Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Jackie’s real mistake was in thinking anyone still cared about high school poo poo. Coach was kind of similar in thinking that he’s still an authority even though he’s completely dependent on the girls. Yeah, Jackie’s an annoying popular girl, but saying stuff like there isn’t any good in her or she was always going to peak in high school anyway is bizarrely harsh towards a kid who’s trapped in some insane survival situation. She wasn’t the one trying to sacrifice Travis to the wood gods. Hell, Taissa intentionally crippled a teammate and that was before all this poo poo happened.

Yes, I viewed it as more of a "loss of innocence" kind of thing. Jackie persisted in the same value system she had in normal life, caught up in personal relationship drama or youth milestones like "losing her virginity" or "going to homecoming." I don't think it's fair to say she peaked in high school or was developmentally arrested, since she was 17. But also, her death works as a thematic end to their old lives.

This season, the social dynamic among the survivors persisted in a kind of half-normalcy, where they're dealing with horrifying survival poo poo but also with "do u like me?" anxiety and "I'm the team captain!" slap-fights. Everything was different and yet nothing was, as they fought over boys and talked about college plans. But suddenly, when Jackie the Queen Bee tries to flex her authority, it totally fails. Then, when she decides to act out and punish Shauna by sleeping outside...she literally dies of exposure.

Jackie's death (and the context of it, as a harsh repercussion for behaving like she was at a sleepover) push the group dynamic into a way more brutal and somber place, which clearly had to happen to justify what we know is coming.

i say swears online posted:

wouldn't the fuel have gone bad and inert in just a couple years

It would. Writers love to ignore this bit of reality, finding old abandoned cars and poo poo and being able to drive them. Gasoline degrades within several months; those Dharma Initiative vans or old Jurassic Park jeeps aren't going anywhere. Walking Dead has people driving around *years* after society crumbled, and not a single ICE vehicle is going to combust poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It's also completely understandable how Jackie treated Shauna after finding out who the real baby daddy was. Of course she's pissed that her supposedly best friend has been screwing her boyfriend behind her back and then lying about it for months. Being a bitch towards Shauna about it is not much of a black mark against her imo. Obviously, no one else is going to care and they aren't suddenly going to be anti-Shauna because Jackie says so.

Anyway, do you all still think Adam was Javi or was he actually just an obsessed fanboy? They did have a cut from everyone standing around Adam's body wondering who he was to Travis yelling for Javi. There was a photo of Javi in the memorial case at the reunion, so I guess he's presumed dead, but we already know there's more survivors than we initially thought. Based on the news broadcast, he did have friends and family who noticed his absence.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 19, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm less irked at the Bear surrendering itself and have more issues with it dying instantly to one stab from 4 inch blade.

C'mon, bears are loving indestructible.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm less irked at the Bear surrendering itself and have more issues with it dying instantly to one stab from 4 inch blade.

C'mon, bears are loving indestructible.

The chick executed a perfect Hunter's Stab, which adds a +100 damage bonus.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I would pay serious money to see you spell out the specifics of how planes create oil when not maintained, like part of upkeep is swabbing off the oil they naturally extrude.

I've been rolling high on the poo poo-posting for a while, but serious chat : this isn't even a little bit true and is a really specific but persistent urban myth that causes a lot of totally unnecessary pain to people with damage to the parts of the brain that govern language because it treats something very complex and fundamental about the human experience, language, like it's a magic switch in your head that can be turned on and off with a bonk.

It's based on garbled bits of actual events like bilinguals who have a stroke and lose one of their languages but not the other, which is an intensely harrowing experience because it means giant chunks of their lives aren't even gone but rendered a weird, ghost-like other that they can never be apart of cause they can't communicate with e.g. their family or their spouse or their entire professional life anymore.

It's a really difficult problem and the research into treating it is disproportionately small because of reductive views like this making people assume language is much more of a solved problem than it is, when it's actually really complex, fragmentary and mysterious even by the standards of neuroscience. Imagine if the people funding medical research thought heart attacks were made up for TV, it's really that bad.

But this I'm down to clown with.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply it was an entire new language that they never spoke before. I recall reading this article about a teen who knew a little Spanish and then spoke it fluently after a trauma.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/24/health/teen-spanish-new-language-trnd/index.html

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

roomtone posted:

Just finished this.

