Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Biggus Dickus posted:

What's the latest on the booster and its effectiveness against Omicron? I'm considering delaying mine for a few weeks in case there's a new version.

Get the booster.

We're still in the middle of a worsening Delta surge, and it's going to take *months* for a new booster to be approved - delaying is just exchanging protection against that for an indeterminate period that will include the peak period for Delta for an unknown amount of protection against an unknown level of danger. Even if Omicron is worse than Delta *and* the existing vaccines offer no protection at all against it then it makes no sense to leave yourself vulnerable to Delta for that time.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZnnGP9sL4w

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Biggus Dickus posted:

Months? I read weeks. Ah well, booster time it is, then.

Even the most optimistic predictions are 100 days before it's in general production.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how is tuesday 28th before xmas?

It's almost a whole year before Christmas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

I think it was dara o'briain used to do a bit about how hosed it was on an evolutionary level that humans seem to have way more empathy for other species than their own

I'm *fairly* sure that cows, sheep, chicken and hundreds of other species we keep in confinement then kill and eat would want to debate him on this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The weird machinations of Sir John Cosmos strike again - we were discussing the Transporter Bridge in the last thread, and TFTM discussed this amazing story (in a derail about media representations of Tarzan which was itself a derail from a discussion of John Darwin, the bloke who faked his own death in a canoe accident, on this football podcast).

Anyway apparently Terry Scott once drove straight off the end of the bridge but was fortunately caught by netting put there for this exact reason, which led to this amazing picture of him reacting to said bridge in the local press:

https://twitter.com/Tees_Issues/status/1215217740065202176

Bookmarked for future use when reacting to, well, just about anything happening in these times.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

It does sometimes feel like for some Zionists the outcome of the Holocaust was to double down on the weird race science stuff but try to ensure that in future they'd be the ones doing the stomping, which all in all seems like the complete opposite of any lesson anyone should have been taking from the experience.

On the other hand it is also the exact lesson almost everyone takes from any kind of persecution.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Bolsonaro has had it 7834 times.

He's admitted to it 3 of those times.

The covid was just a cover story for the times he needed hospitalisation from getting the poo poo kicked out of him by ostriches.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

At least one of those times was because he refused to poo poo every day and he had so much poop clogging him up that he had to get it pumped out of his nose.

He stopped the ostriches kicking the poo poo out of him and within months he was hospitalised because he was so constipated it was compressing his diaphragm and causing him hiccups. It's a tale as old as time.

Tesseraction posted:

*throwing table over* those were RHEAS

Can't decide between a Road To Hell joke and a particularly stretched diarrhoea pun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You know you're truly internet-poisoned when the only thing you take away from a discussion about a man with an artillery shell up his arse is "Huh, I didn't know they had sabot rounds back then".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Oh sub-bore ammunition goes back a long way to get more penetration (:quagmire:) out of your ageing gun. There's a reason it's in French and that's because a French dude invented it in the 30s.

I suppose of all the WW2 munitions to chose to stick up your arse he went for one of the safer ones - imagine if he'd got his hands on a sticky bomb or one of those spring-loaded mortars.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

75mm white phosphorus shells were still in use by WW2. So yes, it could always be worse.

I'm fairly certain they had a self-igniting Molotov cocktail that was just a milk bottle full of petrol and phosphorus - presumably some clever bugger thought "Aha, because they don't have to light this before throwing it'll be safer and not give their positions away!" and never considered the possiblity of someone dropping a crate of them or something (or, indeed, someone taking their War Christmas celebrations that little bit too far 80 years later)

e: Aha, half-remembered Dad's Army episodes remain undefeated as a source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._76_special_incendiary_grenade

quote:

The perfected list of ingredients was white phosphorus, benzene, water and a two-inch strip of raw rubber; all in a half-pint bottle sealed with a crown stopper.

