Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

checkplease posted:

Makes me want to play crusader kings 3 again.

The Mount and Blade games are real good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ruddiger posted:

Best line of the movie

"I... am broke. I need money."

That line cutting immediately to Damon pulping a dude's face after wrapping chainmail around his fist is amazing.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Followed the advice of many and watched kingdom of heaven directors cut. Great stuff with a very epic feel. The only weakness is maybe bloom is unable to give the dramatic battle speeches near the end the needed gravitas. But he does look good doing it.

My favorite lines might be near the end when his character, Balian, is knighting all the peasants and the bishop asks in shock, “does knighting men make them better fighters.”

And everyone looks at the Bishop like this stupid idiot doesn’t know before Balian simply replies, “Yes.” And then turns and walks off.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Last Duel owns, Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut only) owns, I hope we can get at least one more medieval epic out of Ridley before he retires or dies.

Noticed that the dude who played Guy de Lusignan in KoH also showed up in Last Duel as Matt Damon's only friend, which was cool.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Last Duel owns, Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut only) owns, I hope we can get at least one more medieval epic out of Ridley before he retires or dies.

Noticed that the dude who played Guy de Lusignan in KoH also showed up in Last Duel as Matt Damon's only friend, which was cool.

Am I weird for kinda liking Robin Hood? That's medieval, right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also Le Gris's little toady was the bad guy in The Terror and he's such a great little character actor. He exudes weaselly menace.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Did some more reading about the IRL duel and something that was omitted from the movie is that at the actual trial, there was some testimony from Jacques' manservants and Margeurite's ladies-in-waiting, but as was customary at the time, testimony from commoners was only valid when verified through torture. :stare:

Goddamn, medieval times fuckin' sucked, y'all.

Dog_Meat posted:

Am I weird for kinda liking Robin Hood? That's medieval, right?

Literally forgot that movie existed -- wasn't it originally supposed to be CSI: Nottingham starring the Sheriff as the main character trying to hunt down the dastardly bandit Robin Hood?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Literally forgot that movie existed -- wasn't it originally supposed to be CSI: Nottingham starring the Sheriff as the main character trying to hunt down the dastardly bandit Robin Hood?

I kind of stumbled on it on DVD after it bombed. Sure, the sheriff was a bit of a pantomime villain (probably trying to be Alan Rickman), but I think the biggest problem at the time was people were expecting the full green tights Robin Hood and got a "Robin Hood Begins" film instead. And it was at the height of Russel Crowe being a diva so that hurt it a bit.

I don't remember it too well and I don't think it was a particularly gritty film, but it's Ridley Scott so you know it's a cinematic feast if nothing else

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also Le Gris's little toady was the bad guy in The Terror and he's such a great little character actor. He exudes weaselly menace.

oh right, that was the guy. seemed familiar.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Just watched this on disneyplus, definitely a great movie. I just wish they had the directors cut of kingdom of heaven on there. Definitely Margueite's viewpoint is the most accurate, the truth part of the title card stayed a noticeable amount of time.
The duel itself was pretty awesome, just two guys wailing on each other. Supposedly true to life, too, which makes it even better. It was a relief that it ended up being the truth that came out after the duel, once it was established what would happen to Marg if Carrouges died I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Dog_Meat posted:

I kind of stumbled on it on DVD after it bombed. Sure, the sheriff was a bit of a pantomime villain (probably trying to be Alan Rickman), but I think the biggest problem at the time was people were expecting the full green tights Robin Hood and got a "Robin Hood Begins" film instead. And it was at the height of Russel Crowe being a diva so that hurt it a bit.

I don't remember it too well and I don't think it was a particularly gritty film, but it's Ridley Scott so you know it's a cinematic feast if nothing else

I hate to pick nits but I'm not quite sure about your assertion here that in 2010, the absolute peak of the dark and gritty reboot era, very many people were expecting a green tights Robin Hood movie from the same guys who made Gladiator.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

I hate to pick nits but I'm not quite sure about your assertion here that in 2010, the absolute peak of the dark and gritty reboot era, very many people were expecting a green tights Robin Hood movie from the same guys who made Gladiator.

