Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Has the 'straight people getting mad about not being allowed to use the f slur when singing fairytale of new york' discourse began yet? Doesn't really feel like Christmas until then.

The Grace Petrie version helpfully replaces that line with "we love Diane Abbott", which, again helpfully, likely gets those same people even madder

https://youtu.be/cBwqjwB6Skk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Kin posted:

So my other half has just gone into labour and we're gonna be in the hospital from 2 this afternoon going through everything.

Borrovan posted:

My daughter's only 10 weeks old, I'm getting all nostalgic remembering bringing her home now, congratulations mate :3:

:woop: congrats both!
7 weeks here and it's still very weird and exhausting but rewarding

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

is there a reason why the media are focusing on the shropshire by election with Tories vs Lib Dems angle, considering that last time labour came second with twice the votes of the dems

answers on a postcard i suppose

Gort posted:

Because the media want the tories or lib dems to win

While it's true that

keep punching joe posted:

our media class are all thick as pigshit libs
I don't think this is a media bias issue against Labour in the sense that you all seem to be implying. Labour appear to be briefing that they're not exactly trying very hard - I've seen the line (or something like it) repeated in several places that "rumours" or "suggestions" or "sources" say "[Labour] have deliberately not committed resources to winning the by-election under an agreement to give the Lib Dems a better chance of winning," which reads to me like Labour are downplaying expectations. Which is probably wise in strategy terms so that they story afterwards isn't about Labour not achieving what they wanted. The only time it wasn't a stonking Tory victory was 1997, and 2017 looks a lot like Labour did a great job of squeezing the non-Tory vote to virtually nothing while losing because a whole chunk of people were also galvanised against Labour (which is pretty much 2017election.txt as far as I can tell). Personally I'm not sure the Lib Dems are as an attractive a default alternative protest vote as they used to be, but by-elections are weird and if a big chunk of people stay home who knows what'll happen

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

was his dressing gown flapping, did they see stuff

He was cunningly displaying that he was at half mast and under maritime law this means he was legally in mourning, so cannot be prosecuted.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Just what were the restrictions in April this year? Because that video doesn't look all that damning to be honest. Isn't one of the big things about the various Johnson photos/scandals is that they were at the height of restrictions in spring 2020 and Xmas 2020?

Also, yes, that blurry creepy video of what could be mistaken for the world's saddest party doesn't exactly make you think starmer is having a grand old time while everyone else is shut in, which is another reason the Tory ones hit hard

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

So my partner had a positive lateral flow test yesterday and we cancelled our Xmas plans. We both went and got a PCR test and the results came back negative today, but she took another lateral flow test (from the same batch of 7 if that matters) today and it was positive. She has no symptoms at all.

Our Xmas day plan now is to go to a testing site and do another pcr in the morning and then stay home.

At least we got given a case of wine before Xmas so running out of booze is vanishingly unlikely

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i wonder what the queen will say

crispix posted:

i'm going to have a biiiiiiiiig christmas day wank :jackbud:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Sorry for the completely irrelevant question, but is there a good SA thread (or other place on the internet) for asking very basic and poorly explained DIY questions that'll get easy to follow answers? We've moved into a place that has a doorway chin up bar, and I can't figure out how to remove it, and googling "how to remove chin up bar" and similar is really not helping.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

post pics here, i like solving problems like this!! :holy:

The answer may well just be "pull it harder/whack it with a hammer, in which case

Skarsnik posted:

Step 1: get buff on chin up bar

:hmmyes:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

As you turn the middle bit the ends screw/push out, so turn it the other way

After you've got buff

The middle bit turns freely; there's no resistance when turning it in either direction so it doesn't seem like it's tightening/untightening. There's a small hole that runs through the middle, is there supposed to be a pin or something in here?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Looks like it might be one of those ones that just fixes on by pressure, can you twist those slightly smaller end sections to screw them into the wider part & make the whole thing shorter?

Very poorly explained, but imagine this is a pull up bar:

|--====--|

The "-" sections can screw into or out of the "=" section to make it longer or shorter & jam it into a doorframe (on some designs)

For real tho, get buff on the pull up bar

E:

Lmao I was struggling to think how to explain it, feeling very silly over here. I teach for a living, smdh

Pretty sure you're right about it being fixed by pressure rather than screws or anything. The end sections ("--" in your diagram) don't seem to screw/twist as far as I can tell, and the middle bit can slide all the way along from left to right, so doesn't seem like the end bits are screwed into the middle bit if that makes sense

Borrovan posted:

Try putting a small screwdriver in, twist it round to see if there's a hole on the inside somewhere so you can lock it into place & screw the ends in

Will try this- the hole is too small for a normal screwdriver - it's cracker screwdriver small - so might be there for a while until I remember to source something usable

Skarsnik posted:

Either that or the mechanism broke which is why it got left there..

The previous owner never cleaned the place out properly, leaving a bunch of broken stuff (including a broken washing machine, underpants, and all manner of crap in the shed including a jar full of manky yellowish liquid) so this tracks

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Success! Turns out the solution to chin up bars, as with landlords, Tories and monarchs is

crispix posted:

give it a good whack with a big hammer

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you seen the original West Side Story? How did it compare? It's one of the few musicals I find bearable.

My totally official and 100% objective list of musicals to watch for people who don't like musicals:

West Side Story (1961)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Cabaret (1972)
8 Women (2002)
London Road (2015)

Also probably New York New York (1977) even though I've not seen it cos come the gently caress on it's Scorsese doing a loving jazz musical between Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, how can it not be at least weirdly interesting?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

ronya posted:

I've no hot take solutions for national-zeitgeist groupthink in that sense, I suppose

This implies the existence of ronya's hot take solutions for national-zeitgeist groupthink in other senses, which I feel ukmt deserves the know

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jippa posted:

I think most SA users are lurkers in some form or another. This thread is an excellent resource for politics.

The post-less have nothing to lose but their spotless rap sheets. They have a petty internet argument to win. Lurkers of the world, unite!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Someone thought it was a good idea to add a book at the end of the Bible that was so open to interpretation that it may as well just read "hullo there I'm the Beast and that new thing that you don't like, that's mine it is".

I remember barcodes definitely being one of them.

FUN FACT: if you rearrange the letters of Lavern Spicer, you get CRAP SNIVELER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

loving hell, it's literally

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/881161169469403137?t=qMcilgNveGtzvLaR1sgusw&s=19