Ridiculous, I'm sure they realised just how stupidly dangerous this was...

quote:

Mainly issued to the Home Guard as an anti-tank weapon, it was produced in vast numbers; by August 1941 well over 6,000,000 had been manufactured.

:aaa:

quote:

The Home Guard hid caches of these grenades during the war for use in the event of an invasion. Not all locations were officially recorded and some caches were lost.

:kingsley:

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 4, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Congrats! Good luck and don't worry about forgetting something, it'll happen again and everyone does it

E.g. the time my mum managed to leave my then-newborn sister in her pram outside a shop and get all the way home before realising she'd done it - family legend has her only going back because the pram was a Silvercross and so quite valuable.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Whenever I notice a birthday around mid-November I think about how it's 9 months after valentines day :quagmire:

I know a family with 4 kids all with birthdays in August, and their dad's birthday is in November.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Up to a certain point in his career it seems like as long as he had a co-writer, he was able to keep the shittiness in check. Unfortunately once he got to the point that he was making Graham Linehan's the IT Crowd by Graham Linehan, there was nobody cowriting so all of his shittiest takes come out.

So many creatives go this way when their name recognition gets big enough that they can ignore the editors that were reining in their worst impulses. See jowling kowling rowling.

We call this The Gervais Effect.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In the mid nineties I was doing an A-level in psychology which had a whole module on sex & gender and how they are two different things. The textbook (Gross 3rd edition) cited cases from 1979 matter-of-factly talking about intersex, transgender and transsex cases, some of them going back as far as the early 1900s.

None of this is new, the GC dickheads have just managed to pretend that it is.

When Angela Morley (a composer, conductor and arranger who worked on everything from Hancock's Half Hour to Schindler's List) transitioned in the 70s it seems like everyone shrugged and said "Oh you're called Angela now? Okay, can you do the music for this please?". There were a few prurient tabloid stories about her actual surgery (done in Casablanca because at the time no actual qualified doctor in Europe or America would do it) but everyone from John Williams to her wife and kids seem to have been 100% supportive of her.

In fact really vicious transphobia definitely seems to be more of a Generation X thing than a boomer thing - not that boomers and older were perfect, but their opinion seems to have mostly been almost gossipy, and I'm sure that sort of behind-the-back whispering gets old really loving quick, but the people volunteering to sign up for the 1st Volunteer Genital Inspectors to guard the toilets and changing rooms of the nation are almost exclusively born in the 60s and 70s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Harold Wilson probably would if the technology existed at the time. It's up there with the National Giro and the civil expansion of the GPO radio relay and other things that helped modernize the country and bring technological advances to ordinary people.

Any time since "government can't do good things, only bad things, vote for us and we'll prove it" probably not.

When you know you've got a market for a few million of them you can bring that down quite heavily, the technological hurdles for smartcards have been crossed, and the big costs for things like UV lettering and holograms are in setting up the process. €5 would be reasonable for the card itself, and the costs of the backend should be covered by the time savings over a patchwork system.

The £5 note, which includes UV dyes, intaglio printing, three different types of holograms, and multiple other security measures we don't even know about, costs about 15p to manufacture. Now obviously that cost is particularly low because of the extremely low level of customisation but I'd be astonished if it would cost more than a quid to make a card with the same level of security as a non-RFID passport ID page, for example.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

A fun security feature in banknotes which is interesting to look up online but not to try yourself (because it's illegal) is to see what happens when you try to photocopy them.

It's not illegal to photocopy bank notes. It's not even *automatically* illegal to make fake notes, the offence is attempting to pass them off as real (or creating them with the intent to do so).

There's supposed to be a really easy way of bypassing the EURion constellation lockout on most decent-quality scanners but no two people who claim to know it and have done it seem to agree on the exact method they used - a lot of it is probably just theorycrafting based on the way the detection of it supposedly works. There does seem to be at least one additional feature being used that locks out scanning and copying though (in that the lockout occurs even if you carefully mask off the areas of the note containing the constellation) - the thinking is it's something to do with the curves used in the background of almost all modern notes.

