Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Manchin would vote against anyone worth putting up. I don't even need special future seeing glasses to know Breyer won't leave before the midterms and when he dies on the court, republicans will have the senate again.

Yup. This is one of the reasons I expect at least a 7-2 majority for the rest of our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The right always sells it as going after *those* people, but ends up punishing poor people in general regardless of color. But yeah I can definitely see further expansion of the prison 'work program' industry, especially if wage hike pressures continue.

If there's a shred of a silver lining it's that a total elimination of Roe might finally be enough of a fire to force Breyer out while there's still a chance to replace him :rubby: :smithicide:

I see it being sold another way. That the poor are "failing at America," the "land of opportunity." Buzzwords that Boomers eat right up because the last time they were even remotely true was when they were coming up in the world.

The homeless will be the "trial program." There's a reason most choose to stay *out* of shelters, but people (liberal and conservative) who don't care enough to learn why that is just assume they'd be better off "somewhere safe," you know, away from them and their compromised property values. And hey, if we can give them "jobs," in the loosest measure of the term, all the better, right?!?! Expect to have it sold as "bringing back American manufacturing" by people who will say that having a pool of forced labor "incentivized workers" will reduce our dependence on China. It's not like the precedent doesn't already exist for illegal/undocumented workers, it'll just take a bit more finagling because even a homeless person is still a citizen, more often than not.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The story of the leadup to the MI shooting that's coming out is increasingly bizarre. There'd been chatter about a threat from the student for weeks; the school repeatedly denied it; the shooter's father bought the gun used in the shooting just days prior; the school had a meeting with the kid and his parents three hours before the shooting while he had the gun in his bag.

The 15-year-old going to be charged as an adult, which seems asinine when his dad, at least, might as well have pulled the trigger. The county prosecutor is at least considering charging the parents, but it's an open question whether any charges would even stick.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I get really uncomfortable prosecuting less than 18 year olds as adults. Throwing away a 15 year old for life seems… hosed.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I get really uncomfortable prosecuting less than 18 year olds as adults. Throwing away a 15 year old for life seems… hosed.

A brave child... giving up the rest of his life so that his Worthless Boomer Parents don't have to suffer any consequences for their actions. A true American hero.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A 15 year old cannot fully process actions to consequences. As horrible as the crime is putting him to trial as an adult is wrong. I hate even saying that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cugel the Clever posted:

The story of the leadup to the MI shooting that's coming out is increasingly bizarre. There'd been chatter about a threat from the student for weeks; the school repeatedly denied it; the shooter's father bought the gun used in the shooting just days prior; the school had a meeting with the kid and his parents three hours before the shooting while he had the gun in his bag.

The 15-year-old going to be charged as an adult, which seems asinine when his dad, at least, might as well have pulled the trigger. The county prosecutor is at least considering charging the parents, but it's an open question whether any charges would even stick.

Charge the parents with capital murder. Send the kid to therapy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

A 15 year old cannot fully process actions to consequences. As horrible as the crime is putting him to trial as an adult is wrong. I hate even saying that.

I'm willing to wait to hear all of the details as they come out, but I don't think there's such a thing as a "babe in the woods" anymore with regards to school shootings. He was a child until he started shooting. I'm all for keeping him in protective custody (not Juvie) until he turns 18, during which time he should *clearly* get counseling and help, but I can't give the kid a pass in this case.

And I believe the father should catch charges for being recklessly negligent in keeping tabs on his firearm, as well as be open to whatever charges are applicable for said weapon being used in a MASCAL event.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 2, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If the defense lawyers don't bankrupt the parents, the civil suits will, so at the very least they get to enjoy dying penniless.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Parents should catch blame for sure. They knew something was up. This story has so many odd angles its like a game of telephone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lol if that kid knew enough to try to pretend to be authority to kill more people he knew exactly what he was doing and should locked up and forgotten about.
also the dad. what a piece of poo poo.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

lol if that kid knew enough to try to pretend to be authority to kill more people he knew exactly what he was doing and should locked up and forgotten about.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

literally this big posted:

A brave child... giving up the rest of his life so that his Worthless Boomer Parents don't have to suffer any consequences for their actions. A true American hero.

I hate to break it but a 15 year old kid is likely not old enough to have boomers for parents

Also I know I'm an idiot but I literally just missed the entire November thread because there wasn't a link at the end of October. Help me next time this is the best only news source I have!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
There’s a spectrum.

It’s one thing if a fifteen‐year‐old drives car fast and kills somebody. Their brain is still developing and they may not entirely grasp the relationship between risky activities and consequences.

