Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sock The Great posted:

I feel like Jessica was introduced in the first episode because it made sense that someone would be trying to squeeze a book out of the survivors. Then they really had no idea what to do with her, so they used her as someone Misty could lock in her basement just to prove that Misty is the kind of person who would do something like that. Now she's dead (?), and I guess no longer critical (was she ever?).

Truly the Nikki and Paulo of Yellowjackets.

Wasn't Jessica explicitly a fixer hired by Taissa to make sure none of the other (known) survivors would ~spill~ about what actually happened in the mountains and gently caress up her state senate run as a result? The book deal started as a means to see if anyone would bite on a big payday, then she continued to keep an eye on Nat/etc. probably as per the terms of her arrangement with Taissa, and she ended up using it (promise of a book deal and the attention/praise to come with it) to manipulate Misty into releasing her but oops, can't out-manipulate Misty loving Quigley.

That said there probably aren't a whole lot of loose ends to tie up there aside from maybe Taissa finding out that Jessica's dead/Misty killed her and any potential fallout there but at this point if anyone knows just what each survivor is capable of, it's the other survivors. Can't imagine Taissa would be shocked to hear that Misty imprisoned Jessica and then murdered her, and her imprisonment by Misty I think isn't so much to prove Misty's capable of that - we definitely already know from the Coach Ben situation - but maybe show that Misty is still exactly who she was as a teenager in the mountains. The other three adults still wrestle with their trauma 25 years later; Misty revels in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

wizardofloneliness posted:

It was stupid of her, but she's also been chained to a bed in a dungeon for who knows how long without any cigarettes, so it's a believable kind of stupid that she goes straight to getting her nicotine fix as soon as she can. Stress makes people do dumb and dangerous poo poo, which is exemplified by basically everyone else on the show.

Ding ding ding. That criticism was brought up by someone who doesn’t know smokers.

If you actually are you a smoker, you know the real error is that Jessica waited until she got in the car, and then smoked righty in a car with no ash tray.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Starks posted:

Yeah they could have all had the same necklace or something instead of those stupid clothes. I still thought it was a cool reveal, seems like next season will have an actual antagonist.

I gotta scratch my head at some of the people saying the supernatural elements are ambiguous though. So far we’ve had:
  • exploding teddy bear
  • bear walking up to a crowd of people and letting itself get killed
  • A freshly killed deer full of maggots
  • Lottie suddenly becoming fluent in a language that she didn’t know before

There’s some ambiguity about Lottie’s visions and whatever’s going on with Taisa, but there’s been other stuff that has no rational explanation. I feel like some people won’t be convinced until we see a giant monster (hopefully not made of smoke).

Edit: a cool detail I missed the first time is that Lottie basically foresees Laura Lee’s death at the end of the baptism in episode 6 — “I saw fire and light” — which Laura Lee misinterprets as the Holy Spirit.

theres also the river of blood and the compass going nuts. I think Van is pretty clearly right when she says something doesnt want them to leave

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
They should do a season two teaser with only the pilot guy backstory

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

roomtone posted:

Just finished this.

It was decent. I'm not really interested in theory stuff with shows, but there was enough interesting mystery and foreboding tension surrounding the wilderness period to keep the show going. The adult storylines were much weaker overall, with the exception of Misty. She's just really watchable. I hope they can focus this stuff on a central plot next season because disparate threads about how crappy their lives are didn't do much for me.

Disappointed in how Jackie ended up going out. Thought it would be a momumental event but it was just a petty argument then freezing. The mushroom episode felt like it was building up to something but then they just all sobered up.

Also didn't like that Rekha Sharma fell for Misty's cigarette trap, it was so obvious and everything about Rekha's character said she would see that coming a mile away. The woman injected chocolates with fentanyl in front of her. I have no more patience for narratively convenient stupidity in tv shows. Either don't write a situation your characters can't escape from or come up with a way they can which doesn't require character failure because it makes me not care.

Agreed on the first point. The adult scenes mostly dragged down the show. I really, really dont care about Tai's political campaign for example. It does get a lot better once the 4 main characters start hanging out more tho

Disagreed on the second two. I really liked Jackie's end, it perfectly fits her arc during the whole season. I liked this bit from the creators about it:

"This was something that was in the original pitch for the show. We always knew how and when she was going to die. We had a word-for-word, scripted, and memorized pitch that we made a lot of people sit through. The final phrase was, “And as the first snow begins to fall, we end Season One.” We knew that Jackie was going to die. In the most straightforward way, our show is operating on that Lord of the Flies level. She was symbolic of society and the home that they had known, and the ways of thinking and behaving, and all of those structures."

