Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WhatEvil posted:

I like this guy's vids for that same reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VjPHPQH0U

He cycles places. He cycled from Alaska to Mexico and further into Central and South America. He didn't do it in one go because he goes back to work in Canada planting trees each summer to make money which he then spends on his cycling trips. Nice chill dude.

Check out this awesome Scottish dude, who cycles around Europe/Central Asia with his adorable cat Nala, who he found as a starving kitten on one of his travels and nursed back to help

https://www.youtube.com/c/1bike1world

Also chalk me up as another one who really enjoys Geowizard. I especially enjoy watching him gently caress up on his "walk across x country in a straight line" videos. I particularly enjoyed him nearly dying alone in a bog in Norway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Biggus Dickus posted:

Months? I read weeks. Ah well, booster time it is, then.

At least 100 days to get approved, and then gently caress knows how long to get it distributed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Isomermaid posted:

If it's the guy I'm thinking of he also does an occasional series where he tries to cross a country in a completely straight line, completely disregarding any land borders in his way.

Anyway sorry, back to Israel Palestine

Yeah, pretty sure the same dude, and I once again highly recommend kicking back and watching his "mission across" series

This is my favourite. He nearly dies multiple times in this one, especially in the bog, it's brilliant
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_japiE6QKWoP-qPQ3wXuOtLkZeYumJRH

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I liked the Scottish one where he managed to near enough clamber over a working, guarded factory like Solid Snake through sheer luck then nearly got lifted and had to give up because some farmer lost his mind thinking they were going to give his old wife Covid by camping in the woods a kilometre from their house.

hahaha, yeah, that one was ridiculous. It's a shame, they were doing really well too.

My heart was in my mouth when they were going through the factory

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Terry. That's a name that was a lot more common in the 70s, when everything was brahn

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

TACD posted:

Heavy Disco Elysium vibes

I was about to say!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

At least one of those times was because he refused to poo poo every day and he had so much poop clogging him up that he had to get it pumped out of his nose.

w...why?!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

So sad, it's always the ones you least suspect eh

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Sorry, yeah, I can see that now. My post was written in anger at the news, not you, and my confusion came from my blocklist and uBlock rules omitting part of the discussion.

I'm still in shock over this. Imagine drawing up policies with the intention of killing as many people as possible? How the gently caress can someone wake up one day and decide to do this? I genuinely don't get it.

they're not people to the tories

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

crispix posted:

if you take a moment to think about it it's probably not a good idea to add the mental and physiological turmoil of sudden withdrawal to people who are locked up in a prison

Again, to tories they're not people

E ah, my point has already been made!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

TACD posted:

I imagine it’s a similar mindset to how I think of flat-earthers or young earth creationists; at this point I don’t really care about the best approach to bring you around, you’re too stupid for me to deal with and so I just won’t.

Anti-vaxxers and covid denialists too!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I think Chomsky is right about the state, it's bad lol

State bad, alternative worse at present, but state definitely tries to protect itself from having to do any of the things that might make it less bad unless forced. Same often goes for other structures like unions once they get large enough.

That's a cool quote and I'm gonna hang onto it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Grats to all the new babby makers ITT!!

They're so lovely when they're new. I got a new niece a couple of months ago and she's very sweet. Very chill baby, although she loves being cuddled, 'ates not being cuddled (simple as) and will fuss without a certain amount of fussing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

TACD posted:

Vaccine question: what’s the point of the little cards? My understanding is they don’t actually count as proof of vaccination for anywhere that matters, are they just like a receipt or in case a restaurant or somewhere wants to check vaccination status?

I guess just to remind you when you had the vaccination or something, easier than logging into your NHS profile or whatever

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Peppa Pig the TV Programme sucks though and has been superseded by Bluey in every respect

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

The most recent example of this kinda thing I can think of is indie game darling Johnathan Blow, to my mind an absolute genius in puzzle design and visual learning who has been tweeting about how he's solved the Covid puzzle and the chinese made it on purpose.

ahahahahaha seriously? loving hell

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

You have to watch the episodes too, since they teach the kids games to play with their parents. I have to freeze from a magic xylophones and chase magic statues for hours every day.

