Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
God I loving love matte paintings in movies. I really wish they were still common, they add so much creativity and surreality to a film. I think my favourite of those you posted is the one from (I think) Red Sonja, with the animal bone bridge. Any way you can add the names of the films they are from?

Raiders of the lost Ark

From Dusk till Dawn

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
A couple more, as I remember them:

Return of the Jedi

Poltergeist

*edited post to remove black borders

Pb and Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 30, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

These are cool as poo poo, but yeah please post what they all are

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's a great book called The Invisible Art by Mark Cotta Vaz and Craig Barron about the classic era of matte paintings. So many older movies had way more of them than you'd think; the odds are if you could see a set's ceiling, it wasn't really there.

Unfortunately I think the book's long out of print. Looking on Amazon UK, the paperback is going for over £400 used.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched the first four Star Trek films this past week and they're packed with great classic matte paintings. It seemed like every ten minutes there was a new matte painting to look at.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

God I loving love matte paintings in movies. I really wish they were still common

They still are, kind of. Every VFX studio still employs Digital Matte Painters as a separate group of artists from people who do 3D environments, and although it's more in the realm of photo collage now, it still involves a lot of painting to make the light and texture match the surrounding environment.

I get what you mean about the surreal feeling of classic matte paintings though. Nowadays directors commonly complain about things being too "painterly".

Ad Astra's a good example of how classic matte painting has evolved.

While we did build a 3D model for the lunar city, it was very basic, and based very closely on this concept art, which the director loved and wanted us to match exactly:

As you can see, very clean lines and not a lot of complex shapes or extra detail.

As the movie progressed, the director changed his mind about matching the concept when it became clear it wouldn't hold up on screen, so more detail needed to be added by a 2D DMP artist. Pretty much every element in this image that doesn't feature in the original art was added by the matte painter:

The other angles of the base had the same issue. The 3D model the director approved wasn't detailed enough to hold up, so a digital matte painter had to save the shots by painting bespoke detail into it. This also created a minor continuity headache, since the director wanted to see specific branding in certain shots - meaning the giant neon cowboy moves around the base (potentially as some kind of soulless mechanical guardian).

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 2, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lynch's Dune

Couldn't find a higher res one sadly.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Yeah OP it would be awesome if you labelled the movies. Some of those look rad and I'd love to see them in the actual film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Some mattes from Mechanical Violator Hakaider, I haven't seen it but these screen caps make me want to!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Various episodes of ST:TNG.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

"What Episode of Star Trek was that used in?"

"Yes"

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Does anyone know what movie the 5th one is?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Does anyone know what movie the 5th one is?
Might be Gaedi Prime from Lynch's Dune?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Payndz posted:

Might be Gaedi Prime from Lynch's Dune?
Correct!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Wizard Master, I beseech you, please label those shots.

Anyways, here's Tron, a movie that's approximately 70% album cover matte painting by weight:

I feel like I could have made a screen shot every second frame and gotten a different fantastic matte. Credit to Cuckoo's Nest.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Schwarzwald posted:

Wizard Master, I beseech you, please label those shots.

Anyways, here's Tron, a movie that's approximately 70% album cover matte painting by weight:

I feel like I could have made a screen shot every second frame and gotten a different fantastic matte. Credit to Cuckoo's Nest.

Pretty sure a few of those are CG rather than paintings (the carrier and solar sailer). But yes, it's a hell of a showcase for traditional art and animation techniques, ironically. The CG was so cutting edge and expensive they only used it when they absolutely had to, and the rest was filled in with the challenge to the artists of making their work look not realistic, yet stylised in a very particular way.

Which was one of the sequel's failings, IMO; it didn't look weird enough.
Edit: I rewatched Legacy last night, and yeah - the decision to go in large part with real costumes, sets and props made to look 'Tron-y' worked against it. There's a... mundanity to it, a feeling that everything has been designed like a real-world item and then decorated with LEDs and strip lights rather than being unconstrained by physical necessity. Even the CG stuff feels hobbled by 'realism'. Why do Recognisers now need rocket engines to fly? Why can't they just hover mysteriously because that's how they're programmed?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 25, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Payndz posted:

Pretty sure a few of those are CG rather than paintings (the carrier and solar sailer). But yes, it's a hell of a showcase for traditional art and animation techniques, ironically. The CG was so cutting edge and expensive they only used it when they absolutely had to, and the rest was filled in with the challenge to the artists of making their work look not realistic, yet stylised in a very particular way.

Which was one of the sequel's failings, IMO; it didn't look weird enough.

Certainly some of it was CG, but I am not at all confident I could tell them apart (outside some particularly obvious CG).

Anyway, here's another two, including a rare real world Tron matte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Those Tron mattes are awesome, I really should rewatch that movie. I barely remember it