Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xeria posted:

My eye is on Van; she already survived a wolf nearly tearing off her face so I'm guessing she outright survives the whole 19 months and she seems primed and ready to be a Full Believer and possible 2nd in command to Lottie.

Plus writers/directors will be unable to resist the chance to have a character who gets introduced in some way that leads up to a dramatic reveal of the wolfbite scars on their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

coronatae posted:

Allegedly Showtime is going to get season 2 out by the end of the year so I'm looking forward to descending into madness once again.

I want to try bear meat.

I don't know how the hell they're going to do that considering they haven't even started writing season two yet. It sounds like this was so successful for Showtime that they just want new stuff ASAP, but I'd rather they focus on making it good first. That's part of why Lost ended up going off the rails.

And bear meat sausage is ok. Kind of greasy. I don't think I'd ever pay for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don't know how the hell they're going to do that considering they haven't even started writing season two yet. It sounds like this was so successful for Showtime that they just want new stuff ASAP, but I'd rather they focus on making it good first.

I mean, Showtime has nothing right now. Dexter? Done (probably, hopefully). Billions? Long in the tooth, lost its main star, heading south. Nothing else is over four seasons IIRC.

Gormenghast? Development hell.
Halo? Stolen from them for Paramount+
On Becoming A God In Central Florida? Covid cancelled.
Black Monday? In limbo, no news in a year, probably cancelled.

They've got the Andrew Scott starring Ripley adaptation that's done filming, plus Naomi Harris is in The Man Who Fell To Earth (but that's gonna be a risky prospect).

They need this show.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the doggo scene :ohdear:

what the heck was that room anyway

sudden appearance of cultists in weird symbol jumpsuits to kidnap natalie was a bit stupid. i guess they have to resolve the travis plotline some way other than "idk he just got real sad and actually did kill himself" but someone seeking revenge or whatever coulda done that without a onesie. makes sense if they're people we'd recognize but it still looked really goofy in a show that's otherwise been fairly normal (if extreme) events through a psychological horror prism making it seem supernatural

Yeah they could have all had the same necklace or something instead of those stupid clothes. I still thought it was a cool reveal, seems like next season will have an actual antagonist.

I gotta scratch my head at some of the people saying the supernatural elements are ambiguous though. So far we’ve had:
  • exploding teddy bear
  • bear walking up to a crowd of people and letting itself get killed
  • A freshly killed deer full of maggots
  • Lottie suddenly becoming fluent in a language that she didn’t know before

There’s some ambiguity about Lottie’s visions and whatever’s going on with Taisa, but there’s been other stuff that has no rational explanation. I feel like some people won’t be convinced until we see a giant monster (hopefully not made of smoke).

Edit: a cool detail I missed the first time is that Lottie basically foresees Laura Lee’s death at the end of the baptism in episode 6 — “I saw fire and light” — which Laura Lee misinterprets as the Holy Spirit.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 17, 2022

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Until the last episode, Jackie being alive was possible. Now she's dead, unless there is some black magic stuff going on

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, Showtime has nothing right now. Dexter? Done (probably, hopefully). Billions? Long in the tooth, lost its main star, heading south. Nothing else is over four seasons IIRC.

Gormenghast? Development hell.
Halo? Stolen from them for Paramount+
On Becoming A God In Central Florida? Covid cancelled.
Black Monday? In limbo, no news in a year, probably cancelled.

They've got the Andrew Scott starring Ripley adaptation that's done filming, plus Naomi Harris is in The Man Who Fell To Earth (but that's gonna be a risky prospect).

They need this show.

I can see why they’re desperate, but cranking the seasons out as fast as possible doesn’t really bode well for quality.

I totally forgot they have The Man Who Fell To Earth coming up. That could be cool, but it’s not really the sort of thing that’s likely to be a big hit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

I can see why they’re desperate, but cranking the seasons out as fast as possible doesn’t really bode well for quality.

I think it's entirely possible to start airing a season ten months from now, if a) that season's short, b) they star airing it without the entire season being in the can, the way Showtime did Homeland, and c) if they've already done some work plotting the show's second season (which I suspect they have, since most shows are sold this way).

