Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Congratulations to the 2022 Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club Champion twernt's Spooky Swinging Sixties!
(Herk Harvey, Brunello Rondi, Masaki Kobayashi, Ingmar Bergman, Terence Young, and Elio Petri)
A Quiet Place in the Country, Kwaidan, Hour of the Wolf, Persona, The Demon, and Carnival of Souls

Get the snow shovels and rock salt. Unpack the warm clothes. Unravel the Christmas lights. Something else I should be firing up?

Ok, we’re back. I’m excited. Lets get right to it. This is the Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology Tournament & Movie Club. Started in 2020 and originally run by shrecknet as a distraction during the quarantine and opportunity for us all to socialize together, it took on a life of its own becoming a community of people who just like hanging out and watching films together and just supporting each other and being friends.

This would be the third season/year/tournament and its become a bit massive and unwieldy and I carry a lot of the blame for that, but I’m down for trying to corral it all for another year if people want to. So how does this work?

64 Directors or Teams of Directors are put together in a tournament with a pool of movies to draw from. Each week movies are drawn at random and face off 1 on 1 unto we get down to a final matchup to name a new champion. The first year saw Ken Russell take down Takashi Miike and this prior year saw MacheteZ’s One n Dones team take down Deb’s Queer As In gently caress You team. As you can see this isn’t your normal mainstream horror picks. There’s a lot of personal investment and subjective tastes involved and that’s a lot of the fun. Huge legends go down early when they draw a weak film and wild cards advance deep on the passion of posters. It keeps everything unpredictable and competitive and means a ton of deep diving into films many of us have never seen or even heard of. And each season has turnover so all the films we’ve watched in the past are out and a whole new crop come up this year.

The whole thing takes 9 months to do and its as chill or intense as you want it to be. You can be here every week writing up passionate reviews for your favorites each round or you can come and go through the year when you have some time or need a break. Hopefully we’ll be here for you when you need or want it the same way this thing started as such a relief for many of us during 2020.

Important Dates
Subject to change
  • Now: Any teams from last year can be renominated. New films from existing directors can be added, but no new directors.
  • You can nominate a director with 6 or more films at any time.
  • Dec 4th noon EST: Any new teams can be nominated. New directors can also be added to old teams. You can only nominate/update a team every 12 hours.
  • Dec 12th noon EST: 12 hour clock ends, anyone can nominate as many teams as they like.
  • Dec 14th noon EST: Nominations lock and voting begins.
  • Dec 26th noon EST: Voting ends and Bracket is locked.
  • Jan 1st: Tourney begins.

2020: Franchise Tournament Thread / Franchise Letterboxd List / Directors Tournament Thread / Directors Letterboxd List
2021: Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List / HalloweeNIT Letterboxd List
2022: Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List
Cumulative: Spreadsheet / Letterboxd Master List

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rules subject to change

The Council: The top 8 posters from last year’s thread (besides myself) are our unofficial “Council”. If there is some crucial stalemate or disagreement in nominations or rules they will vote and I will be the tiebreaker. They will each name one Automatic Bid who gets entered directly into the Field of 64 and skips the nomination vote. Each Council Member is free to give their spot to anyone they like, director or team, as long as they’re eligible for the tourney. The 8 posters are:

Basebf555
Franchescanado
married but discreet
MacheteZombie
TrixRabbi
Tarnop
twernt
The Berzerker

Servoret also earned another Bid by completing the HalloweeNIT October challenge, bringing the grand total up to 9 Automatic Bids.

Nominations:
  • Any and every qualified nomination made by a poster is included in a voting pool and the top X make the tournament.
  • A select number of nominees will be chosen for byes through the nomination process and grab the top seeds in the tournament.
  • The last few slots in the tournament will be filled by playin rounds or crapshoot teams to add some extra randomness. The exact numbers and format depend on how the voting turns out.

