Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You should watch Strike Back instead, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don’t have Disney+.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’s pretty interesting. I listened to The Beatles a lot when I was younger because of my parents but never really knew much about what went on when they weren’t playing. I haven’t seen any other behind the scenes stuff, so this is neat. Watching Get Back come together like that was very cool. And reminding myself they’re all in their late 20s during this is pretty wild.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i just finished the first part, its cool. the heavyhanded overlaid panning of news articles about immigration while they're just dicking around making poo poo up is kind of silly. paul coming up with get back on the spot was a pretty great moment. its nice to see linda, shes basically in 10 frames total of the original let it be. maybe ~9 hours is a bit excessive to ask of an audience for such dry material but ill quite gladly sit through all of it lol

also if anyone needs evidence that GBS loving sucks, please see most of the first page of this thread

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 30, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought it was really funny that George bought some Hari Krishna guys that just kinda say there against the wall behind them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mycophobia posted:

My favorite beverage is water also

:qq:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i sincerely feel bad for all the haters ITT

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

punishedkissinger posted:

Listen to this old fool rambling on like "kid's these days, no respect :argh:"

The Beatles suck.

Why don't we do it in the road is a cool song though. For real.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Should've made a movie about All Things Must Pass. George is infinitely more cool than the other 3 combined.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

okay i'm watching it now and it's really interesting

paul is so obviously the most talented in basically every area possible out of them all

george is really loving up the wa, dude just refuses to try anything

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 30, 2021

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

paul is so obviously the most talented in basically every area possible out of them all

one shouldn't discount john's ability, i think he was addicted to heroin and otherwise at a creative nadir at this point. he barely has any songs on the original version of the let it be album, and one of them was a leftover from a charity album

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

AHH F/UGH posted:

But Paul is also the guy who just doesn't know when to chill, which must have been annoying as gently caress for the others. It'd be like winning the World Cup and as soon as the final whistle blows some guy is like okay let's watch some game film and work on those set pieces, gotta be ready to run some drills tomorrow morning if we want to repeat in 4 years

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
beatles? not even once, OP

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Smeef posted:

But Paul is also the guy who just doesn't know when to chill, which must have been annoying as gently caress for the others. It'd be like winning the World Cup and as soon as the final whistle blows some guy is like okay let's watch some game film and work on those set pieces, gotta be ready to run some drills tomorrow morning if we want to repeat in 4 years

i mean he's right though, when you've got 12 days to finish 14 songs you have to be methodical

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

holy poo poo watching them just pluck Get Back out of the ether in real time is crazy

like god drat

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

holy poo poo watching them just pluck Get Back out of the ether in real time is crazy

like god drat

Its insanely cool to see how that just goes from some simple chords on the bass to a legit song, I've never seen anything like it

also I don't know why so many people are trying to ruin this thread

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Also if 8 hours of Get Back isn't enough for you, Hulu has McCartney 3 2 1, which is a series of like 8 episodes with Paul and Rick Rubin talking about how they made different songs. And one of the other streaming services has a 4-hour (?) documentary about George by Martin Scorsese.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

No I’m a busy adult with a JOB.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
fun fact they're called the BEATles cause john lennon BEAT his wives

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mycophobia posted:

i just finished the first part, its cool. the heavyhanded overlaid panning of news articles about immigration while they're just dicking around making poo poo up is kind of silly. paul coming up with get back on the spot was a pretty great moment. its nice to see linda, shes basically in 10 frames total of the original let it be. maybe ~9 hours is a bit excessive to ask of an audience for such dry material but ill quite gladly sit through all of it lol

also if anyone needs evidence that GBS loving sucks, please see most of the first page of this thread

Good God.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
It was pretty funny how part way through part 1 John and Ringo agreed to take turns being completely strung out on heroin, then John quit the band because it was cutting in to his heroin-doing time too much

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

I don’t. They barged in to do abuse disguised as comedy by yelling the same stale jokes over and over. Screw them. Look at this guy:

Mac and Cheese posted:

fun fact they're called the BEATles cause john lennon BEAT his wives

I mean, isn’t he just a SCREAM? It’s not like blustering into Beatles chat to yell this is hoary enough that the Onion has remarked on it. Or that John was ruefully discussing his pattern of abuse shortly before he died, trying to come to grips with it.

I mean, god, what a casual. A true Beatles fan knows that Ringo was likely worse than John.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

When I was a wee lad, I bought a CED player with a few movies just because I thought it was cool technology and cheap at a yard sale. Let It Be was one of those movies, and probably the main reason I bought it since I loved The Beatles.

It sucked rear end and was nothing but the band being catty bitches to each other. I’m glad the unseen footage along with Let It Be has been reconstructed into a coherent Get Back, but ehhhh.

Kinda wanna see it, but I don’t have Disney+ :fart:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

beatles SUCK

:boom:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Just realized that most of the haters in the thread are probably confusing the Beatles with the much better known the lovely Beatles, who do in fact suck and it's not just a clever name.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Smeef posted:

Just realized that most of the haters in the thread are probably confusing the Beatles with the much better known the lovely Beatles, who do in fact suck and it's not just a clever name.

