Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WELCOME, TO THE ADVENT OF DESTRUCTION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

therattle posted:

I have been wrestling with why Israel gets such a disproportionate focus. I know some of the explanations (it's an American imperialist proxy, it's colonialist and anti-colonialism is so hot right now etc), and human rights violations by other countries do get protested but not to the same degree. I am just not 100% convinced. There is no active and vigorous BDS campaign against China for what is cultural genocide against the Uighur* and Tibetans (and most other minorities); against Saudi Arabia (we know why); Turkey for its treatment of Kurds, etc. Now I know: i) my responses result from years of conditioning which are hard to shed; and ii) there are causes which become more popular than others for whatever reason, eg apartheid in the 80s, Tibet in the 90s - and right now the focus is on Israel. But I still can't escape the little voice at the back of my mind that part of the amount of focus from the left on Israel, and its sheer vociferousness, is in some cases anti-semitic.

To be honest I think it's mostly because Palestinians were displaced and many of them moved to western countries where they were able to have a more visible presence as a wronged party. Like I first learned about I/P because a close family friend was having trouble because when his kids were born they kept trying to put the father's place of birth as "Israel" on the birth certificate and he kept saying no, he was born in Palestine, and it was only after a very emotional argument that they correctly put his place of birth.

Which was also a dumb argument just because the Soviet Union dissolved doesn't mean you weren't born in the e.g. Latvian SSR.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are they anti-zionist donkeys or anti-semitic donkeys?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nm just learned the donkeys are catholic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I certainly think that if Jewish people have a safe state it certainly makes more sense to be near Jerusalem and not Stalin's galaxy brain idea to shove them on the Sino-Siberian border.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Although the term "Chinebrew" passed through my head and now I'm fascinated at the concept.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

The actual other alternative proposed by zionists was, I believe, Uganda.

*turns to audience* We regret to inform you the Ugandan discussions meme is anti-Semitic.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ugandan discussions is a meme based on Tory bonking a mistress and when caught leaving the place tried to claim they were merely discussing the situation in Uganda. From there on out "Ugandan discussions" meant loving on the job.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

Wasn’t Boris one of the first world leaders to get COVID? He could be the first to get it twice, really mark his place in the history books

Bolsonaro has had it 7834 times.

He's admitted to it 3 of those times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The covid was just a cover story for the times he needed hospitalisation from getting the poo poo kicked out of him by ostriches.

*throwing table over* those were RHEAS

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress, they've got us https://twitter.com/ai_curio_bot/status/1464705581776785418

lmao, all that hooting and hollering that the FASHIST LEFTI didn't win and bam

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's been pretty decent for me but it does recommend based on engagement so just giving Jones and Sarkar boilerplate positive replies will massively benefit your quality of life.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Alternatively follow me and reply to my tweets by calling me a oval office and it'll still boost the lefty recs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh at the time that Monbiot mentioned Lisa Nandy, we in this thread were also appreciating that when asked dumb bullshit questions by the media she just openly called them idiots asking stupid questions

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The MP my aunt voted for every time she could, everyone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aw poo poo Kayley the wolves ave only gone and gulped 'er Maj https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1468201266643931148

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol johnson will not resign over this he is too arrogant to let something like this make him bow out in failure

the only way you can make him stop being PM is to vote him out, and even then he might see if Britain can do a Jan 6 using the pasty racist thumbs that love him unconditionally

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest I would quite like to see our thumbs attempt a Jan 6th because they will just get kettled on the green outside and eventually start beating each other up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I see Johnson has announced another baby he's presumably going to tell a room of journalists he also doesn't love.

Also on the voting front I will vote Labour, although in my case it's easier because I have a pro-Corbyn MP who's a good lad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wasn't particularly bothered by the owen jones tweets comparing his earlier homework to her later paid works. She'd changed all the words around like I would do, what are the rules on this? Crappy little articles don't have bibliographies. She wrote it in 2008, when he was a nobody fresh out of uni so its a bit lol I guess now, although I suppose she wasn't much older.

Perhaps we should expect better of journalists than blatantly cribbing Wikipedia and undergrad theses to discuss modern events.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Butternubs posted:

I'd rather they copied Wikipedia word for word than write down the poo poo that's in their brains to be fair.

Oh absolutely, but that's assuming good faith reporting and not agenda-setting malicious bullshit.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sure, I just was kind of expecting it to be a copy paste job and then when it wasn't was a bit put out.