Director Qualifications:
  • Any director with 6 or more qualifying films can be nominated on their own.
  • Directors can be teamed up on teams of no less than 6 films and and a soft cap of 10 films. So you can go over 10 but you once you get there you have to stop.
  • You can assemble a team by whatever criteria you wish, by theme, franchise links, connected creators, your favorites, or just at random. If they qualify they’re good.

Movie Qualifications:
  • If a movie has been drawn in past Bracketologies it is ineligible. There’s a full list on the spreadsheet and a Letterboxd list here.
  • We play pretty fast and loose with what makes a “horror.” Thrillers, fantasies, sci fi. If you can make the case for it and there are no big objections it can count. If people don’t think its horror enough that can be fought out in the voting. Just try and be reasonable and act in good faith. Don’t abuse the flexibility.
  • Anthology segments, short films, and TV episodes are a grey area. You can include them if you wish but if they’re under 60 minutes or just one segment of a full feature you can skip it.
  • TV movies are eligible as regular features.
  • If a film is unreleased, lost, or otherwise just impossible to watch without a festival ticket, an inordinate price tag, or a shady download then you can skip it as long as no one else can find it easily available.

No Cherry Picking: If a director is part of your team then you must include all eligible films of theirs on the team. The baseline for "eligibility" are traditionally labeled "horror" films but its possible there will be disagreement over looser interpreted thrillers, sci fi, fantasy, or what have you. If these disputes can't be resolved in thread the Council will vote.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 30, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nominations

You can nominate a solo director with 6 films or more, or a team. Its very simple, you only need to post your nomination in here. It would be helpful for me if you also listed movies but its not necessarily required, especially for directors with long lists. Its complicated. I'll have to double check they have enough to go and put the movies on the spreadsheet for a random draw. So help is appreciated. But I'll have to do the work anyway.

Last year I bulk added all the directors we had previously nominated or I could find who had 6 or more films. I decided not to do that this year. It saves me some work and really there's no point in adding directors if no one really wants them in. So if you do want a director nominate them.

So for example, I’m nominating Mario Bava. He has a number of "horror" films left but he also has some monster, thriller, and sci fi films which seem close enough to warrant including given his stature as a horror director. So the ideal nomination looks like this.

Mario Bava
1. The Girl Who Knew Too Much
2. Planet of the Vampires
3. Five Dolls for an August Moon
4. Hatchet for the Honeymoon
5. Baron Blood
6. The Venus of Ille
7. The House of Exorcism
8. Caltiki, the Immortal Monster
9. Hercules in the Haunted World
10. The Whip and the Body
11. Rabid Dogs
12. Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs
13. The Day the Sky Exploded

Teams

For now, until Dec 4th we're only renominating teams from last year. This is just to give posters a chance to reup their teams without them getting broken up by new teams. Once Dec 4th rolls around we'll be free to nominate new teams or add directors to the renominated teams. There will be a 12 hour clock between your nominations to allow for everyone to get a chance instead of some people making a lot of nominations at once and some people missing out. On Dec 8th we'll ditch the clock once enough time has passed and people can nominate as many as they wish.

So for example I am renominating this team from last year.

The Enemies of Horror (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Jeremy Gardner, and Amy Seimetz)
Formerly known as Rustic Films
1. Spring by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
2. Resolution by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
3. The Endless by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
4. The Battery by Jeremy Gardner
5. She Dies Tomorrow by Amy Seimetz

In addition I can add these movies that were made by the directors already on the team, but weren't on last year's team for whatever reason (not released, not available, just missed, whatever).

6. Synchronic by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
7. Sun Don’t Shine by Amy Seimetz

I have room left on the team I do intend to add more directors and films. But I can't do that until Dec 4th at noon EST.