I'm more of a Crucial Taunt guy

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Jolly Green Giants are way better than both, IMO.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I have truly never liked any band, person, or subject enough to watch an 8 hour documentary about it :shrug:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I like the Beatles and I tried watching it but after an hour of watching them dick around and play TV show themes I was bored silly. There's nothing visually interesting about what I saw.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I haven't watched it

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
A Peter Jackson movie that's way too long? Inconceivable.

ArnieD
Apr 1, 2015
I'm watching, it's pretty interesting stuff. I still need to see part 3, did the Beatles ended up playing in a Roman amphitheater ruins in Libya in the end?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I liked the part where the Beetles were playing on the moon and Charlie Watts twirled his sticks in the air but they just floated off into the blackness of space.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

don Jaime posted:

I don’t. They barged in to do abuse disguised as comedy by yelling the same stale jokes over and over. Screw them. Look at this guy:

I mean, isn’t he just a SCREAM? It’s not like blustering into Beatles chat to yell this is hoary enough that the Onion has remarked on it. Or that John was ruefully discussing his pattern of abuse shortly before he died, trying to come to grips with it.

I mean, god, what a casual. A true Beatles fan knows that Ringo was likely worse than John.

I'm still unclear to what extent John was physically abusive to Yoko. He definitely hit Cynthia on at least one occasion from what I can find and probably hit Yoko?

What's the deal with Ringo? Hadn't heard that before.

zakharov posted:

A Peter Jackson movie that's way too long? Inconceivable.

I actually think it would be worse if they cut it any shorter. The length allows for a lot of really small moments and gives it a real intimate feel it would lack otherwise. if you've ever been in a band it's a really familiar vibe. I enjoyed just kinda having it on and chatting with my partner over the particularly slow parts.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
The best part so far was George's guitar falling over and taking Ringo's cymbal with it lol

That is the essence of band practice right there

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mycophobia posted:

one shouldn't discount john's ability, i think he was addicted to heroin and otherwise at a creative nadir at this point. he barely has any songs on the original version of the let it be album, and one of them was a leftover from a charity album

yeah, john and paul were a pair and it's for good reason that they always shared songwriting credits. that bit that showed "get back" being formed was basically what lennon/mccartney looked like all the time during the beatles heyday from what i understand, they'd riff off each other spontaneously and were an endless font of creativity together. i like a lot of post-beatles individual mccartney and individual lennon but you can absolutely see how their styles complemented each other and synthesized into something greater than the sum of its parts for the beatles.

the show is long but i'm enjoying it so far. i like the beatles a lot though

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I disagree that it's mostly them bickering or being dysfunctional. It's only really the Paul/George disagreement early on, and most of that just seemed unresolved from the 'Hey Jude' incident. It's clear that without Brian Epstein around there's no one to corral them, and Paul knows if he doesn't then no one will, and he's aware of how annoying it is to the others. I've worked on projects at work that have been more heated than these sessions were.

More than anything else they're just having fun being around eachother. And you get lovely moments like Ringo saying he could watch Paul play piano for hours.

It's wild to think that 3 weeks after this they were back in the studio again anyway to record ABBEY ROAD. Then you see Allen Klein show up in this and realise there's a lot more story to go.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DrVenkman posted:

It's wild to think that 3 weeks after this they were back in the studio again anyway to record ABBEY ROAD. Then you see Allen Klein show up in this and realise there's a lot more story to go.

this was huge for me too. just seeing how grueling this entire process was and knowing they went on to make what is probably their most ambitious album immediately after. mindblowing. i can see why they were all burnt/strung out by the time they split.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol it’s 8 hours?! Hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

I'm still unclear to what extent John was physically abusive to Yoko. He definitely hit Cynthia on at least one occasion from what I can find and probably hit Yoko?

What's the deal with Ringo? Hadn't heard that before.

Yoko has never described physical abuse, but did describe John chatting up another woman right in front of her. She tried turning the tables by talking about an open marriage and she maybe having sex with another man, but he was agreeable. This is the lead up to the 18-month breakup.

There was a girlfriend before Cynthia who got punched in the neck and dumped John instantly. Weirdly, they stayed friends and corresponded for a while. I’m still stunned Cynthia said she was hit once. I would have expected that to be more frequent.

Ringo’s first wife, Mo, described him as an Andy Capp - always drunk, always cheating, and always ready to hit. His favorite trick was to come home late from carousing and demand she get out of bed and cook him a hot dinner, even if it was 4 in the morning. She finally got back at him by sleeping with George.

One day, Ringo woke up from one of his pass out drinking binges to find his second wife, Barbara, had two black eyes. He wanted to fight whoever had punched her and was stunned it was him. He had no memory of doing it. That’s when he went into rehab. He’s been frank about how awful he was and even managed to make up with Mo before she died.