Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Excited for a new season, although when I saw this stoned at like 1am last night I was extremely overwhelmed. I think I'm getting a handle on it though, until December 4th we can nominate individual directors and/or re-nominate existing teams from last time. After December 4th you can start nominating new teams? Do I have that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Soavi is a guy who's legacy really would've benefited if he'd made just a few more horror movies. I think he's clearly better than Martino but Martino tends to get mentioned much more often alongside Bava and Argento because he was a lot more prolific than Soavi was.

There's still time I guess, he's only in his mid-60s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Big Trouble in Little China probably is the odd one out there, the toughest to justify as horror. I think most people would probably be fine with They Live and Assault on Precinct 13 though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the Jack Burton character really does make enough of a difference that the movie crosses the line into full-on comedy. Without him I think there would be an argument but he's just too absurdly funny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd like to renominate two Hammer/Amicus guys that didn't make the cut last time, Freddie Francis and Roy Ward Baker.

Edit: Throw Terence Fisher in there as well, I didn't even think of him because I thought he'd used a lot of his films already but he's still got plenty left.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 1, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it does make sense to do it that way because you have directors who are gonna be very appealing options for a lot of people to add to their teams and you want to have the 1 nomination per 12 hours rule in place for that because otherwise it'll come down to whoever gets to post first and nabs all the good ones. Like for example, Soavi will need to be combined with another director to form a team but he's gonna be a valuable addition to any team based on the films he has left.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok so I think I've caught up on the teams already nominated but forgive me if this either of these guys are taken already.

This is a team I wanted to use last time but Spielberg ended up on another team:

Steve's Monster Blockbusters

Jaws(Steven Spielberg)
Jurassic Park(Steven Spielberg)
The Lost World(Steven Spielberg)
Duel(Steven Spielberg)
Something Evil(Steven Spielberg)
Deep Rising(Stephen Sommers)
The Mummy(Stephen Sommers)
The Mummy Returns(Stephen Sommers)
Van Helsing(Stephen Sommers)
Odd Thomas(Stephen Sommers)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You want Jaws and Jurassic Park in the tournament? gently caress you, you also have to take Van Helsing and The Mummy Returns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last Night in Soho will be out on blu ray(and so available as a VOD rental as well) in mid January, it's likely not to be chosen for bracketology until after that date.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My next nomination:

Two Brits and A Kiwi

Hellraiser(Clive Barker)
Night Breed(Clive Barker)
King Kong(Peter Jackson
Heavenly Creatures(Peter Jackson)
Don't Look Now(Nicolas Roeg)
The Witches(Nicolas Roeg)
Puffball(Nicolas Roeg)
Cold Heaven(Nicolas Roeg)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Instead of putting the team together based on a specific gimmick, I went with a team that I thought had a formidable lineup of movies that could stand a chance of going deep in the tournament. Because we all know my other team with Sommers and Spielberg is going nowhere, if it even makes the first cut.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do I have to declare my automatic bid before we do the initial vote? Or can I wait to see which ones don't make the cut?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea that's right, I didn't think about how a team that was voted in would have to be taken out. Obviously that wouldn't be any good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I snagged Roeg already

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll consider the apology and let you know later whether or not it's accepted

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just had a look at the spreadsheet and I definitely want to nominate Don Coscarelli again, he still has some of his best stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A team nomination:

Tales From the Necronomicon

Cemetery Man(Michele Soavi)
The Church(Michele Soavi)
The Sect(Michele Soavi)
The Legend of the Christmas Witch(Michele Soavi)
Castle Freak(Stuart Gordon)
Dreams in the Witch House(Stuart Gordon)
Black Cat(Stuart Gordon)
King of the Ants(Stuart Gordon)
Daughter of Darkness(Stuart Gordon)
Evil Dead(Sam Raimi)
The Gift(Sami Raimi)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually started with building around Soavi because I couldn't leave him unnominated when he still has The Church and Cemetery Man left. But then when I noticed Raimi was left and still had Evil Dead it was a perfect fit with him and Gordon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The automatic bids get relatively high seeds don't they? If that's correct I'm thinking I'm gonna select a horror legend deserving of that spot, just haven't decided yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh cool, I was considering him for my selection. We need some Phantasm in this thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm going to use my automatic bid on Terence Fisher. Looking over the spreadsheet I was struck by now much good stuff he still has left. I always like to see Hammer represented in these things, even if their house style seems to be divisive enough to prevent guys like Fisher from being true contenders.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This "Needs More Goop" person seems like they might be a good choice for the automatic bid, don't know anything about them but my instincts say they are really cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea if you're worried about people being annoyed with potentially having to re-vote, don't be. I woke up this morning looking forward to sitting down with the list and a cup of coffee and it's just a lot of fun deciding who to vote for, I'd happily do it again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
No objection here, the rules are a nice guideline to have but we are doing this for fun after all