I hope that's all clear and easy to understand. You can find a list of previously nominated directors and teams on the spreadsheet. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 9, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FAQ

So why are there directors and teams?
This originally started as a simple Directors Tournament. We had some directors with 6 films and some with less that repeated their films through the tournament. The teams were intended to do three things. 1) Make sure every entry had enough films to draw a new one each round. 2) Get more directors and movies involved. 3) Make this all more interactive and fun by giving people a chance to build their own teams or develop rooting interests. There was some concern that it created an opportunity for “super teams” that had an advantage over the solo directors with large filmographies of varying quality. The “no cherry picking” rule was created to basically try and avoid that, but three very excellent crafted “super teams” still made the final four in the first season of them. Some people didn’t like that but ultimately it still means more directors and movies watched and as we go on we should whittle out the ability to build super teams by eliminating movies and directors as we see them. And that makes the team building options more diverse and weird. What happens when someone like George Romero or John Carpenter has to be on a team to be in the tournament? That seems fun.

Why “no cherry picking”?
The idea is simply to avoid a very selective choosing of movies that uses only the best films and cuts all the bad ones. That would make a less dynamic tournament and more of a “my favorite films” thing. And really give an advantage of people trying to act more in good faith and just include everything their director or team have to offer. This can get questionable at times since the definition of “horror” can vary a lot. Some films are called thrillers or fantasy or crime or sci fi that others thing are horror. Ultimately it comes down to good faith. If you think its a horror, use it. If you really don’t think it is, then fine. Cut it. If someone disagrees we can hash that out and hopefully come to a civil compromise. If all else fails the Council will vote on anything that can’t be settled.

So does that mean I have to add all these sci fi and thriller films to my list?
No, not at all. In the past movies that aren’t traditionally considered horror have been included in this tournament. People have made passionate cases for them and I’ve tried to be very permissive. In the end I think its a matter that can be resolved in the voting. But that might get confusing in the nomination process as we talk about “eligible” films or “no cherry picking” especially when you see me talk about which films I added for a director. Thing is you say “I nominate Bill Smith” and then I have to go add all of his movies to the spreadsheet for the random draw. But I don’t know Bill Smith’s films so I just go based off the movies listed as horror. But I do tend to peek at the other stuff to see if anything looks like it might fit. So I have to make judgment calls. And sometimes I’ll be wrong, and again, if you disagree with something just speak up. I’ll defer to thread consensus 99% of the time. And if we can’t find a consensus then the Council.

Why is there a weird period where only old teams can be nominated?
I want to encourage people to bring back old teams so we can create a kind of legacy and record of teams. I think that could be a lot of fun. Successful teams trying to come back and do it a second time, unsuccessful teams trying it a second time, teams trying to come back year after year. And if there’s just a free for all then other people might break up those teams so I wanted to give them a chance to think it over and decide if they wanted to bring them back. But I don’t want to give those teams an unfair advantage in adding new directors over the other posters so that’s why they can’t build on their teams during that period.

Why can I only nominate a team every 12 hours?
Basically the idea is to avoid anyone spamming a bunch of teams and getting all the big movies and directors. I want to give everyone a chance to participate and brainstorm so making the people who have been planning teams for awhile have to sit and wait out a clock can hopefully help give everyone else time to come up with teams if they want. At least until enough time has passed and we think we can just let the over zealous people go wild. It also creates a kind of default “draft” scenario where you’re gonna have to prioritize your nominations. You’ll have to decide which you want to nominate first in the hopes that someone else doesn’t steal a director in the 12 hours you have to wait before your next pick. And I think drafts are fun.

Can we change our teams or trade directors around?
Absolutely. While the 12 hour clock is up you’ll have to stick with that but you can change your team around if you decide you’d like it differently and if someone picked a director you wanted and you can work it out with them to change that then its all fair game. As long as everyone’s happy and we’re playing within the rules its all good.

