Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

for whatever reason, the entire time that i played final fantasy 5 this time around, i heard all of Bartz's lines in the voice of philip j. fry.

it reminded me that back before games could be voice acted, it could be fun to "cast" the characters. i remember distinctly thinking back in the second grade that this secret of mana NPC was sean connery:

golbez from final fantasy 4 was obviously james earl jones.

what voices do you hear when you play old video games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

I read the entire thing in my internal monologue, unless I've ever heard the author speak, in which case I hear it in their voice.

this is insane. what if the character is obviously supposed to sound like a pirate, like in Moby dick? what about Gau from final fantasy 6?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

you read a dickens novel and give the characters your voice? this is insane

exactly. you're going to read mr pecksniff's dialogue in your own voice? Absurd

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

HERE LIES
    GAU.
HE NEVER
  RAGED.

lol

I got the tude now posted:

I use my internal monologue but I’m doing different voices and impressions in my voice. Like instead of hearing jack Nicholson as Kefka I hear my impression of jack Nicholson.

ah, the classic joker casting for kefka.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

I got the tude now posted:

The real question is do you say a funny or epic line out loud to really savor it. I’ll answer after reading the room, as is customary.

i have two younger brothers so in the early days we used to read all the lines out loud to make sure that we weren't skipping past dialogue before the youngest could catch up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sometimes it's more of an abstract thing, like the first time i played final fantasy 7, i pictured bugenhagen to sound pretty much exactly like the ancient grand priest guy from final fantasy 10 so i hooped and hollered when i heard him talk.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I read every line of text out loud, in between thanking news subs and any donations that happened since the last time I thanked my viewers. I do exaggerated funny voices. My full time editor compiles the more inspired reads into their contractually obligated thrice-weekly video packages for my YouTube channel. Interesting question thanks for asking OP.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISC INTO THE SLOT. ITS FINAL FANTASY 7 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE VOICES FOR THE MAIN CHARACTER, CLOUD. I DO EVERY VOICE AND I DO EVERY VOICE HARD. MAKIN ANIME GRUNTS WHEN I PULL OF A CLIMHAZARD LIMIT BREAK OR EVEN WHEN I GET KO'D. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WIELDED A BLADE AGAINST THE GREAT SEPHIROTH. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WORK AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN AN OFFICE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 60 HOURS INCLUDING GRIND EVERY WEEk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tato posted:

I had the disk version of King's Quest V and enjoyed it. Then I got King's Quest V on CD with a new computer and it had voice acting.

After playing it I learned my lesson and always disable/click through any voice acting so I can read the text in peace.

this but star control 2. it was one of the ones we had to read out loud and i needed the voices to sound like the ones i tried to do as a kid.