Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

What even is a Loonix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

My OS is a POS (my gaming machine runs Windows :v: )

cruft

biosterous posted:

what is the third-best version of linux

The one that keeps throwing lawn darts at all the others.

cruft

cruft posted:

The one that keeps throwing lawn darts at all the others.

Oh wait you said Loonix, not Teletubbies.

cruft

Ubuntu 21.10 split out some kernel modules into an "extra" package, so when I release upgraded my router, it couldn't vlan tag anything, so it couldn't get through the switch to the ISP in order to download the package needed to get the 8021q module needed to vlan tag packets.

I could talk your ear off about running GPU compute nodes in a cloud, but it's more fun to make jokes, so I'll just do that instead.

ar m god

cruft

Hi, I'm currently trying to recover data from a cephfs where the max inode counter was reset to 0 and then somebody wrote a bunch of files to it. It's month 18 of this recovery effort.

AMA.

cruft

Yuu Morisawa posted:

what’s cephfs and max inode counter

If you've ever felt like you needed a filesystem that lived on 18 machines and 329 disks, cephfs is for you!

An inode is like an index entry for a file. It tells the filesystem where the file lives on the disk (which is frequently lots of different places) and who owns it and a bunch of other stuff. If you reset the max counter to 0, then suddenly your filesystem starts blowing away entries that point to files when you write new files. This makes things cranky.

nesamdoom posted:

Is rope very expensive or are you lazy?

I'm gonna go with both!

cruft

Yuu Morisawa posted:

what’s cephfs and max inode counter

Not much, dog, what's cephfs and max inode counter with you

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

FFS, I haven't lost my breathe laughing in months, but ya loving got me. GG, I'm gonna take shot and go back to bed.

Further proof that if you keep repeating the same stupid busted-rear end joke enough times, eventually you'll tell it to somebody who's never heard it before!

cruft

Trollipop posted:

i been running mint with cinnamon on a live boot sometimes

I've been running cilantro with cedar bark on a dead boat sometimes

cruft

more falafel please posted:

a vi-compatible editor that can be invoked with 'vi' is literally in the posix spec. the best thing I can say about emacs is that the programming environment allows you to make it a vi

This thread is giving me perspective on what an incredible nerd I am.

Not only do I know both emacs and vim, and have several emacs packages published as well as code contributions in the upstream distribution, I also spent three years using exclusively Acme from plan 9, just to see how it was (it was awesome). During that time I came up with a whole bunch of Acme scripts and packages to make my personal environment even cooler, which convinced me to take over maintenance of the X11 port of the Plan 9 window manager, rio.

This isn't a flex I get to show off very often, thanks for indulging me.

These days I just use vscode and vi.

cruft

Anyway, I hate computers.

cruft

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Here's what my desktop looks like at the moment

ZENBU

I should post my neofetch in the morning

Here's mine:

I guess I got a little deep into Plan 9.

cruft

cruft posted:

Here's mine:

I guess I got a little deep into Plan 9.

I realized, looking at my screenshot, that my desktop is kind of plain and boring. So I gussied it up a little.

cruft

Real talk: by default, Gnome doesn't provide a minimize button.

This is sort of strange. Even 9wm provides a way to minimize windows, and 9wm barely does anything at all. Looking into why this decision was made led me to something explaining that they want you to use multiple desktops, and just leave everything open all the time.

Not one averse to weird new ideas, I decided to give it a shot. I'm on the second year of working this way and I honestly don't miss minimizing stuff. Being able to quickly zoom out to a list of every window has been helpful and honestly roughly equivalent to having an icon bar, with the difference being that I don't have to try to recognize the icon I want: I just look for the window I want.

So I guess I'm a fan of this approach.

But this is why I set my background image to solid gray. I pretty much never see the background since it's mostly covered by windows.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I haven't used my bedroom laptop for movies in a few years because the last couple places I've lived I just had my desk setup in the bedroom out of convenience and didn't need a second one. I booted it and something is hosed in the boot and I really don't feel like fixing it so I'm gonna reinstall something. probably arch since that's what I was running before and with vlc and a bare system it does it's job playing movies and lets me control it from externals.

Anyways, I don't wanna mess with my main system since I already need to do a fresh install on it sometime but keep putting it off, but I wanna try out Evilwm and figured I'd ask if anyone has used it before. Arch is nice for testing out diff combos of stuff so i think i'll use that on the older lappy that i normally would run i3 on(i'll still put i3, xfce, and flux on it just because they are great to have and take so little space).

and if noone has experience with it then I guess I'll drop a link and anyone into minimal setups might be interested in this https://www.maketecheasier.com/evilwm-a-devilishly-simple-window-manager-for-linux/
I think the only downside would be launching everything from terminal, which can be easy with & but I'd never give up on rofi being my goto for starting anything, so it wouldn't matter. a drop down terminal also would be a nice way to go for launching since it would leave the screen clear of anything not being ran. I generally avoid tabbing a terminal or using tmux other than on remote hosts so i can switch devices and keep working on the session.

