Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh great I caught page 1 in time to post the new national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wo5t5YurM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Up to this moment I never believed any of this 'end times' stuff, but now...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
yes but the queen is getting on a bit

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

bessantj posted:

Re: Anti-Semitim and the left. I think it was Richard Littlejohn (or possibly Rod Liddle) in the mid 2000s that did a documentary about how Anti-Semitic Britain is and decided that it was because of the left. And Muslims.

How to make a right wing documentary in 3 easy steps

1. pick issue that's your fault
2. decide it's not your fault
3. AVOCADO TOAST AND FREE KFC FOR CRIMINALS DESTROYED THE COUNTRY

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The weather today was pretty horrible but the sea looked neat. The foam was becoming jellified and building up in drifts against the buildings near the harbour, weird stuff. Cool to see the harbour in action though.

Also had a nicer evening the other week working late.

Wow, without doxxing yourself which coast is that please?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Whitby! Same place a lot of my pictures are from, it changes a lot as the year goes by and we get different weather and lighting.

Thanks mate.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
am i doing it right

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
last one i promise

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
OK i wasn't going to post another one but

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Happy to have driven the thread off a cliff with my text2art link

it's impressive tbh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really want to take up woodworking or whittling or something as a hobby. Mainly because I don't have a big house but there are lots of trees around and some space by the shed to sit and cut wood, and I want to spend less time with technology. Not sure whether to look for a class, or just get a knife and look at YouTube videos or something. Anyone here tried the same, or have any experience with it please?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There are a couple of youtube channels I enjoy that focus on hand tool woodworking which might help you get a feel for it, and also some good starter projects if you have some space.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RexKrueger Rex has a number of "make your own tools/bench" videos which you might like and also he sells plans for his stuff on his website. Also good because he puts a lot of emphasis on not spending money if you can avoid it.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WoodWright James Wright does a lot of hand tool stuff too, helps you to see how it is done.

There's also https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulSellersWoodwork Paul Sellers for some good specific techique instructions.

Oh amazing, thanks! Will definitely take a look at these :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Noxville posted:

I will tag Matt Estlea on to this list, look up his YouTube channel. If you do want to do woodworking as opposed to just whittling or carving you’ll need space for a bench though

I'll take a look, thanks. I have space at the side for a bench yeah, we currently have a picnic bench that doesn't get much use so I'm wondering if it's easier to just adapt that somehow.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

The thing is voters don't care about that, they do care about Covid rules, a lot. Or at least like to in public.

If he loses those two by-elections I reckon the Tories will at least move against him. All this briefing is coming from his own side, they smell blood.

He's the fall guy for something sooner or later, they just haven't settled on what.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Voting rights need to be restored to prisoners. Everyone living in the country gets a vote, that's how it works, otherwise it's a sham.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

if you take a moment to think about it it's probably not a good idea to add the mental and physiological turmoil of sudden withdrawal to people who are locked up in a prison

I've highlighted the discrepancy between your thinking and the government's

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Remember when Michael Gove wanted to get rid of prison books as well. It's all about the cruelty. 'Rehabilitation' is the public justification and nothing more.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Kier Starmer: somehow worse than Ed Miliband

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also don't forget anyone who votes Tory has likely had zero interaction with anyone with a heroin addiction. So they almost certainly believe "Oh just pull yourself up by your bootstraps, a bit of willpower and stiff upper lip".

Of course, they'll have never given up anything stronger than cigarettes, but still, that makes them experts.

They were probably out of a job for a few weeks in the 80's and got themselves back on top without needing anyone elses help, thank you very much. Also student grants and cheap mortgages and actual careers and pensions all existed then but that's not help, they deserved it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kin posted:

Thanks (and also to the others who got in touch).

He was born this morning at 8am. There were some weird heart rate issues yesterday so we had to get a c-section this morning instead of inducing labor.

Managed to spend the whole day with him before getting kicked out of the hospital visiting hours which was awesome. Though he cried a hell of a lot less than i was expecting, barely anything at all, though getting him his initial feed was tricky. That's probably not gonna keep up is it (the lack of crying i mean)?

Currently crashing due to just getting 4 hours of sleep last night, but felt like it was worth it.

