Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They love Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I did gymnastics and boxing and wrestling and they all owned but what was special about them is that they had none of the bizarre cultish behavior about teams, well I guess gymnastics did but I was really good at it and got laid by other gymnasts who weren't just chicks if u know what I mean anyway out of all the sports it seems like gymnastics had the most people banging

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The worst sport I played was soccer, hated that poo poo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sigher posted:

Do tell because this is surprising.

:mmmsmug: Seems like we found the sport ball fan.

Gymnastics coaches are insane, like they make football coaches look chill, the points lawyering on poo poo like floor exercise and high bar would drive parents into a furor. At the level I was competing at all the parents were absolutely loving unhinged, like child pageant level of hyper involved and obsessed with their kids' performance. This only got worse the older I got but the way some of those parents treated their kids even in elementary school was hosed up, and they would do it visibly in front of everyone else lol. It was nuts because at the level I competed at my parents being sane and just supportive instead of domineering was the exception. Teens juicing wasn't unheard of either, and it was always obvious because gear makes teens look like hosed up gross mutants lol, even more so than they already do.

Gymnastics is prob one of the worst sports you can make your kid do honestly for their mental health, at least at a competitive level instead of just for fitness and fun, the coaches are all dickheads and the level of conditioning sucks. It makes both wrestling and boxing look pathetic. I've watched videos of the kinds of conditioning football players go through and it makes me think to myself "That's it, really?" because it seems so comparatively tame. It's also really hard on your body and to this day I like strain my right trap muscle at least once a year because it never fully recovered from pommel horse, my shoulders are also crackly and poppy. Surprisingly my legs are fine somehow.

Basically, it's not that tons of people care about gymnastics in general, but the people who do are fanatical.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sigher posted:

This is really loving weird; I never knew any gymnasts in school (I don't even think we had gymnastics?) but it seemed like everyone on the football team busted rear end but at the end of the day just loved the sport and probably smoked weed and their parents didn't really care much, they'd support their kids at games but no one seemed to be going through loads of bullshit while doing so.

Teens juicing is loving sad and hilarious, what the gently caress.

I mean most of us enjoyed the sport and most gymnasts were very chill and far better about LGBTQ people than other sports I played, but you definitely had your share of incredibly repressed kids whose parents basically treated them very militantly. A lot of kids were hoping for scholarships but those are slimmer pickings than football or basketball, so the competition was often pretty pitched.

That was the thing about gymnastics though, because the sport is so individualized, the individual pressure was a lot greater. I'm sure star football players on their highschool teams faced a lot of it too, but there was an absolutely massive gulf between the kids who just kind of competed in gymnastics as a sport just to do, and the people who were getting gold medals at state meets (which I did a couple times). There's also weird team based scoring, but that just means that "weak links" were singled out more often.

By the time I hit the end of highschool I was super burned out on it and the thought of continuing it into college sounded like a total nightmare so I dropped it, much to the chagrin of my coach who gave me a long rear end lecture about me wasting my potential if I didn't keep on lol.

And like I said before, gymnasts bang like crazy, so there was always that impetus to keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

itry posted:

Everything I know about gymnastics (nothing) I learned from the documentary Stick It with the help of Missy Peregrym and Jeff Bridges.

Lol some gymnastics friends and I watched that one night at their chill mom's house who didn't give a poo poo if we smoked weed and it was hysterical