Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

The gently caress is KR?

I meant Christina Ricci. Goddamn K instead of a C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

LionArcher posted:

I meant Christina Ricci. Goddamn K instead of a C.

I'm not singling you out, but I swear to god every time someone comes into this thread they immediately get a bunch of the name's wrong and it drives me up the wall. There aren't that many characters! How is this hard? I'm terrible at remembering names and I got this down without trying and I watch most of the show on drugs! Plus, imdb is a thing that exists!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Everyone consistently spelling Tai as Tia has driven me mad.

Also I forgot I had this saved. The creators have since confirmed that yes, she really is dead.

It's the "she looks older" that really makes this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh right, I forgot to share my appreciation for all the links and screenshots of wingnut theories. Was fun reading through them after finishing the season. Thanks!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I liked the one that the opening is not a flashback, it's a flash forward, the girl is Shauna's brat and the cult will eat her in the woods. It ends with an actual flashback of Misty to confuse viewers.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Kuiperdolin posted:

I liked the one that the opening is not a flashback, it's a flash forward, the girl is Shauna's brat and the cult will eat her in the woods. It ends with an actual flashback of Misty to confuse viewers.

:hmmyes: I actually really like this theory.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, again, when Arrow freaking had Ollie secretly taken OUT of the island and then put BACK, all bets were off in terms of dumb flashback twists.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Maybe supernatural stuff is happening, maybe it isn't,

After Jackie's final vision of the guy welcoming her it pretty clearly is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

A person hallucinating while freezing to death is not confirmation of the supernatural, it's exactly the kind of ambiguity they're going for. And honestly the way they cut to Shauna made it look like Jackie may not have been the one having that vision in the first place.

The most explicitly supernatural thing we've seen is the eyeless man.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Alhazred posted:

That guy is meant to be the dead French Canadian aviator / woodsman, I thought. I could be wrong. Seemed as ambiguous as any other scene like it in the show. What about it made you feel otherwise?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Oh right, I forgot to share my appreciation for all the links and screenshots of wingnut theories. Was fun reading through them after finishing the season. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed them :) I am looking forward to the insane theories season 2 will bring us. The subreddit has quieted considerably and I have the facebook group on mute because the mods don't want anyone being rude to newcomers who are now flooding the page with their hot takes and the constant refrain of "am I the only one who noticed [xyz]???"

I made this meme but I don't want to be banned from the facebook page

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

eighty-four merc posted:

That guy is meant to be the dead French Canadian aviator / woodsman, I thought. I could be wrong. Seemed as ambiguous as any other scene like it in the show. What about it made you feel otherwise?

He's the one thing that's out of place in her hallucination. He only really makes sense as a supernatural incursion. Right now there's more signs towards a supernatural explanation than anything else.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Alhazred posted:

He's the one thing that's out of place in her hallucination. He only really makes sense as a supernatural incursion. Right now there's more signs towards a supernatural explanation than anything else.

I don't necessarily disagree, but you could easily argue that Jackie was hallucinating what she imagined the cabin guy looked like. And because it's Jackie of course he's hot.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Or it's Shauna dreaming about the Frenchman

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Teen Shauna feels guilty about Jackie's death by exposure. She starts having vivid dreams of Jackie dying in other, terrible ways of which she is the cause. The opening scene with the girl falling in the spike pit is one of those dreams. What bothers her most is that Dream Shauna feels no remorse for killing Dream Jackie.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Whenever there is something unexplainable, it's always best to assume a wizard did it. Haven't y'all ever seen Star Trek?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

clown shoes posted:

Whenever there is something unexplainable, it's always best to assume a wizard did it. Haven't y'all ever read Discworld?

:colbert:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

clown shoes posted:

Whenever there is something unexplainable, it's always best to assume a wizard did it. Haven't y'all ever seen Star Trek?

well if wizards are involved then that should put to rest the argument of weather or not there's supernatural elements

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Big Taint posted:

Teen Shauna feels guilty about Jackie's death by exposure. She starts having vivid dreams of Jackie dying in other, terrible ways of which she is the cause. The opening scene with the girl falling in the spike pit is one of those dreams. What bothers her most is that Dream Shauna feels no remorse for killing Dream Jackie.
This seems very reasonable

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

This seems very reasonable

It doesn't though? It's obivous that the vision of Jackie dying is the last thoughts the bear have before Lottie stabs him in the head.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

CODChimera posted:

well if wizards are involved then that should put to rest the argument of weather or not there's supernatural elements

Could be a bad wizard.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alhazred posted:

I don't have a set opinion, because I think the ambiguity is the point, but I don't see how anything in a hallucination and/or dream confirms that the supernatural exists no matter how weird.

Maybe the random cabin man is the ghost of the dead pilot, or he's Jackie's orthodontist she had a crush on in 6th grade, or he's a TV detective Shauna watches. Clearly, the show is expecting you to read cosmic significance into his presence, but also you could still explain it as a random thing some character's subconscious populated into a vision because we have no information. This show likes operating in that space; the line between supernatural phenomena and (often drug or trauma-fueled) hallucinations are purposefully blurred.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

When I was in the hospital for surgery I had an extended hallucination about being a pirate.