Why just directors?
I wanted to expand the criteria beyond directors to other people who help make movies great. Producers, writers, cinematographers, composers, sfx artists, and of course actors. But the problem I realizes is that once you start allowing different criteria you end up with a lot of crossover. So how do you decide what team or entry a film goes on when all its cast and crew are nominated? It just seemed like a mess. Ultimately the director criteria is less of a real interest in finding the best director or putting all the credit for a film on the director than it is just a convenient sorting device. It gives us a guideline to narrow down our entires and nominations and make this thing work. We could probably use other criteria to do it but this started as a directors’ tourney and has done two years under that criteria so it makes sense to just continue the course.

Why do you eliminate movies after they’ve been drawn? Its been two years, I want to watch it again.
The idea is both to make sure that we don’t just have the same winners year after year but also to keep diving deeper into cuts for our films. A lot of the fun of this isn’t just watching classics we’ve all seen. That’s fun and for many of us we haven’t seen a lot of classics without some prompting. But a lot of the films we watch are films most of us have never seen or even heard of. And sometimes that’s a lot of fun or reveals some real gems. And of course you don’t have to watch all the films and you’re free to watch what you want. Its possible over time if we do this long enough it might make sense to reset the pool. But it also might just be fun if we keep doing this for years to keep eliminating movies and keep digging deeper and deeper even once all the big masters have been eliminated or cut down to the point where they need teams to be nominated. We can play that out as it comes.

Why are the teams 6-10 films?
The idea is 6 films should be enough to get a team through the tournament without redraws and 10 should be enough of a cap to keep the team from just hoarding a ton of films or directors when they could be in other teams and get more play. 10 is a soft cap because its possible you’ll have 2 or 3 directors who add up to 11 or 12 films or something and there’s no reason to not allow that. In theory you could have 2 directors with 9 films for a total of 18 films or 10 directors with 1 film each. You can also just do 6 films or less than 10 if you wish. Maybe you want to put together a little “boutique” team of films that fit a specific theme of some kind and you can only get to 6 or 7. That’s fine. The goal is flexibility and giving everyone as much room as they need to have fun and be creative.

If a director with 6 films can be nominated solo why can he also be on a team?
That’s a new thing this year. It was suggested by mbd and Tarnop last year and while initially I had reservations over why you’d team up two directors who could qualify on their own I decided that it didn’t really matter. If for some reason you did want to do that or tag a director with 1 or 2 films on with a director with 6+ then I guess why not? It adds more flexibility and makes the rules less restrictive and easier to understand, and in the end it just means more directors, more films, and more random draws.

What if I just don’t like this rule or change?
Then please, please speak up. I want to make this as fun for everyone as possible. I don’t like being the guy who makes unilateral decisions. I recognize to some extent you just have to make a call at some point but if you really don’t like or understand something please let me know and we can talk it out and change it if it makes sense.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 1, 2021

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aw yea, I haven't watched a spookadoodle in a while

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Excited for a new season, although when I saw this stoned at like 1am last night I was extremely overwhelmed. I think I'm getting a handle on it though, until December 4th we can nominate individual directors and/or re-nominate existing teams from last time. After December 4th you can start nominating new teams? Do I have that right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Excited for a new season, although when I saw this stoned at like 1am last night I was extremely overwhelmed. I think I'm getting a handle on it though, until December 4th we can nominate individual directors and/or re-nominate existing teams from last time. After December 4th you can start nominating new teams? Do I have that right?

Yeah. Sorry about that. Its me. If I could say things simpler I'd be a different person. But yeah. Until Dec 4th people can reup teams. Dec 4th-8th you can nominate new teams one every 12 hours. Dec 8th you can go hog wild. Solo directors can be nominated whenever.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 29, 2021

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well let's nominate some directors first, mostly to ruin the stats for Italy even more:

Michele Soavi
Claudio Fragasso
Sergio Martino
Bruno Mattei

Also these two:

M. Night Shyamalan
Hasan Karacadag

edit: If I want to re-nominate teams I can't make any edits to them yet, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

You can add movies from the existing directors now, but you can't add new directors until the 4th.

