Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Schlong Connery posted:

Any "geek" content that made it to network tv in the early 2000s received way more praise than it deserved. Remember heroes?

lol yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Schlong Connery posted:

Game of Thrones. The worst part was i kept watching well after i knew it was bad, because of some sense of investment from reading the books(which also got bad)

also, yeah, this was awesome when i was 10, but the men in their late 20s-early 30s that act like this show was the greatest thing ever have probably not actually revisited the show or have awful taste

I still think the first season is great tv, it only got worse from there though

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Saved by the Bell. Terrible plots, terrible acting, cheesy emotionally manipulative “special” episodes, obnoxious characters, etc.I don’t know why I loved it so much when it originally aired. I was 10 at the time, so that might explain it. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Full House. Same as Saved by the Bell. Just godawful.

America’s Funniest People. I don’t know why I thought Dave Coulier was the pinnacle of comedy back then, what with his “Cut. It. Out.” and his “Fast as fast can be! You’ll never catch me!” jackalope character. Dude is the king of obnoxious fuckwits, and the show was not as funny as advertised.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Schlong Connery posted:

Any "geek" content that made it to network tv in the early 2000s received way more praise than it deserved. Remember heroes?

At the time, I thought the first season was fantastic and fresh. Then the second season happened :fart:

Made it halfway through the second season before I nope’d out, and I understand it only got more convoluted and idiotic from there. I don’t even want to revisit the first season because it’s also most likely dumb as hell.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Good news.
They're remaking saved by the bell just for you.
Fresh Prince, too.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yeah, I know. Television executives just can’t leave lovely properties where they belong: in the past.

Except Fresh Prince owns. Won’t be the same without Shredder, though :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
cartoons

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fresh Prince owns because it's actually got some sensible poo poo to say half the time when it's not Carlton hopped on caffeine pills. The episode where Carlton realizes cops will just treat him like poo poo for being black even when he's doing nothing wrong is real af for a show catered to adolescents. The episodes about Will's dad and his feelings over it are well done and emotionally solid. Will Smith was a funny and likeable dude when he was young and given a role where he's a smarmy but fallible teen who gets blowback versus his later roles where he's mostly just an annoying smug piece of poo poo insulting people nonstop (I Robot is the absolute worst for this, he's such a huge unlikable rear end in a top hat in it). The show actually demonstrates that sometimes authority figures are wrong and Will sometimes is right too when it comes to Phil. The disparity between their lives as far as wealth and privilege are concerned is approached in the show but even Uncle Phil has common ground with Will as he oftentimes is similarly as aware as Will about race issues, whereas Carlton is naive and sheltered af but also has his time to shine.

The secondary characters like Jazz and Geoffrey are cool n funny.

Compare that to Fullhouse which is insanely vacuous garbage and 99% of the time the lessons are just complete status quo bullshit and are beyond preachy in a way that isn't enjoyable at all like Fresh Prince. It's such bland crap. It may be the blandest show ever made. I loving hate it.

Also Fresh Prince has the best YouTube poops

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Airwolf and MacGyver were crucial components of my formative years and are utterly unwatchable today.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Slugworth posted:

It's even funnier than I remember. But yeah, there are a *lot* of jokes that are basically "lol, ur acting like a gay".

They do blackface a few times as well. But the character they have do it is meant to be incredibly out of touch, and stupid. Theres a bit more nuance to it. Its presented as a bad mistake that nobody should do. Its probably not a joke theyd pull now though.

Saying "30 Rock didnt age well" was a bit of a trope on certain parts of reddit a few years ago. I personally think pouring through old media trying to find poo poo to be offended by for updoots is a bit of a pathetic way to spend time.

I think its a pretty timeless show with great direction that had a few missteps and insensitive moments. Also LOL at them calling out Bill Cosby in 2009.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Will Smith was a funny and likeable dude when he was young and given a role where he's a smarmy but fallible teen who gets blowback versus his later roles where he's mostly just an annoying smug piece of poo poo insulting people nonstop

I've disliked him for a long time and never stopped to think about it, but you really nailed it.