Intentionally shooting people is something else entirely. If they haven’t figured out that that’s bad by the age of fifteen, they never will.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Platystemon posted:

There’s a spectrum.

It’s one thing if a fifteen‐year‐old drives car fast and kills somebody. Their brain is still developing and they may not entirely grasp the relationship between risky activities and consequences.

Intentionally shooting people is something else entirely. If they haven’t figured out that that’s bad by the age of fifteen, they never will.
Ehh, that's an argument for keeping them away from society at large, for sure, but I always hate that "charging as an adult" seems more about punishment than anything. Unless everyone just got profoundly unlucky and he has a defective brain, someone is responsible for raising him to be capable of this.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I see it being sold another way. That the poor are "failing at America," the "land of opportunity." Buzzwords that Boomers eat right up because the last time they were even remotely true was when they were coming up in the world.

The homeless will be the "trial program." There's a reason most choose to stay *out* of shelters, but people (liberal and conservative) who don't care enough to learn why that is just assume they'd be better off "somewhere safe," you know, away from them and their compromised property values. And hey, if we can give them "jobs," in the loosest measure of the term, all the better, right?!?! Expect to have it sold as "bringing back American manufacturing" by people who will say that having a pool of forced labor "incentivized workers" will reduce our dependence on China. It's not like the precedent doesn't already exist for illegal/undocumented workers, it'll just take a bit more finagling because even a homeless person is still a citizen, more often than not.

The trial program is already underway. There’s tons of programs like Amazon’s Mechanical Turk jobs that are already performed by captive workforces. Either captive in the sense that there are no other options or literally captive in the cases of prisons and, disgustingly, refugee camps

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Also I know I'm an idiot but I literally just missed the entire November thread because there wasn't a link at the end of October. Help me next time this is the best only news source I have!
i'm stealing this quote for my automatic bookmark updating feature request thread tia

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Collective Punishment, including Kin Punishment is generally frowned upon. It seems to me that parents can be guilty of abuses that lead to a child's terrible action, and they can be accomplice to their child's terrible action. There are also charges like contributing to the delinquency of a minor in some states, but that's separate from trying a parent for their child's crime.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Crab Dad posted:

Was it actually verified that the shooter was trying to impersonate cops to get people to open the door? I thought that was actually the sheriffs and the kids in the classroom panicked because they used the word “bro.”

I also recognize that teenagers have poor impulse control and a lack of appreciation for consequences, but making the decision to steal a gun and several magazines and carry it to school with the intent to use it while knowing that you’re under scrutiny already sounds like the opposite of impulsive. The kid intentionally killed four people, this isn’t something that can be rehabilitated or redeemed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

There’s a spectrum.

It's not about not knowing right from wrong. It's about impulse control, decision making, and the ability to actually realize consequences (which is not the same as being able to state them). A 15 year old is not an adult and does not think like an adult or make rational decisions like an adult.

I'm not willing to write an actual literal child off as a hopeless case and "garbage."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Without knowing more about the kid's personal situation and mental state, it's hard to say anything definitive. Maybe he was traumatized and abused! Maybe he's just a sociopathic rear end in a top hat! At this stage, with the information that we have, it's impossible to say for sure. (though sociopathic rear end in a top hat probably seems more likely from what little I've read)

What can probably be said for sure though is holy poo poo what were his parents doing? They bought the gun on Friday? What the absolute gently caress was going on in that household??

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Was it actually verified that the shooter was trying to impersonate cops to get people to open the door? I thought that was actually the sheriffs and the kids in the classroom panicked because they used the word “bro.”

Cops said (with appropriate caveats) that it actually was a cop and not the shooter:

https://twitter.com/Dave_Boucher1/status/1466140337794166786?t=SPRRWOUOzAFh632KI2j-Bw&s=19

The school apparently had local security (1-2 people around) and a school resource officer, so highly likely there was a lot of confusion when the kid apparently left the bathroom blasting away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I had read that there was a police officer in the school / assigned to the school.

Did they help apprehend the shooter? Just curious if it was like the Parkland, FL school shooting or not where the officer declined to participate.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

I had read that there was a police officer in the school / assigned to the school.

Did they help apprehend the shooter? Just curious if it was like the Parkland, FL school shooting or not where the officer declined to participate.

Still extremely early, but per the Detroit Free Press and a LEO, the resource officer and a responding deputy arrested him, it was apparently like two minutes in total and the shooter didn't use all of his ammo.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/11/30/oxford-high-shooting-police-school-liaison-officer/8813723002/

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Well, ignoring how common and freakish it is to have both cops and shooters in high schools on the regular good for that guy for intervening so fast.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There was that article that the “respectable” conservative Claremont Institute put out arguing that most American citizens shouldn’t be considered citizens legally or ethically, and in the mind of someone like that “citizen” means “person.”

