Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to December. Hope you all enjoy the Holidays. Mask up and Vaccinate for Omicron

Current Events:
- New COVID Variant: Omicron - COVID Thread for COVID stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979298
- Chris Cuomo suspended from CNN for helping his brother attack his accusers
- Inflation skyrocketing fastest since 1990
- School Shooting in Oxford, Michigan
- Dr. Oz running for Congress in Pennsylvania (despite living in New Jersey)
- Killers of Ahmaud Aubrey found guilty - Previous Prosecutor arrested for misconduct.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baronash posted:

No mention of the biggest crisis facing the nation this December.
https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1465704609997983766?s=20

Gee, I wonder why so many old men with beards might be missing...

e: EHF me and you are of the same mind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

a.lo posted:

there is only one Santa though

Those are Santa's helpers, and we've murdered them with COVID.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Professor Beetus posted:

Take it to the Covid thread. :colbert:

Yes, COVID discussion remains in the COVID thread.

UnknownMercenary posted:

This morning Twitter rolled out a new safety policy against posting images of people without their consent, and as expected it's being used by chuds to successfully mass report against anti-fascists.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1465860695287742469

Yeah this is basically exactly what everyone knew would happen with the new policy. Its loving awful.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

No post timer anymore?

My bad, I forgot to apply it. Its on now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

Sorry, you have a ways to go to meet the posting levels of VitalSigns, Leon & me. :colbert:

Aside to mods, since the feedback thread has been closed for a month: Have the changes you made helped on the modding end?

Probations have appeared to be less capricious, and more in line with other forums, and the dialogs itt more varied & interesting. I hope that means you're getting fewer reports & accusations of those amorphous sins of "posting in bad faith" & "trolling."

Off topic but Jeff and Admins are still reviewing. but no Reports continue to flood in, we just do not act as often unless its getting hateful/angry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Unless it's the_steve and your post is disagreeing with a succ zone poster then it gets probed right away as posting against posters or personal attacks, meanwhile his friends calling others
"
You ally with them on things there's a common ground on. You are literally loving illiterate.
"
is just "heated posting" according to him. So what's happening is many regulars have just stopped bothering to post which is probably the overall goal here as it reduces the "noise"

We'll start a thread to discuss the Feedback here in the new year, hopefully by then Jeff and the Admins will have wrapped up.

As it is, let's return to Current Events in the US.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

man, the party that wants big government off our backs sure is using the government to get further and further onto our backs...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The only correct Big Government is my Big Government.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fritz the Horse posted:

For what it's worth, back during the Feedback thread there were some posters commenting about how USPol/USNews/US Current Events threads were actually just chat threads. If you're not aware, you can click on the Re: column values and see the top 30 posters for a thread. Here's the Nov US Current Events: https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3983623 and here's the previous iteration which ran much longer: https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3965530

I tossed those in Excel and interestingly both threads are about 40% posts by the top 30 posters. This is not unusual for D&D, actually. Most threads in D&D have 40-60% or more of all posts by the top 30 posters. Is that a good thing to have threads dominated by a couple dozen posters? Does that make this a "chat" thread? Well, it's not any more of a chat thread than the previous iteration or other D&D threads.

A couple dozen users make up the lion's share of posts in all D&D threads. What changes is who is :justpost:
Previous top 10: Leon Trotsky 2012, zoux, Willa Rogers, CommieGIR, Dapper_Swindler, Flopsy, VitalSigns, FlamingLiberal, How are u, evilweasel
November top 10: VitalSigns, Leon Trotsky 2012, Willa Rogers, How are u, Gumball Gumption, TheIncredulousHulk, Lib and let die, CommieGIR, Mellow Seas, Jaxyon
(I've bolded the names of posters who dropped off the "Top 30" list in previous thread and those who are now on it and weren't before so you can see some of the change)

examples:
zoux, Dapper_Swindler, Flopsy, and evilweasel have basically disappeared from the thread (there are others too but I'm not gonna sift through all of it).
Gumball Gumption, TheIncredulousHulk, Lib and let die, Mellow Seas are much more prolific than previously
Leon Trotsky 2012, Willa Rogers, CommieGIR, VitalSigns, FlamingLiberal are examples of posters that were prolific in both.

tl;dr - all D&D threads have the lion's share of their volume dominated by a small number of posters, that's typical. What changes is who is posting a ton. Is that a good thing? No idea.