Also his kids are garbage monsters.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think 30 Rock is one of the funniest comedies ever. Its aged incredibly well for sure. Although one of the main actors is a murderer.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
yeah the blackface episode of the sarah silverman program aged terribly

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I loved Miami Vice when I binged it 12 years ago and while it's still watchable, nearly every episode is 15 to 20 minutes too long and will probably be uncomfortably racist in one way or another

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Fresh Prince owns because it's actually got some sensible poo poo to say half the time when it's not Carlton hopped on caffeine pills. The episode where Carlton realizes cops will just treat him like poo poo for being black even when he's doing nothing wrong is real af for a show catered to adolescents. The episodes about Will's dad and his feelings over it are well done and emotionally solid. Will Smith was a funny and likeable dude when he was young and given a role where he's a smarmy but fallible teen who gets blowback versus his later roles where he's mostly just an annoying smug piece of poo poo insulting people nonstop (I Robot is the absolute worst for this, he's such a huge unlikable rear end in a top hat in it). The show actually demonstrates that sometimes authority figures are wrong and Will sometimes is right too when it comes to Phil. The disparity between their lives as far as wealth and privilege are concerned is approached in the show but even Uncle Phil has common ground with Will as he oftentimes is similarly as aware as Will about race issues, whereas Carlton is naive and sheltered af but also has his time to shine.

The secondary characters like Jazz and Geoffrey are cool n funny.

Compare that to Fullhouse which is insanely vacuous garbage and 99% of the time the lessons are just complete status quo bullshit and are beyond preachy in a way that isn't enjoyable at all like Fresh Prince. It's such bland crap. It may be the blandest show ever made. I loving hate it.

Also Fresh Prince has the best YouTube poops

Uncle Phill also owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8i8lfsoGk

Love the Cyrano de Bergerac reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW9pklBXqk4

This owns.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 28, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Uncle Phill also owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8i8lfsoGk

This owns.

Haha I've never seen the second one, original Aunt Viv ruled. She fit the show so well where everyone's fallible, she'd sometimes screw up or get embarrassed too.

Once they replaced her the new wife sucks and is just generic sitcom bullshit with Uncle Phil forced to act like a doormat.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Ive actually been rewatching 30 rock and it def holds up. Unbreakable Kimmy shmidt is a show i remember loving but Ellie Kemper’s quirkiness is like nails on a chalkboard to me now. Seconding parks and rec Leslie Knope sucks and is a shitlib

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

You Are A Elf posted:

This owns.

Wait I thought Uncle Phil was a judge not a partner at a law firm

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

....whereas Carlton is naive and sheltered af but also has his time to shine.

Oh man, that episode where Carlton buys a gun was loving dark.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

original Aunt Viv ruled. She fit the show so well where everyone's fallible, she'd sometimes screw up or get embarrassed too.

Once they replaced her the new wife sucks and is just generic sitcom bullshit with Uncle Phil forced to act like a doormat.

:agreed:

OG aunt Viv was also part of what made the show. Replacement aunt Viv was so bland and uninteresting.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

They were merely illustrating the phenomenon of the Replacement Aunts, which was at its peak in the 90s

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Oh man, that episode where Carlton buys a gun was loving dark.

Yeah it's a good as hell episode. Thats why the show stood the test of time. A lot of the poo poo that you watched as a kid that holds up is the stuff that didn't assume you were an idiot that couldn't handle it. Hence why a lot of Disney shows are unwatchable poo poo but I can pop on Gargoyles any day of the week and have a good time

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

poo poo that's aged poorly for me, id say Clerks.

I thought it was smart and relatable but now that Im older I just dislike all the characters, Dante especially. Hes a lazy misogynist who feels justified in his ennui. Hes Holden Caulfield.

It was definitely made for the generation before me, and ive noticed this tendency in some 90s stuff where theres this focus on making characters "deep, like so deep, man".

Id say its probably a response to somewhat vapid tropes of the 80s. But Smith's dialogue just comes across as overly deliberate and preachy and doesnt have much to say.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Oh poo poo, is that Hank Azaria as the first cop?

And agreed on all points re: 30 Rock. It remains one of the best shows I’ve ever seen, with several jokes set up in S1 not paying off until S3, or even the final season. And for all the cringe homophobia, the treatment of race in general is incredibly well done, with Liz Lemon frequently being called out for her unconscious bias.

And the reason they called out Cosby so early on is that Hannibal Burgess, who broke the story onstage during a standup set, was a writer on the show.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Home Improvement and Buffy are both wretched dickhole.