So I can renominate this team.
The Enemies of Horror (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Jeremy Gardner, and Amy Seimetz)
Formerly known as Rustic Films
1. Spring by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
2. Resolution by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
3. The Endless by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
4. Synchronic by Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
5. The Battery by Jeremy Gardner
6. She Dies Tomorrow by Amy Seimetz

Synchronic wasn't on the list last year because it hadn't been released, so I can add it now. But there's other directors I'm considering adding to the team but I can't until the 4th (so I don't have an edge in case someone else wants them)

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I don't have anyone to renominate, but I'm excited for the new season!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

Well let's nominate some directors first, mostly to ruin the stats for Italy even more:

Michele Soavi
Claudio Fragasso
Sergio Martino
Bruno Mattei

Also these two:

M. Night Shyamalan
Hasan Karacadag

Soavi actually only has three horror films listed on Letterboxd. So unless he's missing some he's inelligble without a team.

Fragasso has 7 although 1 (Una notte da paura) seems lost/hard to find so I'm cutting it down to the other 6 unless you can find more.
Mattei has 15 films added.
Fragasso and Mattei share 2 films (Rats: Night of Terror and Night Killer). Without them Fragasso wouldn't qualify or have enough films to finish so unless you or someone objects I'm just gonna credit to him and drop Mattei to 13.

Martino has 11 films added.

Shyamalan only has 3 listed as horror (Old, The Visit, and Split) but Sixth Sense, The Village, and Signs all seem safely horror to me. I wouldn't consider Unbreakable or Glass as horror but with the inclusion of Split that seems like a judgement call. Lady in the Water is listed as fantasy. I dunno. I added the 6 sure ones and you (or anyone else) can weigh in on the rest.

Karacadag has 9 films. One of which is Dab6e assuring I watch 5 preceding Dabbe films when it inevitably gets drawn

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I know you can't change your nature so easily, but you really really don't have to watch the entire Dabbe series to get up to speed. I promise.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oops, messed up with Soavi - I guess he will be part of a team later on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Soavi is a guy who's legacy really would've benefited if he'd made just a few more horror movies. I think he's clearly better than Martino but Martino tends to get mentioned much more often alongside Bava and Argento because he was a lot more prolific than Soavi was.

There's still time I guess, he's only in his mid-60s.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Catching my breath between chores, nominating a few of the big favorites.

John Carpenter
Actually down to just 5 feature films listed as horror but Someone's Watching Me and his two Masters of Horror episodes cover him. There's also Assault on Precinct 13, They Live, and Big Trouble In Little China. I'm torn on all of them. I'd argue that while none of them are strictly horror they all have films that have been in these tournaments they're similar to that have counted. Big Trouble obviously takes a lot from the Wuxia films, Precinct 13 is a tense cop thriller of which we've had a number, and They Live is some freaky sci fi stuff similar to like Cronenberg. So I'm inclined to include them all unless anyone objects, and if one gets drawn and people don't feel its horror enough the votes can tell. Any objections?

Wes Craven
Wes has no problems. He's got 19 films. He'll be getting knocked out before the sweet sixteen as long as we do this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Big Trouble in Little China probably is the odd one out there, the toughest to justify as horror. I think most people would probably be fine with They Live and Assault on Precinct 13 though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its not a film I'd call horror most of the time. I'd call it fantasy and action first. But it has monsters and magic and wizards and I'm not entirely sure what separates it from stuff like Human Lanterns and Chinese Ghost Story aside from the country of origin. And I think that might be it. Because its John Carpenter making it with Kurt Russell as the "lead" it feels more like a homage or a spoof where if it were just a wuxia film I imagine people wouldn't given it a second guess because its just in pattern with the cultural themes?