I mean, most shows turn things around in a single year. The idea of year-and-a-half+ breaks between seasons is a recent, and tbh crap, development.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Podcast interview with the creators (spoilers for season finale)

https://pca.st/podcast/3d999e70-b24c-0136-7b93-27f978dac4db

Also another interview by Alan Sepinwall

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/yellowjackets-finale-season-one-explainer-showrunner-interview-1279148/

The creators come across as very smart and thoughtful

A couple things they confirm

Jackie is definitely dead.

They try to structure each “supernatural” situation as having both supernatural and non-supernatural explanations, as belief and people’s interpretations plays a large roll in the show

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 17, 2022

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Loved the finale, here's another interview with the Showrunner Jonathan Lisco
https://www.thedailybeast.com/yellowjackets-showrunner-untangles-that-wild-season-finale-and-teases-season-2?ref=scroll

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the doggo scene :ohdear:

what the heck was that room anyway

Looked like a crawl space or cold room. Common for old houses in the north east.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A coal room. A cold room was a predecessor of the fridge, kind of like a fruit cellar. Coal rooms were little rooms usually connected to the basement for storing coal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You wouldn’t have to crawl through a grating to get into the coal room though.

Edit: New theory: Taisha dug that new room and connecting tunnel while sleepwalking. Dramatic zoom on her face at the end was a red herring, she has no idea it is there.

withak fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 17, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have watched this season and really enjoyed it.

My thoughts:
-Lottie is still alive but she went into the woods to “be one with the spirits” and was never found. Everyone assumed she died but she was able to survive and started a cult in Canada.
-I think Lottie comes back to Jersey when she sees Taissa running for office (her and Taissa fight over control of the group and specifically Van)
-Misty joined her cult in the woods (as we saw at the end) but returned to the real world. However, when Lottie returns, Misty agrees to follow her again.
-Lottie wants to destroy the group that stopped her in the woods so she kills Travis to destroy Nat this season. Next season, she goes after Shauna.
-I now think the eating people is a red herring but murdering people totally happened. I expect war breaks out between the groups and it looks like Taissa’s group won.
-Jackie is dead…duh but I wish she was not. Her death is going to hit Travis weird as well as Shauna. However, I think he dynamic as a nihilist would have made for some interesting set ups between the groups.
-I kept expecting something weird to happen at the reunion like the picture of Jackie popping up with her eyes blacked out. That is the great thing about the show. It had built up this sense of craziness happening that it means you are tense and expecting something at all times. Literally, the reunion was just a boring reunion but it felt so tense the entire time.

Questions:
- I did not realize how long they had been out of school. So what happened to Shauna and Jeff’s baby from that time? Their kid is still in high school. They have not mentioned another child but she was pregnant 25 years ago.
-How long before they kill their kid since she knows about Adam disappearing? Also, kudos on that poo poo because I had totally forgotten how she knew about that.
-I really do not know whether the supernatural set up is real or if mass hysteria has taken over the wilderness group. Present day group is just a giant ball of trauma that presents itself in crazy ways (what happens when you do not see therapy ).
-Why the hell would Simone go into that dark tunnel? Also, that was loving creepy with the doll. Dogs head and heart was weird but the doll was creepier.

drat good show. Ready for more seasons of it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Questions:
- I did not realize how long they had been out of school. So what happened to Shauna and Jeff’s baby from that time? Their kid is still in high school. They have not mentioned another child but she was pregnant 25 years ago.

I have been assuming that Shauna had a miscarriage at some point. Her lack of nutrition would surely result in that happening

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The kid probably stayed in the woods with Lottie.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's entirely possible that present day "Lottie" is just Taissa's blackout personality. Keen to see where they take all of that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lottie is going Lord of the Flies and will have the clout to enforce her will.
Misty is going to be her A1 enforcer and drive a lot of the descent.
Shauna/Taissa/Nat will be swept along but coalesce into an opposition faction
They eventually turn Misty, leading to
Shauna as Antler Queen
Lottie to the pit.
Shauna has the baby
Van ends up with baby, stays in woods, founds cult
Baby raised out of spite,

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

coronatae posted:

One of the other things fueling the "Jackie's not dead" theory is the diary that Shauna leafs through while at The Worst Brunch. It has lists like "movie characters I would be" and then names characters from Titanic and Bring It On, which are outside the appropriate time frame when the diary would have been written. Still not sure if that was deliberate or just the prop department loving up.