Now if you want to get really deep into this, ask yourself why - despite being easily the most-counterfeited note in the world - the US $100 bill was the *last* US note to get technical anti-forgery measures like EURion and holograms, five years after they were introduced on lower-denomination notes and *decades* after the rest of the world started using them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Thanks, I was half-reading the article and half going on what I was told when someone in a bank I worked at showed what would happen as a demonstration of some of their security. It was a neat surprise!

No, the article says it's illegal (and I can certainly believe a bank security person would tell you it was too). It's a good-enough simplification for both a short read on a website and a quick chat, I just can't resist a "Well, actually...".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Taser's are pretty impressive though, aren't they? I thought he'd be down for longer though.

The moment the voltage stops the effect stops, and that's part of the problem because plod use them, like here, in completely inappropriate circumstances. The bloke was unarmed and not an active threat to anyone, even himself, but was being non-compliant, and police use them like magic wands that make people stop what they're doing and do what they're told.

Mind you there's another school of thought that using them like this results in less injuries than wrestling a non-compliant person to the ground and is so actually safer, but the problem with that is a) nobody's actually bothered to quantify that and b) it only reinforces the magic wand thinking and you end up with people getting taser darts in the eye or 10,000 volts across a heart defect they didn't know they had just because a copper couldn't be bothered de-escalating.

Guavanaut posted:

What's going on with that door?

One-piece window that's been kicked out of its frame but is still hanging on by the sealant at the top.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would find a wannabe hardman kicking in my crappy PVC window kinda threatening tbh

At the moment he was tased he wasn't doing that though, and was a good 5 metres away, hence "active" threat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Convex posted:

Weren't there quite a few people on those lists from going to charity events or something, or is everybody suspect? I haven't been following the case so outside of the big names (Clinton, Spacey etc.) am unsure whether anything new came to light recently.

Yeah, the black book is pretty much anyone who attended a society event in New York in the 90s and early 00s - while that alone *does* make you suspect of many things, it's not evidence of involvement in anything that Epstein (or Maxwell) were arrested over.

Now the flight logs, there's a very, very different matter. At the very least anyone who flew on that plane, especially to Little St. James, is deeply, deeply dodgy. Anyone who did it *twice* - because I'll give the benefit of the doubt to people like Matt Groening who went once, were deeply, deeply weirded out by it and never spoke to Epstein again - should be sweating like Prince Andrew doesn't as this trial goes on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

What's the opposite of libel where you make up unrealistically charitable statements about others?

Political journalism.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gonna start posting lebillous tweets that Andrew Neil romanced that Thai teenager (who was defiyan adult) using his masculine charm and sparkling wit

If you mean the one in that pic that Private Eye like to print to wind him up, she's African-American and definitely of age, but IIRC *is* very tangentially related to both Epstein and Marc Brunel (the photographer who was another feeder of girls to Epstein, not the bloke who designed the Thames Tunnel and sired Isambard).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

What do you think the tunnel was really for :tinfoil:

It was Victorian London, rich people didn't have to hide what they were up to, they'd get people to paint loving pictures of it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems like every other week there's a storm.
Did we always have this amount of storms or is it only since we started giving them names?

There's a windstorm roughly every two weeks over the North Atlantic and they normally at least brush the British Isles - they've been getting stronger (thanks to warmer sea temps) but not particularly more frequent. I think it's just naming them (and the fact that the Met Office are able to predict them and warn of them) makes them *seem* more frequent.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Yeah I went to my nearest walk-in place today as well. Nice lady at door explained that at the moment they're doing 6-months-later only, can't do shorter time. She did say something like "we have no doctor on duty therefore can't do it", not sure if I understood that correctly though. But, need to wait for an unknown amount of time before they're authorised to do 3-months-laters.

