Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka of lathspell

im linuxing now get used to it

:bsdsnype:

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

more falafel please posted:

i forgot that this library function exists because I think my edition of Stevens' APUE shows doing it manually. and I don't work on platforms that have fork() generally speaking

I've never used it, but I was using runit for years before systemd took over, and both of those want stuff to stay in the foreground. Demonizing is kind of an outdated way to write services, thank goodness.

cruft

baka fwocka fwame posted:

What if I refuse?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I'm used to it now. thank you for the notification.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
baka of lathspell

nesamdoom posted:

I'm used to it now. thank you for the notification.

it seems p chillin like i just took a 1000mg antidepressant

i cant wait to experience, my linux journey

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

cruft

it seems p chillin like i just took a 1000mg antidepressant

i cant wait to experience, my linux journey

What's your favorite man page?

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

ln(1), given my ratio of `ln` to `man ln`

also because ln(1) = 0

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

I haven't used my bedroom laptop for movies in a few years because the last couple places I've lived I just had my desk setup in the bedroom out of convenience and didn't need a second one. I booted it and something is hosed in the boot and I really don't feel like fixing it so I'm gonna reinstall something. probably arch since that's what I was running before and with vlc and a bare system it does it's job playing movies and lets me control it from externals.

Anyways, I don't wanna mess with my main system since I already need to do a fresh install on it sometime but keep putting it off, but I wanna try out Evilwm and figured I'd ask if anyone has used it before. Arch is nice for testing out diff combos of stuff so i think i'll use that on the older lappy that i normally would run i3 on(i'll still put i3, xfce, and flux on it just because they are great to have and take so little space).

and if noone has experience with it then I guess I'll drop a link and anyone into minimal setups might be interested in this https://www.maketecheasier.com/evilwm-a-devilishly-simple-window-manager-for-linux/
I think the only downside would be launching everything from terminal, which can be easy with & but I'd never give up on rofi being my goto for starting anything, so it wouldn't matter. a drop down terminal also would be a nice way to go for launching since it would leave the screen clear of anything not being ran. I generally avoid tabbing a terminal or using tmux other than on remote hosts so i can switch devices and keep working on the session.

cruft posted:

If you're in the market for minimalist window managers, may i suggest 9wm, maintained by yours truly!

Guaranteed to piss off anybody else who tries t use your computer.

Thanks for the info frens

I love learning about new WMs/DEs I've never heard of

baka of lathspell

cruft posted:

probably any page from the freakin bible amirite

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

anyway im just package applicating stuff & things as one does

alnilam

Finally upgrading my ancient Linux Mint 18 install lol. Did not even notice it was unsupported now, until I started getting a ridiculous amount of captchas accusing me of using an unsupported browser or OS.

alnilam

I'm afraid to boot up my even more ancient Win7 partition but I badly need to sync my google drive stuff. Anyone here have a fav workaround for google drive on linux?

ty manifisto

cruft

alnilam posted:

I'm afraid to boot up my even more ancient Win7 partition but I badly need to sync my google drive stuff. Anyone here have a fav workaround for google drive on linux?

I use rclone. Last time i looked, which granted was a long time ago, Google had a Linux drive doodad.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alnilam posted:

I actually use my website as a cloud storage. I have set it up for a few other people to to backup photos and stuff from phone. Due to rules about not using the site for storage purposes I also use a bit of the stuff. But other than the cloud storage I have ftp configed a few ways. That feeds into some scripts. Like i have a basic install script that i'll download on a fresh install and run and it'll install programs i want and download/place other files where they need to go on the system. It's nice to wget one file and run it then the whole system is configured to feel like all my others.

I still use Win7, it's not terrible and I've had time to adjust it. But Windows 100% threw breaking code into the updates and for some reason it works less than the clean 2014 disk I have. But I kinda blame MSI for a bit of my dependency, why sell a computer over $2k and not let people have drivers for poo poo. Linux users that work poo poo out and share their work are the reason I don't think everyone in the world is a dick.