It was decent. I'm not really interested in theory stuff with shows, but there was enough interesting mystery and foreboding tension surrounding the wilderness period to keep the show going. The adult storylines were much weaker overall, with the exception of Misty. She's just really watchable. I hope they can focus this stuff on a central plot next season because disparate threads about how crappy their lives are didn't do much for me.

idk, as much as the adult storylines aren't as exciting as the kid storylines, they're useful and good--the whole time split framing of trauma and its effects is interesting, even if the effects storyline isn't as immediately compelling as desperate wilderness survival. Shauna casually butchering a wild rabbit for family dinner ep1 was good poo poo.

quote:

Disappointed in how Jackie ended up going out. Thought it would be a momumental event but it was just a petty argument then freezing. The mushroom episode felt like it was building up to something but then they just all sobered up.

i liked this though, insofar as it's reinforcing what i hope is a non-supernatual version of the story: the wilderness is brutal and your stupid human pride will kill you dead without a care. the show has done well so far to shove anything slightly supernatural beyond natural phenomena, between Lotte's schizophrenia and the shroom episode. they both tie into the full on depraved crazytown antler queen feast from ep1, but neither is full-on "a wizard forest ghost did it" yet, just normal(ish) stuff exacerbated by being stuck in the woods with no food or hope of rescue.

cultist kidnapping ending of s1 makes me think writers have exhausted what they can do with plain ol' Lord of the Flies humans are barbaric stuff, at least to an extent, but if nothing else s1 did good with creepy humanity-only horror

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I appreciated the music selection at the class reunion. The DJ knew what he was doing.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/sammihanratty/status/1482956879638659074?s=20

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Who else is pissed off this is obviously in BC and not Ontario?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you go back to page like 2 or whatever you'll find me so flabbergasted I accidentally edited my own brain into thinking it was BC the whole time, and I know jack poo poo about Canada. It's bullshit of the highest order and I know absolutely nothing about Canada.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to imply it was an entire new language that they never spoke before. I recall reading this article about a teen who knew a little Spanish and then spoke it fluently after a trauma.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/24/health/teen-spanish-new-language-trnd/index.html

Yeah, I know that story. It's really bad reporting and so are the others it's referencing. It's one of those pop "science" urban myth things that just refuses to die. You can find stuff like that, but if you trace it back further it dissolves into cracked.com levels of scholarship. It's like the silly "you only use 10% of your brain" except no one watches Lucy and decides they don't need to fun neurology departments cause we got that on lock.

We cool and I got no beef with you, it's just a really prolific myth that causes severe real world harm and it's a pretty big bugbear for me so I just call it out whenever I see it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait...

(Plot twist music rises as a rapid montage recontextualises earlier elements)

A new take on a classic novel
Northern Ontario wilds
Isolation
The disturbing awakening of female sexuality
A BEAR

...they aren't actually adapting Lord of the Flies are they?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yellowjackets/LetterKenny crossover when?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Fried Watermelon posted:

I spent a lot of time as a kid in the wilds of Ontario trekking and canoeing and portaging and the whole nine yards, and it's... the forest is wrong. It's the wrong kind of forest. The land looks wrong. I don't really know how to explain why it looks wrong but for the Americans it's like you shot something in Maine and tell people it's Wisconsin.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

...they aren't actually adapting Lord of the Flies are they?

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but if you're not joking then the clue is in the title of the show.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

angerbeet posted:

I spent a lot of time as a kid in the wilds of Ontario trekking and canoeing and portaging and the whole nine yards, and it's... the forest is wrong. It's the wrong kind of forest. The land looks wrong. I don't really know how to explain why it looks wrong but for the Americans it's like you shot something in Maine and tell people it's Wisconsin.

in my incredibly valid reasoning as a guy who dropped out of forestry school in BC after two years, it looks like they filmed the wilderness in a temperate rainforest, and not the Canadian Shield. you wouldn't see trees that size/that kind of biodiversity east of the rockies. it's more like filming in Seattle/Puget Sound and then telling people it's i dunno... let's go with Wisconsin again.

on the other hand it's a TV show and I'm very willing to suspend disbelief for a good story.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

angerbeet posted:

Nah, I think that's a pretty common feeling if you know a place pretty well. You might not know much about ecology or botany or whatever but you can look at a scene that takes place in a biome you're familiar with but was shot somewhere else and spot it right away.