This is a really good post, gonna grab this and share it in the Mod discussion forum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Update on the School Shooting

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1466015507224702976?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cow Bell posted:

It'd be a real shame if people used the current events thread to discuss the current failure of the political system to address any of the current issues. Instead, such discussions should be silo'd off to their own thread that will be conveniently closed.

:rolleyes: Current Events is for current events. Also: gently caress off with the "You just want to shut down conversation by having us have a dedicated thread for it since its such an active discussion!". Nobody is closing threads to secretly suppress discussion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

No, the dipshit with the waluigi avatar does enough tedious aggroposting to shut that conversation down in-thread.

And this is me calling someone else a tedious aggroposter. Game recognize game.

Again: There's plenty of meat on the discussion of the political failure of the Democratic Party to be its own thread, the idea that it needs to be actively debate in Current Events seems just lazy rather than necessary.

And no, he was specifically saying that we silo off conversations to suppress them, and that's straight out of tinfoil conspiracy town.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

I don't think it's out of line to look at historical failures of a party when trying to analyze why a party might be currently failing to address urgent events. I don't think "current events as an island in the river of time" is really a worthwhile medium (but I'm not a media lit professor!) to try and make sense of our current political nightmare. What's the "threshold" on what kind of stuff can be brought into the current events discussion to contribute to a discussion of why democrats are failing to deliver, are failing to build party loyalty, and seem fractured and dissident internally, if not examining the historical causes that brought them here?

I don't know. It just doesn't seem helpful to handle it that way. I don't know that I'd say you're trying to silo off conversations to die, but it does feel a bit like being told to go "do your homework in another thread" then come back to discuss only the current failures of x system here.

The depth of those current failures is going to be well outside the realm of Current Events, that's all I'm saying. I feel like that would be an active discussion all on its own without people having to dive through it in the CE thread to find out what's actually going on.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What the gently caress is happening to Mike Pompeo?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1466233424302149633

Guy is wasting away in front of our eyes.

Unless Mike suddenly found that top notch diet/exercise regimen, that's gotta be health related.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Smeef posted:

He chose... poorly.

Mike Pomep is eating "The Stuff"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stuff

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

At the risk of delving into a topic on which I've been forbidden to address in D&D (it has its own silo'd homework thread from which I'm threadbanned, and media analysis definitely doesn't constitute a "Current Event") you have to try and wrap your head around the idea that Americans are, by and large, just...TV People. We (and let me point out - I use "we" here because I do not see myself as 'above' such influences) need stories and narratives, lofty ideals, heroes, villains, and anti-heroes struggling with and against each other. Can you imagine any better way to build a narrative of "these far left ideals just don't work in America!" than putting full-bore institutional support behind a visibly flawed candidate, watching them blow up and self destruct their own movement publicly, and then saying "Well we told you these policies weren't popular enough to win, and that these guys are just rabble rousers, but we gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried to work with them and they turned out to be ineffective and rude. Can we get back to electing Pragmatic Democrats now?"

I didn't forbid you to do anything. Post to your hearts content, I was saying that its a fairly broad discussion to be had.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cow Bell posted:

The voting thread was literally created because people (Like LT2012 currently is) were annoyed the conversation kept cropping up in previous iterations of this thread. The voting thread has been locked for months. In fact the last time you probed me and said we had a whole thread for this kind of conversation, the thread was locked then as well. I agree though; it can't be much of a silo if you can't even post in it.

As there is nowhere to discuss the topic, it seems perfectly adequate to keep having the conversation in the Current Events thread, whenever Current Events may cause someone to question the validity of the system we live under.