For obvious logistical reasons vaccines are normally effectively OTC drugs that can only be dispensed within very tight guidelines. A doctor can write you a prescription for the booster in the same way they could write you a prescription for more than 2 packs of paracetamol (a terrible comparison I know but I've been wrapping presents all day which is somehow more mentally draining than anything I've done in months).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Imagine being the sort of prick who has access to that video and just sitting on it for a year.

There are half a dozen journos in there who are all in on the joke and none of them thought to say anything until now, possibly because they were there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1468304337097142274

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thats from now.

Yeah that's the point though, him and all his dead-eyed chums just loving yucking it up knowing that nothing will happen about the fact him and all his oval office mates got together while people were dying literally in their thousands, alone, their families at best allowed to watch them gasp their last over a video call, alone apart from a nurse on a 12 hour shift who might have found time to touch them on the hand or something just in case they could feel it, before going on to the next poor fucker.

You know that line about your hate being pure? I'm feeling it again now, in a way I haven't in a while. It's a joke to them, they know that nothing bad will ever, ever happen to them, that there are no consequences for them, that the rules only apply to the little people who were stupid enough not to have rich parents who could send them to the right schools. That braying you hear there? That's them laughing at *you*, and everyone you know and love, and everyone who has to follow the rules. I'm gonna stop now before I say something that brings the attention of the mods - or the police - because of course the rules apply to me. I can't even joke about what this makes me feel like doing, but they can airily dismiss the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You know what's making me even angrier? The sum total of all of this will be Starmer botching an attempt at a joke, of course written by someone else to whom the rules don't apply, several journalists jizzing themselves inside out about it, and an extra point on the Tories lead, because nobody's allowed to have feelings, nobody can actually care about things, because that's not Grown Up Politics. They're all deader inside than the most completely online irony-poisoned basement dwellers, and all that matters is making sure nothing breaks that perfect frictionless world they've built themselves.

e: Because I'm *not* dead inside, have a cheerful snipe - my sister's and niece's dogs the last time I think I was actually properly happy, Christmas 2019, carefully cropped to preserve my nephew's anonymity and dignity:

ee: Corrected typo that suggested my sister was one of the dogs

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 7, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Let's make this Christmas number one.

Failing that maybe we could try to get it to the top of the charts or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

FWIW this is sheer delusion. Omicron will do everything that the wild-type variant did, but will likely almost completely evade antibody neutralisation unless you're ≥3x vaxxed with an mRNA or JnJ vaccine, or else some combination of vaxxed+prior infection. And even that will still probably not confer a huge amount of protection it seems

Evading neutralisation says nothing at all about how severe the disease it causes, though. Delta already evades neutralisation by both prior infection and vaccination, but doesn't cause any worse disease in those with some degree of prior immunity - the fact that our new cases have been running at over 40k/day since the summer but our deaths have stayed below 200/day (compared to way over a thousand a day at the height of the last wave, which was with the original variant and Alpha) is unfortunately grim proof of this.

(Obviously 200 deaths a day is still 200 too many and it's ridiculous how this seems to be a level of death that the collective brains of the establishment are fine with)

e: Also I assume you've been hanging around in the CSPAM covid thread both because of the doomerism and because you mentioned J&J, which I don't think ever got used in any great quantity here, and not AZ, which the majority of our most vulnerable had, and which is possibly the reason *why* we're not dying in much greater numbers. It doesn't give as good an initial response as the mRNA vaccines but it *does* seem to give longer-lasting protection against serious illness and death, especially with the 12-week dosing schedule we lucked into, to the point where by now - even pre-booster - I would have better protection against serious illness with my March first dose of AZ than the people who got Pfizer in June and July.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 8, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Calling another full lockdown in a country with >80% vaccination and pretty much every vulnerable person having been offered a booster would, imho, be loving nuts overkill and would probably do more harm than good.

