Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Is he at least using Keith's Red Light Therapy to protect himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens couldn't put the puck in an ocean

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers give up 2 goals with Russell/Barrie playing 26+ minutes lmao

Welcome to the Pittsburgh Penguins offensive experience (TM)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Edit: A quick note on the Oilers. I know their missing a bunch of defensemen, but beyond McD and Drai and sometimes Nuge this team isn't very good. I know earlier in the season I said I wasn't a believer and they hadn't played particularly tough comp and after watching them last night I'm even less of a believer right now. Their 'system' is to hope McDavid or Drai does something incredible and it ends in a goal. Which is a decent enough strategy they are that good, but come playoff time they're going to get sunk again by lack of depth and having the rest of the team get curb stomped when McDavid isn't on the ice.

Sullivan's stubborn insistence on keeping the same lines despite getting repeated mediocre results is pretty infuriating. He'll keep Guentzel-Crosby-Rust (or some variant thereof) together forever too despite the fact that that lines really not producing a whole lot. Why not try Zucker or Kapanen with Crosby ever? Zucker-Crosby was nice when Zucker first got traded over and then they never tried it again. You know what's gonna happen? Malkin is gonna come back and Sullivan's solution is going to be to plug him into Carter's spot. And then that line will still suck.

And yeah, Crosby looks bad. I want to cut him some slack due to missing camp, having covid, etc but if this is what he looks like now they are in trouble. Hopefully this isn't just him aging because if so yikes. I do think they'll probably make the playoffs because their underlying numbers are still solid and the scoring should come around (especially on the PP) as they get Malkin back but it's hard to see them doing anything there with this version of Crosby.

And yeah the Oilers did look pretty bad but maybe McDavid and Draisaitl can do an 09 Pens and just carry that team on their back to a cup. I'm pretty sure even that version of the Pens had far superior depth to this Oilers team though. Better d, better bottom six for sure. They didn't score a ton outside of Crosby/Malkin, but they definitely controlled play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jmarshfof/status/1466442170446106641?s=20

Suck it LAS :smug:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

If the Penguins are looking to be successful they're going to have to get significantly better value out of their $$$$$ than this.

Sullivan's a big process guy so I can see why he'd stubbornly stick with his lines to the end because the Pens' underlying metrics as a whole continue to look fine. It's still rather frustrating when they're struggling this hard to score. I get liking the process and all that and thinking that things will eventually turn but a short term change of things might spark something offensively. And if it doesn't, you're no worse off than you had been.

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s just a 4 game streak, the Leafs will be back at the bottom by next week :colbert:

Pfft. The Pens' offensive ineptitude runs deep this year.

e:

Sportsnet really going for it

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 2, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dahlin and Lafreniere both strike me as guys who aren't elite skaters (in terms of speed, obviously Dahlin at least is exceptional on his edges/laterally) but they also don't quite have the overwhelming level of skill or vision to compensate. Compare that to someone like Jack Hughes who also doesn't blow me away in terms of his vision or skills but who does have absolutely world class skating ability and he seems closer to becoming an elite player because of that.

I dunno it's just such a skating league now. You better have Patrick Kane or Draisaitl levels of vision/poise if you wanna be an elite player without being an elite skater.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
What's Gorton gonna do buy up some software that automatically sorts players in the draft by whether they're from Quebec or not?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

code:
Friday Practice Lines
Forwards

Jake Guentzel    -    Sidney Crosby   -   Evan Rodrigues
Jason Zucker     -    Jeff Carter     -   Danton Heinen
Brock McGinn     -    Teddy Blueger   -   Kasperi Kapanen
Zach Aston-Reese -    Drew O’Connor   -   Dominik Simon

Defense
Brian Dumoulin / Kris Letang
Marcus Pettersson / John Marino
Mike Matheson / Chad Ruhwedel

Possible Starting Goalie: Tristan Jarry
It's finally happened. Super ready for these lines to last 25 minutes and then 2 soft Jarry goals before Sullivan reverts back.

I'm glad he changed the lines up but still not super thrilled with Guentzel/Crosby/Rodrigues. I'd honestly almost flip Guentzel and Zucker. Guentzel doesn't need Crosby to create his own offense right now, whereas Zucker certainly could use a center that he has any chemistry at all with

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Marner’s out tonight wonder who’s gonna be on Matthews’ w-

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1467278472078843904?s=20

Sheldon. Sheldon what are you doing

Was that because of the Muzzin thing? I saw Muzzin accidentally hit him in practice or something and Marner was throwing a shitfit about it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

His shot metrics are wonky, but I would say his wrist has likely been a problem going back to '19-20 and definitely appears to continue to be an issue. Maybe it's Geno/Carter as centers and Sid on the wing....

Yeah the fact that he isn't taking every faceoff he can makes it seem like there must be something going on there. And also the fact that he seems to be avoiding holding onto pucks almost like he's afraid of contact. That's pretty far from what his normal game is. Right now he is mostly getting the puck and immediately flinging it somewhere on low percentage plays. Can only count a handful of times where he's held onto a puck in the corner for more than a few seconds at a time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is really agonizingly obvious that Sid can't bear being slashed and is avoiding it at all costs

I don't think he especially likes taking any kind of contact right now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Did I miss something? Travis Green hasn't even been fired yet has he?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It still amuses the hell out of me that the Flyers have both Mike Yeo and Michel Therrien on their staff. Some straight 09 Penguins poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Speaking of which, he's having such a slow start to the season that I'm almost shocked that Hand Knit hasn't written a sad, Kingston Frontenacs-centered note about it yet.

