Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

god bless steve yzerman for doing a burglary for ned

I love Ned but make sure you remember this post when he turns a win into a loss with his MAF impersonations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

And yeah the Oilers did look pretty bad but maybe McDavid and Draisaitl can do an 09 Pens and just carry that team on their back to a cup. I'm pretty sure even that version of the Pens had far superior depth to this Oilers team though. Better d, better bottom six for sure. They didn't score a ton outside of Crosby/Malkin, but they definitely controlled play.

The Staal/Kennedy/Cooke line was really good in the 09 playoffs and I don't think the Oilers have anything like that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm beginning to think there might be something to the half-joking suggestions that goalies have once again developed a way to cheat with their equipment, tbh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mike Works posted:

My brain processed the thread title "Five for Biting" as "Fire ___ Benning" and I got reallllllllll excited for about a second and now I'm sad.

And throwing in my two cents: Lafreniere was definitely touted as a generational talent, though an increment below Crosby/McDavid hype.

So, like, Tavares/Stamkos/MacKinnon level?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't remember him as being in the Crosby/McDavid class of hype but I pay very little attention to amateur prospects.

I guess another way to put it is that the only hockey players I had ever heard of more than 6 months before they were drafted were Lecavalier, Crosby, and McDavid. Not saying that's necessarily indicative of anything at all though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I also urge Crosby to boycott the Olympics because he has played unprecedentedly bad so far this year and I want him to rest. :( I'm really afraid his wrist is hosed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

Shesterkin had to be helped off the ice after trying to make a split save with no contact. Rangers are in deep poo poo if he’s out long term.

Don't worry, it's definitely not a major groin injury, they're just saying that because the last 96 times a goalie got injured in that exact way it was a major groin injury

:siiiiiiiiiiiigh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

jfc do you guys need a loving link to cspam, here you go, you're welcome

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cross checking penalties are pretty much back to historic norms by now, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You mean other than the like 5 times a game the broadcast shows the puck along the boards and someone flagrantly cross checks an opponent right at the bottom of the numbers two or three times in a row and the broadcasters don't even notice, right

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matheson/Ruhwedel is a catastrophe

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Normally I would agree, but Sid needs all the help he can get right now as well and something that has been extremely noticeable is Sid deferring or letting Rodrigues take faceoffs in all zones on the right hand side of the ice.

It strikes me as the smoking gun that Sid's wrist is hosed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah the fact that he isn't taking every faceoff he can makes it seem like there must be something going on there. And also the fact that he seems to be avoiding holding onto pucks almost like he's afraid of contact. That's pretty far from what his normal game is. Right now he is mostly getting the puck and immediately flinging it somewhere on low percentage plays. Can only count a handful of times where he's held onto a puck in the corner for more than a few seconds at a time.

It is really agonizingly obvious that Sid can't bear being slashed and is avoiding it at all costs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just Missing the 5v5 Finish: the story of the 2021-22 Pittsburgh Penguins

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You only had one shot to re-establish yourself in the NHL Bruce why would you do this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I mean, of all the people they could've hired, Boudreau is pretty good.

agreed, this will put my theory that the Canucks have decent enough talent to at least make the playoffs in the Pacific but Green is a bad coach to the test

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

well then I hope it's a shitload of money

honestly this is a catastrophe for Canucks fans because he'll probably get the team playing well the rest of the way and either barely making or barely missing the playoffs, which will be enough to buy Benning another couple years

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Can't wait for the Oilers to fire Holland and hire Benning

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

hit in question:
https://twitter.com/zjlaing/status/1467696247880384512?s=20

maybe the ref is some nhl washout who thinks McDavid clowning on folks is disrespecting the game or some stupid poo poo because I'm not seeing it here

It's like the high sticking double minor I think, if you call boarding and the victim bleeds it's an automatic 5+misconduct. The ref's only options were call that or call nothing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

shyduck posted:

I don't fully know what's up with the Isles but they started the season off with 13 road games in a row because their building wasn't done. There's no way that helped things

Yeah it's basically this plus Chara being neck and neck with JMFJ for Worst Player In The Entire NHL while playing big minutes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah swapping out Toews for Chara, yikes. It would surprise me not at all if that alone drops them from semifinalist to 14th place.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Flyers are going to get a nice dead cat bounce from firing AV and then Yeo will be torturing Flyers fans for the next 4 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Boudreau is the ideal coach to bring in when you've just fired a tyrannical hardass. If the Jets had fired Maurice and hired him they'd have ripped off a 19-3 run as sure as sunrise. The Jackets really should have hired him when they deep sixed Torts. Not sure how it'll go following Green and if defense is your problem he's not the guy to fix it. Won't be surprised if Pettersson immediately reverts to playing like a superstar under Bruce though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

E: to be clear I wish big Ben all the best and it's cool he's gonna try to play a few more before hanging it up. Just gently caress nill for doing everything he can to only play old men.