If you're in the market for minimalist window managers, may i suggest 9wm, maintained by yours truly!

Guaranteed to piss off anybody else who tries t use your computer.

cruft

I just spent two hours with a co-worker tracing down a problem that amounted to a one-line change to a configuration file.

We changed
code:
no-daemon
to
code:
keep-in-foreground
. Just in case any of you happen to be debugging dnsmasq responding slowly.

cruft

what's the difference between those flags? i would expect them to mean the same thing

Right?

no-daemon means "only handle one request at a time, serially, even if it takes 2+ seconds per request". keep-in-foreground means "don't daemonize".

cruft

I really thought the former was the actual definition of "daemon"

https://linux.die.net/man/3/daemon

cruft

i forgot that this library function exists because I think my edition of Stevens' APUE shows doing it manually. and I don't work on platforms that have fork() generally speaking

I've never used it, but I was using runit for years before systemd took over, and both of those want stuff to stay in the foreground. Demonizing is kind of an outdated way to write services, thank goodness.

cruft

baka fwocka fwame posted:

im linuxing now get used to it

:bsdsnype:

What if I refuse?

cruft

it seems p chillin like i just took a 1000mg antidepressant

i cant wait to experience, my linux journey

What's your favorite man page?

cruft

alnilam posted:

I'm afraid to boot up my even more ancient Win7 partition but I badly need to sync my google drive stuff. Anyone here have a fav workaround for google drive on linux?

I use rclone. Last time i looked, which granted was a long time ago, Google had a Linux drive doodad.

cruft

i rm rfed like 7 seconds onto my boot time and fixed it by correcting a symlink in package lvm2

get innnn

idk if i described that right tho

You ran rm -rf and it added 7 seconds to your boot time, which you got back by fixing a symbolic link?

cruft

I pointed out to the new guy that there's an `rmdir` command which is generally a lot safer than using `rm -rf` to destroy a directory, and his mind was blown.

I try to use `rmdir` whenever possible to avoid colossal gently caress-ups where I think I'm deleting an empty directory but whoops actually I mistyped it.

cruft

er... okay... just be sure to back stuff up :ohdear:

cruft

At home, I recently replaced my three USB external backup drives with a real USB 3.0 DAS unit. The disk speed is INCREDIBLE now.

But it was really loud. I tried a couple things to quiet it down but nothing really seemed to work, until I found this One Weird Trick: remove the case and rest it on a crumpled-up diaper.

AMA

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

scented or unscented?
actually, what's DAS?

Unscented diapers.

DAS = Direct Attached Storage. Don't worry, i didn't recognize it either until I started looking around a few months ago. New acronym, i guess. But essentially it's a case for up to 4 hard drives, and they all show up as USB. This is great for my Raspberry Pi server, which barely has enough leftover amps to power a single external hard drive. So now I can theoretically have like 40TB mounted and not have to juggle power use on a USB hub. Also, the 5" disks are much faster than the notebook disks. But it was more expensive to get started with.

Yesterday one of my employees offered some 20TB hard drives. Turns out his friend works on hard drive firmware and frequently has extra hard drives to get rid of. For my application, having 20TB suddenly vanish is okay, so it looks like I'll be going from 50% free space to like 80% free space, which is clearly desirable because

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

Ok yea, so it's a separate rigged thing to house drives, like a Nas but not needed to have separate. Not a bad thing. Cleaner than just slapping usb splitter onto external drives. I've thought of setting up a 2.0 on one my servers just to add storage and really ,2.0 is fast nuff for local streaming... But if I could mount something like yours under my desk it'd save me a lot of effort. Do you get option to run raid or normal on the controller?

USB 2.0 is absolutely fast enough for streaming movies. a 4k movie can run 45-55Mbps. USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps. So you could realistically serve up five simultaneous 4k videos without breaking a sweat.

My USB 3.0 DAS does not provide any sort of hardware RAID (I hate hate HATE HATE HATE hardware RAID), but there are many available solutions that do.

cruft

Tried Manjaro last night and it is definitely what I've been looking for. Arch Linux with an installer? And it comes with flatpak préinstallés? And it doesn't enable snaps by default? And it works out of the box with this nutty tiger lake sound chip? I am here for this!

cruft

knuthgrush posted:

I read this as "tried marijuana last night"

This was my work computer!

But can you post a link to the installer image, just so I know what not to install?