Deadline had an interview with the creators where they confirmed that Jackie is dead, but seem to have pulled the article. (edit: the article is still available on Yahoo)

Allegedly Showtime is going to get season 2 out by the end of the year so I'm looking forward to descending into madness once again.

I want to try bear meat.

Watching Jackie try to order Shauna out of the cabin was really loving funny to me. Honestly she was already dead the minute she got called out for quoting Beaches

About the diary:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think the idea is that Shauna or someone else is probably going to write in the Journal as if Jackie were still alive as some sort of trauma coping mechanism.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

It's entirely possible that present day "Lottie" is just Taissa's blackout personality. Keen to see where they take all of that.

I was kinda thinking that. S2 sets up the cult led by Lottie, season 2 finale is Lottie dying in the wilderness.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I think the idea is that Shauna or someone else is probably going to write in the Journal as if Jackie were still alive as some sort of trauma coping mechanism.

If Shauna does this brunch every year, she might have done it for the first few years in order to connect with Jackie; as if she was telling Jackie about these things she should would have liked.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
What if the Lottie Matthews the bank lady referenced is Lottie Jr. a.k.a. Shauna and Jeff's lovechild?

Also, how in the tapdancing gently caress did Van survive that attack with the minimal amount of damage that she did? I have a really really hard time buying it considering the fact that they're in the middle of nowhere in the cabin of a dude who quite likely lived way the hell off the grid. After having her loving face torn open by filthy wolf mouths, she didn't get infected and at least lose some flesh or die?

I am honestly having a harder time with Van's miraculous healing than anything. That girl must have a constitution of like 50.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Revisiting this hot take because the season finale makes it that much funnier. It was posted around the time of episode 8.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well they're mostly right.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah, I didn't think favourably of this development. It's very L O S T, in a bad way.

Yeah I’m not confident about the show’s quality moving forward. It’s definitely going to be a victim of its own success, but I’ll probably keep watching as long as Christina Ricci is in it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

D34THROW posted:

What if the Lottie Matthews the bank lady referenced is Lottie Jr. a.k.a. Shauna and Jeff's lovechild?

Also, how in the tapdancing gently caress did Van survive that attack with the minimal amount of damage that she did? I have a really really hard time buying it considering the fact that they're in the middle of nowhere in the cabin of a dude who quite likely lived way the hell off the grid. After having her loving face torn open by filthy wolf mouths, she didn't get infected and at least lose some flesh or die?

I am honestly having a harder time with Van's miraculous healing than anything. That girl must have a constitution of like 50.

She's from Jersey.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Misty turning into The Wolf was perfect.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

D34THROW posted:

No way she survives the face eating of course. I think they just didn't have money to CG her face in every shot

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Give me a spinoff with Rekha Sharma featuring the adventures of Jessica Roberts: Fixer. I could watch her all day.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Having a hard time buying that Coach Ben would just let Jackie die right outside the cabin. Other than that I really loved this episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sock The Great posted:

Having a hard time buying that Coach Ben would just let Jackie die right outside the cabin. Other than that I really loved this episode.

Natalie and Travis are his main allies within the group, and having alienated Misty -- who's also very much against Jackie because she didn't hold her hand -- he didn't really have much power any more.

I wish we'd seen something from his or Taissa's perspective though, since they seemed to be the main voices of dissent.

I'm also surprised anyone thought Travis was coming back. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, wolves or no wolves.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Was Natalie and Travis out all night looking for Javi?

I do not remember seeing them when they found popsicle Jackie.