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Happy that all 3 of my teams made it, and there's definitely gonna be some crucial dice rolls here because I feel like all of my teams could easily win or lose based on the films that are selected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like when Catherine O'Hara plays a character they always end up more likeable than just what's on the page. So it's hard to tell exactly how much you're supposed to like or dislike her in Beetlejuice when she has so many great memorable moments.

Beettlejuice was the clear winner from the start on this one, but I was glad I did jump in the stream for Hollowman 2 just because I always like when I can see an obscure unnecessary sequel. I'm a sucker for dumb horror sequels and I probably wasn't ever going to have another obvious opportunity to see Hollowman 2. It was pretty bad though, as is Blood Creek just in a way that we horror fans tend to be more forgiving towards. Anyway we're not playing for second place here so Beetlejuice will probably get the flawless victory.

Haven't watched the others yet but I'm looking forward to Re-Animator because I feel like I've only maybe seen it once? I know I've seen the first two a bunch of times but Beyond must not have made much of an impression on me years ago because I've never revisited it and I barely remember it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was definitely impressed with 12 Hour Shift. After some early stumbles(casting Mick Foley was a mistake, he's a terrible actor and it wasn't a good first impression), it really did hit that black comedy sweet spot where it didn't need to make jokes to be funny, the situations were just so absurd that you can't help but laugh. For a movie that seems like it probably had a tiny budget they really were able to get the most out of the setting and for the most part the writing was on point.

I'll watch Snake Sisters today but from what others have said about it I doubt I'll end up voting for it over 12 Hour Shift. Of course part of me always wants to just vote for a Yuzna/Combs film by default but I don't think I can really justify that in this case.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the end Mick Foley's presence didn't hurt the movie because he was barely in it, but throwing him in there so early on had me worried that the entire thing was gonna be amateurish bad acting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately I was tied up this weekend so I couldn't make the streams. I'm decided on the first matchup, having just watched The Forest of Love I think I'd be voting for it in a lot of other situations but personally I just love Jeunet's style too much to go against him. The Forest of Love was unique as well though, and I'm definitely glad I watched it. Trash Humpers was never in serious consideration.

The other matchup is gonna be really interesting, I'm looking forward to diving into that one. I've been meaning to check out The Blackcoat's Daughter for a while now, and Impetigore sounds really cool too. Also Flanagan is a wild card here, I don't give him much of a chance going in but he's still capable of making a competent film so it's totally possible that he'll eek out a close one. A lot of times I'm kinda leaning one way or another before I even watch the films but in this case my mind is totally open to voting for any of the three.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Before I Wake was actually better and more interesting than I was expecting from a Flanagan film. I don't think it stuck the landing, but the premise was really cool and it definitely kept me guessing throughout about how things were gonna play out. And some of it is legitimately disturbing and scary. Also I was pleasantly surprised by Kate Bosworth, I think this was the best performance of anything I've seen her in.

So I dunno I think it has a real shot at getting my vote, I still have to watch the other two in the matchup.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Improbable whimsy is a good way to describe Jeunet's entire career.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What you said is probably the reason why Jeunet is considered to have really knocked it out of the park with Amelie, it was the moment when finally his whimsical style was balanced by a more grounded and relatable story that people could really latch onto. I love City of Lost Children, but I'd say it does have some of that same issue Fran is referring to where it doesn't feel totally cohesive as a world, it can come across as wacky for the sake of wacky at times.