As for PI lady falling for Mistys trap, thats her repeating her character flaw, which is underestimating Misty. She really thought she had her in the palm of her hand

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Another answer from the creators on why Jackie’s fate ended that way

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/yellowjackets-finale-spoilers-jonathan-lisco-jackie-lottie-1235155058/

“With great respect to that storyline — a little too soon to just eat Jackie at the end of Season 1. Of course, we thought of that. But is that the most compelling, riveting and emotional storyline for Shauna to carry into 2021? And the answer was no. The most emotional storyline, which is always what I’m looking for specifically, is that these two friends who loved each other — like really loved each other, but also had all these simmering resentments — have this major blowout, full of truthful things that were said to one another. And then through sheer obstinance, like absolute stubbornness, neither one could offer an olive branch to the other. And because of that, a tragic accident occurs. That’s baggage. That’s something to carry into 2021 that Shauna will have to live with forever.”

Answers like this is why I trust the creators

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Answers like this is why I trust the creators

on the other hand, they said they didn’t expect fans to be screenshooting journal entries for examination so…

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
cheating on jeff sucks though given the circumstances it's forgivable, but hating on randy? dude just wants everyone to have a good time.

starting to think shauna isn't a good person.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

she does mention that randy is a really good friend

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't mind it going full supernatural, honestly, so long as it's kept low to the ground. The cult stuff reminds me more of Leftovers than Lost - trauma survivor turns to cult-like behaviour and basically invents her own religion. That show also had a character that could "predict the future" like Lottie. I know they've said they want to keep it ambiguous, but if they wanna ramp this up I'd rather they give her actual ESP than making schizophrenia a weird superpower.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ding ding ding. That criticism was brought up by someone who doesn’t know smokers.

If you actually are you a smoker, you know the real error is that Jessica waited until she got in the car, and then smoked righty in a car with no ash tray.

I smoked for years. Being deprived of cigarettes for a while doesn't make you lose the ability to think, all cliches aside. If they hadn't made a big deal of Misty fishing the pack out of the bin for her, etc, then I can see her absent-mindedly having a cigarette right there. There's just no way a person like Jessica, or really anybody, wouldn't think 'nope, not smoking something Misty's been loving with, i can wait literally 5 minutes until I get to a gas station'.

They even do a flashback cut to Misty doing the actual injecting afterwards. It's not just the falling for the trap, it's how obviously it was laid in story and edited for us. It's so clunky.

babypolis posted:

Disagreed on the second two. I really liked Jackie's end, it perfectly fits her arc during the whole season. I liked this bit from the creators about it:

"This was something that was in the original pitch for the show. We always knew how and when she was going to die. We had a word-for-word, scripted, and memorized pitch that we made a lot of people sit through. The final phrase was, “And as the first snow begins to fall, we end Season One.” We knew that Jackie was going to die. In the most straightforward way, our show is operating on that Lord of the Flies level. She was symbolic of society and the home that they had known, and the ways of thinking and behaving, and all of those structures."

Yeah, fair enough. I didn't hate it, just wanted something more exciting to watch. I said I was disappointed but I realised why it was - there wasn't really a climatic event in the finale which I was unconsciously expecting. Jackie's death being a subdued accidental thing didn't hit me here because we knew she 90% died the question was how, and dramatically speaking it was an anticlimax, but in terms of the story I can see where the writers are coming from.

I was never expecting them to eat her. I wasn't even expecting her to die at this point.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 18, 2022

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

babypolis posted:

Agreed on the first point. The adult scenes mostly dragged down the show. I really, really dont care about Tai's political campaign for example. It does get a lot better once the 4 main characters start hanging out more tho

As for PI lady falling for Mistys trap, thats her repeating her character flaw, which is underestimating Misty. She really thought she had her in the palm of her hand

I don’t think that this show is specifically well made or anything, but I just didn’t see Jackie ever being an avatar of civilization or society. Their home, perhaps, but she wasn’t well liked by most of the girls.

