Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Usually my brain kind of instantly assigns the voice of someone I know, either personally or like an actor or voice actor I’m familiar with, as soon as I read a new character’s dialogue, I guess based on their appearance or personality reminding me of them. It’s mostly been voice actors from anime or other video games I think. But sometimes it’s just this:

Arrhythmia posted:

It sounds like me, going "argh mateys".

Which I assume is what my brain defaults to if it doesn’t match the character to a voice right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sometimes it's more of an abstract thing, like the first time i played final fantasy 7, i pictured bugenhagen to sound pretty much exactly like the ancient grand priest guy from final fantasy 10 so i hooped and hollered when i heard him talk.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I read every line of text out loud, in between thanking news subs and any donations that happened since the last time I thanked my viewers. I do exaggerated funny voices. My full time editor compiles the more inspired reads into their contractually obligated thrice-weekly video packages for my YouTube channel. Interesting question thanks for asking OP.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISC INTO THE SLOT. ITS FINAL FANTASY 7 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE VOICES FOR THE MAIN CHARACTER, CLOUD. I DO EVERY VOICE AND I DO EVERY VOICE HARD. MAKIN ANIME GRUNTS WHEN I PULL OF A CLIMHAZARD LIMIT BREAK OR EVEN WHEN I GET KO'D. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WIELDED A BLADE AGAINST THE GREAT SEPHIROTH. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WORK AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN AN OFFICE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 60 HOURS INCLUDING GRIND EVERY WEEk.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
When I was playing through Luigi's mansion I read all the dialogue out loud in funny voices because my kid was watching me play

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Spoderman posted:

i don’t have many of these but in my head gau has always sounded like beavis doing the cornholio voice

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I read every line of text out loud, in between thanking news subs and any donations that happened since the last time I thanked my viewers. I do exaggerated funny voices. My full time editor compiles the more inspired reads into their contractually obligated thrice-weekly video packages for my YouTube channel. Interesting question thanks for asking OP.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

This

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I had the disk version of King's Quest V and enjoyed it. Then I got King's Quest V on CD with a new computer and it had voice acting.

After playing it I learned my lesson and always disable/click through any voice acting so I can read the text in peace.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tato posted:

I had the disk version of King's Quest V and enjoyed it. Then I got King's Quest V on CD with a new computer and it had voice acting.

After playing it I learned my lesson and always disable/click through any voice acting so I can read the text in peace.

this but star control 2. it was one of the ones we had to read out loud and i needed the voices to sound like the ones i tried to do as a kid.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I know when I played Curse of Monkey Island the characters didn’t sound like I expected them to from the first two games. I don’t think I really gave them voices in my head though

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

this but star control 2. it was one of the ones we had to read out loud and i needed the voices to sound like the ones i tried to do as a kid.

i don't really like the va in ur quan masters except for the urqans tbh.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Tato posted:

i really hate the narrator vas in all the sierra games that have it except qfg4 since that has Lord Gimli reading everything iirc

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this isnt the exact thing but i'm playin bloodstained right now and whenever i talk to myself i call miriam "miriam of the [number of techniques i mastered so far] techniques." so right now she's miriam of the seven techniques

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training posted:

yup

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

i don't really like the va in ur quan masters except for the urqans tbh.

The Ur Kel Masters. *Accidentally declares war on Ilwrath* Did I do thaaaat.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

When games have those bleepbloopboopbeep noises as text shows up I like to imagine the characters actually talking via a series of bleeps and bloops

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I have never ever assigned voiced to characters. I simply read the words.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

this isnt the exact thing but i'm playin bloodstained right now and whenever i talk to myself i call miriam "miriam of the [number of techniques i mastered so far] techniques." so right now she's miriam of the seven techniques

I do weird poo poo like this too lol

any time I see The Surge in my library I hear it over and over in my head as “Da Soige” in an absurd Jimmy Durante voice and it cracks me up

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hizke posted:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I learned how to read without an internal or external monologue a long time ago op.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

any time I see The Surge in my library I hear it over and over in my head as “Da Soige” in an absurd Jimmy Durante voice and it cracks me up

Lmfao jimmy durante ftw

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I heard teh Penguins op

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I learned how to read without an internal or external monologue a long time ago op.

nice dude

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Plebian Parasite posted:

Not the same thing, but sometimes when I'm hungry I say "Green Wizard needs food badly"

It’s always Blue Wizard for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hizke posted:

This