Congrats! Good luck and don't worry about forgetting something, it'll happen again and everyone does it

regards the crying, there's no reason he should be unless he's uncomfortable - he's probably happy :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm really glad I bought that Father Ted boxset second hand so glinner didn't get any money. Weirdly I don't find myself having trouble rewatching it given his radical terf meltdown seems so utterly divorced from the nature of his earlier shows, I guess because he made it before going completely insane.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's a decent park, expensive but I think family owned so understandable. What did Keir have to say about it then, did he not like the anticapitalist sentiment of pig people running the world

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
i think he just about tops the 'most pathetic person in parliament' list for 2021 which is quite the achievement

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

“I have been to Peppa Pig World, of course I have. It’s dreadful.” Sir Keir Rodney Starmer KCB QC

god i can hear it in his voice :shepicide:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So long as they start with removing the passports of all the tory ministers and MPs who ever took drugs first.

corrected this but agree

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Good luck Camrath, I'm afraid I'm going to pass as fudge appears to bypass my self-control circuits

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It sounds like a confidence vote in 'nobody but us will be in power again', which is a fun outlook

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Weren't there quite a few people on those lists from going to charity events or something, or is everybody suspect? I haven't been following the case so outside of the big names (Clinton, Spacey etc.) am unsure whether anything new came to light recently.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

What's the opposite of libel where you make up unrealistically charitable statements about others?

lebil?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I see Rod Liddle is trending for being a giant pissy babby because some students walked out instead of sitting and listening to the man who once said he shouldn't be allowed to be a teacher because he would molest the children, and has decided to bring that level of tact and decorum to the student sex work support debate.

https://twitter.com/joshuaseigal/status/1468166989684396036

I love how 'people don't like me because I did bad things' is now 'CANCEL CULTURE IS OUT OF CONTROL! NOBODY IS SAFE AND YOU'LL BE NEXT!'

I mean you just say you think there isn't enough islamophobia in modern politics and advocate having sex with children a few times and suddenly the woke elites won't sit and listen to you telling them what you think any more! :argh: U N B E L I E V A B L E :argh:

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 7, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Twitter made every idiot with a computer think they're in a 90's hacker movie and it's dumb as hell.

I think one potential solution would be to make a fake training version of the internet (like Hypnospace Outlaw but with a convincing Chrome type UI and fake websites and everything) which comes preinstalled on all smartphones and tablet devices, and only lets people onto the real internet once they can puzzle their way through the training level. This constitutes a site dump of modern Facebook and Twitter but with no way for the user to interact with the outside world, but with a few private messages explaining how to access the real internet for anyone that can actually process basic information. Anyone that doesn't realise it's all meaningless bullshit has to stay there forever like in Black Mirror.

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 7, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

"I think it was very wrong for the prime minister to offer cheese and pineapple on a stick, but do think individual bowls of cocktail sausages would have been appropriate in that situation"

"I've been to Downing Street Christmas parties, of course. We all have. They're dreadful."

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Hate

Let me tell you about Hate

i have no passport, and i must vote

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:eyepop:

edit: https://twitter.com/leealleninnit/status/1468386633225580551

:lol:

Convex fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 8, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

That’s not really true

Going on pure hope there’s a whole lot of things that could happen. Bojo or keith could keel over dead at any point. Some scandal in either party may stick and cause chaos. It’s true that systemically everything is really hosed, but inherent randomness is still a thing so just hope one thing or another gets Keith to gently caress off.

I actually miss when 'chaos with ed miliband' was one of the choices

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

your take a break readers on the other hand could very well be the bulwark of the revolution, they've been reading the tips section for decades and can make half a dozen kinds of party snack - with smiley faces on - with just some out of date condiments and the contents of the toaster's crumb tray

Also they're well accustomed to horrific and arbitrary life-changing events, which is a prerequisite for surviving conservative rule

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cookie Cutter posted:

The SW1 hive mind. The Islington set. The North London elites. its like a shite knockoff of gangs of new york

I'm imagining a punished, glass-eyed Jeffrey Archer carving his way through hordes of north london elites with a mechanised typewriter-chainsaw on a stick, hell bent on destroying his mortal enemy, the arch-wizard Ken Livingstone

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

He was literally shagging everyones wife, at once, in 10 downing street, at the christmas party, while everyone else watched? i don't know, it sounds a bit outlandish. Not sure I believe that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

True story, I learned recently that a bloke I know from work is working for Toby Young's free speech union

Same bloke also happens to be without question the biggest oval office I have ever met. Prolly just coincidence

I assume you haven't met Toby Young?