3rd Rock From the Sun has aged bizarrely well, I have no idea why but it's very enjoyable.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
everything i thought of was already said. more surprised by the shows that do hold up for me though, most of them are cartoons like adventure time or gravity falls. watched those shows repeatedly when i was young, like 10-15; recently restarted adventure time as background noise while i work on projects but legitimately got engrossed in it. i assumed i just had nostalgia goggles for it but after a few seasons the writers seemed to recognise that adults were getting into it, so they started targeting that audience as well in their writing

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That cartoon with the gems or whatever the gently caress sucks balls

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

I've been a goth kid for forever and I've had to learn to bite my tongue and say "this isn't for me but I can understand it was influential to you and why you like it" instead of my actual true feelings of "this is unimaginably bad, all of the TV and movies this subculture likes are laughable, and Joss Whedon should've been fired out of a cannon for his approach to writing even if we didn't find out he was an abusive jerkoff sex pest"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That cartoon with the gems or whatever the gently caress sucks balls

Jem and the holograms yeah a lot of 80s shows don't hold up

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Jem and the holograms yeah a lot of 80s shows don't hold up

I tried rewatchibg Thundercats and it was impossible. I don't really like poo poo like Avatar but it at least has like... actual substance to it. GI Joe is just utterly worthless.

DuckTales is p good still tho

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

King of the Hill sucks

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Seconding Clerks and Mallrats as being just ahead of my 'time' and that when younger I thought they were pretty wild as a result but really lame now (aside from dated references).
I will watch them every 2-3 years simply for nostalgia but there's a lot of eye rolling involved.

Home Improvement was bad when it was ON.
I never liked that show. Sorry, not trying to 'that guy' it up as if I'm too cool for it (I totally AM), but even when watching it I remember thinking "This is what the 90's are. This is it. This is how it's gonna be." It was SO blammo white person 90's it was like sirens going off, and I should have been too young to realize that at the time.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

that was a joke KotH loving rules

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Plant MONSTER. posted:

King of the Hill sucks

Explain yourself

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

Explain yourself

Well, even though they retracted their statement, I'll step in here and offer a possible explanation:
It's boring, dumb, and not funny. So that may be part of the reasoning there.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Plant MONSTER. posted:

that was a joke KotH loving rules

K

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

pretty soft girl posted:

I've been a goth kid for forever and I've had to learn to bite my tongue and say "this isn't for me but I can understand it was influential to you and why you like it" instead of my actual true feelings of "this is unimaginably bad, all of the TV and movies this subculture likes are laughable, and Joss Whedon should've been fired out of a cannon for his approach to writing even if we didn't find out he was an abusive jerkoff sex pest"

Whedon literally ruined dialogue for the majority of modern blockbusters. His influence is poisonous poo poo that has bred a new wave of garbage insincerity in film because the writers are too cowardly and pathetic to allow their characters to exist within a film's universe wholeheartedly, instead they treat the plot and what happens around them as a stupid joke like they're speaking directly to the audience with every quip and crap-rear end unfunny line. It's this bizarre near third wall breaking poo poo where the writers constantly assure you that the goofy or incongruous stuff you may notice is something they noticed too.

It makes me long for the insane hypersincerity of Arnold action movies where he's going absolutely apeshit and ridiculous in a stupid rear end loving plot like Eraser or Running Man but he doesn't have to make stupid jokes about how dumb the situations he's in are.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah home improvement was serious dogshit, but I still bet it's better than according to jim

Confirm/deny?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Whedon literally ruined dialogue for the majority of modern blockbusters. His influence is poisonous poo poo that has bred a new wave of garbage insincerity in film because the writers are too cowardly and pathetic to allow their characters to exist within a film's universe wholeheartedly, instead they treat the plot and what happens around them as a stupid joke like they're speaking directly to the audience with every quip and crap-rear end unfunny line. It's this bizarre near third wall breaking poo poo where the writers constantly assure you that the goofy or incongruous stuff you may notice is something they noticed too.

It makes me long for the insane hypersincerity of Arnold action movies where he's going absolutely apeshit and ridiculous in a stupid rear end loving plot like Eraser or Running Man but he doesn't have to make stupid jokes about how dumb the situations he's in are.

*smirks at the rest of the posters in the thread*
Sounds like someones a little...stressed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Wait I thought Uncle Phil was a judge not a partner at a law firm

He starts out as an attorney and then becomes a judge