Sometimes it seems like the Stars really are actively seeking every possible opportunity to get older.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Teemu Selanne is a goddamned hero :allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You guys know the NHL players aren't actually going to go to the Olympics, if there ends up being an Olympics, right

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Of the original 3 the system the Pens seemed to employ was attacking Seattle through a high umbrella. Whether that's something they noticed on tape or the fluidity of Sullivan's attack is hard to say. The Pens executed it well enough, but my word is Seattle really awful in their own zone.

:actually: if you check your spreadsheet you will see that this is wrong and in fact Seattle is awesome at defense and Hakstol is a Good Coach and it's just that their goalies are all randomly playing terrible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Having only watched a few Seattle games and having extremely vague recollection of Hakstol Flyers I have a theory that Hakstol's defensive system positions players extremely poorly when they are 'in position' and as Jhet very nicely pointed out this system can be pulled apart fairly easily which leads to 'poor positioning panic' ending in both an inordinate amount of bounces going in, free players to slam home a rebound off of anything and everything, or just old fashioned forcing the goalie to try and make heroic post to post save...oh it went 5 hole. Which, if upon further review, is true... would be actually really neat for some how organizing and creating 'bad luck'.

What's it like to be that wrong?

Check the spreadsheets again you loving "watch the games" luddite, the stats are very very clear on this. Seattle is great at defense and the goalies are letting them down. It is not possible that the fancystats can be misled, as you know. Hockey is solved.

e: turning off sarcasm mode, it actually reminds me a bit of the Mike Johnston Penguins in that they always seemed to look OK in the stats but the finishing was comically bad across the board. Which if you actually watched the games made perfect sense since in Johnston's System you weren't allowed to ever carry the puck more than 5 feet from the boards and the only approved shot was the extremely tight angle shot from out past the faceoff dot and almost on the goal line.

Holy poo poo, it's almost like rigid systems that work in college/youth hockey are easily broken down by players with NHL level skill or something

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 8, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mike Works posted:

That's all well and good, but remember when Jim Benning got fired?

:unsmith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I love you rex. Never stop effortposting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Super pumped for Zucker-Sid-Kap

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Canucks are going to make a run at a playoff spot under Boudreau. They're not good talentwise but they have some star power and look around at the rest of the league, the Canucks' overall talent level is playoff fringe, not battling the Coyotes and Senators for top lottery position.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My favorite goofy years-long running subplot in hockey is how much everyone hates Oskar Sundqvist. Next time you see the Blues play watch #70, like every other shift someone is trying to destroy him. Guys that have been retired for years buy jerseys from the gift shop and go down onto the ice to take runs at him. No one is ever penalized for it. It's amazing and awesome. He must be the dirtiest player and/or greatest trash talker of all time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm so sorry, Canucks fans

Ginette Reno posted:

JR is a really weird choice for a team that's not a contender. Even in an interim capacity.

It illustrates that the delusional owners still insist the team is a contender

JR absolutely will get right to work trading away every future value he has for More Veterans

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's an impossible situation because no GM actually worth employing will even return a phone call from the Aquilinis.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Patience is not one of JR's virtues.

Granted, I think it's easy to point at what a GM did before and assume that they'll behave the same way at their new position but I don't know if that's always true. Mcphee is in that President role for Vegas and Vegas is extremely aggressive about trades. If memory serves Mcphee was not a big wheeler and dealer with the Caps. Granted he's not the actual GM of Vegas, but even so I imagine he has a good deal of pull on what moves they make.

To be fair, my and many Pens' fans reaction to JR's hiring in Pittsburgh was along the lines of "oh yeah, we just got the architect of those Carolina Hurricanes juggernauts that have made the playoffs once in the last decade" and then he ripped off one of the best/luckiest one-year streaks of transactions of any GM ever.

To be fairer, that was going on 10 years ago now and he burned the Penguins all the way down on his way out. And they've made one first round pick in the last 8 years IIRC. (e: to be clear I don't mean they hit on one first round pick and whiffed the rest, I mean they actually literally only kept one of their last 8 first round picks, and traded the rest for basically nothing)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Boooooo

Really hoped Arizona was flat broke

lol if you think that money didn't come from Bettman's slush fund

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

marioinblack posted:

I guess the team may be put out of its and their misery soon, but it sucks things arn't working out there.

Never ever ever gonna happen as long as Bettman is alive.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The time is right for the Mike Babcock Redemption Tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

To give up on Arizona would be to admit that he was extremely wrong on a subject he's now spent 25 years digging in harder and harder on. He's the goon in a well.