I have it really strong with the Michael Mann Last of the Mohicans. Which is a great movie and I love it, but the story takes place where I grew up hiking and camping so there's a part of me always going "Lol no we don't have mountains like that, that's not what our specific species of laurels looks like, the trees are all wrong".

Or my personal favorite : the opening credits of Sleepy Hollow have them going from New York to Sleepy Hollow on the wrong side of the river the whole time. Which doesn't matter even a little bit for the plot, but that river is annoying as poo poo to cross so it's a constant minor thing that everyone in the river valley is always aware of, so we notice it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
where did they say it was supposed to be in ontario, again?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The Deep Woods of To Ro N’To.

(I don’t think they did but I might have just been a derp.)

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

IIRC a bunch of the original promo stuff said Ontario but I think later stuff has changed it to say the Canadian Rockies. Kind of like how they changed "warring, cannibalistic clans" to "warring, savage clans" in the Showtime description

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I thought it was supposed to be Quebec because all the stuff in the cabin was French.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I shouldn't have watched Station Eleven before this, because I couldn't help constantly comparing how both shows did their "decades-apart flashback/timelines" thing. And the frequent needle drops. Made Yellowjackets seem unfairly worse.

I do appreciate the care they put in to keeping everything plausibly (un-)supernatural. Like was young Lottie's screaming to avert a car crash something special, or just the one time out of a thousand that something useful happened while she had a lil scream session?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Xealot posted:

It would. Writers love to ignore this bit of reality, finding old abandoned cars and poo poo and being able to drive them. Gasoline degrades within several months; those Dharma Initiative vans or old Jurassic Park jeeps aren't going anywhere. Walking Dead has people driving around *years* after society crumbled, and not a single ICE vehicle is going to combust poo poo.

someone's never heard of STA-BIL

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Xealot posted:

To be fair, gasoline going bad after just a few months is also somewhat of an urban/internet legend/exaggeration. It really depends. I've personally started a carbureted engine with 2+ years old E10 fuel(with no stabilizer) in the tank and the engine ran very well.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I rewatched the bear combusting scene and it really is just insane. The bear bursts into flames, Laura looks at it in disbelief and confusion, the plane continues flying and sounding the same until it explodes outta nowhere

Have production commented on it? it's like the single thing I want to know

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

coronatae posted:

IIRC a bunch of the original promo stuff said Ontario but I think later stuff has changed it to say the Canadian Rockies. Kind of like how they changed "warring, cannibalistic clans" to "warring, savage clans" in the Showtime description

It's so weird because in the pilot you can hear the flight crew saying basically "we will be diverting to the north because of some storms. You'll get some great views of the Canadian Rockies." I wonder if there was just a marketing mistake in the promos?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah, I think that's a pretty common feeling if you know a place pretty well. You might not know much about ecology or botany or whatever but you can look at a scene that takes place in a biome you're familiar with but was shot somewhere else and spot it right away.

I have it really strong with the Michael Mann Last of the Mohicans. Which is a great movie and I love it, but the story takes place where I grew up hiking and camping so there's a part of me always going "Lol no we don't have mountains like that, that's not what our specific species of laurels looks like, the trees are all wrong".

Or my personal favorite : the opening credits of Sleepy Hollow have them going from New York to Sleepy Hollow on the wrong side of the river the whole time. Which doesn't matter even a little bit for the plot, but that river is annoying as poo poo to cross so it's a constant minor thing that everyone in the river valley is always aware of, so we notice it.

Being super familiar with an area really primes you for getting real mad when a tv show/movie gets it wrong. I lost my mind for a hot minute at an episode of Grey's Anatomy because the characters said "We're driving from Tacoma to Seattle" but they were inexplicably on a two-lane road on the side of a mountain with no cell phone reception. I've done that drive 100+ times and even in the middle of Friday rush hour traffic, you're gonna be on a major interstate.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, I just binged season 1 and that was pretty good, the main ladies (&girls) were good characters, and the supernatural or not mystery is interesting. That said, as a binge watch, it was kind of jarring how wildly they seemed to swerve between the two in the space of about an episode. Also all the gross "medical" stuff was great.

