughly) time of death.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

whitehelm posted:

I was talking about Doom pt 8 specifically, after that the player knows what the shaking watch is for and does whatever they want. They can examine the other scenes to their satisfaction and maybe they will forget at first that they didn't examine that one scene carefully but eventually they'll be back to figure out what happened to the people that disappeared after that chapter.

I found the shaking watch distracting enough that I didn't like walking around and trying to put information together while it was happening.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

The two men who were decapitated can also be identified as having been clawed, or (apparently) strangled.

While Charles Hershtik did burn to death, he was also accidentally stabbed by that other midshipman at the same time. If you're feeling particularly cruel you can mark him as the killer

It's about this far into both my playthroughs of the game that I noticed/remembered the alternate color options.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 26, 2021

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

There's something kind of morbid about walking around the Obra Dinn once you've seen all the scenes and there are 40-odd corpses scattered around. It's partially a game conceit because they obviously can't have corpses overlapping, but there was just death at every corner of this ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I like how there's other artifacts on the inspector's shelf. Presumably those are just shout-outs to other games, but I do kind of like the idea that they deal with this kind of thing on a regular basis.

Pseudohog posted:

Does anyone have any other suggestions for things similar to Obra Dinn? Played Outer Wilds already which scratched the same sort of itch in a slightly different way (apart from the bloody platforming sections).

I haven't played it myself, but I have heard Her Story mentioned in this area. If you're willing to abstract the concept a little, there's also games like The Witness and the Myst franchise.