Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
I forgot to post my screenshots in here lmao

I’ll do that when I get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao

cruft posted:

I'm gonna go with both!

killing yourself softly with Linux 🎶🎵

more falafel please

forums poster

nesamdoom posted:

Anyone else get used to TWMs and vim so much that it is annoying to use a mouse?

i use windows at work because game development, but I use vi emulation in like every editor I can and everyone gets very confused

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

alnilam

I do a lot of actual remote shell posix type stuff these days for work and it makes me smugly happy that i started using linux as a teen :smugmrgw:

This includes using vim. I personally don't give a poo poo about the vim emacs rivalry but all i know is vim is there on everything I've ever SSHd into and emacs is not so i am just not particularly interested in learning emacs, even if it might be better (no opinion), it's just objectively not useful to me.

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

I do a lot of actual remote shell posix type stuff these days for work and it makes me smugly happy that i started using linux as a teen :smugmrgw:

This includes using vim. I personally don't give a poo poo about the vim emacs rivalry but all i know is vim is there on everything I've ever SSHd into and emacs is not so i am just not particularly interested in learning emacs, even if it might be better (no opinion), it's just objectively not useful to me.

a vi-compatible editor that can be invoked with 'vi' is literally in the posix spec. the best thing I can say about emacs is that the programming environment allows you to make it a vi

more falafel please

forums poster

honestly I don't care about editor wars my brain is just irreparably broken for anything but vi-style editing anymore

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Here's what my desktop looks like at the moment

ZENBU

I should post my neofetch in the morning

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

more falafel please posted:

i use windows at work because game development, but I use vi emulation in like every editor I can and everyone gets very confused

I used to use Atom on Windows and when I wanted to use gui editor on Linux, but it was mostly for the Power Mode plugin that shook the screen and had particle effects when typing(it was fun feeling like I was smashing the text into stone) but then I started using VSCode and it's vim and some other plugins really got me happy with how well I could get stuff done.

alnilam posted:

I never really got the point of caring what editor people use. I've played with emacs, but didn't get into it so I stuck with vim. I'd much rather people use whatever they want, but stop leaving trailing whitespaces because something in my brain goes insane about them. I actually read things in vim a lot because the plugins make it easy to jump between files and hjkl is a nice way to move around, but I have a whitespace thing that turns them to red blocks and when I'm reading a file I'll go through and delete them as I read then save it so if I need to look something up again I won't be annoyed.

And it's funny how something like SSHing to something makes some people think you are a wizard. It was nice to connect to the bedroom computer and crank volume up then play a song if I thought my gf needed to wake the gently caress up(Korn has a perfect song for this). But even stuff like setting up a port at people's houses so i could figure out what they did wrong on their computer and fix it without having to actually see my friends was nice.

For some scrots... These are back from the first Arch install I had turn out right and me having not yet gotten everything set up exactly how I wanted yet.

Hadn't started using irssi for irc yet

Had to get configs sorted on VM before doing physical install

And yep, Sasha Grey is a great background for medium opacity.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Sasha Grey :stwoon:

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

barnold posted:

Sasha Grey :stwoon:

Years on Twitter before permasuspend and my one greatest accomplishment was this.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
2022 will be the year of Linux on the desktop

cruft

a vi-compatible editor that can be invoked with 'vi' is literally in the posix spec. the best thing I can say about emacs is that the programming environment allows you to make it a vi

This thread is giving me perspective on what an incredible nerd I am.

Not only do I know both emacs and vim, and have several emacs packages published as well as code contributions in the upstream distribution, I also spent three years using exclusively Acme from plan 9, just to see how it was (it was awesome). During that time I came up with a whole bunch of Acme scripts and packages to make my personal environment even cooler, which convinced me to take over maintenance of the X11 port of the Plan 9 window manager, rio.

This isn't a flex I get to show off very often, thanks for indulging me.

These days I just use vscode and vi.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

cruft posted:

Not only do I know both emacs and vim, and have several emacs packages published as well as code contributions in the upstream distribution, I also spent three years using exclusively Acme from plan 9, just to see how it was (it was awesome). During that time I came up with a whole bunch of Acme scripts and packages to make my personal environment even cooler, which convinced me to take over maintenance of the X11 port of the Plan 9 window manager, rio.

unironically sick flex, thanks man

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cruft

Anyway, I hate computers.