It's certainly not an easy trick though, Brazil is an iconic, timeless film for a reason. When you create an over the top dystopian world that ends up feeling more relevant 30 years later than it did when you made it, that's a huge accomplishment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea it's probably because Caro wasn't involved in the two films Jeunet is most known for, Amelie and Alien Resurrection. I don't know the story of why he wasn't involved in Amelie(wikipedia says he did do some storyboards for Alien Resurrection), but his name is nowhere to be found in the credits.

I mean, Jeunet is not a name we would even know if not for Amelie, that really was a huge movie. Sure, he did Alien Resurrection but if he'd done that and just faded away his name wouldn't be much more than a trivia question for Alien fans.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm liking the extra day, having Friday afternoon/evening to finish up a movie or two that I couldn't get to during the week has been a big help so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ughhhh this is really a tough one. I'm torn between Before I Wake and Impetigore and like a lot of these situations where I feel conflicted it's because the two options are so different. Blackcoat's Daughter didn't have enough individuality and uniqueness for me to seriously consider it here.

It's so close that it's coming down to factors that don't sound that important but I have to break this tie somehow. For instance, Impetigore has an interesting and unusual setting that I personally haven't seen a whole lot of in horror films, whereas Before I Wake mostly takes place in a regular suburban house. Impetigore also has some very very striking shots in the second half that I'm not sure Before I Wake can really match. So I think I'm talking myself into Impetigore here as I post this, but it really came down to how I'm feeling about it today, if I voted tomorrow I could easily flip.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tend to want to vote for classic Universal stuff by default, but Son of Dracula isn't quite good enough for me to feel secure in that until I watch Shallow Grave. While the presence of Chaney Jr. is a plus, I don't think he did a whole lot with this (son of)Dracula portrayal and like others are noting the plot is just very weird and also more boring than it had to be because if often focuses on the wrong things. Nobody gives a poo poo about Kay's idiot boyfriend, but he has to get a ton of screentime I guess because every take on Dracula has to have it's Johnathan Harker.

The positives almost go without saying, it's a 40's Dracula flick with Lon Chaney Jr., so you know it's gonna have some good moments with the charming effects and the solid visuals. But Shallow Grave has been on my radar for years and I've always heard good things about it so it's totally possible I may end up voting for it in the end(I saw The Woman a few years ago and for me it's not in the running here).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna vote for The Bone Snatcher? I dunno I just didn't particularly enjoy any of the three selections in this matchup. At least Bone Snatcher has a cool monster.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen Something Evil so if nothing else at least this will get me to check off that box. There's a good chance I end up voting for it too because 31 is mediocre imo, but the descriptions of Vampire Hunter D do make it seem like something I'd like so we will see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It blows that I was all excited about finally getting my man Stephen Sommers into the tournament and now I have to vote against the team because Spielberg decided to poo poo out a turd three years before he did Jaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

It's not that bad. I have compliments across the board. There's some really clever camera framing and set-ups. The house and location are interesting. Sandy Dennis kills it in the role, and convincingly sells the character's manic "Is this real?" without being too over-the-top or annoying. Jeff Corey is also pretty successfully creepy as the old caretaker. I got genuinely unnerved and spooked by more than one of the crying child sequences.

It falls perfectly into that valley of "It's not really bad" and "It's not really good". A perfectly balanced 2.5 on the scale of 5.

It loses points because of the limitations, and because it's clear Spielberg has more growing to do as a filmmaker, and that the script isn't very dynamic. But it gains points because it's the same year as Altman's Images (which it wouldn't be ripping off because that was a flop), and it's years before the Amityville Horror murders even took place, or The Omen, so it's weirdly ahead of it's time.

I wish I agreed, and we agree on most things but I just didn't find much to like in the movie. The house felt flat and boring to me, I was not a fan of Sandy Dennis' performance, and I just didn't respond to the spooks like you did. I didn't get unnerved or spooked in any way. Maybe it was a movie that ended up suffering from the group watch format, maybe I would've been more creeped out if I was watching on my own.

I do agree though that it's ahead of it's time when you look at the year it was made and the various famous films that came after. So yea it does get points for that.