The final bits of the finale were a mixed bag; 90s timeline stuff remained cool, but the cultists (?) and doggo shrine were a bit ehh. Though at least on that last point it was made pretty clear early on that Tai has some... Issues, be they psychological or spooky.

pokeyman posted:

I do appreciate the care they put in to keeping everything plausibly (un-)supernatural. Like was young Lottie's screaming to avert a car crash something special, or just the one time out of a thousand that something useful happened while she had a lil scream session?

The dialogue between mom and dad there is ambiguous, but dad's dismissal could be taken that she has scream sessions without future-predicting powers. The show also played around with horror tropes nicely, like Sammy's emerging break-down and jump scares. Combustion bear was a bit odd, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It is clearly a temperate rain forest biome, so probably has to be BC somewhere.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this show needs more daria references if it wants to get really good

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rappaport posted:

The dialogue between mom and dad there is ambiguous, but dad's dismissal could be taken that she has scream sessions without future-predicting powers. The show also played around with horror tropes nicely, like Sammy's emerging break-down and jump scares. Combustion bear was a bit odd, though.

The ambiguity is pretty perfect, since the show is so often about faith. The teddy bear seemed genuinely supernatural to me, but I can accept the interpretation that we're tied to their flawed subjectivity, so the actual reality of events is hard to pin down. Laura Lee is so religious, she reads divine causes into all kinds of poo poo. She survived the crash because she prayed, the lifeguard's cross necklace was illuminated by rays of heaven because saving her was God's will. Did the bear actually combust, or was there a fire in the cabin that eventually hit the bear? She saw what her belief system prepared her to see.

Likewise, you have things like the eyeless guy Taissa keeps seeing. Is he actually some spiritual entity, or did Taissa fill in the blanks from the cryptic poo poo her dying grandmother said? Did the living bear lay down to be killed, or was there something medically wrong with it? Etc, etc.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

https://youtu.be/9FuMuTgIkBg

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Don't normally rate these kinds of things, but that one was pretty good.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yeah, that was pretty awesome in every shot and moment.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm not sure which is less believable, ghosts or Teen Misty rigging up an altitude delay teddy bomb.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Really bugs me more than it should that the injured freshman who didn't go to nationals was somehow the chair of the graduating class.

IDK, I feel like this show should be much better than it is. Very unimpressed with the casting on the adult side, and with the contemporary storylines in general. I don't really care for any of those 4 actresses (especially Juliette Lewis, who is terrible) or the things happening to their characters. Lots of boring stuff happening in 2021 while the material in 1996 gets squeezed out at a snail's pace.

Haven't read the thread and I'm guessing this reference has been made, but the show reminds me of Lost in all the worst ways. Annoying mystery box teasing through and through.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vernacular posted:

I don't really care for any of those 4 actresses

woah

Vernacular posted:

(especially Juliette Lewis, who is terrible)

[slower] woah

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

its also really not like Lost other than plane crash

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

woah

[slower] woah

They are all not very good individually nor do they have any chemistry with one another, sorry!

CODChimera posted:

its also really not like Lost other than plane crash

It's like Lost in that they both appear Very Dramatic Indeed, buoyed by the tantalizing promise of otherworldly mystery and satisfying payoffs at some point, but between the slow plot rollout and plodding alternation between now and then, the things that actually happen don't live up to the mood. Especially in the 2021 half of the show where stuff that doesn't have much weight like the senate race and the whole thing between Misty and the fixer get a huge amount of airtime.

But mostly I just really dislike the 2021 half of the show and don't feel much of a reason to care about what happens to the adult versions of the characters.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Yellowjackets is more like Lost than all the lovely shows that explicitly tried to be Lost after its success. A plane crash in an isolated wilderness is the most obvious one but every Yellowjackets episode pretty closely apes the Lost structure of showing split timelines that give insights into specific character motivations. Plus you have supernatural events (explicit in Lost, possibly in YJ), spooky ghost cabins, cults/tribes, etc.

I'm really liking Yellowjackets so far but I really hope they don't keep subjecting us to characters talking about "what they did" and withholding information indefinitely for shocking twists for five seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

There's been some interview where the creators have said "yeah, when we said we have a five season plan, it's only because Showtime requires that for every pitch* so we definitely don't aim to drag things out. We can even end the show early if we want"

* wow, what a surprise.