Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

okay i'm watching it now and it's really interesting

paul is so obviously the most talented in basically every area possible out of them all

george is really loving up the wa, dude just refuses to try anything

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 30, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Smeef posted:

But Paul is also the guy who just doesn't know when to chill, which must have been annoying as gently caress for the others. It'd be like winning the World Cup and as soon as the final whistle blows some guy is like okay let's watch some game film and work on those set pieces, gotta be ready to run some drills tomorrow morning if we want to repeat in 4 years

i mean he's right though, when you've got 12 days to finish 14 songs you have to be methodical

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

holy poo poo watching them just pluck Get Back out of the ether in real time is crazy

like god drat

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol This rules

Part 2 starts with Ringo, Paul and George just putting Yoko on blast for the first 10 minutes saying how she's loving up the group

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

This did make me go back and listen to LET IT BE, and I still prefer the Naked version while disliking the released one even more (though everyone knows the Glyn Johns rejected version is the best). Spector really does brutalise some of those songs with his production. The Long And Winding Road in particular is a much sadder song without strings and a choir over the top of it.

I listened to the Gyln Johns mixes after watching this and had the opposite reaction - I think they sound loving awful. I think Naked is best but I don't hate everything that Spector did, but at least I can say he knew how to mix a fuckton better than Glyn Johns.

In fact, looking at the album now, the only song that really was messed with by Spector was The Long and Winding Road, so I'm not sure where all the hate really comes from. Everything else is either rooftop, random screwarounds, or just normal recordings like For You Blue, Two of Us, etc.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

mycophobia posted:

let it be, across the universe and i me mine all have orchestral accompaniments that detract from them op

Those are barely noticeable imho. The Let It Be Naked version of both of them were basically indistinguishable to the original when I heard them

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

kntfkr posted:

cornershop.....

Brimful of jane asher on the

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Really cool to see Ringo actually bringing out Octopus's Garden, then to see George's interest pique, and come over and start learning it and collaborating. Then to see it kind of morph through the natural process of "finding the chords" and again plucking them out of the ether as if it's just waiting for you to find it. Really incredible stuff. You can see George even hits that C#m 6th chord one time and is almost able to instantly recognize that's the correct path for the pre-chorus, but accidentally loses it and they spend a while finding it again.

Makes me have a lot more respect for Ringo knowing that he actually was the one who started that ball rolling and wasn't just basically singing on a George song.

edit: Part 3 starts with more making fun of Yoko. lol sounding like a dumb annoying child

edit2: lol John and Yoko both passed the gently caress out in the control room and Ringo barely able to stay awake after drinking all weekend. Jesus they were such a mess.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 4, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Big Beef City posted:

They're famous for being famous and you're in love with them for no drat reason.
2/3'ds of their material or more sucks rear end and the rest isnt much better.
They're mass marketed and did well by it.

yeah the reason they're insanely popular for 50 years after they broke up is a mystery, 99.999% of the world is actually wrong and they suck. thank you professor genious.

do you ever get tired of being the most disliked poster on the forums because you seem to relish it

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I feel like I'm being personally attacked for stating that reese's peanut butter cups were a mass marketed food item with zero nutritional substance and that people eating them 60 years after the fact and trying to find deliciousness in it are the weird ones. But the thing is that I'm not wrong.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just finished the last part.

So loving good, and as someone else noted, felt shorter than the 160 mins of No Time To Die.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

That’s why he rules. He also always shows up and is drama free.

A drummer who can

1. Show up on time every day,
2. Sober (enough) and
3. Keep tempo

is basically a gold mine and you should never let them leave

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Seaniqua posted:

everyone should listen to more Billy Preston

Everyone's heard it a million times but imagine listening to the opening piano riff of Nothing From Nothing and not getting funky as gently caress in your chair or wherever you're walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX2bE-OBtwk

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 4, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

don Jaime posted:

By this time they had three singer-songwriters frustrated that they were limited to five songs per album, tops. Epstein might have made the breakup happier by limiting their exposure to financial issues, but they were moving beyond the Beatles creatively. Sad that without the pressure cooker of the Beatles, no solo Beatle could match that creativity over whole albums.

Band On The Run is slamming from front to back and better than like, Beatles For Sale and their early albums with tons of cover songs. Hell I’d say it’s better than Magical Mystery Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's cool how they're like "Yeah here's a tune I was kicking around, maybe something Ringo could do" and he's just totally accepting that they're basically throwing him a bone to keep him feeling involved.

Ralph Hurley posted:

I know Beatles fans tend to hate Yoko but I enjoyed that brief moment with her doing her screamo thing while the band got weird along with her. After sitting there quietly the whole time doing crosswords or whatever you can see her eyes light up when she gets to do her thing with them and the Beatles become Melt Banana for a few seconds. I wanted more of that.

I’ve only watched part 1 and part of 2 (fell asleep) and so far my favorite parts are the partially formed song ideas that don’t go anywhere but still sound cool and are just Beatles songs that could have been.

It's interesting to see how tolerant they were of all that poo poo, but it's mostly when they're just jamming and screwing around. When they rehearse, that's when she's gotta shut up.

It's a big like having a cool friend who suddenly becomes a MAGA chud or something. Like bro what the hell happened to you, you've got this weird parasite in your brain suddenly that's talking for you. When they go to talk with George at his house and Paul mentions she did a lot of the talking, especially for John, you knew they were hosed. When they went back as just the three of them, it worked.