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
baka of lathspell

i rm rfed like 7 seconds onto my boot time and fixed it by correcting a symlink in package lvm2

get innnn

idk if i described that right tho

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

cruft

i rm rfed like 7 seconds onto my boot time and fixed it by correcting a symlink in package lvm2

get innnn

idk if i described that right tho

You ran rm -rf and it added 7 seconds to your boot time, which you got back by fixing a symbolic link?

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Alias murder='rm -rf'

I like this alias, makes me consider my choice before committing.

cruft

I pointed out to the new guy that there's an `rmdir` command which is generally a lot safer than using `rm -rf` to destroy a directory, and his mind was blown.

I try to use `rmdir` whenever possible to avoid colossal gently caress-ups where I think I'm deleting an empty directory but whoops actually I mistyped it.

baka of lathspell

ya turns out i just masked the problem but its technically true i solved the boot hangup

ya idk i think it was rm rfing. im not sure what else i wouldve done that wouldve added to it

ya im obvs still new at this

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

ya turns out i just masked the problem but its technically true i solved the boot hangup

ya idk i think it was rm rfing. im not sure what else i wouldve done that wouldve added to it

ya im obvs still new at this

im informed it was actually likely how i set up my partition

lol

baka of lathspell

i actually dont know but everything seems fine now :)

cruft

er... okay... just be sure to back stuff up :ohdear:

alnilam

nesamdoom posted:

Alias murder='rm -rf'

More like murdir

ty manifisto

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Been using Linux since the late 90s as my daily driver. I'm as annoying as can be expected with computery things.

Last few years it's been MX Linux but I nearly jumped ship to another distro when I learned there wasn't a supported upgrade path from 19 to 21 but I got it sorted.

Did somebody say year of the Linux desktop yet? Friendly reminder than lwn still exists.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

nesamdoom posted:

Alias murder='rm -rf'

I like to alias sudo to "loving" but my coworkers are more kindly and alias it to "prettyplease"

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alnilam posted:

More like murdir

I'll add this alias as it seems more appropriate.

knuthgrush posted:

I like to alias sudo to "loving" but my coworkers are more kindly and alias it to "prettyplease"

I used to have gently caress aliased to repeat the last command with sudo at the front. I can't imagine most of my aliases would be work friendly or helpful to others.

Mummy Napkin
loving apt-get install freedoom

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Mummy Napkin posted:

loving apt-get install freedoom

loving apt install anarchism -y

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
doas pacman -S bitches

cruft

At home, I recently replaced my three USB external backup drives with a real USB 3.0 DAS unit. The disk speed is INCREDIBLE now.

But it was really loud. I tried a couple things to quiet it down but nothing really seemed to work, until I found this One Weird Trick: remove the case and rest it on a crumpled-up diaper.

AMA

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

This thread is very much responcible for my not logging into guild wars 2 for dailies in months. I only have windows install for some games i don't bother to put effort into setting to run on linux. But, i haven't had random crashes or system freezing errors or anything just deciding not to work since I last booted windows. kinda funny how people think linux takes so much work but 90%(i guess) of online tech support for computers is trying to figure out why windows hosed up for no reason. I need to go through the gimp thread and learn to use that better since i'm so PS dependant now. I still can't believe adobe managed to buy macromedia and then killed the best parts of it and over time pretty much let the rest become pointless. maybe i should wine up my 05 copy of dreamweaver since i always liked that. but to my point, it's nice how stable linux is compared to windows when everyone seems to have the idea that linux is so much work. guess i'll keep using my linux laptop to fix everyone's windows computer.

cruft posted:

At home, I recently replaced my three USB external backup drives with a real USB 3.0 DAS unit. The disk speed is INCREDIBLE now.

But it was really loud. I tried a couple things to quiet it down but nothing really seemed to work, until I found this One Weird Trick: remove the case and rest it on a crumpled-up diaper.

