Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

I've replayed every game except for Reach and played 4 and 5 for the first time within the last year.

4 was pretty good but insanely short, like "I beat the game in one ~6 hour session on a lazy Saturday" short. Takes the story in a weird new direction that feels like it's building to something bigger and then is COMPLETELY ignored by 5.

5...5 had solid gameplay alongside some good ideas and world building (One level sees you visiting a planet where humans are working for a mining company attempting to restore a world that was previously glassed by the Covenant) but it never quite gelled. The whole "Team of SPARTAN-IVs tracks down a 'rogue" Chief and his team" conceit sucked - you know Chief is still a good guy, and it's not like they try to obfuscate that in the narrative - and the "Now you always have a team of AI squadmates" mechanic felt half-baked. That said, the last level or two when the story really comes together (Cortana repaired herself with Forerunner tech...but now she's both rampant AND all-powerful, deciding that she knows how to protect humanity whether they like it or not, and uses her newfound abilities to rally almost every AI in the galaxy into turning on humanity to join her crusade) really sets the stage for a wild next installment...so of course from what I've read Infinite handwaves a lot of those developments immediately.

Oh and ODST is pretty great for what it is, a short game composed of relatively quick action setpieces tied together by navigating a moody hub world (One night in New Mombasa between the Covenant invasion in 2 and the discovery of the Artifact in 3.)

Finding out that the whole "First Civilization remnant has manifested themselves in modern times" story was wrapped up in a comic (that also introduced Desmond's bastard tween son) made both no sense and The Most Sense.

I’ve been big into Halo since 2001, but I have zero recollection of any of the stuff you posted from 4 and 5.

Literally all I remember from those games is they had lovely promethian weapons and promethians, Nathan fillion, and Cortana drama. Hand on a Bible, I can’t remember anything else. Not even what the Cortana drama was. 4 and 5 are black holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there were two rts games too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't play much Halo, but I do every so often poke around the wiki to learn more about the world, because it's pretty neat.

And I think very little was actually added to the lore by the games after 3, and then when 4 came along to add its big crazy revelation, all the big stuff happens in books and dtv animated stuff and junk instead of from the game itself. The people who care about the lore have left the games behind, leaving the games with not much to prop up their stories.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't play much Halo, but I do every so often poke around the wiki to learn more about the world, because it's pretty neat.

play odst

it's two stories of being left behind by a terrifying war you can't fully understand

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo up to 3 told a pretty cohesive story, then Bungie was under contract to make another which didn't really mesh but was a fun sendoff, then 343 missed the point and poo poo the bed

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cease to Hope posted:

there were two rts games too

Oh yeah I think they're vaguely tied in to Infinite too

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

josh04 posted:

Cortana is your helpful Windows search assistant, my friend.

Lmao that this is true.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1468996834353946637

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Did they ever go back after 4 and retcon the whole "humans were better than forerunners, and the forerunners left their technology to us because they were sad they defeated the invading genocidal space empire who totally would have won against the flood if they hadn't been attacked by the forerunners by the way" thing? Because that was probabaly the saddest and most childish thing that 343 did to the series in 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Icedude posted:

Did they ever go back after 4 and retcon the whole "humans were better than forerunners, and the forerunners left their technology to us because they were sad they defeated the invading genocidal space empire who totally would have won against the flood if they hadn't been attacked by the forerunners by the way" thing? Because that was probabaly the saddest and most childish thing that 343 did to the series in 4.

7's villain appears to be shaping up to be another race the Forerunners imprisoned and it would make sense and be a good hook if they hadn't arbitrarily not made the forerunners humans.

Still looking to enjoy shooting them in the face

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I never understood where people got the whole "Forerunners were humans" thing. I thought the original games spelt it out that the Forerunners decided to not preserve themselves as punishment/atonement for nuking all life in the galaxy. Humans just happened to be the lucky proto-civilization in the right place at the right time to get handed the keys, and then in 3 they revealed that was because they used our planet to build the portal to the Ark.

I mean until 4, but gently caress that game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New Halo game is Single Dad has to raise a daughter, right down to his midlife crisis being buying a grapple hook.

