Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

sharkytm posted:

It's my mom's phone background.

as it should be.

I bit the bullet and got all of our phone pics of little man printed from his first year. It was very expensive, but for this reason exactly.

pictures like this:

and

and..

you get the picture(s)

I get super emotional that my mom never got to meet him, but I'm doing my best impression of her every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, today was the first day since February of 2020 that I actually had a commute to work, it was also the first day since 2015 that I've worked in the sports event industry

I resigned in 2015 after the sudden passing of my mom, but it wasn't the only reason I left- I was young, dumb and kinda angry.

It was quite a day for me in the sense that I actually have a chance to right the wrongs of my past, and to really understand how reinvented my career has become.

There's a very specific personality that does this work, and as I saw these old contacts they looked at me like I was a ghost, one girl even said "what the hell are you doing here?". I got a text mid day from one of the only people I got along with back then, she wasn't there at these meetings, but she said they were all talking about me in their slack group - my new boss is very high up, thus making me high up, perhaps even higher than anyone in my previous position, and I think that irked them.

Back then they would tease me because of what I was in to like "hey lobsterboyx, watch the game this weekend?, whats that, you missed it because you were at the sock hop?" - dumb jock poo poo like that constantly, I'd rib them too,. Today, almost instantly, one by one, I watched them (at least I think) take a gulp and welcome me back as a senior to them.

Anyway, this is the only place I feel comfortable sharing something like this so..

because of this job, I've been spending money like its going out of style, and I got my 3rd Jewish Space Laser positioning chip installed last Friday and escaped with almost no side effects other than some fatigue. After watching a few friends have some bad reactions earlier in the week I was pretty relieved.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What's the SoFi Stadium like? Looks incredible, but then we don't have anything remotely like that in my tiny island nation.

I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but being that its so new, its showing an awful lot of wear for something that has barely been broken in. It's massive, and being that its been foggy, hazy and cool here, it was so big that it's got it's own weather systems forming inside of it. There's a lot of really nice looking materials used, but I noticed a lot of strange finish choices that dont exactly lend themselves to longevity. There's a ton of "fluff" in the form of clubs and theaters and other non sports stuff in and around it.

unpopular opinion: this is going to look super dated in a few years, and unless kept up, I can see this place looking like a dump pretty quickly.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Have some old co-workers who are there now.

goon meet at the pre-viz?

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 7, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'd really like a senior level workload...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ITT: a support group. Hearing these stories really puts things in to perspective for me- I feel the value of this and the other monthly threads is anynmity. Although some of you know me better than others, I feel like writing here is almost like a Dear Jane column for aging early internet adopters who have a car fetish.

That being said, Rhyno I'm glad your making it thru the fog, therapy can be very helpful. I spent some time in therapy as a younger person, and I am always thankful that I was able to avoid holding on to things that would be a detriment to my adulthood.

along that parallel, but in no way that severe, my most tenure with the NFL has brought up some feelings that had been gone for some time, last week I saw a lot of old faces, and quickly realized that this line of work may no longer be for me in some regards - I'm working with a lot of younger people, and while I feel like one of them, the second they open their mouths, I quickly realize I'm not, and that reenforces how out of touch and how much I've grown since becoming a father. Kinda made me happy, but at the same time worried me a bit as well. I think the next career chapter for me is going to have to be more on my own terms, however finding the mental strength and creativity to facilitate that has been difficult. I'm hoping as my son progresses and gets in to school, the pressures I'm feeling now will be a bit more manageable. My wife is exhausted and I don't blame her for her crankiness, I'm just getting worn down by it.

My first day back in an office setting, was unfortunately my last, that day the offices, and satellite offices of my company were all shut down due to, you guessed it, covid. both lobsterwifex and I were very much looking forward to me being out of the house. So needless to say I have had a bit of anxiety regarding the covid stuff, got tested a few times and today, negative, no effects, and I wore a mask the whole time I was there - Pretty sure I'm in the clear.

in other news, I had my new cannon on my front porch pointed at a nasty neighbors house and I got in a bit of trouble, got a text from neighborhood watch captain saying that (nasty neighbor) didn't appreciate having a cannon pointed at her front door, although "she deserves it". who woulda thunk it...

So now its in the back yard:

Anyone have any suggestions on a sealer to seal this wood from the elements?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I just recently deleted "mom" off my phone, it hurt a lot.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new MBP - my mid 2015 is still a bruiser, but just 2 days ago I learned that the new updates of the Adobe Suite (my bread and butter moneymaker) isn't doing updates for my hardware set anymore, which doesn't bode well for the heavy design work that's being thrown at me lately.