Bedard's not doing a whole lot either. He's doing fine but not putting up gaudy numbers.

Michkov looks sick though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

loving lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Jake Guentzel is really good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Can't China just grab a few KHL players and call it a day? Surely there's some guys that would change citizenship for a few bucks

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Adam Fox has a real Jake Guentzel thing going on where they don't look at a glance to be insanely talented and yet they are.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Guentzel is out week to week with an upper body injury. Presumably the hand that he took a shot off of last game.

That really loving blows because he was absolutely on fire. Guess we'll see what the offense is made of without him it will be bad

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't really get the Flyers. They alternate being lovely and being a playoff team, except this year they've finally broken that cycle and have decided to be dog poo poo two years in a row instead.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
JR is a really weird choice for a team that's not a contender. Even in an interim capacity.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I'll reserve judgement, but the most significant thing the last management group lacked was patience and I find it hard to imagine a 73 year old will have much more.

Patience is not one of JR's virtues.

Granted, I think it's easy to point at what a GM did before and assume that they'll behave the same way at their new position but I don't know if that's always true. Mcphee is in that President role for Vegas and Vegas is extremely aggressive about trades. If memory serves Mcphee was not a big wheeler and dealer with the Caps. Granted he's not the actual GM of Vegas, but even so I imagine he has a good deal of pull on what moves they make.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bettman does a good job. His job is to make the owners money and he's done just fine with that. That's not what we want out of a commissioner but that is most certainly what the owners want out of one.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah this is true but he is unquestionably super irrational about Arizona, which his employers apparently tolerate because he makes enough money for them.

From their perspective it's probably comforting to know that he'll go to the ends of the Earth to defend a team that is poorly run.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Arizona actually make money though?

They barely spend anything on players and they short Glendale on money owed so probably lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Devils are actually pretty good at generating 5v5 offense. The problem is they're also near the bottom at preventing it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
national anthems are dumb and they all sound like poo poo anyways

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They could shut it down for a few weeks to try and get it under control but the real question is will it matter? That would be temporary relief and with Omicron taking off I don't see this problem improving the rest of the season. In fact it might get worse.

How they will deal with the playoffs like this I have no idea.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

If the idea is to try to protect players from getting covid lol forget it, they are idiots.

The bigger issue is covid is not going away probably ever, this is going to happen every winter, and sports are super spreader events because lol at requiring proof of vaccination ever in most of the U.S.

Thing is though it's one thing to delay regular season games but quite another to deal with a team getting a ton of positive tests during the playoffs. You can't just put playoff hockey on hold for weeks at a time to let a team recover, but you also don't want to force them to play with an AHL lineup either. And meanwhile other teams are playing their series' and having to sit and wait.

It's gonna be bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

He only played 3 games last year because his hip surgery kept getting delayed by COVID.

How does Dallas always find these weird late round players that blossom into stars too. Jason Robertson? He's a second rounder at least but he seems pretty good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't think the Habs looked that bad last night, though it was an uncharacteristically sloppy performance by the Pens. I guess it says a lot about where the two teams are at though that the Pens still won handily. Though the Habs did hit like 6 posts so that could have gone a different way.

Surprised by how much Caufield is struggling because he's looked dangerous every time I've seen him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

i'm mixing up the premiership and NHL threads because they're both entirely tweets about entire teams getting covid

is the NBA thread like this also?

Yes, the NFL and NBA are both getting ravaged by covid as well.

At this point Olympics aside I'm just more wondering what the hell they do for the playoffs. Rescheduling regular season games is one thing. What do you if its the playoffs and you have a situation like the Flames right now? You're gonna wait two-three weeks or whatever to let them play and then hope that the team they're playing also managed to avoid going into lockdown during that time?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shouldn't be a hard adjustment for the Sens

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

172 year old Alex Ovechkin is leading the NHL in points.

For all the talk about his goalscoring I think people forget what a sick playmaker he is. In that Pens/Caps game recently the Pens gave him jack poo poo for space most of the game and he still found a way to setup two nice goals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think I like the idea of banning backwards momentum in 3v3. Seems kind of...arbitrary.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
NHL players aren't boosted either. The booster may offer significantly better protection than the 2 dose or 1 dose that most NHL players have had.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's no chance the NHL is going to cancel the season. I do think it's unlikely players go to the Olympics at this point. And the playoffs are going to be an utter shitshow unless the NHL figures out what to do in the event we get teams losing lots of players at once to covid protocols.

But they'll soldier on and try to squeeze a dollar anyways

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Matthews is the last good first overall we've even had. It's been nothing but disappointments since then.

Hischier: Is ok, but not really a #1 overall talent.
Dahlin: Kinda sucks? He had a good rookie season iirc but has been kinda bad since
Hughes: Maybe the best of the bunch, seems poised to break out but got hurt earlier this year.
Lafreniere: Dude is getting benched and playing like 8 minutes a night. It's actually shocking how poorly he has played.
Power: Is doing really well in college but what kind of #1 overall doesn't immediately enter the NHL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Dahlin's been a real disappointment because wasn't he supposed to be a generational or near-generational talent? Going in to the draft he was probably a better prospect than Wright too. poo poo, Hughes was also supposed to be a high-end 1-1 guy.

I dunno if it's bad development or bad luck, but that's a real run on first overalls at least stumbling badly.

Yes, Dahlin was very hyped. I suppose it's possible he still develops late and blossoms into a star player but he doesn't seem near it right now.

Hughes' talent level is off the charts but when I watch him I don't see high end hockey sense. He struggles to understand how the play is going to develop and makes a lot of puzzling decisions with the puck. I feel like it's hard to be a truly elite player without that ability.