CatBlack

hello world

cruft posted:

Very cool that you contributed to free software but.. HAIL VI, USE NO OTHER EDITOR

cruft

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Here's what my desktop looks like at the moment

ZENBU

I should post my neofetch in the morning

Here's mine:

I guess I got a little deep into Plan 9.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

cruft posted:

Here's mine:

lmao

more falafel please

forums poster

brb gonna make a BYOB HURD discussion thread to eventually replace this thread

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Here's mine:

legit how bare I love a desktop. I lose my poo poo about icons at all kuz I love me some transparency. But even on windows I run this thing and have drop down bars for shortcuts/launchers so that my desktop is clear. I laugh when ppl show off a setup or their wallpaper and it's a muddy fuckyshow to even see kuz they have a shortcut for everything they have installed... Linux Rofi/Windows Breevy and nothing on the desktop.

brb gonna make a BYOB HURD discussion thread to eventually replace this thread

Lol, that's the kernel that didn't work befor Linus sorted poo poo right? GNU did the main work but couldn't kernel the poo poo and Stahlman got so pissy that tux is linux kuz linus+unix when FSF did so much? FSF are pretty dope, but dude should be less butthurt about it being called linux since it wasn't usable without linus. also i maybe told him to shut up and called him a nerd on twitter, it wasn't a verified account but his name and a bit of followers(gnu guy).

did HURD ever get sorted? I know they eventually had so many things all together that it was possible to have non GNU system.

cruft

cruft posted:

Here's mine:

I realized, looking at my screenshot, that my desktop is kind of plain and boring. So I gussied it up a little.

cruft

Real talk: by default, Gnome doesn't provide a minimize button.

This is sort of strange. Even 9wm provides a way to minimize windows, and 9wm barely does anything at all. Looking into why this decision was made led me to something explaining that they want you to use multiple desktops, and just leave everything open all the time.

Not one averse to weird new ideas, I decided to give it a shot. I'm on the second year of working this way and I honestly don't miss minimizing stuff. Being able to quickly zoom out to a list of every window has been helpful and honestly roughly equivalent to having an icon bar, with the difference being that I don't have to try to recognize the icon I want: I just look for the window I want.

So I guess I'm a fan of this approach.

But this is why I set my background image to solid gray. I pretty much never see the background since it's mostly covered by windows.

Mummy Napkin
BYOBSD

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I haven't used my bedroom laptop for movies in a few years because the last couple places I've lived I just had my desk setup in the bedroom out of convenience and didn't need a second one. I booted it and something is hosed in the boot and I really don't feel like fixing it so I'm gonna reinstall something. probably arch since that's what I was running before and with vlc and a bare system it does it's job playing movies and lets me control it from externals.

Anyways, I don't wanna mess with my main system since I already need to do a fresh install on it sometime but keep putting it off, but I wanna try out Evilwm and figured I'd ask if anyone has used it before. Arch is nice for testing out diff combos of stuff so i think i'll use that on the older lappy that i normally would run i3 on(i'll still put i3, xfce, and flux on it just because they are great to have and take so little space).

and if noone has experience with it then I guess I'll drop a link and anyone into minimal setups might be interested in this https://www.maketecheasier.com/evilwm-a-devilishly-simple-window-manager-for-linux/
I think the only downside would be launching everything from terminal, which can be easy with & but I'd never give up on rofi being my goto for starting anything, so it wouldn't matter. a drop down terminal also would be a nice way to go for launching since it would leave the screen clear of anything not being ran. I generally avoid tabbing a terminal or using tmux other than on remote hosts so i can switch devices and keep working on the session.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I haven't used my bedroom laptop for movies in a few years because the last couple places I've lived I just had my desk setup in the bedroom out of convenience and didn't need a second one. I booted it and something is hosed in the boot and I really don't feel like fixing it so I'm gonna reinstall something. probably arch since that's what I was running before and with vlc and a bare system it does it's job playing movies and lets me control it from externals.

Anyways, I don't wanna mess with my main system since I already need to do a fresh install on it sometime but keep putting it off, but I wanna try out Evilwm and figured I'd ask if anyone has used it before. Arch is nice for testing out diff combos of stuff so i think i'll use that on the older lappy that i normally would run i3 on(i'll still put i3, xfce, and flux on it just because they are great to have and take so little space).

and if noone has experience with it then I guess I'll drop a link and anyone into minimal setups might be interested in this https://www.maketecheasier.com/evilwm-a-devilishly-simple-window-manager-for-linux/
I think the only downside would be launching everything from terminal, which can be easy with & but I'd never give up on rofi being my goto for starting anything, so it wouldn't matter. a drop down terminal also would be a nice way to go for launching since it would leave the screen clear of anything not being ran. I generally avoid tabbing a terminal or using tmux other than on remote hosts so i can switch devices and keep working on the session.

If you're in the market for minimalist window managers, may i suggest 9wm, maintained by yours truly!

Guaranteed to piss off anybody else who tries t use your computer.

Mummy Napkin

nesamdoom posted:

I haven't heard of evilwm. Seems pretty simple and neat.

If anyone needs a lightweight solution to make launching things on a minimal install easier, try out dmenu from the suckless folks.

It has many uses, but the most convenient is being able to pull up a search bar with a keybind and typing in what you want to launch and lettin her rip.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

If you're in the market for minimalist window managers, may i suggest 9wm, maintained by yours truly!