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I've always had a small army of low volume flash cards and a couple large ones for transfers I couldn't make over a network. But I find myself now wondering if I can set a USB to boot to grub and partition multiple ISOs to it. Give myself a multi-installer to keep updating(obviously allocating extra space to each partition for future expansion of the ISOs). I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with this kinda thing and specifically if I can set it up to boot to like grub and select from the ISOs on there to install?

What you want is possible, but the way you described it isn't.

ISO files are actually CD-ROM images. Somebody discovered a hack so that you could have a bootable CD-ROM image that could also be dumped onto a flash drive and boot there too. But nobody's written a multi-boot loader for a CD-ROM.

You can multi-boot off a flash drive, though, which is more or less a hard drive. You would need some sort of boot loader like grub, and then multiple partitions containing whatever live-boot thingy you want. This is possible, and I have done it before.

However, almost every distribution that presents you an ISO is going to need extensive and intense work to have it work outside of its ISO kludge. Generally this would involve unpacking the ISO into an EXT2 filesystem, and modifying some of the early boot scripts to look in a different place for things. I got this working with Ubuntu and... something else, I forget, maybe Arch. It took me days.

It's just a whole lot easier to carry multiple flash drives.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

Is Debian server still good on old 32 bits? It's been like 4 or 5 years since the last time I set up media servers from old desktops.

It's also been about 3 since I fully installed ParrotSec instead of updating it. Which has made problems with their package system changes, but work arounds have sorted most of it. So I might make a day of reinstalling systems on a few laptops and desktops later this week.

Also, I'll look it up, but I swear there was a kid-friendly build of something years back and I might take the extra laptop I used to have in my bedroom and set it up for my kid. Sadly it's not touchscreen or he'd pick it up quick, but I might be able to find one someone is trying to throw away and fix it up for him rather than offer to fix it for them if they get me some booze.

Linux still works just great on 32-bit CPUs.

For the kid-friendly laptop, I'd recommend CloudReady OS, which just turns it into a Chromebook. Advantages:

• It applies security updates automatically
  • Very few opportunities for the kid to brick the machine
  • You can run full Debian Linux on it if you want (but you have to enable that, and it may not work with really old hardware)

cruft

I did a Loonix yesterday and now I'm drinking some decaf.

Coincidence? Probably.

cruft

Ohtori Akio posted:

when i am running linux, i enjoy awesome wm

I'm the current maintainer of 9wm.

I don't use it, though.

cruft

It's a real pain in the rear end, and won't make sense. Kinda like the first time you ran vi or ed.

I recommend watching a YouTube video first.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I've mostly used Dreamweaver since the early naughts with a small bit of hand coding in vim/vscode to make adjustments. I want to be able to flesh out a site like dreamweaver though and be able to reference other pages/resources on the site in a similar way(like a project that includes stuff. I just don't want to have to keep referencing stuff constantly to point stuff in the right direction during initial setup. Also, bonus if I can ftp both ways to keep things current, but as i'll just be working off of this computer it really only matters for uploads which still i can do manually without too much effort.

This is probably not at all what you wanted to know. But on the off chance it helps:

I use Hugo to build informational sites, and just raw files for apps. I run rsync to publish things. I stay close to vanilla on everything: no jQuery, React, or whatever. The libraries I do use are luxon, and chart.js. I sometimes use Bulma CSS.

VSCode makes working this way a heck of a lot easier than it used to be.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

What terminal emulators and shells y'all running?

I've got a few for different stuff. I use Guake/BASH with Su so that I don't run boss mode poo poo on accident. I have Terminator/Zsh(with oh-my-zsh) for my main because I love my customized greys/whites/reds on a black background for typing(took alil work to make vim work pretty with it).

foot, tmux, and bash (or dash, or ash, or busybox sh, or ksh, depending on what's available on the system).

Oh, except, on my chromebook (my primary non-work machine) I use hterm, which is the only game in town, and is pretty good. But still tmux and whatever shell is there.

I ran tcsh for a couple months in the 90s. Not my bag.

And I used rc enough to decide not to any longer. At that point I would have been using acme to run the shell, which isn't so much a terminal emulator as a line printer emulator with some really cool editing stuff.

In the past, when I did remote admin of machines with really high latency, I used a custom shell mode I wrote for emacs that does line buffering so you don't notice the lag so badly (all your editing happens locally and when you hit enter it finally sends text over the network).

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 28, 2022

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I still really gotta learn to emacs. I dug into vim and it's so nice but i still hear good stuff and know i should learn to use emacs.

Honestly, don't bother. Visual Studio code is where it's at now. I don't even use Emacs anymore, and I was a huge Emacs nerd in my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

knuthgrush posted:

Also re: snaps, that's why I don't use Ubuntu for anything but the odd server or containers at work. On my computers, I use a combination of apt packages and flatpak. I hope flatpak overtakes snaps but canonical just digs their heels in.

Dear god do I hate snaps.