In LOTF the death of Piggy works because while he is unpopular, he’s also the most vulnerable person in the group. Society is built on order, as is he. Maybe Jackie works as a representation of the social order of high school specifically, but I don’t think they’ve established all the connections they would have liked.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m just saying I’d have lit that boge right on the porch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

roomtone posted:

I smoked for years. Being deprived of cigarettes for a while doesn't make you lose the ability to think, all cliches aside. If they hadn't made a big deal of Misty fishing the pack out of the bin for her, etc, then I can see her absent-mindedly having a cigarette right there. There's just no way a person like Jessica, or really anybody, wouldn't think 'nope, not smoking something Misty's been loving with, i can wait literally 5 minutes until I get to a gas station'.

They even do a flashback cut to Misty doing the actual injecting afterwards. It's not just the falling for the trap, it's how obviously it was laid in story and edited for us. It's so clunky.

I don’t know why she would expect that when Misty could have killed her any time and didn’t. Considering the character as presented I definitely think she thinks very highly of her own skills and thought she got one over on Misty by convincing her to let her go.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

I don’t think that this show is specifically well made or anything, but I just didn’t see Jackie ever being an avatar of civilization or society. Their home, perhaps, but she wasn’t well liked by most of the girls.

In LOTF the death of Piggy works because while he is unpopular, he’s also the most vulnerable person in the group. Society is built on order, as is he. Maybe Jackie works as a representation of the social order of high school specifically, but I don’t think they’ve established all the connections they would have liked.

Huh, I read Jackie as someone who's survival skills were entirely based around her ability to navigate highschool politics -- she's a peak peaked-in-highschool type -- so in my case the authors' read felt fairly natural to me.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

D34THROW posted:

I actually really, really liked how we were set up to expect some crazy poo poo with Shauna and Jackie, like Shauna personally butchered Jackie like she did to Adam and/or took the first bite or some poo poo. (I'm inclined to think she handled the butcher's work in general, both human and animal). Nope, she just blames herself for Jackie dying of exposure and I can't say I blame her.

Yeah that was probably my favourite part of the season finale, we were probably overdue some basic survival deaths anyway

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Starks posted:

Yeah they could have all had the same necklace or something instead of those stupid clothes. I still thought it was a cool reveal, seems like next season will have an actual antagonist.

I gotta scratch my head at some of the people saying the supernatural elements are ambiguous though. So far we’ve had:
  • exploding teddy bear

There’s some ambiguity about Lottie’s visions and whatever’s going on with Taisa, but there’s been other stuff that has no rational explanation. I feel like some people won’t be convinced until we see a giant monster (hopefully not made of smoke).

Edit: a cool detail I missed the first time is that Lottie basically foresees Laura Lee’s death at the end of the baptism in episode 6 — “I saw fire and light” — which Laura Lee misinterprets as the Holy Spirit.

There was also the flashback to the child that screamed in the car and made the parents avoid a crash

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CODChimera posted:

There was also the flashback to the child that screamed in the car and made the parents avoid a crash

I left out stuff that you could chalk up to coincidence, regardless of how unlikely, which is most of lotties visions. But I do think it’s supposed to be obvious to the audience that she has some kind of power.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe Jackie works as a representation of the social order of high school specifically, but I don’t think they’ve established all the connections they would have liked.

It's this. She represents everything that seems like a big deal in high school that ends up not mattering. She's never able to get over her former queen bee status and adapt to their situation. I think the connections were established just fine.

-Ep 2: When Van offers up Jackie's bottle of Sea Breeze to disinfect Coach Scott's leg, Jackie's first instinct is to say "hey that's mi[ne]"

-Ep 3: Clearly threatened when Tai shows better leadership by suggesting they hike to the lake. And then the vote clinched it. Whatever influence she had as team captain isn't going to matter to the rest of them when survival is on the line.