:unsmith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

^^^^^^^^^^^ my condolences :smith:

fuctifino posted:

We could actually be on a path to some comedy gold with this:

https://twitter.com/LondonEconomic/status/1467457508931420162

quelle surprise

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man, this country makes people deranged

the last few years especially so

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Convex posted:

It sounds like a confidence vote in 'nobody but us will be in power again', which is a fun outlook

It's a fair inference, that's certainly my assumption at this point

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I see Rod Liddle is trending for being a giant pissy babby because some students walked out instead of sitting and listening to the man who once said he shouldn't be allowed to be a teacher because he would molest the children, and has decided to bring that level of tact and decorum to the student sex work support debate.

https://twitter.com/joshuaseigal/status/1468166989684396036

This good

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

andyf posted:

Hello! Walk-in booster question. I'm not quite hitting the date mandate (6 month / 182 days since shot 2), about a half month out, so should I not waste anyone's time trying to see if the local walk-in clinic can do a booster for me, or are they a little relaxed on being strictly 6 months past a jab?

I've got some time off work so if it's not gonna be a problem, I'm happy to go out of my way a bit to get a booster and presumably suffer the side effects before the holidays properly start.

They're pretty relaxed, apparently, IIRC several goons ITT work at/have gone to walk-in clinics and they've been sticking needles in whoever.

It's good that you're being proactive about it!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah that's the point though, him and all his dead-eyed chums just loving yucking it up knowing that nothing will happen about the fact him and all his oval office mates got together while people were dying literally in their thousands, alone, their families at best allowed to watch them gasp their last over a video call, alone apart from a nurse on a 12 hour shift who might have found time to touch them on the hand or something just in case they could feel it, before going on to the next poor fucker.

You know that line about your hate being pure? I'm feeling it again now, in a way I haven't in a while. It's a joke to them, they know that nothing bad will ever, ever happen to them, that there are no consequences for them, that the rules only apply to the little people who were stupid enough not to have rich parents who could send them to the right schools. That braying you hear there? That's them laughing at *you*, and everyone you know and love, and everyone who has to follow the rules. I'm gonna stop now before I say something that brings the attention of the mods - or the police - because of course the rules apply to me. I can't even joke about what this makes me feel like doing, but they can airily dismiss the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

Couldn't agree more. I want blood

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hate

Let me tell you about Hate

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

lol, dick and dom for prez i say

this made me lmao at a point where I was feeling extremely fraught, so ta for that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tarnop posted:

The most depressing thing about all of this is that the best outcome we can hope for is a slightly increased chance of a Keith Labour government in 3 years

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Hope this omicron isn't serious, will be hard to get the public to comply with restrictions after a fortnight of being told that it's mild and everything is fine.

It's not looking good re: transmission and vaccine escape, at all

Basically this thing is going to be a tsunami, and we better hope by some miracle that the virus is much, much less severe than Delta

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yup.

Seriously, y'all, invest in KN95 (FFP2) masks, get boosted ASAP, and change your behaviour, because this is probably going to be a nightmare

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

According to this, so far no one has died of Omicron (that have been tested.)
Some health experts are saying to let it rip to supplant the much more deadly delta.

It is a natural cycle for viruses to mutate to become faster spreading but less lethal. Viruses want to survive, and killing your host is a bad strategy, you want to make everyone mildly sick and keep on trucking. I was reading something the other day that was pointing out the the 1918 Spanish flu virus is still around, but it's now just one of the thousands of common cold/flu viruses.

To the first - the "health experts" saying that are loving insane. A less lethal virus that spreads more quickly is going to kill far more people than a more lethal but less transmissible one. It would be social murder unless, by some miracle, omicron causes no fatalities whatsoever (and then there's the other, non-death outcomes to still worry about)

To the second - that's old and discredited science, there is no selection pressure on covid to become less lethal because it kills long after it's replicated and spread. It could happen by random chance, but there is no inevitable curve towards being less severe.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, this is the real loving deal

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

If you think I'm insufficiently optimistic then feel free to listen to noted joker madlad Failed Imagineer instead

But yes, fine, I'll stop posting, I just don't want people I like winding up on the back foot with this and getting caught out. I think calling to replace cloth or surgical masks with n95s is pretty reasonable

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ok, I'm out.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I just booked my booster

Aged 35 if that helps, no idea if it works for anyone younger than me

Git on it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

How did you do it? I tried this morning (age 33) and it still says I'm not allowed cos I'm under 40, not an NHS worker and not vulnerable. Also says I can't go to walk in centres. I'm really desperate to book it ASAP though.

NHS website

Try again now maybe

If it doesn't work I couldn't tell you why

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Cos I was pissing people off

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Johnson officially downgrading Omicron from a tsunami to a tidal wave, that's a relief

Well thank gently caress.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

:psyduck:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Is the US just, like, you can roll up and just ask them for a vaccine?

Is this what no centralized medical infrastructure does?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I would go early just so there's less chance of them running out, but be prepared to wait at any time