That also means that Javi should be a popsicle too but I do not think they are going to kill him off that easily.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sock The Great posted:

Yeah. I mean, the show made it clear that the girls don't consider him an authority anymore and there's nothing he can really do about that, but still. Even if they didn't expect the snow it seems bonkers to let her sleep out there when a drat bear wandered up the other day.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I don't know that I'd argue Ben would've/should've tried to save Jackie, especially since he's probably the only person there at the cabin who might have even wanted to. Taissa's inclined to be semi-supportive of Van, who's all the way in with Lottie's crew now, Nat/Travis presumably haven't yet returned to the group, and Ben's minus half a leg and at least as malnutritioned as the rest of them. What could he have done to save Jackie that wouldn't have ended with him even worse off than before? He's staring down the barrel of an even worse Misty situation where he's going to have to play nice with a burgeoning cult leader and her cronies in order to survive.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

SHOCKING behind-the-scenes photo reveals the identity of the "something" that's out there in the woods with them

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I really like that a lot of recent genre shows are giving us mysteries without being *about* tricking the audience, aka the Mystery Box Disease.

This isn't particularly deep, but I'm bummed out about Kevyn Tan splitting with Natalie (as he absolutely should have, being a sane and stable adult) and hope he sticks around -- she deserves something good, when she's ready. Despite remaining the biggest social outcast, Natalie has consistently been the most decent of the main characters, probably because her instinct is to gently caress herself over rather than anyone else.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Just finished this.

It was decent. I'm not really interested in theory stuff with shows, but there was enough interesting mystery and foreboding tension surrounding the wilderness period to keep the show going. The adult storylines were much weaker overall, with the exception of Misty. She's just really watchable. I hope they can focus this stuff on a central plot next season because disparate threads about how crappy their lives are didn't do much for me.

Disappointed in how Jackie ended up going out. Thought it would be a momumental event but it was just a petty argument then freezing. The mushroom episode felt like it was building up to something but then they just all sobered up.

Also didn't like that Rekha Sharma fell for Misty's cigarette trap, it was so obvious and everything about Rekha's character said she would see that coming a mile away. The woman injected chocolates with fentanyl in front of her. I have no more patience for narratively convenient stupidity in tv shows. Either don't write a situation your characters can't escape from or come up with a way they can which doesn't require character failure because it makes me not care.

Most of the characters and cast are cool. Stand out people for me are Lottie, adult Misty, Shauna (both versions), young Nat and Coach for some reason. I suppose I'm just latching on to him a bit because he's actually likeable unlike almost everyone else. I guess Jeff was also a pleasant surprise towards the end, too.

It's kind of a messy season though. I'm not dying for more, but I'll be back. Definitely better than some of the crap I've watched recently.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 17, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah. I mean, the show made it clear that the girls don't consider him an authority anymore and there's nothing he can really do about that, but still. Even if they didn't expect the snow it seems bonkers to let her sleep out there when a drat bear wandered up the other day.

I noticed Coach Ben didn't get a memorial reunion photo. Maybe he gets blamed for some poo poo then memory holed.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

Also didn't like that Rekha Sharma fell for Misty's cigarette trap, it was so obvious and everything about Rekha's character said she would see that coming a mile away. The woman injected chocolates with fentanyl in front of her. I have no more patience for narratively convenient stupidity in tv shows. Either don't write a situation your characters can't escape from or come up with a way they can which doesn't require character failure because it makes me not care.

I feel like Jessica was introduced in the first episode because it made sense that someone would be trying to squeeze a book out of the survivors. Then they really had no idea what to do with her, so they used her as someone Misty could lock in her basement just to prove that Misty is the kind of person who would do something like that. Now she's dead (?), and I guess no longer critical (was she ever?).

Truly the Nikki and Paulo of Yellowjackets.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

roomtone posted:

Disappointed in how Jackie ended up going out. Thought it would be a momumental event but it was just a petty argument then freezing.

I actually really, really liked how we were set up to expect some crazy poo poo with Shauna and Jackie, like Shauna personally butchered Jackie like she did to Adam and/or took the first bite or some poo poo. (I'm inclined to think she handled the butcher's work in general, both human and animal). Nope, she just blames herself for Jackie dying of exposure and I can't say I blame her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

roomtone posted:

It was stupid of her, but she's also been chained to a bed in a dungeon for who knows how long without any cigarettes, so it's a believable kind of stupid that she goes straight to getting her nicotine fix as soon as she can. Stress makes people do dumb and dangerous poo poo, which is exemplified by basically everyone else on the show.