We are reviewing why it was closed. But the idea that its a conspiracy to shutdown conversation is really dumb.

E: We're fairly certain it was closed by the OP, we reopened it, and they closed it again. I will make a new one.

New Us voting/politics thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986700

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 2, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

I'm coming dangerously close to shitposting in a serious thread but i thought that was funny enough to be worth the risk and now I can't get it out of my own head, god dammit

Permission to poo poo post occasionally granted. Seriously not really hitting that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah re: CRT, at this point they'll just pull something out of their rear end to defend it even if you call them on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cranappleberry posted:

Don't assume my or anyone else's race, please.

CRT is not taught in primary schools.

It's taught in sociology, psychology and law classes. It's good but since the term has been misappropriated and other messaging failed, lean into the blunt truth.

You know what is taught in primary schools? You know what's being targeted? The already poor explanation that is given for bigotry. Also reading materials.

Sometimes it's glossed over entirely. In some cases the material is outright lies. That's going to become more normalized amd gone are the conservative judges that believe in law and facts and are willing to step in like in the case of Intelligent Design.

"CRT" for Republicans includes any history books covering The Civil War, Civil Rights Movement, Jim Crow, KKK, etc.

So no, not just law, sociology, and psych.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Anno posted:

My wife, who teaches 6-8th graders, once joked that if a parent asked her what she was doing re: teaching CRT that her response would basically be to ignore what CRT really means and appeal to their likely sense of American exceptionalism. Explain that teaching children hurtful lessons about the past so that they may learn from them is how America remains the land of opportunity and freedom for everyone. Some nonsense like that. I laughed at the time but I don’t honestly think it’s the dumbest idea.

....its the dumbest idea because the response would be "Well why teach them those things if we're already the best! FREEDUM AINT FREE"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It sounds like the kid needed serious mental help and his chud parents chose instead it treat him like a wimp. They are more than culpable for their child's actions.

Meanwhile, Tom Cotton is again being a gigantic hypocrite:
https://twitter.com/TrumpsTaxes/status/1466566152470028300?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 3, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Guys, we all know how gun chat is going to go, please try to minimize it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

Why is it the parents responsibility to get their kid into therapy (I doubt they could even find a therapist if they wanted to). The state needs to have ultimate authority over minors, not leave it to randoms.

Jesus Christ Vasukhani, do you ever read back what you post?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I still don't know what the logic - even gun fetishist/CHUD logic - is behind sending your kid to school with ammo, buying him a gun, and texting him "lol, I'm not mad you did it. Just learn to not get caught!" after the school calls you could be.

She didn't want him to get caught or show it off, so it wasn't some kind of guns rights flex to stick it to the man.

But, she also didn't want him to shoot up the school.

But, his dad also bought him two handguns under his own name and gave them to him.

But, his mom also seemed to know that he was about to go on a shooting spree when she texted him to wait and not do it.

What is the logic to giving your teen kid who has said he wants to shoot up the school ammo, but telling him to keep it secret and just enjoy the fact that he is the only one who knows he has ammo in school?

Mental Health is generally viewed with disdain in a lot of conservative households, between calling the kids "Babies/Wusses" and belittling them as "Needing to man up", its entirely unsurprising if its true that they are Chud/MAGA types that they would choose to ignore their kids mental health and instead just assume they need to push more toxic masculinity on a 15 year old including exposing them to unsecured firearms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Allie_Elisabeth/status/1466888434086207492?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah they are running. Almost willing to bet there's going to be a standoff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

If they were willing to fire him, I can only suspect the "new info come to light" is pretty loving bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Okay gents, the gigantic slapfight about Dem's and Voting NEEDS to shift to the Us Politics thread, this is at this point so far off topic of actual Current Events, political or not, and there hasn't been an inch one way or the other towards closure. If you want to continue it, do so there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986700

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

It's actually not. The Budapest Memo didn't establish an alliance or anything particularly formal, just a pledge to "seek immediate United Nations Security Council Action" if Ukraine were ever attacked.