Here we go:

https://americanmind.org/salvo/why-the-claremont-institute-is-not-conservative-and-you-shouldnt-be-either/

A uniquely American fascism

SMEGMA_MAIL fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 2, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A child should not be charged as an adult. Period. They are a child, and there is a reason we created a dual tree system. Either they are a child until arbitrary age, or they aren't; you don't get to have it both ways. It doesn't matter how mature or clever they are, they are kids, and should not be charged as adults.

Charging children as adults is akin to throwing them in the garbage; you've assured that their lives are over with no rehab.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
I agree. It should be treated as a matter like insanity defense if they’re really dangerous like this kid until they’re not but it’s baffling to me how you can be “charged as an adult” when you’re literally not.

Like those kids parents were freaks right? There’s a chance years away with time to mature he could be normalish but that’s not likely to happen in prison.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Well, ignoring how common and freakish it is to have both cops and shooters in high schools on the regular good for that guy for intervening so fast.

Anecdotally, our district had a referendum for an educational tax increase, pitched it as For the Children, then turned around and hired a couple of dozen cops to patrol the schools with the proceeds. Very cool to normalize that poo poo.

Also agreeing with those saying the kid shouldn't be tried as an adult. The whole thing is absolutely terrible, but throwing the kid away is shameful. The dad though, I want to know what the hell happened there. Gonna keep locking up my guns and not hand my kid a pistol when he's a teenager and say "go nuts!" :wtc:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Our Justice System is trash, and yeah he shouldn't be tried as an adult. Fifteen is too young to really understand consequence, and being an angry hormone riddled teen who may have school or even family issues (given his dad doing this), he needs help more than to face an already cruel and harsh justice system.

His dad, however, needs to face the light.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

If you can afford a gun and ammunition, you can afford to buy what you need to lock it up properly. The dad needs to answer for this poo poo.

It's not that hard--Lock up your loving guns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Itchy_Grundle posted:

If you can afford a gun and ammunition, you can afford to buy what you need to lock it up properly. The dad needs to answer for this poo poo.

It's not that hard--Lock up your loving guns.

There is a group of gun owners who will accuse you of extreme classism over this take.

I fall under saying lock up your guns, but no one expects you to have a $10,000 vault safe. At least make a kid deliberately break open a locked metal cabinet to access a gun.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Isn't a halfway decent locking gun case like a couple hundred?

Those little ones you use for securing them while you travel.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RFC2324 posted:

Stack On cabinets are lockable and quite cheap ($60-250 depending on size) and require at least a prybar, drill or grinder to get into. They are "easy" to break into but you'd have to put in actual effort for a few moments. Hell even a trigger lock (usually supplied with the gun) is not much better than security theater but at least makes it such that someone has to physically break things to get use of the firearm.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

mlmp08 posted:

There is a group of gun owners who will accuse you of extreme classism over this take.

I fall under saying lock up your guns, but no one expects you to have a $10,000 vault safe. At least make a kid deliberately break open a locked metal cabinet to access a gun.
I'm kinda-sorta one of those because I don't at all trust that enforcement of training and safe storage will be fair, but fuckit, ESPECIALLY if you've already had some meetings with the school about your kid, it's so thoroughly on you to make sure they don't have access to your guns.

Edit: Also, I've got a cheap $150 stack-on cabinet that I'm in the process of adding secondary locks to so that there's a key and combination. Solely because I have teenagers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sometimes security theatre is convenient if only to show that there was criminal intent to take the gun without permission.

brains
May 12, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

those people can gently caress off, then. the threshold is simply having firearms in the house protected by something strong enough to defeat a child's attempts. saying this is too expensive or classism is an indefensible position. it is the bare minimum.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

Pelican cases? I think my rifle case was about $250. The little one for my .22 was around $40.

But you can cut through a Pelican case pretty easily with a battery powered circular saw.

I don't have kids, so my revolver just hangs out, loaded in its' holster in a closet between old clothes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

If your kid is taking power tools to your gun storage, you maybe just should get rid of the guns

Like, if this is part of your "this is a scenario i might dwal with" maybe decide which one is more important to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

If your kid is taking power tools to your gun storage, you maybe just should get rid of the guns

It's more of a creativity of your teenager thing at that point, but yeah, maybe take your guns to someone else's house.

Glad I don't have kids. For a variety of reasons, not just so I can leave my guns around willy-nilly.