I have a stack of old computers, and other phones and pads that I want to turn in, hopefully it wont sting that hard. I'm thinking about financing it too, even tho I have the money for it outright...

My next plan is to wipe this rig, replace the screen and battery and gift this to my wife - thoughts on if I should let apple do that or an independent?

also

I'm about to break with all this bad news.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Time to start prepping the meat for tomorrow.

I was 'finna do a roast a-la Alton Brown's method, I rode my bike in the light drizzle (with a package rack, its a 1940s Dayton) down to the corner butcher shop only to find out that they had a few racks, the one I picked, the guy threw up on the scale, I asked how much...

$170

Needless to say I didn't do a roast this year.

- In other news, I took the high road and tested before our family get together, as did everyone else in attendance, while my brain tells me that its the right thing to do, my heart hurts that we're back to this kind of crap again.

We had a good time, Lobstersonx had a great time with his cousins, shot some 'nog down, did secret santa, it was fun until full meltdown mode, loaded up and got home, lobstersonx has been having a really hard time getting to sleep - we both are at our wits ends, he just talks and talks and talks so we cant get mad, his vocabulary increases every day, hes stringing words together and is as cute as ever, I'd be excited to to learn how to talk, so we're not too mad about it. He also had a 2.5 hour long nap today before, so there you go. Also, you gotta respect this drip..

My wife's family is awesome, I don't have any family here anymore so they are so awesome to me, and it really does feel like family. My sister-in-law and I are in the same line of work, so we wind up talking shop a lot. Lobsterwifex has always kinda gone against the grain of her family, as one of 3 sisters, she's always been the odd one out, the other two sisters are bottle blondes who drive fancy cars, lobsterwifex, ex punk, edgy mom, old car driving, vintage loving, betty bang having - you know the type. Anyway, our claim to fame for the secret santa is always the silly gifts, this year did not disapoint, a 30 pack of slimey rubber chicken sling shooters, and a 8' wide blanket that looks like a tortilla.

both Nonagenarian grandmas got our silly gifts, much laughter was had.

Anyway, get home, fight the baby to sleep, then I'm about to retire to my chamber when I hear the unpleasant sight/sound of idling diesel and bright flood lights - head outside, ambulance at my neighbors house - in her 70s, lived alone until just recently when her 47 year old son moved home, he's freaking out, all the neighbors come outside - She's been fighting a bowel problem, and I guess it reared up, along with super high blood pressure. Kinda nervous, this woman is a stand in grandmother to my son, and my wife and her hang almost daily, Barb does my wifes eyebrows for her and is generally a great lady. Not really how I wanted to waft to sleep this christmas eve.

oh, its also raining

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

slidebite posted:

This is going to spur development of a universal corona-virus vaccine. We won't have to keep up with variant specific shots and it might be closer than we think
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2021/12/22/armys-vaccine-could-protect-against-all-coronavirus-variants/?sh=2140477b2eec

If it doesn't pan out I don't think that there is a mainstream medical professional at this point that doesn't think it will become endemic and require regular boosters...

two crucial things here - first of all, what a plot twist and quite the character arc - the US Army saves the day again?

also, moreso than that, the second point you made seems to be currently the most overlooked fact in reporting on this.

This, like all things will pass, if you get off on doom and gloom, your wasting your time here.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
good thing i didnt get my haircut before xmas, barber came down with the cron -

Listen!

So remember when I asked some audio nerds to help me out with some sound system profiling? I scaled back on my silly asks and I think I'm just going to go with a more simple system for the room in question, which is essentially an ADU off my garage thats 10x12, its going to be a tiki bar so style is a thing I'm after -

I found this thing :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0851HGH73/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3LLMZ9K72U9P2&psc=1

before you get all "spend more and get x" - I've done a bit of looking and I feel like something like this would work for me, as well as become part of the style of the tiki bar - which is going to be like an indiana jones lookin outpost

my question is, if I was to run 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C7SJ2J3/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LLMZ9K72U9P2

would that be enough to fill a room as I described with sound?