True, but at this point I feel like something needs to be done about Putin's particular brand of aggression, while he's doing it more to stir up support at home, its become a serious issue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

All right, but what, exactly? We're currently supplying lethal aid to Ukraine (a continuation of Trump's policy, which was a shift from Obama's policy of non-lethal aid only). Sending in troops to conduct exercises might help in the short-term, but may also make the Russians more determined to put the screws to the government in Kiev once we've left. Personally, I don't see how us getting more involved isn't going to just make the situation worse.

Given that Putin is actively stacking Armored Divisions around the Border, there really isn't any way to make it better. Putin's largely neutered EU resolve with Gas dependency, already annexed Crimea, is 1/10th the way into Ukraine already. The idea that its going to get better at Putin's expense is unlikely. But the idea of letting Ukraine fall will likely make everything worse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

selec posted:

JFC no. You learned nothing from history. The US cannot reliably prosecute wars of any kind. Just get all the way out of here with this. No war thanks, period.

"Yeah, let's just let Russian prosecute wars, problem solved"

What a loving hot take. The idea that Russia should be allowed, unopposed, to continue to annex territory for no other reason for Putin to feel happy about having a buffer zone is pretty dumb.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 6, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terminal autist posted:

I sort of buy into the rogue oblast theory that was floated by Moscow.

So you literally bought the excuse a kleptocracy is using to justifying annexing countries. Just...no.

readingatwork posted:

A military response *might* make sense if it was coming collectively from an international community that had the Ukranian people's best interests at heart but that's simply not the reality we exist in. This is the US engaging in a morally dubious proxy war unilaterally in order to weaken a political rival and maintain it's own global base of power and civilian wellbeing won't be factored into the equation in the slightest. A hypothetical war to "defend" Ukraine will likely end up turning the country into a meat grinder as civil war breaks out and 2 of the largest superpowers exchange blows on their soil. It would be an absolutely apocalyptic event for anybody living there just like every other time something like this has happened. Not to mention the fact that once we win (assuming we win cleanly and don't end up creating Vietnam III) we'd probably install the most right-wing psychopath we can find who will usher in a new dark age of religious tyranny, austerity and legalized theft by the state.

Oh! And none of that takes into account the possibility that this ratchets up tensions with Russia to the point where a larger conflict breaks out starting a huge war with a non-zero change of making it's way to US soil (because Russia is a real country with major allies and a big boy military with the ability to fight back if needed). Considering that most of the countries involved have nukes I'm not exactly itching to see this happen (thought to be honest I worry more about he US nuking Russia/Ukraine than the other way around. We have a history of wanting to proactively nuke people really badly).

So yeah, just let Russia have Ukrane for now. It sucks but it beats the alternatives.

(Seriously, why the gently caress are so many liberals still so willing to get behind this poo poo post-Iraq!?)

E: By the way poo poo like this is why I don't vote for Democrats anymore. I'm just so loving tired of having to explain this poo poo to otherwise good people because they saw the Democrats agitating for war and assume it must be the right choice if the "good team" is advocating for it.

The problem with this entire view is that Russia is the one largely ratcheting up tensions, and has been for nearly a decade. Part of why Putin was so enthusiastic about Trump's Administration was their willingness to not only turn a blind eye to them but actively make excuses for the Putin Regime's actions.

The idea that we should allow Ukraine to fall to avoid tensions that already exist with Russia is concerning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

readingatwork posted:

Could you please take your Ukraine warmongering to the other thread? I can’t debate it here without being yelled at by the mods.

