Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pissinthewind posted:

I really felt like this was a "look at how much better things are these days guys, really" puff piece topped off with a "if you can't get that at least watch us beat each other to death in the mud" spectacle. It feels like it wants to say something, but doesn't want to draw the criticism that comes along with that.

Except that what was depicted in this movie, is still true to this day. The Last Dual is just as much a critique of modern day society as it is of the time period it takes place in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The more I think about this movie tonight, the more I am sure this is my favorite film of the year. This had so many complicated layers to it, and its going to take a long time really think through the whole thing. I only just watched it tonight, but went away feeling like I saw one of Scotts best films, and that is extremely high praise since I put Alien, and Blade Runner as two of the best movies ever made.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Really enjoyed this. Everyone was so busy talking about how the excellent themes and structure that nobody I saw before I watched it had mentioned how loving awesome the actual duel was. It was so cool

I feel so conflicted about the actual dual itself. On the surface, it was just really great to watch, it was so intense, and violent, and Scott got all of the camera shots right, the editing was perfect, and it was very historically accurate and brutal. On the other hand, the duel itself, the context behind why it happens in the first place; is horrible, and a warning to everyone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if another artistic direction to go, that might have been better actually, is if we don't see the rape scene at all but instead are left to just believe Marguerite, since the movie otherwise makes it very obvious she is telling the truth.