AMA

scented or unscented?
actually, what's DAS? and congrats to upgrading your external storage, I wanna sometime do that when I can afford 2-3 20TB drives. I'll set up a 5TB partition to send stuff to instead of deleting it after that.
Addition: it'll be good too kuz i can take all my old computers running mostly server set ups and stop using them as network storage. not that it's difficult having them all run, mostly pretty easy, but i'd rather only maintain one and that'd prob be easiest from the stero laptop or my main work/gaming one. then I suppose the rest could just be powered on every so often for redundant backups or pushing unimportant tasks to.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 24, 2022

alexandriao

nesamdoom posted:

This thread is very much responcible for my not logging into guild wars 2 for dailies in months. I only have windows install for some games i don't bother to put effort into setting to run on linux. But, i haven't had random crashes or system freezing errors or anything just deciding not to work since I last booted windows. kinda funny how people think linux takes so much work but 90%(i guess) of online tech support for computers is trying to figure out why windows hosed up for no reason. I need to go through the gimp thread and learn to use that better since i'm so PS dependant now. I still can't believe adobe managed to buy macromedia and then killed the best parts of it and over time pretty much let the rest become pointless. maybe i should wine up my 05 copy of dreamweaver since i always liked that. but to my point, it's nice how stable linux is compared to windows when everyone seems to have the idea that linux is so much work. guess i'll keep using my linux laptop to fix everyone's windows computer.

If you use Steam, I've been using the Ubuntu 22.04 pre-release (It has the PS5 controller kernel drivers!) and Proton has been loving perfect! It's played everything I've thrown at it, including:

- Elite Dangerous
- Halo MCC
- MSG V
- Sable
- Doom (2016)
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Cloudpunk
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
- Psychonauts (Windows version works better than Linux Native version -- Had to switch to Proton 5.13-6 but it was just selecting a different menu item)
- Journey

and loads more. I do do a courtesy check on protondb because sometimes folks will say stuff like "oh there's some stuttering unless you use this early version of proton" or "use WINED3D=blah for better performance", but it has been so painless

It looks like guild wars 2 has a reasonably good rating on it, and some folks have said online works by the look of it!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

alexandriao posted:

If you use Steam, I've been using the Ubuntu 22.04 pre-release (It has the PS5 controller kernel drivers!) and Proton has been loving perfect! It's played everything I've thrown at it, including:

- Elite Dangerous
- Halo MCC
- MSG V
- Sable
- Doom (2016)
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Cloudpunk
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
- Psychonauts (Windows version works better than Linux Native version -- Had to switch to Proton 5.13-6 but it was just selecting a different menu item)
- Journey

and loads more. I do do a courtesy check on protondb because sometimes folks will say stuff like "oh there's some stuttering unless you use this early version of proton" or "use WINED3D=blah for better performance", but it has been so painless

It looks like guild wars 2 has a reasonably good rating on it, and some folks have said online works by the look of it!

Steam did finally do a good thing with the Proton thing. it was great since Valve never hated on linux and it was great to see steam support it. I'll look at the stuff for running it on linux tho, it'd be nice since I haven't played much since i need a new fan or my laptop goes to 90s in temp when running a game and that's not chill. booting windows just to launch to check market and collect daily was more work than i needed. but linux always has ran things nicer for me. the biggest hangup i've had was with parrotsec and things being firejailed, but i figured workarounds and figured how to launch things with optifine settings that worked. parrotsec is pretty well set to not let things interact with each other so it takes some work to convince everything to be friendly. but on the other side i don't worry about any amount of comprimise. and it's so funny to listen to ppl talk about banning mac adress for games when they don't realise how easy typing randmac is.
I haven't gotten a ps5 controller but the ps4 worked so well for the few things i use controller on, mostly driving/racing sims, that i've never been bothered much. even my ps3 controllers are great to play. i've had so much less problem with linux and controllers than i've had with windows. i'm not even trying to poo poo on windows, but they kinda do it to themselves really. fl studio has a steam version which is on of the only things i've used windows for also. i should just put in some effort and make ps run on here and then i'd prob not need windows.
I've spent a bunch of money on(pretty good really) software for windows to just add normal functions from linux or packages. alt-space popping up a box to type anything i want was like just a few bucks to get a decent thing on windows, and i do like breevy but rofi is free and so much better. i think my efforts to make windows act like linux have mostly been a waste when i could have been just letting linux do everything better with a small bit of tweaking.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

scented or unscented?
actually, what's DAS?

Unscented diapers.