Its a current even for now, I don't see the issue. Asking other mods.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

We were asked to move it to the EE thread last night

Which is good reading but I'm afraid to post in it because I am too stupid

Okay well I'll go with GJB's recommendation now unless news comes about Us involvement in Ukraine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, not to spit on their attempt, but the SCOTUS basically said "Lol, States Rights" to this previously.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Could we stop the three stooges act and stop slapfighting about each other and slapfight about Current Events instead, thanks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Oh ok so TV can't make the Boomer generation (b 1946) definitionally different then

I don't think that's true at all, TV adoption rates were pretty quick during a prime time for the boomer generation:

https://ourworldindata.org/technology-adoption

By the 1960s Television adoption rates in household was skyrocketing, which most Boomers would've been either kids or teens (since the boomer generation includes up to 1964). Black and White TV stats are not as well tracked but were pretty common in households by the late 50s. And that's assuming that's the only time they could be influenced. By the time Boomers hit adulthood, TV availability and pricing made it super affordable to have a color TV, during a prime time of their adulthood years that could shape their beliefs.

The Sean posted:

edit: wait, lol, are you not understanding that someone born in 1946 would be an infant and infants don't meaningfully watch TV? Yet in 1960 90% of households had a TV when said infants (you keep referring to 1946?) would grow older and watch TV? And that when they were born most households did not have TV?

This. The idea that television had no influence in a generation that actively grew up during the prime of its adoption is laughable.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 7, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

I am

You said growing up with TV is what makes the Boomer generation objectively different from what came before

But obviously this cannot be true because people born in 1945 grew up with TVs so are they Boomers too then? If not because they were one year older when they got TVs then what about anyone born in 1946 whose family waited a year longer to get a TV are they not Boomers?

What is a Boomer, is it what you said about being part of a large generation that had to get more schools etc built for them (therefore only people born during the postwar baby boom) or is it someone who grew up with TV or what.

It's a vague shifting post hoc definition that morphs depending on what you want to talk about. Which is basically the point gotten across by the MSPaints: under serious interrogation it collapses into "things change over time"

Yeah but at this point you are changing the definition of things that influence change and handwaving away one of the most influential technological changes of the 20th century. Between Radio and Television, and eventually the Internet, the ability to spread ideas and change people's mind vastly changed.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 7, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

Do you all think growing up with video games influenced millennials?

This isn't rhetorical; it's something I see boomers & xers say about younger generations, and something that was a BFD under Clinton/Gore (and Tipper Gore's pet cause) & with the convo about TV influencing boomers I was wondering how the impacted generations felt about the influence of gaming on theirs.

I think it has, although I'll admit I'm not certain WHAT influence it has had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

This argument is like saying older Millenials weren't influenced by the internet or smart phones because it wasn't widely available when we were born, and is beyond missing the point and willfully ignoring facts.

Obviously if the TV becomes a technology during your formative years it's going to influence your development, and not if it was invented when you were born, come on

And its worth noting: Your early adulthood years through your early twenties are formative years for mindset and ideas.

VitalSigns posted:

No I'm not. I'm saying generational marketing pseudoscience terms don't describe this phenomenon.

The claim is that TV what makes the Boomer generation objectively different than the previous one (but why not the later one, did Gen X not have TV?)

But what's the definition of a Boomer, is it defined by something TV related like the birth year that had 51% or 70% or whatever % of it's babies get a household TV by age X? No, it's defined according to infrastructure needs and/or marketing opportunities that occurred because a bunch of GIs all came home and boned their wives around the same time.

It's just this vague shifting definition that has already moved all the way to "OH ARE YOU SAYING TV AND INTERNET ARE MEANINGLESS"

But it does make them objectively different. Hell, the major changes in ANY generation makes that generation objectively different, but especially ones that focus on the spread of news, ideas, and propaganda.

VitalSigns posted:

But what's the definition of a Boomer, is it defined by something TV related like the birth year that had 51% or 70% or whatever % of it's babies get a household TV by age X? No, it's defined according to infrastructure needs and/or marketing opportunities that occurred because a bunch of GIs all came home and boned their wives around the same time.

Yes, that's what boomer means. But no, that has nothing to do with how that generation was influenced in their thinking by having easy access to information and entertainment that their parents didn't have. By that logic: The Fox News era of our parents generation didn't happen either.

Remember, you are talking about a Generation that goes not just in one year (1945) but up until 1964. That's 14 years. That's the Boomer generation.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 7, 2021