I don't know, does that make sense? I'm not married to it. If people object I'll take it out. I actually personally had a harder time justifying Precinct 13 but I know lots of people like that stuff and do consider it horror. I just did the arguments in my own head and I couldn't really make a case for discounting Big Trouble but keeping Wuxia. And I wouldn't argue to dump Wuxia.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 29, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the Jack Burton character really does make enough of a difference that the movie crosses the line into full-on comedy. Without him I think there would be an argument but he's just too absurdly funny.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Human Lanterns has pretty graphic scalpings/murders by a serial killer, and Chinese Ghost Story is very clearly inspired by Evil Dead 2.
I also LOVE Big Trouble but never considered it horror, it's straight fantasy for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's two objections so I'll take it out.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

I love Big Trouble in Little China but I'll third the objection now that it's clear that it's the correct way to go.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hey what's up I got here late and don't know what I'm doing but I'm just happy to be a part of this whole delightful thing. I promise to read the thread in the next day or so!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'd like to renominate The Brutal Brits

I'm also petitioning for the removal of High Society and Rebecca, neither of which were in my original nomination list because they aren't horror films. They just got unilaterally added because someone posted "shouldn't these be in" and the answer is no, they should not.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Let's have Lost and Found and Agents Provacateur back in as well please

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

I'd like to renominate The Brutal Brits

I'm also petitioning for the removal of High Society and Rebecca, neither of which were in my original nomination list because they aren't horror films. They just got unilaterally added because someone posted "shouldn't these be in" and the answer is no, they should not.

I assume you mean High Rise? I know nothing about it and Letterboxd lists it solely as a drama so unless some objects I'll remove it. I'm torn on Rebecca since its listed as a "thriller" and the original actually knocked Hitchcock out in Season 1. But I won't force it if no one objects. Even if its unfair to Alfie.

You will need to add someone since that brings you to 5 films even with the addition of In The Earth. You can do that Dec 4th and on.

Lost & Found technically has 6 films because Christopher MacBride has a second horror film Flashback. I have no idea if that's Found Footage though so you might have to look at that.

Agents Provocateur has 9 films so its good as is.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I did mean High Rise, thanks!

I know the original Rebecca was in Bracketology, but I forced myself to watch the remake (recommendation: don't) and the gothic tone that made Hitchcock's a legit if borderline pick is nowhere to be found.

I know we want to be permissive and allow thrillers and such but I really think that should be an option for the person proposing the list. The mantra last time around was "if its not horror enough, the voting will take care of it", which is fine if I want to risk putting a Showgirls on my own team but less fine if I can use it to spike someone else's list by forcing on some definitely-not-horror films purely based on user-added genre tags from TMDB

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Tarnop posted:

I know we want to be permissive and allow thrillers and such but I really think that should be an option for the person proposing the list. The mantra last time around was "if its not horror enough, the voting will take care of it", which is fine if I want to risk putting a Showgirls on my own team but less fine if I can use it to spike someone else's list by forcing on some definitely-not-horror films purely based on user-added genre tags from TMDB

I agree that it should be the nominator's prerogative to argue for "borderline" movies to be on their team. It would also probably be better to err on the side of the nominator's judgment when it comes to thrillers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I really like High Rise and think it's horror enough fwiw

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I generally just defer to the thread with borderline movies as I did with Big Trouble. I just want to stick to two principles. 1) Be flexible and allow the movies people want in to get in and 2) make sure no one cherry picks out the good and discards the bad. I don't think that's whats happening with Wheatley so unless someone really thinks Rebecca and High Rise belong I'm fine cutting them.

Also I forgot that Marshall released The Reckoning last year so Brutal Brits have 6.

