Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So Kakao Games, a decently good publisher who curated BDO in the west before Pearl Abyss got the resources together to self-publish, has bought ArcheAge from the Great Satan Gamigo, and is giving it one last try at publishing the game with all P2W elements removed in order to appeal to non-Koreans.

All the gory details can be found on this page, but I'll try to summarize with some context:

Instead of P2W for its business model, there's now a cheap monthly subscription (:10bux:) and a cosmetics-only cash shop. All the P2W crap that used to be in the shop is still purchasable, but only via currency earned exclusively ingame.

Unchained under Gamigo also had a battlepass system for a more abstracted form of P2W. That's still in, except now you buy the "Premium" side with tokens you get as daily login rewards (costs 500, 20 tokens per daily log in, first month free).

Most importantly, there are new fresh start servers alongside the old ones, with a new land grab period. I'm sure fishing pacts, broken fishing pacts, and pedophilic statutory rape will follow soon after, as is tradition.

If you already bought ArcheAge Unchained (or the DLC they released), which was supposed to be B2P, you will instead be granted free subscription time proportional to what you paid for AAU and any DLC. If you have any premium shop gems or credits or whatever, those are transferred 1:1 too. All your characters and progress are also transferred, but remain on the new old servers.

FAQ Section

Why should I play ArcheAge Unchained, but this time presented by Kakao Games?

Because you can't log into Endwalker. Oh, and everyone gets 30 days subscription free. So it's F2P for the first month for everybody. You can probably log into Endwalker by then.

What is the point of this game?

To fly around on a glider and chop down or uproot other peoples' illegally planted trees while roleplaying as a DEA agent. You must remain in character at all times and call these "illegal grows."

There's also PvP and PvE and fetch quests and housing on limited land and all kinds of drama and grief.

What's cool about this game?
  • You get to combine three skill trees chosen from all skill trees in the game to create a "class" of your very own. Of course there are meta options that are better than others so this isn't really super relevant but it still makes for some fun and unconventional classes, and as long as you put something together that has even the vaguest synergy it's probably meta or close to it.

• There's a crime system and if you kill a person that's been naughty they go to game jail for RL hours.

• It used to be that the main way to make a ton of money was crafting these "trade packs" and then delivering them to distant lands, except you're slow and vulnerable when carrying them which made you a ripe and valuable target for killing either by the enemy team or outlaws on your own. This system is less of a thing now, but still a thing.

• You could harpoon a boat to an airship and it would drag the boat around the continent. Piracy on dry land!

• There's ship-to-ship combat with cannons and junk. And diving for treasure in shipwrecks, or trade packs that were lost overboard during PvP on the open seas where the law ceases to apply. It's way more valuable to sell your packs on the enemy continent, and the only way there is via sailing. Or swimming for a few hours straight, I guess?

• Today leveling to cap is generally painless and quick.

• Flying around on a glider and chopping down or uprooting other peoples' illegally planted trees while roleplaying as a DEA agent.

What about regular ArcheAge?

Regular ArcheAge is still around too, and will be getting its own fresh start servers as well.

That said, regular ArcheAge is the traditional Korean F2P with a super aggressive P2W cash shop. It's still there as an option for the sickos who like that, but Unchained better suits a Western audience. This post is exclusively about Unchained.

When can I play this, assuming I'm stupid enough to do so?

The "launch" is December 2nd 3rd, 2021. A wide open date for a dead niche MMORPG’s fresh start. You can download the client now from Kakao.

The land grab (when land unlocks for building) is on Saturday, 12/11/2021, specifically at 11:00 AM UTC for EU servers and 1:00 PM PST for NA servers.

Guild?
I'll be playing on the Kyrios sever, which is the fresh start server for NA in ArcheAge Unchained. If one comes together I'll update here.

I've emotionally prepared myself to be on the EASTERN continent for the first time to perform flying anime illegal cherry blossom and other stereotypes patrol. I don't know what the RP name is. It's the one with catgirls.

boho fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh god what a mess. I got to level 75 back when the game was just known as ArcheAge. It could be really good, but this isn't a good compromise either. A monthly sub required for a game like this isn't going to work. Especially not with multiple much larger MMORPGs coming out with expansions in December.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

boho posted:

So Kakao Games, a decently good publisher who curated BDO in the west before Pearl Abyss got the resources together to self-publish, has bought ArcheAge from the Great Satan Gamigo, and is giving it one last try at publishing the game with all P2W elements removed in order to appeal to non-Koreans.

All the gory details can be found on this page, but I'll try to summarize with some context:

Instead of P2W for its business model, there's now a cheap monthly subscription (:10bux:) and a cosmetics-only cash shop. All the P2W crap that used to be in the shop is still purchasable, but only via currency earned exclusively ingame.

Unchained under Gamigo also had a battlepass system for a more abstracted form of P2W. That's still in, except now you buy the "Premium" side with tokens you get as daily login rewards (costs 500, 20 tokens per daily log in, first month free).

Most importantly, there are new fresh start servers alongside the old ones, with a new land grab period. I'm sure fishing pacts, broken fishing pacts, and pedophilic statutory rape will follow soon after, as is tradition.

If you already bought ArcheAge Unchained (or the DLC they released), which was supposed to be B2P, you will instead be granted free subscription time proportional to what you paid for AAU and any DLC. If you have any premium shop gems or credits or whatever, those are transferred 1:1 too. All your characters and progress are also transferred, but remain on the new old servers.

FAQ Section

Why should I play ArcheAge Unchained, but this time presented by Kakao Games?

Because you can't log into Endwalker. Oh, and everyone gets 30 days subscription free. So it's F2P for the first month for everybody. You can probably log into Endwalker by then.

What is the point of this game?

To fly around on a glider and chop down or uproot other peoples' illegally planted trees while roleplaying as a DEA agent. You must remain in character at all times and call these "illegal grows."

There's also PvP and PvE and fetch quests and housing on limited land and all kinds of drama and grief.

What's cool about this game?
  • You get to combine three skill trees chosen from all skill trees in the game to create a "class" of your very own. Of course there are meta options that are better than others so this isn't really super relevant but it still makes for some fun and unconventional classes, and as long as you put something together that has even the vaguest synergy it's probably meta or close to it.

• There's a crime system and if you kill a person that's been naughty they go to game jail for RL hours.

• It used to be that the main way to make a ton of money was crafting these "trade packs" and then delivering them to distant lands, except you're slow and vulnerable when carrying them which made you a ripe and valuable target for killing either by the enemy team or outlaws on your own. This system is less of a thing now, but still a thing.

• You could harpoon a boat to an airship and it would drag the boat around the continent. Piracy on dry land!

• There's ship-to-ship combat with cannons and junk. And diving for treasure in shipwrecks, or trade packs that were lost overboard during PvP on the open seas where the law ceases to apply. It's way more valuable to sell your packs on the enemy continent, and the only way there is via sailing. Or swimming for a few hours straight, I guess?

• Today leveling to cap is generally painless and quick.

• Flying around on a glider and chopping down or uprooting other peoples' illegally planted trees while roleplaying as a DEA agent.

What about regular ArcheAge?

Regular ArcheAge is still around too, and will be getting its own fresh start servers as well.

That said, regular ArcheAge is the traditional Korean F2P with a super aggressive P2W cash shop. It's still there as an option for the sickos who like that, but Unchained better suits a Western audience. This post is exclusively about Unchained.

When can I play this, assuming I'm stupid enough to do so?

The "launch" is 12/2/2021. You can download the client now from Kakao.

The land grab (when land unlocks for building) is on Saturday, 12/11/2021, specifically at 11:00 AM UTC for EU servers and 1:00 PM PST for NA servers.

Guild?
I'll be playing on the Kyrios sever, which is the fresh start server for NA in ArcheAge Unchained. If one comes together I'll update here.

Sooooo your gonna need to grind like hell to get the p2w stuff?

Sounds fun..... :ughh:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

I said come in! posted:

Ooh god what a mess. I got to level 75 back when the game was just known as ArcheAge. It could be really good, but this isn't a good compromise either. A monthly sub required for a game like this isn't going to work. Especially not with multiple much larger MMORPGs coming out with expansions in December.

ArcheAge is in a weird limbo where I can’t tell if it’s a bad good game or a good bad game, but it’s not a good game and it’s not a bad game. I’ve always really enjoyed the launch months though, and I like its new pimp.

FreeWifi!! posted:

Sooooo your gonna need to grind like hell to get the p2w stuff?

