Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
IMO the generation of some of these complicated and weighted composite statistics(like DVOA, QBR, etc.) are a fool's errand and it doesn't seem like they're that useful from a business standpoint. Are the people satisfied by "was this guy good" statistics really going to buy a subscription, or is it the guy who wants to know how often the DE lines up at DT without spending three hours on NFL gamepass? It might just be me but I am a lot more interested in their less convoluted stats and the stuff where my interest outweighs my guilt about them paying some poor Bangladeshi guy $5 a day to count how many times Christian Wilkins is in coverage,

Chucktesla posted:

Can any of these big brained stat guys tell the difference between split zone and duo

I think that's really kind of it- there aren't a lot of guys who can put the full picture together on both the statistics and football side, and I imagine those who can are probably guys who are largely employed and trained by actual NFL teams and not posting and selling subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I do think we're entering into a weird period of time in which analytics isn't going to disproven or whatever but a lot of the "don't run" evangelists are going to get owned in increasingly obvious ways.

Defenses are finding a way to slow down the passing explosion with split safeties, and offenses are adjusting by running against the light boxes. We'll probably see some sort of evolution in the next year followed by a widespread adoption, but I think we've got a bit of a weird situation where some of the tools for slowing down these offenses(ie front-7 guys who can play in gap and a half/two-gap to let you just play split safeties) or the stuff for beating those adjustments on offense(good in-line TEs) don't exactly grow on trees.