It may not have been a surprise or a disappointment, because I guess if you expect something you can't really be disappointed by it. I do think that's the reason the movie failed though. Especially because he cast Crowe again, it felt more like the standard Ridley Scott historical epic movie than anything resembling the classic idea of Robin Hood. And it's not like he was coming in after a run of previous Robin Hood films and people were ready for a new take, it had been 20 years since the Kevin Costner movie.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
This should have been nominated over Nightmare Alley. A disgrace, I demand Ridley and Guillermo duel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole 'dark, gritty and grounded reboot' era was pretty lol because it turns out if King Arthur doesn't pull the sword from the stone and seek advisement from a wizard then he'd better drat be an interesting character in his own right.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

It may not have been a surprise or a disappointment, because I guess if you expect something you can't really be disappointed by it. I do think that's the reason the movie failed though. Especially because he cast Crowe again, it felt more like the standard Ridley Scott historical epic movie than anything resembling the classic idea of Robin Hood. And it's not like he was coming in after a run of previous Robin Hood films and people were ready for a new take, it had been 20 years since the Kevin Costner movie.

honestly i think robin hood probably has a kingdom of heaven esque director's cut in the footage. it's 140 minutes and feels cut to poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

This should have been nominated over Nightmare Alley. A disgrace, I demand Ridley and Guillermo duel

Nightmare Alley slaps rear end but yeah this was at the very least slightly better, and arguably quite a bit better. just an accomplished film.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

precision posted:

Nightmare Alley slaps rear end

I didn't like it much!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The Last Duel being snubbed and even picking up a Razzie nom is a sign of its quality

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't love Nightmare Alley but I probably would swap out a few other nominees for The Last Duel before I'd take Nightmare Alley out. I think I'm just happy that Del Toro is now on that level where he can make a movie that's just ok and it's still gonna end up getting major awards nominations. He deserves that status. Every time he wins a major award we inch closer and closer to that At the Mountains of Madness movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, Nightmare Alley was fine, but it's definitely not the worst Oscar nomination. There are actually some solid choices this year, but Belfast and Don't Look Up at definitely worse than Nightmare Alley (all of the noms are worse than The Last Duel btw)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I didn't see those but I just watched NA last night and thought it was pretty bleh, unlike The Last Duel

^that's not quite right, I think Drive My Car is a bit better than The Last Duel but it's close

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I actually forgot Drive My Car my car got nominated. You're right, it's better. But even the other ones I like (Dune, Licorice Pizza, West Side Story) are as good as The Last Duel at best.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Belfast was some book club-rear end "ay que lindo" poo poo. gently caress that movie. Should've been The Last Duel's spot definitely.

I liked Don't Look Up, but I'd rather seen The Green Knight, Card Counter, or Red Rocket in there.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Enjoyed the movie, but felt that the dividing it with POVs was more a way to pad the runtime and didn't bring much to the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't even know what the Oscars are even pretending to do at this point because this movie was about as much of a capital-G capital-M Good Movie as it's possible to make

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nobody does historical fight movies like Ridley Scott. They’re pretty much a dying breed, but he’s one of the genre goats.

Monglo posted:

Enjoyed the movie, but felt that the dividing it with POVs was more a way to pad the runtime and didn't bring much to the story.

It did stretch on a bit too long.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Belfast was some book club-rear end "ay que lindo" poo poo. gently caress that movie. Should've been The Last Duel's spot definitely.

I liked Don't Look Up, but I'd rather seen The Green Knight, Card Counter, or Red Rocket in there.

The increased quality in cgi and the move away from traditional actors means we are incredibly close to seeing a red rocket in a movie. R rated star wars when?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

precision posted:

i don't even know what the Oscars are even pretending to do at this point because this movie was about as much of a capital-G capital-M Good Movie as it's possible to make

Suck up to rich Hollywood people.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also grandstanding

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Blue Raider posted:

Also grandstanding

Was there not enough of that in this movie?

(I thought it was great and totally should have been nominated)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

honestly i think robin hood probably has a kingdom of heaven esque director's cut in the footage. it's 140 minutes and feels cut to poo poo.

It really does. It's extremely episodic and whiplashes even within individual scenes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Monglo posted:

that's like...the entire story. the whole conceit of a trial and how what events each of them elide or include in their testimony is the story. what you are suggesting is a completely different story, about the same plot.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
That smug rear end in a top hat at the trial going "You can't get pregnant from rape. That's just science!" was so loving ridiculous, anachronistic, and perfect. What a great combination of detail focused storytelling and blazing polemic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
This is Ben Affleck’s best performance, right? He is such a delight in every scene of this movie. It’s like he knows he’s been straddled with the worst haircut of his life and he wants to draw attention away from it as much as possible.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Monglo posted:

The divided pov IS the story! :cmon:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

This is Ben Affleck’s best performance, right? He is such a delight in every scene of this movie. It’s like he knows he’s been straddled with the worst haircut of his life and he wants to draw attention away from it as much as possible.

It's just hard to compare lead roles to supporting roles. Like, in The Town he probably could've cast himself in the Jeremy Renner role if he'd wanted to and a lot of times that's a part that ends up being more memorable but the lead is still the tougher assignment overall. And he's drat good in The Town.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This explains why they went with the movie starring the actress from Outlander over Matt and Ben?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Monglo posted:

just lmao

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Reminds me of someone who said Inception had the dream layer thing added to the end to make it deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Movie was good. Haircuts were good.