Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
A local radio station uses Twitter to show what they're playing. I thought that was super useful and neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Therapy was extremely good today. Thanks to all of you for your continued support and well wishes.

Glad to hear that you're doing well.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
STR, you can get a windows 10 key for cheap on SA Mart if needed.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

I got Moderna for the first two shots. No reaction to the first. The second made my arm hurt like no shot I've had before. I got a Pfizer booster because that was the only flavor they had at the hospital (I was there for a doctor visit). I barely even felt the shot going into my arm but it also hurt pretty bad the following two days.

Our little almost-five-year-old wants a "makeup table" for Christmas. My wife found an old example with very beat up paint. I took it apart. My wife sanded all the flat parts. I put the round legs in my wood lathe and turned them to sand the old paint off. I reassembled it and painted it yesterday. The top needs to be sanded, shot again with color, and then cleared.

Our daughter picked the paint. She has seen the vanity, but we have told her it is going to be my new computer desk.

That’s super cool.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

builds character posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap laptop I can buy for my niece? She needs one and I don't want to do research and people here are smart and have opinions. Does not have to have a ridiculous clicky clacky keyboard.

What's your budget? My definition of cheap might not be the same as yours.

KillHour posted:

What will she be doing with it?

This too. A laptop that is used for writing papers and browsing the internet is going to be different than say one for development. Are there any programs she needs to run?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

builds character posted:

school work? She's in HS. She likes to do art stuff but not on the computer I think.

I think you should ask her what she would use said laptop for.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

laptop thread in SHSC will help you but probably gently used Lenovo enterprise laptop

This or Dell business line is probably a good answer. Chromebook might also work well. especially if they use one for school.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've had like 10 people tell me today that they've tested positive in the last week. No tests near me for a week either.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

No kidding. I've known him since I was.. 12? 13? And our respective families go back at least two generations (though we met because of BBSs, not family). He's basically turned into his dad, without the alcoholism.

He's always been pretty right wing, but this is a whole nother level.

I've got a friend that sounds just like your friend. I've noticed that they're stuck being the same person they were when they were in high school. I'm surprised they haven't gone down the anti vax route yet. I've basically cut them out too.

They said a bunch of racist and homophobic stuff during the election that turned me off. They got very excited to tell me they were having a kid after years of trying and I could barely stomach talking to them because of all the awful things they said before :smith:. It sucks.

Not trying to make this a competition or anything, just trying to commiserate.

Mustache Ride posted:

Do we want things to go back to 2019? That was a pretty lovely year too, it was just in "the before times" so I guess it was better?

Not completely but I'd like to be able to visit friends and family without worrying if I'm going to get sick or get them sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

good thing i didnt get my haircut before xmas, barber came down with the cron -

Listen!

So remember when I asked some audio nerds to help me out with some sound system profiling? I scaled back on my silly asks and I think I'm just going to go with a more simple system for the room in question, which is essentially an ADU off my garage thats 10x12, its going to be a tiki bar so style is a thing I'm after -

I found this thing :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0851HGH73/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3LLMZ9K72U9P2&psc=1

before you get all "spend more and get x" - I've done a bit of looking and I feel like something like this would work for me, as well as become part of the style of the tiki bar - which is going to be like an indiana jones lookin outpost

my question is, if I was to run 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C7SJ2J3/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LLMZ9K72U9P2

would that be enough to fill a room as I described with sound?

I've been slowly starting to understand impedance and basics of amplification - I kinda get it, kinda dont - I'm wondering if I could wire maybe 4 passive speakers to hit all 4 corners of the room... would that be enough, is it possible? Am I an idiot for thinking I can get out of this so cheap?

Have you done any research into tube amps? They can distort the sound. If you're into that, go for it. It's hard to say if those speakers will fill the room well without actually hearing them. It's amazon so you could buy it all, wire it up, and return if you don't like it. I have these and really like them:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-Driver-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00O8YLMVA

I've seen them go on sale from best buy and b&h photo for ~$70. With my goodwill receiver, they can get very loud.

EDIT:

It seems like your speaker budget is ~$160. Why not spend the money and get a pair of nicer speakers instead of 4 potentially mediocre speakers?

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 30, 2021