Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They also did this amazingly annoying thing at Christmas where only one person opened a gift at a time so everyone was watching you open your gifts. It was nerve-wracking.

We still do this! Our Christmas dinner (European) is slammed down in barely an hour, then we have ~4 hours of opening presents. One. at. a. time.

You'll go through a lot of coffee during this. It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

A sword in a bamboo sheathe that had been dinged and cracked because my brother had cut some cellphones in half with it.

My brother once gave me his (very used) copy of HeroQuest when I was like 6 or 7.

It was the best birthday ever.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I originally wasn't going to post about this Christmas' gift from my best friends, but I've realised in the last ~24 hours that I'm honestly more pissed about it than not, and will probably be bringing the gift to a charity shop in the next couple days along with various other 'I'm moving house soon and don't wanna carry this poo poo' odds and ends.

My best friends, the same couple I mentioned at the start of the thread (she's a massive Dave Grohl fan and gifted her fiance Grohl's autobiography for his birthday), had me over for Christmas dinner this year as always since I don't have any immediate family left. They gave me a bag with 2 gifts in it; one for me, and one for Mr Alleyway.

They gave my husband an awesome Lego Technic set of cars to build, which he's always loved.
They gave me Carrie Fisher's autobiography, who I've never expressed any interest in.

I'll stress here that they're my best friends and not my husband's; they barely know him because he's only been out to their house maybe 3 times in the last 7 years. They clearly bought my gift at the very last minute since the '50% OFF' price tag was still in the bag they gave me the gifts in.

Sometimes a gift is just a miss. Maybe they thought that the Lego set would be used by both of you. Maybe you like reading, and Star Wars is popular enough that they thought it would still be something you'd like, however niche it is.

I'm just saying that this could be a fluke, and they genuinely thought it was a good present idea. I'd hate to see good relations break down over a misunderstanding. :shobon: