Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

boho posted:

So Kakao Games, a decently good publisher who curated BDO in the west before Pearl Abyss got the resources together to self-publish, has bought ArcheAge from the Great Satan Gamigo, and is giving it one last try at publishing the game with all P2W elements removed in order to appeal to non-Koreans.

All the gory details can be found on this page, but I'll try to summarize with some context:

Instead of P2W for its business model, there's now a cheap monthly subscription (:10bux:) and a cosmetics-only cash shop. All the P2W crap that used to be in the shop is still purchasable, but only via currency earned exclusively ingame.

Unchained under Gamigo also had a battlepass system for a more abstracted form of P2W. That's still in, except now you buy the "Premium" side with tokens you get as daily login rewards (costs 500, 20 tokens per daily log in, first month free).

Most importantly, there are new fresh start servers alongside the old ones, with a new land grab period. I'm sure fishing pacts, broken fishing pacts, and pedophilic statutory rape will follow soon after, as is tradition.

If you already bought ArcheAge Unchained (or the DLC they released), which was supposed to be B2P, you will instead be granted free subscription time proportional to what you paid for AAU and any DLC. If you have any premium shop gems or credits or whatever, those are transferred 1:1 too. All your characters and progress are also transferred, but remain on the new old servers.

FAQ Section

Why should I play ArcheAge Unchained, but this time presented by Kakao Games?

Because you can't log into Endwalker. Oh, and everyone gets 30 days subscription free. So it's F2P for the first month for everybody. You can probably log into Endwalker by then.

What is the point of this game?

To fly around on a glider and chop down or uproot other peoples' illegally planted trees while roleplaying as a DEA agent. You must remain in character at all times and call these "illegal grows."

There's also PvP and PvE and fetch quests and housing on limited land and all kinds of drama and grief.

What's cool about this game?
  • You get to combine three skill trees chosen from all skill trees in the game to create a "class" of your very own. Of course there are meta options that are better than others so this isn't really super relevant but it still makes for some fun and unconventional classes, and as long as you put something together that has even the vaguest synergy it's probably meta or close to it.

• There's a crime system and if you kill a person that's been naughty they go to game jail for RL hours.

• It used to be that the main way to make a ton of money was crafting these "trade packs" and then delivering them to distant lands, except you're slow and vulnerable when carrying them which made you a ripe and valuable target for killing either by the enemy team or outlaws on your own. This system is less of a thing now, but still a thing.

• You could harpoon a boat to an airship and it would drag the boat around the continent. Piracy on dry land!

• There's ship-to-ship combat with cannons and junk. And diving for treasure in shipwrecks, or trade packs that were lost overboard during PvP on the open seas where the law ceases to apply. It's way more valuable to sell your packs on the enemy continent, and the only way there is via sailing. Or swimming for a few hours straight, I guess?

• Today leveling to cap is generally painless and quick.

• Flying around on a glider and chopping down or uprooting other peoples' illegally planted trees while roleplaying as a DEA agent.

What about regular ArcheAge?

Regular ArcheAge is still around too, and will be getting its own fresh start servers as well.

That said, regular ArcheAge is the traditional Korean F2P with a super aggressive P2W cash shop. It's still there as an option for the sickos who like that, but Unchained better suits a Western audience. This post is exclusively about Unchained.

When can I play this, assuming I'm stupid enough to do so?

The "launch" is 12/2/2021. You can download the client now from Kakao.

The land grab (when land unlocks for building) is on Saturday, 12/11/2021, specifically at 11:00 AM UTC for EU servers and 1:00 PM PST for NA servers.

Guild?
I'll be playing on the Kyrios sever, which is the fresh start server for NA in ArcheAge Unchained. If one comes together I'll update here.

Sooooo your gonna need to grind like hell to get the p2w stuff?

Sounds fun..... :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

eonwe posted:

keep me updated on how this is going

Delay

Delay

Delay

Greetings Inheritors,

Continuing with our plan to ensure that the service launches as smoothly as possible we encountered a different issue which means we are unfortunately going to delay by a further 3 hours.

The new launch time will be:

December 3, 2021

EST 1 PM

We discovered an issue where the previous credit balance was not correctly applied in some cases.

We are in the process of reapplying credits to those that were affected but we need a bit more time to complete the work. We want to reassure you that no data on your credit balance has been lost and they will be accurately reflected once we go live.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience, we know many of you are keen to get started as soon as possible and we’re eager to join you.

~ ArcheAge Team

"Keen"

:downs:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

vandalism posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, and we must be talking about archeage.

Third time's a charm....

Edit: I thought I bought this game...

Newbie area is packed. Gonna hit this later tonight when the 1300 other players have moved on.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 3, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

boho posted:

If you bought Unchained (and did the transfer on Kakao's website, which was down last night due to 10,000 nerds trying to do it at the same time) your extra free subscription time is in your account inventory on their website for your use. Remember everyone gets 30 days free, so there's need to consume it right away.

Thanks for this. I found it and have 2 months plus the free month everyone gets.

:toot:

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 5, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

I have downloaded this game because otherwise I would be playing New World. This has got to be better than that, right?

you can swim in this game, and your wardrobe doesn't consist of knee high socks and feathers all over your helm.

So yes.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 5, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Sorta.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Is there something I'm missing here?

Whenever i log in my UI resets itself.
Having to go through options again and resetting my UI get's annoying.

Is there a secret button or "/" command?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

boho posted:

It’s a bug. There should be a patch on Thursday eventually.

e: apparently the settings not saving bug was downgraded from their #1 priority because of the number of people who had botched account or character transfers and now just can't play at all.

Sounds legit.

I'm assuming they also know about the eastern area lagfest.
Around the same time every day (7pm ish) the lag gets so bad i can't even take a quest or loot without a 2-3 minute delay in some cases.
Right now im not even going to bother jumping in cause it's so bad.

It's unplayable.
But it seem's to taper off around 1-2 am.

Also: Is anyone getting a goon guild together or are we waiting to see what this turns into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Givin posted:

Any good fishing stories yet? Tales of broken pacts and deceit?

You can fish in this game?