Guaranteed to piss off anybody else who tries t use your computer.

Might chuck that on a vbox and play with. prob not best for headless boxes with no perepherals. iffy on a laptop with only touchpad, but i'll deff try. if i can flick the cursor around then it'll be fine. I really feel like it sounds familiar and maybe I've seen it before, I spent a lot of time testing stuff. low ram use would be great on some the old pcs i use as servers with like a gig of memory. Niche as gently caress, but it would save me some on a computer running with everything. I just put it on my main to play with, i love how easy linux packages are to install normally. I might have an arch install already in a vm to chuck it on. and i love ppl not being able to use my pc, my windows ME didn't have a mouse and i had controls set on keyboard and everyone hosed right off before i could explain how to use the mouse(I wish i'd known bout linux then and I could have looked like a loving wizard).

Mummy Napkin posted:

I haven't heard of evilwm. Seems pretty simple and neat.

If anyone needs a lightweight solution to make launching things on a minimal install easier, try out dmenu from the suckless folks.

It has many uses, but the most convenient is being able to pull up a search bar with a keybind and typing in what you want to launch and lettin her rip.

I've not tried dmenu, but it sounds a lot like rofi. Center popup with(varied results based on things but i use combi) list of running things and then i can type whatever is on the system.
also just figured out i have dmenu, so i must have used it in the past few years, just can't think of what for. wait, dmenu shows up as a bar right? yea, now i remember. I used it a bunch on stuff before rofi to quick launch, I mostly switched because rofi pops center and Its easier to read. def a good thing to have tho and would work. now i'm trying to remember which computer/install i used it with a lot.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I haven't used desktop Linux in years. All that UEFI and trusted computing bullshit and Windows 10 constantly replacing the OS selection menu are solved issues these days? Or did it get worse? And what's the go to for people with not too much time to tinker with drivers and configs? Manjaro? Mint?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

alexandriao

Yuu Morisawa posted:

2022 will be the year of Linux on the desktop

Linux has always been on the desktop :)

alexandriao

it's also available on toasters!!!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Saoshyant posted:

I haven't used desktop Linux in years. All that UEFI and trusted computing bullshit and Windows 10 constantly replacing the OS selection menu are solved issues these days? Or did it get worse? And what's the go to for people with not too much time to tinker with drivers and configs? Manjaro? Mint?

I bailed that safe boot off everything I've gotten with it. All it does is prevent booting to USB and that's been a pain when people wanted me to fix their stuff and I can't be arsed with the computer thinking it controls me.

Mint and Manjaro are still good choices, really there's so many good ways to go. Set legacy boot, install whatever sounds good and give it a go. Personal preference is ParrotSecOS which has a home version that's not packed with the security tools, but runs well and already has most of what you'd need for regular use.

alexandriao posted:

it's also available on toasters!!!

I can't wait to get a smart toilet and put linux on it so if I flush wrong an ASCII train rolls by on the screen.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i touched a linux today

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

nesamdoom posted:

I bailed that safe boot off everything I've gotten with it

I'm not sure if that's an option for most computers out there. I'll look into it.

Dr. Honked posted:

i touched a linux today

Jesus... make sure you wash your hands thoroughly.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

cruft

I just spent two hours with a co-worker tracing down a problem that amounted to a one-line change to a configuration file.

We changed
code:
no-daemon
to
code:
keep-in-foreground
. Just in case any of you happen to be debugging dnsmasq responding slowly.

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

I just spent two hours with a co-worker tracing down a problem that amounted to a one-line change to a configuration file.

We changed
code:
no-daemon
to
code:
keep-in-foreground
. Just in case any of you happen to be debugging dnsmasq responding slowly.

what's the difference between those flags? i would expect them to mean the same thing

cruft

what's the difference between those flags? i would expect them to mean the same thing

Right?

no-daemon means "only handle one request at a time, serially, even if it takes 2+ seconds per request". keep-in-foreground means "don't daemonize".

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not sure if that's an option for most computers out there. I'll look into it.

Last I knew it took setting up in windows to boot to bios to change. it was a pain. I haven't done it in years because I am still running my computer from 2014. its supposed to be secure, but really is just annoying. Windows has a way though since they shouldn't lock you out from being able to go to bios. good luck.

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

Right?

no-daemon means "only handle one request at a time, serially, even if it takes 2+ seconds per request". keep-in-foreground means "don't daemonize".

i mean, I guess there's a difference between "daemon" meaning "fork and close stdout/in/err, then exit the parent" and "daemon" meaning "fork/thread/etc on incoming requests and process them on worker threads/processes" (which is what many daemons do) but I really thought the former was the actual definition of "daemon"

anyway that's frustrating

cruft

I really thought the former was the actual definition of "daemon"

https://linux.die.net/man/3/daemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

i forgot that this library function exists because I think my edition of Stevens' APUE shows doing it manually. and I don't work on platforms that have fork() generally speaking