Icedude posted:

I never understood where people got the whole "Forerunners were humans" thing. I thought the original games spelt it out that the Forerunners decided to not preserve themselves as punishment/atonement for nuking all life in the galaxy. Humans just happened to be the lucky proto-civilization in the right place at the right time to get handed the keys, and then in 3 they revealed that was because they used our planet to build the portal to the Ark.

I mean until 4, but gently caress that game.

In Halo 1 343 Guilty Spark immediately approves of MC and acts surprised that MC doesn't know what the rings do and is totally non-phased by the need to find another person to approve firing the ring, so most people went got it, humans=forerunners.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think many details about the Forerunners themselves came out until Halo 3, and for the first to games and even a good chunk of 3, there's just a lot of weird details about humanity was known to the Forerunners and a bunch of Forerunner artifacts point towards Earth and there's even some critically important Forerunner artifact on Earth. "The humans were Forerunners" does seem to make more sense than "The humans had their own ancient primordial space empire that was exiled back to Earth and all traces erased".

But really all those abstract hints as to there being some kind of relationship between the Forerunners and humanity seem more like things that were just thrown in as some fun extra spice without actually having a plan for them in the first place. I think I've seen a few other series do that just on the side without really having a plan. I guess the real shame is that somehow that was made into the new focus of the series and the Covenant and all the alien groups that formerly composed it just become no longer relevant. Couching all the plot in events a billion years ago instead of the peoples of the present having more active agency.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The line "You ARE Forerunner" didn't help

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

The line "You ARE Forerunner" didn't help

I can see how this might be misinterpreted, yes.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think it was a mistake to resolve both the overwhelming Covenant and unstoppable Flood in just a handful of games. Nothing 343 cooks up will be as interesting as the original worldbuilding.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

bees x1000 posted:

I think it was a mistake to resolve both the overwhelming Covenant and unstoppable Flood in just a handful of games. Nothing 343 cooks up will be as interesting as the original worldbuilding.

While I admit I haven't played any Halo after Reach, I thought actually fighting the Forerunners and playing as a new Spartan hunting down Master Chief because he'd broken with the government over Cortana were both excellent story pitches. It's too bad they apparently didn't work out well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I played 4 for the first time only a month ago.

And it was staggering how little the writers cared about anything besides "Cortana is breaking down"

"The covenant are bad again" is just totally and completely handwaved.

How do you remove all motivation from the only enemies you see for the first half of the game like that?

Not a goddamn thing that happened made any sense at all

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ikanreed posted:

I played 4 for the first time only a month ago.

And it was staggering how little the writers cared about anything besides "Cortana is breaking down"

"The covenant are bad again" is just totally and completely handwaved.

How do you remove all motivation from the only enemies you see for the first half of the game like that?

Not a goddamn thing that happened made any sense at all

they were a splinter faction that kept on keeping on when the greater Covenant broke. Makes sense to me that a giant theocratical empire would shatter into a million factions and successors when its high up leadership was killed.

that said the line "these ones seem more fanatical" is garbage.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I get that explanation but really 343 doesn't know how to make halo without covenant aliens to shoot so they'll continue to be shoehorned into every game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mazerunner posted:

they were a splinter faction that kept on keeping on when the greater Covenant broke. Makes sense to me that a giant theocratical empire would shatter into a million factions and successors when its high up leadership was killed.

that said the line "these ones seem more fanatical" is garbage.

"These ones seem more fanatical than the guys who tried to suicide bomb the uinverse"

sad question
May 30, 2020

Played reach and 1 recently on gamepass to check out the franchise.

Reach is pretty fun but has Rogue One problem where characters are hard to care about. I guess I liked the lady.

1 is where I realized that it's pure shlock elevated by great music. Which is fine tbh. Levels are a bit too long. I'm sure they would have blown me away in Xbox classic times but now I'm like get on with it. Liked the little sassy robot.

Verdict: pretty cool I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo Aliens hoping the human afterlife sucks is a great bit of worldbuilding done off handedly in Halo 6

They also play Xbox, so thats probably less canonical

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not that the Covenant remnant shouldn't have been there, it's that there could've been a plethora of ways to better integrate them into the plot and give them some character and a part in the story. Maybe it could've even been more interesting if they were something other than religious zealots like the old Covenant.