-Ep 4: Also threatened when Tai does ok at the rifle test, she saunters up with the attitude that she's going to be naturally amazing at using a firearm and is disappointed when she immediately fumbles

-also Ep 4: Awkwardly tries to get assurance from Van that they're even since she pushed Van out of the Cessna's way

-Ep 5: The entire reason the hosed up seance happens is because Shauna calls her out on being so useless that other people are noticing and getting pissed off at her

-Ep 6: Talks mad poo poo over Nat's campaign for Mayor of Pound Town. Turns it into personal insults about Nat's reputation as an easy gal (tbf Tai also did this in episode 1 but that was...The Before Times)

-Ep 7: Reads her best friend's diary

-Ep 8: Talks more mad poo poo about Nat, this time behind her back, outs Shauna's pregnancy

-Ep 9: Travis, sniping at Shauna over Rutgers and Jeff

-Ep 10: Reveals Shauna's baby daddy, clearly expecting the others to give a poo poo and turn on Shauna when they're on the edge of winter and primarily concerned with survival. Her trying to order Shauna out of the cabin like it's her own house is hilarious.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Starks posted:

• exploding teddy bear

Exploding bear is explained by the old plane that hasn't been maintained in years, maybe oil on the seat.

Bear walking up to people after it ate their leftover mushrooms.

Deer full of maggots. Could happen, I've caught live fish full of worms and parasites before.

Lottie speaking another language could be from brain trauma. There have been cases where people speak other languages fluently after having been in comas from brain injuries.

My theory is that there is a Wendigo spirit loving with them.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
We haven't seen Lottie speaking French nearly enough to say that she's "fluent". We know that she studied French in school, so she would know some.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Exploding bear is explained by the old plane that hasn't been maintained in years, maybe oil on the seat.

I would pay serious money to see you spell out the specifics of how planes create oil when not maintained, like part of upkeep is swabbing off the oil they naturally extrude.

quote:

Lottie speaking another language could be from brain trauma. There have been cases where people speak other languages fluently after having been in comas from brain injuries.

I've been rolling high on the poo poo-posting for a while, but serious chat : this isn't even a little bit true and is a really specific but persistent urban myth that causes a lot of totally unnecessary pain to people with damage to the parts of the brain that govern language because it treats something very complex and fundamental about the human experience, language, like it's a magic switch in your head that can be turned on and off with a bonk.

It's based on garbled bits of actual events like bilinguals who have a stroke and lose one of their languages but not the other, which is an intensely harrowing experience because it means giant chunks of their lives aren't even gone but rendered a weird, ghost-like other that they can never be apart of cause they can't communicate with e.g. their family or their spouse or their entire professional life anymore.

It's a really difficult problem and the research into treating it is disproportionately small because of reductive views like this making people assume language is much more of a solved problem than it is, when it's actually really complex, fragmentary and mysterious even by the standards of neuroscience. Imagine if the people funding medical research thought heart attacks were made up for TV, it's really that bad.

quote:

But this I'm down to clown with.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh what a frustrating show. the flashbacks were good, the present-day gang doin' crimes was good, but i didn't like present-day tai's plot at all. cult at the end gives me bad vibes for season 2. past misty and future misty are both the best parts of the show. get that coach, girl

ricci's expression when they asked her to cut up a body was the best part of the season. gory dreams and hallucinations were the worst part

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I would pay serious money to see you spell out the specifics of how planes create oil when not maintained, like part of upkeep is swabbing off the oil they naturally extrude.

wouldn't the fuel have gone bad and inert in just a couple years

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Probably. There are fuel tanks and lines in the wings so hypothetically some fuel could leak on the bear. Of course then there's nothing to ignite it because that plane is as basic as Jackie.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

In the seance scene, there is another girl - I think Jackie - who says she was in Lottie's french class. She says that she didn't remember Lottie being good at french which is the only reason Lottie speaking french reads as supernatural. But also that hardly means anything at all, since it would be easy for Lottie to be better at it than a classmate realized, or remembered. It doesn't come out of nowhere.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

The only things I can't think of a decent explanation for are the bear lighting on fire and the bear walking up to them. I guess maybe some "hallucination" or something laura lee had who didnt notice the plane smoking til the bear was on fire or sabotage by Misty?

I think the red river will be because of a very iron rich mine/mountain near by which would throw off the compass as well as give us another spooky locale for the group.

I also think Lottie probably knows french. Her rich parents had her learn it as a child and she was rebelling against them in high school by sucking at it.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Man, I did not read the Laura Lee scene as the bear causing the fire at all. I assumed the wiring or electrical systems had degraded, and the subsequent fire came up through the seat.

I'm not opposed to the show going into the occult, I just think it everything has been pretty ambiguous so far.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
This is probably nothing, but feel like there is some small hat tip between being from Wiskayok and the legends of Whiskey Jack, and maybe the setting is old Cree territory.

http://www.native-languages.org/wisakejak.htm

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Fried Watermelon posted:

Wen...wendigo ate her baby!

