Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say, I was rather leery about the movie's premise for about half of the runtime. I kept worrying it would do some garbage "did it happen or didn't it? :iiam:" copout or something like that.

But it didn't! The third act really tied it together in a satisfying way and avoided the pitfalls I was concerned about. And apart from that, it was also a good time! Both Damon's and Driver's characters are entertaining to watch despite and/or because of being horrendous people. And as a dumb nerd, I did appreciate that they made a solid effort in making the combat look pretty historic and realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Womp posted:

Still not really sure whats up with Drivers part of the story.

Like his truth had the longer kiss at their first meeting, the flirting and earlier consensual sex, and all his talk about love but the actual sex he shows is still rape.

So what does he think happened there? I feel like he could've safely told Affleck that he raped her but idk if I read his denials as him lying or believing himself innocent.

:shrug:

As he somewhat alluded to in his talk with Affleck, he believed that Marguerite only fought back for propriety's sake and was actually totally into it. To what degree he actually believed it as opposed to using it as a justification to himself is somewhat left up to the viewer, but he seemed fairly genuine about that belief. He certainly seemed self-absorbed enough to believe that. And it's still a shockingly common justification used by rapists to this day.