Sounds fun..... :ughh:

Yeah, I’m not sure if it’s a currency that can drop continuously or if it’s a currency from limited dailies or something.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Archeage has the components of a game that'd be right up my alley but loving sucked due to some of the implementation and community.

My guild fell apart due to getting targetted by a guild of dipshits who had clientside cheats. Didn't matter if we had video of them being attacked 30-1 with their health never dropping below 10% or so, GMs did nothing, or at least didn't bother until long after I left.

Nearly everyone I knew who played the game was in a top heavy guild where everyone had to spend time to run packs for the rich assholes in the guild for "future plans", which almost universally meant said assholes loving off with the stars long before any promised items were bought.

Land was a bitch to get due to bots. Client side hackers also just planted poo poo in inaccessible locations so nobody could steal them.

Awful P2W/RMT culture. A whale in my guild made some bullshit weapon and pawned it for like 600 bucks. Apparently this only got worse since I left.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:lol: i'm considering playing this again for the 4th(?) time since it's original launch in 2014

i should probably just buy endwalker and play through that

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
In a shocking and unprecedented turn of events, Archeage's publisher has made changes based on player feedback. In this post Kakao goes into changes, which are basically time gates on gear unlocks (so everyone has 30 days to get to Tier 3 gear before Tier 4 is available, etc) to prevent catasses from snowballing out of control in terms of gear without giving regular players a chance to reach parity. A very good change.

Additionally, to combat multi-boxing (the advantage of which is basically "more money"), players can't trade til they're Ancestral level 10. Basically, regular levels come fast and give you all your class abilities. Ancestral levels come after all that and are similar in tempo to original leveling, which was along the lines of WOTLK-era WoW. The takehome point is if you want to make alt accounts so you can exploit multiple houses and sources of labor, you can do so, but you won't be able to actually transfer any of that wealth before you've put a few dozen hours in.

However, players can use the Auction House at regular level 30, so it is still possible to transfer stuff via the AH if you're willing to eat the tax cost or run the risk of getting sniped.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
A backend issue has pushed launch back a day. I’m certain there are a ton of Final Fantasy 14 fans that are truly torn as to whether to play Endwalker or a niche PvP MMORPG from 2013 tomorrow!

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Who will be handling the wool?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
keep me updated on how this is going

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

eonwe posted:

keep me updated on how this is going

Delay

Delay

Delay

Greetings Inheritors,

Continuing with our plan to ensure that the service launches as smoothly as possible we encountered a different issue which means we are unfortunately going to delay by a further 3 hours.

The new launch time will be:

December 3, 2021

EST 1 PM

We discovered an issue where the previous credit balance was not correctly applied in some cases.

We are in the process of reapplying credits to those that were affected but we need a bit more time to complete the work. We want to reassure you that no data on your credit balance has been lost and they will be accurately reflected once we go live.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience, we know many of you are keen to get started as soon as possible and we’re eager to join you.

~ ArcheAge Team

"Keen"

:downs:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I am excited for Endwalker: Unchained Archeage: A Realm Reborn tree cherry blossom patrol. In honor of a different game releasing today I'll be playing on the anime EASTERN continent for the first time. Come be a cat girl with grown men. Except not in Final Fantasy.

boho fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 3, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
does the publisher not own a calendar with other studios release dates

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, this new launch time would actually be tempting if I knew literally anyone else interested in this game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, and we must be talking about archeage.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

vandalism posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, and we must be talking about archeage.

Third time's a charm....

Edit: I thought I bought this game...

Newbie area is packed. Gonna hit this later tonight when the 1300 other players have moved on.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 3, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Archeage is the domestic abuser "who really loves you" of mmorpgs, the returning players are the battered spouse.

When an intervention won't work and all you can do is walk away.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Hi battered spouse here: actually no pay to win in the store so i'm huffing that copium.

Also gently caress kakao for listening to the community i could have been free

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If you bought Unchained (and did the transfer on Kakao's website, which was down last night due to 10,000 nerds trying to do it at the same time) your extra free subscription time is in your account inventory on their website for your use. Remember everyone gets 30 days free, so there's need to consume it right away.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

boho posted:

If you bought Unchained (and did the transfer on Kakao's website, which was down last night due to 10,000 nerds trying to do it at the same time) your extra free subscription time is in your account inventory on their website for your use. Remember everyone gets 30 days free, so there's need to consume it right away.