But the story couldn't spare any time for that because it wanted to focus on Cortana and the Forerunners, and I guess they didn't want to juggle a bunch of factions at once like the original trilogy of Halo games did.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It also provides a convenient reset back to the way fans of the first game remember things being.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

sad question posted:

Played reach and 1 recently on gamepass to check out the franchise.

Reach is pretty fun but has Rogue One problem where characters are hard to care about. I guess I liked the lady.

1 is where I realized that it's pure shlock elevated by great music. Which is fine tbh. Levels are a bit too long. I'm sure they would have blown me away in Xbox classic times but now I'm like get on with it. Liked the little sassy robot.

Verdict: pretty cool I guess.

People criticized 1’s campaign for that kind of thing at the time, especially the middle to late game levels that made you backtrack through whole maps or reused locations. You’re right that people were impressed by Halo at the time, but that was more from levels like The Silent Cartographer that allowed you to play with the sandbox a little and not the flood hallways. They’re a bad design decision.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo 6 modus is "ok, look, Silent Cartographer's opening was awesome, lets let you whenever you are bored do another silent cartographer"

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Barudak posted:

Halo 6 modus is "ok, look, Silent Cartographer's opening was awesome, lets let you whenever you are bored do another silent cartographer"

Which sounds loving awesome.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Halo 2 is the high point for single player in terms of level design, cinematic moments, and high stakes drama. This is primarily because the humans have no story at all between them beyond "can we defeat the aliens" so the interspecies conflict in the covenant is loads more interesting.

Odst is a close second for having good character writing and the budget for some real heavy hitter va's

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sarcastro posted:

It’s real good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sarcastro posted:

Friend it is

Its also a game with about 8 named characters with meaningful speaking roles and three of them are all the same person with different life moments voiced by the same person and sound completely distinct which is just some top notch voice direction

I guess also if grunt towers are canonical the covenant play xbox and love metal gear solid

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
In regards to the human/forerunner connection, the original ending of Halo 2 had 343 lead the Arbiter to a forerunner crypt that contained a human skeleton

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Barudak posted:

Friend it is

I bought a copy (yes, I do that still for the most part), wrapped it, and asked my wife to give it to me as a Christmas present. It's under the tree, silently calling to me all the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sarcastro posted:

I bought a copy (yes, I do that still for the most part), wrapped it, and asked my wife to give it to me as a Christmas present. It's under the tree, silently calling to me all the time.

What... no. gently caress why. Get it on Game Pass you crazed presumably adult human

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That’s the most insane poo poo I ever heard. Does your wife not get you gifts

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah just get Game Pass. Games are, by their very nature, ephemeral now. You can buy a disc, but it still needs to make a DRM check-in with a server in order to run. Or it's a game with a heavy online services component and won't be fully playable in 5 years. Plus, any game that comes out right now will be re-sold to you within the next decade when a new console generation rolls around.

(The talk around Halo Infinite is that 343 intends expand on the title for years, like Bungie has done with Destiny, which...hell yeah, please do. The fundamentals of movement and combat in this installment are just phenomenal.)

That DICK! posted:

That’s the most insane poo poo I ever heard. Does your wife not get you gifts

I understand this, from the perspective of "My Mom asks me for a Christmas List every year, and then I'm supposed to act surprised when everything I asked for is under the tree." Some people are just very risk-averse when it comes to gifts.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

I understand this, from the perspective of "My Mom asks me for a Christmas List every year, and then I'm supposed to act surprised when everything I asked for is under the tree." Some people are just very risk-averse when it comes to gifts.

No! No! That’s not true! :qq: I don’t even ever get nothing really!

Although really now that I’m trying to put a finger on what I find objectionable about it just keeps moving and being nothing. I guess I’ve finally realized the fraud that is adult Christmas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When we joined The Covenant we took an oath.
ACCORDING TO OUR STATION. ALL WITHOUT EXCEPTION.
On the blood of our fathers, on the blood of our sons, we swore to uphold The Covenant.
EVEN TO OUR DYING BREATH.
Those who would break this oath are heretics, worthy of neither pity nor mercy. Even now, they use our Lords' creations to broadcast their lies.
WE SHALL GRIND THEM INTO DUST.
And continue our march to glorious salvation!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Oh yeah a big halo nerd has an LP going on. One and two are done, three is just getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
man halo 6's story, huh