DAS = Direct Attached Storage. Don't worry, i didn't recognize it either until I started looking around a few months ago. New acronym, i guess. But essentially it's a case for up to 4 hard drives, and they all show up as USB. This is great for my Raspberry Pi server, which barely has enough leftover amps to power a single external hard drive. So now I can theoretically have like 40TB mounted and not have to juggle power use on a USB hub. Also, the 5" disks are much faster than the notebook disks. But it was more expensive to get started with.

Yesterday one of my employees offered some 20TB hard drives. Turns out his friend works on hard drive firmware and frequently has extra hard drives to get rid of. For my application, having 20TB suddenly vanish is okay, so it looks like I'll be going from 50% free space to like 80% free space, which is clearly desirable because

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Ok yea, so it's a separate rigged thing to house drives, like a Nas but not needed to have separate. Not a bad thing. Cleaner than just slapping usb splitter onto external drives. I've thought of setting up a 2.0 on one my servers just to add storage and really ,2.0 is fast nuff for local streaming... But if I could mount something like yours under my desk it'd save me a lot of effort. Do you get option to run raid or normal on the controller?

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

Ok yea, so it's a separate rigged thing to house drives, like a Nas but not needed to have separate. Not a bad thing. Cleaner than just slapping usb splitter onto external drives. I've thought of setting up a 2.0 on one my servers just to add storage and really ,2.0 is fast nuff for local streaming... But if I could mount something like yours under my desk it'd save me a lot of effort. Do you get option to run raid or normal on the controller?

USB 2.0 is absolutely fast enough for streaming movies. a 4k movie can run 45-55Mbps. USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps. So you could realistically serve up five simultaneous 4k videos without breaking a sweat.

My USB 3.0 DAS does not provide any sort of hardware RAID (I hate hate HATE HATE HATE hardware RAID), but there are many available solutions that do.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

USB 2.0 is absolutely fast enough for streaming movies. a 4k movie can run 45-55Mbps. USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps. So you could realistically serve up five simultaneous 4k videos without breaking a sweat.

My USB 3.0 DAS does not provide any sort of hardware RAID (I hate hate HATE HATE HATE hardware RAID), but there are many available solutions that do.

I mostly was just asking about raid kuz I don't need that and it would really be a pain to have it as a normal setup. i have been using a 2003-4 desktop with ide drives on intranet for a movie server without prob. I generally don't go over 480-720 on movies normally kuz only my main rig has even 1080 and 4k is way more res than I need. hardlined to the router and sshfs mounted I can play what i want from the server box and so yea even if i switched up and put the storage device to the newer laptop i use for music on me entertainment stand and just set that as my full media server, since it has hdmi also i could run to the tv, and I think it'd work great. It's either that way or I drill alil into the underbits of the desk(glass or i'd mount to the bottom of the top). as easy as linux makes it to mount other devices it'd work either way for my use. I love the idea of having so much storage as your thing does. I'm way into data hoarding. I added a drive to my laptop and then took the dvd drive out to put in another and still think i need to replace them with sshd drives for the two hard drives and maybe upgrade the ssd to a 2tb newer model.but, then again decent direct external would work for most of what i have on here anyways. it's funny that really read speeds and transfer don't matter much as far as playing games off external. plust i could add another 16gb ram and i don't even need all of mine on linux so i could set up that as a ramdrive for the stuff i use most.

cruft

Tried Manjaro last night and it is definitely what I've been looking for. Arch Linux with an installer? And it comes with flatpak préinstallés? And it doesn't enable snaps by default? And it works out of the box with this nutty tiger lake sound chip? I am here for this!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

cruft posted:

Tried Manjaro last night and it is definitely what I've been looking for. Arch Linux with an installer? And it comes with flatpak préinstallés? And it doesn't enable snaps by default? And it works out of the box with this nutty tiger lake sound chip? I am here for this!

He'll yea, I love Manjaro for easy installs and no worries for a good arch install without fuss. It's one the few things I'll keep new releases on incase I ever need to throw it on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

cruft posted:

I read this as "tried marijuana last night" and I have two things to say:

1. Manjaro is terrific
2. I need to go back to the too high to post in BYOB thread.