Thanks for this. I found it and have 2 months plus the free month everyone gets.

:toot:

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 5, 2021

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have downloaded this game because otherwise I would be playing New World. This has got to be better than that, right?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

I have downloaded this game because otherwise I would be playing New World. This has got to be better than that, right?

you can swim in this game, and your wardrobe doesn't consist of knee high socks and feathers all over your helm.

So yes.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 5, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Sorta.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Remember unchained launched with no P2W either. :v:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

DancingShade posted:

Remember unchained launched with no P2W either. :v:

Not entirely true - IIRC ArchePass Premium was buy-in almost out of the gate though it was down for a while.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

For anyone thinking about returning -

quote:

1. Improved the Plant Uproot skill.

* Cast Time 5 sec -> 1.5 sec
* Labor consumed 10 -> 3
* You no longer leave behind footprints.

This is the best version of ArcheAge.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Phoix posted:

For anyone thinking about returning -

This is the best version of ArcheAge.

It's wonderful.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Keep looking back at Archeage every so often because it's one of the few games where the beast-people are actually pretty bestial. They even sprinted on all fours and had unique shoe designs! They're like Charr, but with KMMO aesthetics.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Wow, didn't notice that they think this is now worth a required monthly sub. Just lol at paying monthly for loving Archeage.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Schubalts posted:

Wow, didn't notice that they think this is now worth a required monthly sub. Just lol at paying monthly for loving Archeage.

According to Kakao "sub fee with absolutely no P2W elements" soundly beat every other business model for a western audience in their research. They got the impression people weren't willing to pay $15 though (since it's definitely not FF14/WoW quality), so Kakao dropped it to $10.

I've got 90 days free so I'm having great fun uprooting trees and three-shotting people as a Darkrunner even though I suck at PvP.

boho fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 6, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'll miss the good old times.

And my montage of hate:

Never received a single in-game punishment either if you're wondering.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Those names look vaguely familiar, I think we played on the same server.

You were doing god's work lmao

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Do we have to do anything for the free month? Kinda bored and feel like actually trying this out.

Edit: I figured it out!

Elblanco fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 7, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Is there something I'm missing here?

Whenever i log in my UI resets itself.
Having to go through options again and resetting my UI get's annoying.

Is there a secret button or "/" command?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
It seems after doing the linking/transfer thing I have 90 days of time on AA:UC via Kakao so I guess ill give this another shot to. Ive also been playing Elyon and have been quite enjoying that to.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

FreeWifi!! posted:

Is there something I'm missing here?

Whenever i log in my UI resets itself.
Having to go through options again and resetting my UI get's annoying.

Is there a secret button or "/" command?

It’s a bug. There should be a patch on Thursday eventually.

e: apparently the settings not saving bug was downgraded from their #1 priority because of the number of people who had botched account or character transfers and now just can't play at all.

boho fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 8, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

boho posted:

It’s a bug. There should be a patch on Thursday eventually.

e: apparently the settings not saving bug was downgraded from their #1 priority because of the number of people who had botched account or character transfers and now just can't play at all.

Sounds legit.

I'm assuming they also know about the eastern area lagfest.
Around the same time every day (7pm ish) the lag gets so bad i can't even take a quest or loot without a 2-3 minute delay in some cases.
Right now im not even going to bother jumping in cause it's so bad.

It's unplayable.
But it seem's to taper off around 1-2 am.

Also: Is anyone getting a goon guild together or are we waiting to see what this turns into?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

FreeWifi!! posted:

Sounds legit.

I'm assuming they also know about the eastern area lagfest.
Around the same time every day (7pm ish) the lag gets so bad i can't even take a quest or loot without a 2-3 minute delay in some cases.
Right now im not even going to bother jumping in cause it's so bad.

It's unplayable.
But it seem's to taper off around 1-2 am.

Also: Is anyone getting a goon guild together or are we waiting to see what this turns into?

I’m pretty sure that lag is the daily rush since dailies reset at 00:00UTC. Huge 80-man raids form to steamroll all of the daily quests not tied to an event in under an hour. The server struggles to handle multiple 80 person raids spawning hordes of monsters for the various dailies all at the same time.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

If you'd told me I'd be on top of the hill eight years later defending a Feedz tree farm I would have laughed at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Never received a single in-game punishment either if you're wondering.

we'll see you out in the real world. count on it