I've been slowly starting to understand impedance and basics of amplification - I kinda get it, kinda dont - I'm wondering if I could wire maybe 4 passive speakers to hit all 4 corners of the room... would that be enough, is it possible? Am I an idiot for thinking I can get out of this so cheap?

in other news, ive been oiling this antique 7' long gator hide for a few days... why? why not.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
the thing thats hard to express when talking about my personal needs with audio stuff is that I really don't listen to anything that deserves really nice audio. this room is going to be playing a lot of mono recorded music from 70 to 100 years ago, sound effects of birds chirping in the rain forrest and 1940s radio broadcasts. Pretty much this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUOmWfCTllo&t=312s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ARTPUP posted:

If I were you, I'd try this: Get yourself an old 30s/40s standing radio with the guts taken out of it. Cut the front face off or make a panel so you can open it like a cabinet. Then build a shelf unit inside and drop in a "goodwill" or "electronic recycling" vintage receiver, maybe add some LED glowing lights for the outside dial. Then you'd have a vintage radio look with a dirt cheap receiver stereo inside. Get yourself a couple of wooden tiki / voodoo masks and put some cheap speakers in the mouths and mount them up in the ceiling.

I have a few things I was going to do that with, including a 1936 Rockola juke that I'm considering for the space.

Raluek posted:

of all people, lobsterboy is the one i would least expect to see preferring some cheapo stuff from amazon over like, some 40yo sansui kit from craigslist

that said, sounds like you've got something really specific that you want in mind

well, I'm running in to a lot of walls with this, I don't want a massive project just to be able to listen to my bullshit music in this space - and quality noise making stuff has never really been my forte so this is why I'm kinda drawing blanks here.

as I've described before, this room is going to be very immersive, and my goal is to make it somewhat rentable for photo shoots and/or tv movie shoots. I've been collecting artifacts for this room for so long, I'm focusing on the presentation of that rather than the quality of the sound in said room.

now,

In my garage I have this:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/cmt-rb5.shtml

I made a little shelf for the receiver part of it, then mounted the speakers on little shelves, pointed inward at the top corners of the garage door. I have a logitech bluetooth adapter that I have plugged in to it it with one of those little headphone plugs that splits to RCA jacks.

Just to give you all an idea of what I'm working with; aside from my 2006 lexus Mark Levinson sound system, this goofy rear end setup is the "nicest" sound system I currently own that can play things from my phone. Every thing else that makes sound in my home is tube driven and no less than, again, 70 years old. The other thing I listen to in my home is a 1937 Firestone (yes that firestone) console radio that I can plug in to my phone with one of those iphone dongle things, the other is a 1948 Rockola jukebox that plays 78 records.

So me talking about this kind of stuff, and the confusion you guys are having about my asks really shows how big the rock I'm crawling out from under is.

I'd love to go thrifting and find some old receiver and old 70s big brown boxes and do it that way, but the fact of the matter is, I just want something simple thats not a huge project and doesnt cost a lot of money, that looks cool and plays music from a computer.

as silly as this sounds, and I realize this, I have an animatronic replica of the tiki room parrot from disneyland. He is powered by a raspberry pi unit and interfaces with Reaper. The more I looked in to it, the more I realized that I have to have a dedicated computer to run this rooms av - originally I wanted different zones, inputs and bluetooth stuff, but I'm realizing that the only way I can get the room to behave how I want it to is if the room has a dedicated computer - so this is what turned me on to a unit like the china tube amp. firstly, it has 2 inputs, one for the computer, and another for maybe a turntable in the room, in addition to that, I see it can do bluetooth, so in my head, if I'm not using the computer that controls everything in the room, and I'm not listening to a turntable, I can pop it on to bluetooth and listen to my phone while I'm sitting alone in my palace of excess.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It depends on what you mean by "fill a room with sound."
The amp says it can apparently handle 35W @ 4ohm RMS but that only tells half the story. I'd like to know what the crossover is and see a speaker impedance graph before I make a recommendation. The sensitivity on those speakers is pretty terrible so they're going to suck a lot of power just to be audible. 85db @ 1W @ 1 meter. As a rule of thumb you lose about 6db for every meter of distance you put between yourself and the speaker so if you're across the room, then that 85db could be more like 67db at best and that's barely louder than a toilet flushing.
To achieve the 85db sound pressure level across the room, that amp would have to be cranked all the way up.

None of the calculations account for losses at certain frequencies though. That's a best case calculation on power alone. You start considering how much bottom end gets lost by the crossover and small driver size and you'll probably want a LOT more power just to be able to hear that sweet sweet bassline.

Will that setup make noise? Yes.
Will you be able to hear it over a crowd of people? Probably not very well.
Will you be able to hear it over a power drill? Definitely not.

Here's some links:
http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html
https://mehlau.net/audio/spl/
https://geoffthegreygeek.com/understanding-speaker-sensitivity/
https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/aperion-audio-blog/the-truth-about-speaker-impedance

and right about here is where I realize I'm in over my head.