I'm sorry for the confusing mess of the first few posts. My mind is that Always Sunny gif. I'm gonna sit down and try to clean it up today.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Nominating Ngai Choi Lam

The Seventh Curse (1986)
The Cat (1992)
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)
Xue mei gui (1988)
Bi gui zhuo (1986)
Liao zhai yan tan (1987)

Riki-Oh is horror adjacent enough with the gore and all, right?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Riki-oh gets my horror vote

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, I've rewritten the rules and first posts in this thread. I've tried to make them clearer and less of a jumbled mess. Tarnop helped me out on that so big thanks. My mind is a mess and I had a lot of ideas and journeys for the rules over the last year and I just did a bad job composing them. Hopefully now its a simpler layout of rules and nomination examples. And at Tarnop's suggestion I've put all the other more rambling philosophical and history stuff in a FAQ post that can we add questions and issues to as they come up. I think this works better. I hope it does. I'm sorry for the mess and if its still a mess or you still have questions please feel free to speak up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm also gonna renominate these teams.

The Vicious Brothers fka Digital Interface Productions (Colin Minihan, Stuart Ortiz, and Kurtis David Harder)
Guillermo del Toro Presents fka Creature Features (Guillermo del Toro and André Øvredal)
Team Ladies Night (Ana Lily Amirpour, Anna Biller, Juliana Rojas, & Rose Glass)
Radio Silence (Matt Bettinelli-Olpin,Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez, and Chad Villella)

I think the VBs currently qualify but they're all gonna get reserves after Dec 4th.

Also I'm thinking of moving up that to Dec 3rd since (a) that's Friday which was our new round day all year and a workday so people might be more around than the weekend and (b) I had originally planned for the renomination period to be Dec 1st to 4th but I realized there was no point to delaying it so its already been 3 days. Any objections? I just don't want to surprise anyone but its still 3 days from now.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 1, 2021

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

I'm okay with moving things up a day, FWIW.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From a far away land Debbie renominates:

Bon Appetit!
NYC Grime Connection
Deb Tricks You Into Watching Porn
Silent Scream

Bon Appetit! adds The Baby of Mâcon who’s director is already on the team to get to 6.
NYC Grime already has 6.

Deb Tricks You Into Watching Porn and Silent Scream will have to add directors to fully qualify.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Renominating some directors :

Robert Zombie
Dario Argento
George Romero
James Wan
Kiyoshi Kurosawa
Kôji Shiraishi
Takashi Miike

Their lists on the spreadsheet look to be up to date

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 1, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A straight renom, no additions required.

Revenge of the Cat People (Robert Wise and Jacques Tourneur)

I threw this team together on the fly last year just because I liked both directors, but I’m renomming it because I really want to see some 40s representation in this thing after the decade pulled a goose egg last year. So it will probably draw a film not in that decade. At least there’s no Audrey Rose.

1. The Haunting by Robert Wise
2. Curse of the Cat People by Robert Wise
3. The Body Snatcher by Robert Wise
4. A Game of Death by Robert Wise
5. Cat People by Jacques Tourneur
6. Curse of the Demon by Jacques Tourneur
7. The Leopard Man by Jacques Tourneur
8. The Comedy of Terrors by Jacques Tourneur

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And I'm gonna go ahead and nominate Alexandre Aja.

1. Horns
2. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
3. High Tension
4. Piranha 3D (2010)
5. Mirrors
6. Oxygen
7. The 9th Life of Louis Drax
8. Furia

This one is a little iffy. I'm not sure if those last three are horror but they all sound like they could be to me. If someone disagrees and wants them out let me know.

And hell, lets get Tobe Hooper in too.

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
2. Eaten Alive
3. The Funhouse
4. Invaders from Mars
5. The Mangler
6. Spontaneous Combustion
7. Mortuary
8. Dance of the Dead
9. Djinn
10. Night Terrors
11. The Damned Thing
12. I'm Dangerous Tonight

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 1, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thank you STAC Goat for PMing me that this is back.

I'm re-nominating two teams:

Team Rule Breaker (Ant Timpson, Jim Hosking, Harmony Korine, Nicolas Winding Refn), because it only got one movie last time, I think.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
edit: hosed up