Unless they have some insider info on Omicron that nobody else has, particularly with regards to serious illness in vaccinated people, there is literally no way they're going to do more than say "I dunno, work from home if you can?" and *maybe* reintroduce mask mandates on public transport, which everyone apart from BTP officers wanting an excuse to do a bit of light racism will ignore.

In fact even if they *did* have info that it's the very worst-case scenario and Omicron is as deadly to vaccinated people as to unvaccinated as well as being much more transmissable there's no way at all they'd cancel Christmas two years running. They'll rather set up massive funeral pyres like they did for Foot and Mouth on January 1st rather than take that hit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not the point, but it's deeply weird to see Her Majesty Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, eating her dinner off her knees. I mean I'm sure the plate costs more than my house and the cutlery is made from solid silver stolen off a Spanish galleon, but she just looks like your nan watching Corrie.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

Dunno if it's just a case of being jaded, but I'm really finding it hard to care about this. Hard to believe that anything consequential will come of it. At most it'll be used to oust Boris but then it'll still be some other ghoul doing much of the same.

Only interesting parts are: I can't quite decide what's being deployed to cover up what: the party leaks to diffuse the severity of upcoming restrictions and/or health service collapse, or the other way around.

That, and the tittle tattle of who else is going to be brought down with it. I assume that there'll have been more than a few journalists, and possibly people from other parties, hanging out with the Tories too. It'll be funny if it was full-on Spectator Summer Party vibes and that's why the whole political clash is being a bit sheepish about it all.

I get what you mean, this shower of poo poo did twenty more heinous things just that day, and it's actually annoying that with a 6-digit body count and the entire state crumbling around our ears that what is basically a gossip story being the first thing that's stuck to them.

Having said that, I think this is sticking because it does actually resonate. All of the poo poo they normally get up to comes with a tailwind of just-so stories (and a supine media that regurgitates them) that lets people pretend it's not their problem. Your average non-politics-following person doesn't see the poo poo the bodies piling up, if they do they might feel a little sad but talk about how the books have to be balanced or some poo poo. This one cuts through because lockdown - especially over Christmas - really loving hurt, but came with that story of shared burden and sacrifice, but this clashes so badly with tens of millions of solo Christmas dinners, Zoom New Year's Eve parties, and presents furtively handed over from a safe six feet away.

The sheer *banality* of it - cheese and wine and a pub quiz - is, weirdly, a multiplier here. If it had been a huge Bacchanalia with Boris slurping caviar off the tits of a minor royal he could have got away with it. People admire genuinely magnificent rule-breaking, but the fact they felt so completely isolated from the rules that they could get away with breaking them for something most people would probably make an excuse to leave early from is what's *really* hurting.

Of course it'll be completely forgotten apart from punchlines to hack jokes before 12th Night but it's something that should be instructive. People really don't like their evil banal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

4. Labour landslide: Very little changes immediately (see above), but the scale of the victory, maybe, just maybe, encourage a few bolder policies that actually benefit society.

On the other hand: 1997.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I will never understand why anyone drives through London unless their job relies on it

Well I tried driving through Glasgow to get home but that just made things worse.

(While I wouldn't want to do it regularly, driving through London is fine as long as you're zen about things - Birmingham is *way* more stressful to drive through IMO)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

wwururrurhhghgh bunufuht claymuhnts to recite the nushunahl unthum at our wahr mumoriuhls ruarwhghh

At first I thought this was just a bit more I genuinely worry that you might be like one of those automatic writing people but cursed to channel the thoughts of Kodos after he took over the body of Starmer.

Actually switching sci-fi rails but his physical deterioration since taking over as leader is alarmingly similar to the skinsuit shown alien from Men in Black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is possibly the niche online equivalent of that Onion "Marilyn Manson just going door to door to shock people" story, but the bloke that writes Scarfolk seems to be very specifically targeting his terrifying dystopian vision:

https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1468901818398879748