Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Last Jedi is my 3rd favourite star war, it’s really actually a good movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Applewhite posted:

Okay, so here's my question: why don't they erect the cage on their end, have a third party set up the other cage at the target site, then drill directly from one to the other???

Okay trap sprung I guess, I can't believe I've read these books. They do what you're suggesting in later books. I think they use the blind punches only for destinations where they can't get the equipment in place beforehand, either because the society at the destination doesn't have the technical ability to build it, or because there's no society there at all.

There are also ships that can punch and act like tow trucks for remote locations. Hope that helps OP.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Freedom Trails posted:

a kind soul bought me a three-volume set of The Expanse but i dunno, these books are loving gigantic and look like a several months' reading. so, an investment. worth delving into or should i move on to greener fields? (ps, i have no clue how much potential alien sexual encounters there may be)

If you're an idiot that likes sci-fi these are probably some of the better modern books you can get into. They aren't high literature or anything but if you like nerd rear end poo poo then you'll love them.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

hot date tonight! posted:

If you're an idiot that likes sci-fi these are probably some of the better modern books you can get into. They aren't high literature or anything but if you like nerd rear end poo poo then you'll love them.

i'm that kind of idiot, so i'll give it a go. thanks.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Tell us more about the lizard

What kind of car does the lizard drive?

If this has already be answered I will take the answer again, please.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im only into sci-fi where the male author gets super into weird sex stuff and cant write women at all.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Poohs Packin posted:

Im only into sci-fi where the male author gets super into weird sex stuff and cant write women at all.

then you can have my collection of Heinlein crap I haven’t touched since high school

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lol Heinlein has a character who gives his ships computer the personality of a rambunctious 15 year old girl and threatens to "spank her little bottom" when she gets a little too sassy. You know, normal space stuff.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
How about some John Varley?

"Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.

Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.

An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.

All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".

There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction."

- John Valrey

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

if you want good scifi, with good people drama, might i suggest some c.j. cherryh.

the women are generally strong and competent, and the men are psychologically traumatized.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I picked up small angry planet because I liked the guy in the beginning who’s pissed off that all the qUiRkY characters are fooling around and wasting equipment. Then it turns out you’re clearly supposed to hate him for that so while everyone else is defusing bombs effortlessly and having lesbian lizard orgies he’s getting beaten and humiliated in jail and then legally owned by another character. Nobody even wants to rescue him just cause he’s a bummer. dude just wanted to touch his algae

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

How about some John Varley?

"Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.

Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.

An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.

All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".

There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction."

- John Valrey

Hachi machi 🥵🥵🥵
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/Eq2dWzN.jpg

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hedrigall posted:

Cozy sci-fi about a queer found family with alien and robot sex, p good imo

I've only gotten around to reading the first one so far but yeah. There's some alien weirdness and exploration stuff and the future isn't perfect, there are prejudices and injustices and even some physical danger but the main focus is on a slice-of-life story with mostly likeable characters mostly being decent to each other.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

What kind of car does the lizard drive?

If this has already be answered I will take the answer again, please.

a miata, iirc

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hot date tonight! posted:

Okay trap sprung I guess, I can't believe I've read these books. They do what you're suggesting in later books. I think they use the blind punches only for destinations where they can't get the equipment in place beforehand, either because the society at the destination doesn't have the technical ability to build it, or because there's no society there at all.

There are also ships that can punch and act like tow trucks for remote locations. Hope that helps OP.

Ok so why didn't they do it in the first book?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The main character saves the day by dying during lesbian sex op

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

People asking this about LotR always baffled me. You've already seen that there are flying monsters in Mordor. Gee, ya think maybe it's that the eagles can't or won't go flapping around in a monster-filled nightmare realm under the watch of a giant flaming eye?

Oh so they're cowards too

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They are centrist eagles ok?! Perfectly fine with the ring where it is

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Birds of low moral character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

american eagles