This did not lead me to conclude that the transplant ward was haunted, nor that it had a history of swashbuckling adventure. Hallucinations happen all the time without requiring wizards or goblins.

Are most occurrences in your daily lives unexplainably mysteries to you people?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

When I was in the hospital for surgery I had an extended hallucination about being a pirate.

This did not lead me to conclude that the transplant ward was haunted, nor that it had a history of swashbuckling adventure. Hallucinations happen all the time without requiring wizards or goblins.

Tides come in, tides go out, you can't explain that

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

There's a different between real life hallucinations and fictional ones. In real life they are random, but in fiction they usually have some deeper meaning.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alhazred posted:

There's a different between real life hallucinations and fictional ones. In real life they are random, but in fiction they usually have some deeper meaning.

While I agree with this, I don't know if it means anything in this case.

Your post reminds me of how much I think psychics are completely and total unscrupulous bullshit liars, and in fictional media, I believe every single goddamned word they say.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The point is that people are jumping from “I can not immediately explain a phenomenon” to “it obviously must be witchcraft” without any middle step. This is ridiculous. It’s ridiculous in a very human way, one that’s mirroring the fiction, but it’s still miles away from how reality works.

There’s weird poo poo in the show, but people are ignoring pretty basic world knowledge to justify the assumption that there must be magic in the show. Just look at the people ITT who forgot how fire works. Or pregnancy. Or brains.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how many elderly patients Misty has killed

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got to be in the dozens, it'd be like one of those articles that come out every few years about a nurse accused of killing like 56 patients

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You never kill just one...

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
stuck in quarantine again and i'm getting high and i am binging this show, station eleven and archive 81 and it is not confusing at all. AMA

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My partner has made me a YellowJackets x Air Bud: World Pup zine for Valentines day and I can't stop picturing how great that title sequence would be.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

A take so hot it scorched the flesh from my skull

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

coronatae posted:

A take so hot it scorched the flesh from my skull

God Lottie, take your (non existant) medication instead of using that as an excuse.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I mean, I'd like to think if I regularly took antipsychotics and was thrust into a stressful situation where I couldn't access them my first act would be to explain to my friends/potential caregivers that there's a chance I go full fruit loops. A talk like that might impede my dramatic rise to prophetic cult leader, sure, but unless I've pre-read the script to know that's how it's going to manifest I don't know if I'd take that risk.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I think you're underestimating how much worse the stigma that surrounded psychiatric illness was in the 90's

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

coronatae posted:

I think you're underestimating how much worse the stigma that surrounded psychiatric illness was in the 90's

Actually, the one thing that rings untrue for me in the series is how accepting everyone is of homosexuality. I went to a highschool of about 1500 kids in the 1990s and not a single person felt safe enough to be "out" in the entire school, except for one female teacher who a lot of people regarded warily. We've progressed a long way since 1996 in that area. (Granted: small Canadian city school, not a major centre of progressive thought.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How much of that is them being a group of female athletes? Out lesbians in sports have been commonplace for much longer than gay male athletes, but I am also too young to remember the mid-90s with any cognizance of that kind of thing.

Also it’s more believable for some characters than others. Nat identifies with outsiders. Laura Lee died before learning about anyone being gay. Jackie seems like she’d be a Mean Girl about it.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 15, 2022

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also it’s more believable for some characters than others. Nat identifies with outsiders. Laura Lee died before learning about anyone being gay. Jackie seems like she’d be a Mean Girl about it.

Yes, exactly. These are teenagers from a middle class suburb in 90's NJ, so I doubt any of them would be scandalized (Laura Lee excluded), but they'd absolutely be dicks about it. Jackie being a passive-aggressive mean girl seems very possible. Ben would probably face condescension, but Taissa and Van would probably face a ton of gay panic. Being a girls soccer team who shares a locker room, etc.

Also, Nat being unusually tolerant for the era makes sense. As you say, she already feels like an outsider, and has a clear resentment for all kinds of norms. I don't question that she'd have progressive queer attitudes in the mid-90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Pixelante posted:

Actually, the one thing that rings untrue for me in the series is how accepting everyone is of homosexuality. I went to a highschool of about 1500 kids in the 1990s and not a single person felt safe enough to be "out" in the entire school, except for one female teacher who a lot of people regarded warily. We've progressed a long way since 1996 in that area. (Granted: small Canadian city school, not a major centre of progressive thought.)

I agree that this is a weak point of the show! I wish they'd taken some time to explore this in the context of it being 1996. As it stands, this is the most generous interpretation I can give: they're having this party to make peace with their impending death by starvation, what's a little canoodling between teammates.

It is really weird to see younger audiences' takes on this show because they have no sense of what the 90's were actually like.