Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMpjMmCd00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't play much Halo, but I do every so often poke around the wiki to learn more about the world, because it's pretty neat.

And I think very little was actually added to the lore by the games after 3, and then when 4 came along to add its big crazy revelation, all the big stuff happens in books and dtv animated stuff and junk instead of from the game itself. The people who care about the lore have left the games behind, leaving the games with not much to prop up their stories.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think many details about the Forerunners themselves came out until Halo 3, and for the first to games and even a good chunk of 3, there's just a lot of weird details about humanity was known to the Forerunners and a bunch of Forerunner artifacts point towards Earth and there's even some critically important Forerunner artifact on Earth. "The humans were Forerunners" does seem to make more sense than "The humans had their own ancient primordial space empire that was exiled back to Earth and all traces erased".

But really all those abstract hints as to there being some kind of relationship between the Forerunners and humanity seem more like things that were just thrown in as some fun extra spice without actually having a plan for them in the first place. I think I've seen a few other series do that just on the side without really having a plan. I guess the real shame is that somehow that was made into the new focus of the series and the Covenant and all the alien groups that formerly composed it just become no longer relevant. Couching all the plot in events a billion years ago instead of the peoples of the present having more active agency.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not that the Covenant remnant shouldn't have been there, it's that there could've been a plethora of ways to better integrate them into the plot and give them some character and a part in the story. Maybe it could've even been more interesting if they were something other than religious zealots like the old Covenant.

But the story couldn't spare any time for that because it wanted to focus on Cortana and the Forerunners, and I guess they didn't want to juggle a bunch of factions at once like the original trilogy of Halo games did.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As I understand it, before the Covenant came along, humanity was kinda mostly controlled by a fascist Earth government, and they were fighting a bunch of rebel space colonies trying to secede, but after the space rebels did a couple 9/11s public sentiment turned against them.

And then the Covenant broke the space rebels first, but the anti-rebellion troops wound up being great for killing aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems very much like a very different vibe from the original Halo games. I guess Halo 3 and Reach had a similar sort of desperation for humanity vibe, but it wasn't that dire. Halo's story was a lot more fun, the characters were more upbeat, there were some downright silly moments even if it wasn't all comedy. What's the show gonna be like when some grunts show up and start squealing?

I know that the show wants to be more melodramatic, but like if you want war as serious business where everybody is sad and depressed, adapt Gears of War.