Flipping words around is classic "I copied someone else's work" and trips plagiarism-detecting software.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuckin bottled it keef https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1469072652828557313

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From the Graun:

quote:

“APHA has today confirmed that it was not possible to culture bacteria from tissue samples taken at postmortem examination, meaning that it will not be possible to carry out whole genome sequencing in order to try to understand how the alpaca caught the disease. This does not mean the animal was free of bTB infection because it had previously twice tested positive using highly specific, validated and reliable tests.”

This seems a bit weird to me. How could they not culture bacteria from the tissue samples? Were they drunk when taking the samples? Did they accidentally sample a nearby cow?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regardless, Starmer must resign.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Noxville posted:

I do like the part of the story that makes it sound like a political assassination

Little black bag over his head.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

TB is loving hard to culture, it's very slow growing. And it forms these little cyst-type things in your lungs where it lies dormant for years/decades, so trying to wake it back up again to culture isn't going to be very straightforward. And if your swab/sampling isn't very consistent, well, it takes 3 months to find out and whoops nobody's keeping a body around that long.

So doesn't that imply that if it's dormant then Geronimo could have just taken the cure regimen rather than getting merked?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But wasn't he a lone alpaca? I thought he was just like a pet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Convex posted:

Starmer would struggle with the trolley problem even if there was a third rail that didn't kill anybody

the third rail would make labour electable

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol you think that's bad? Starmer was asked "Do you think Johnson should resign?" and the first time around his answer of "He's unfit for office, and because he's unfit for office he won't resign" is a good soundbite,

but then the interviewer asks "but my question was do YOU think he should resign?" and Starmer then enters a loop about 5 times just saying "He's unfit for office, and because he's unfit for office he won't resign."

JUST SAY YES YOU STRANGE loving BELLEND. YOU GOT YOUR SOUNDBITE NOW JUST SAY YES

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

radmonger posted:

Isn’t that standard advice given to anyone (e.g football managers) dealing with a hostile press? They are not asking the same question you just answered as part of a normal human conversation. They are trying to get a quote of you saying some words that don’t contradict the headline they are going to run with. And they’ll keep asking until it becomes clear you won’t cooperate.

Corbyn need got caught by that several times; it’s a key part of the explanation for why a substantial part of the electorate came to believe obvious nonsense about him. He’d keep trying to explain his point to journalists as if they were human beings. And then one of those 5 explanations would lack a qualifier in the right spot, and bang there’s your headline.

Apparently, the ‘fix’ to that is to good friends with the journalists asking the questions, so you talk naturally. And then trust them work to pick the best, not the worst, version of what you say.

It's true that journalists are often trying to lead you into a mistake, but in this case unless Jaeluni's hypothetical is true, you can say anything negative about Johnson and the public will side with you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Convex posted:

A few years ago I would have said PM Clarkson would be the perfect representation of this, but even he seems to have recognised the country's a bit hosed. Strange times

Clarkson is performatively a dumb oval office. In reality he's merely a mediocre arsehole.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/nex3/status/1469944681223966721

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad my mum bothered me to sign up yesterday I managed to get a Friday appointment. Typical of Johnson to try and clamour some good will and end up making GBS threads up the NHS site.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lady Gaza posted:

My brother in law has basically been vaccinating 6 days a week for months and he’s really pissed off. I think the announcement came as a surprise to him and the surgery he works for. He’s said they’re already on their knees and are losing staff weekly so has no idea how they’ll meet the target.

What are they losing the staff to? Burnout?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Just because it's a piss take doesn't mean it's not a thing.
My friend sent me this just after I read that Wang Commander tweet. It's like there is a culture of people who are mainlining Covid vaccines.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1470161631430778886?t=QwKzDyTZh5oNNirKLpx95Q&s=08

*extremely crowded house voice* 🎶 ten vaccines in one daaaay 🎶

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Turns out it doesn't matter how prepared you are if your stupid-haired leader shoves his dick in the gears of the machine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1470506750193422339

Please do(n't) delete anything about the parties!

If they do delete it that's spoliation. Literally the worst thing you can do even if the evidence paints you in a bad light.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I do not believe the people who breached covid lockdown guidelines to have multiple parties also followed the rules of only using their in-house email for planning this stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

If he caught OG covid and that's his only protection he is going to be pretty at risk from Omicron.

CNN interviewed some dude who was unvaccinated and in hospital with covid. At first you were like "lol you dumbass" and then they reveal it's his second time in the hospital with covid. Dude literally got it the first time and went "vaccines? for pussies" then got owned again.

Not that I want to defend that oval office but it's a response to that Tory wanker Marcus? Fysh who said that he'd be voting against covid measures because we are NOT Nazi Germany and he won't allow us to move towards that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hope it's the Tory version of that struggle session where the Labour cunts tried to break Corbyn as a person, because Johnson doesn't have the emotional fortitude to withstand that.