Jackie is a horrible person who's way too used to being the Regina George of that high school. Thinking about it, it almost feels like we were set up to almost want her to be the first victim of cannibalism because she grew more and more loving insufferable as the series went on.

Did anyone else think Allie was gonna demand the first dance with Jeff as some weird proxy thing?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Jackie was also the only one who thought it was weird that they had an attempted orgy/murder and wanted to talk about it. yeah, she's the popular girl, but she's also the only connection to reality they have left (other than nat/travis)

to me, she was the most relatable/likable. maybe I'm a bitch too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Interesting to see that Eduardo Sanchez (The Blair Witch Project) directed the finale.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Jackie wasn't a horrible person, she was a teenage girl making teenage girl mistakes. She did some lovely things, she also did some good things and was at times a voice of reason. And some of the worst things she does are basically directly caused by her best friend loving her boyfriend

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Jackie wasn't a horrible person, she was a teenage girl making teenage girl mistakes.

:agreed: She's not a horrible person except in the way that all teenagers are horrible people. She sucks for remaining focused on petty stuff and refusing to pitch in, but I can't say it's out of the bounds of normal teenage behavior.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I think her behaviour towards the end was getting worse. She was setting out to hurt Shauna as revenge and also Natalie who never did anything to her, using Travis as a tool for that regardless of the fact he'd obviously regret it. Not pitching in and being generally selfish, okay, but they really didn't give you any reasons to root for her at any point.

Her little nihilistic speech before having sex with Travis is a melodramatic response to being cheated on, but it tells you where her mind goes. Her fantasy reunion before dying also was just about everyone saying how much they loved her, not her apologising or making up for her behaviour since the crash.

I just don't think there was much good in her, regardless of teenage viciousness.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jackie’s real mistake was in thinking anyone still cared about high school poo poo. Coach was kind of similar in thinking that he’s still an authority even though he’s completely dependent on the girls. Yeah, Jackie’s an annoying popular girl, but saying stuff like there isn’t any good in her or she was always going to peak in high school anyway is bizarrely harsh towards a kid who’s trapped in some insane survival situation. She wasn’t the one trying to sacrifice Travis to the wood gods. Hell, Taissa intentionally crippled a teammate and that was before all this poo poo happened.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

ugh what a frustrating show. the flashbacks were good, the present-day gang doin' crimes was good, but i didn't like present-day tai's plot at all. cult at the end gives me bad vibes for season 2. past misty and future misty are both the best parts of the show. get that coach, girl

ricci's expression when they asked her to cut up a body was the best part of the season. gory dreams and hallucinations were the worst part

older tais plot seemed a lot more interesting in the first episode when they were setting her up as a sociopathic villain. then it swerves pretty quickly and it turns out you are supposed to actually care about "queer Kamala" (uuuuuuugggghhhhh)

I thought it was pretty well set up. All the qualities that make Jackie a good leader for the team (pretty, charming, popular) are completely meaningless in the wilderness. When push comes to shove she just fucks up over and over and fails miserably at adapting to her new circumstances. When Lottie tells her that "she doesnt matter anymore" its completely true. Out there she was the queen bee, in the wilds she has absolutely nothing to offer to anyone

I dont think she was that bad either. shes the nicest one when they are all having normal highschool lives. she just doesnt perform well in a survival situation

babypolis fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 18, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finale was a fun watch with some surprises, but it's my least favorite type of TV finale where it basically resolves nothing and ends on a bunch of cliffhangers.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

II just don't think there was much good in her, regardless of teenage viciousness.

She found out her best friend cheated with her boyfriend and was then locked in a closet by a bunch of raving lunatics who then proceed to bound and rape a teenage boy, only to escape and literally see them about to crucify said boy at knifepoint and she's the one that's the rear end in a top hat and needs to leave the house?

It's pretty insane how crazy the story is, but if you close your eyes and listen to the final argument it sounds super grounded and hyper realistic. That's one thing the show has nailed, highlighting how vicious teenage girls can be with their words and social politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
The bear was acting weird because it ate shroom-tainted meat (Javi).

Wait no, the bear was actually Javi transformed.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the show. Good tension and mystery. Good casting. A bit cheesy. I am enjoying all the weird theories 🙂