Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just got done binging season 2. It was a step down from season 1, but it was still alright TV.

Seems like it’s a on a similar trajectory with a lot of previous Showtime shows that had a promising first season and then went down hill until I eventually gave up without finishing.

The mystery box elements seem like cheap hooks to get people invested, but then they never go anywhere or have really unsatisfying conclusions. My least favorite kind of TV/movie.

It’s occasionally the right blend of absurd, wacky or gross to get me laughing though. So it’s got that going for it.

I’ll be tuning in for season 3 to binge it just like I did for 1 and 2. Might finish it, might not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Just binged the rest of the show after leaving off on episode six of season two. I get complaining about adult Taissa’s storyline and the storyline between adult Tai and Van. But the rest was great, especially The Adventures of Misty and Walter. Hell, even what I was complaining about, Shaun’s teenage daughter, Callie, got fixed in the end. The twist of, “Is Lottie going to die?” Twice over, as young and adult was nice. Not to mention dropping adult Natalie, who I always thought was playing every single role Lewis has already played. She was boring, especially when everyone else is acting their asses off. The kids eating Javi, bro first, was crazy. Also, as a woman who feels that ticking reproductive clock, the cries of the baby and eventual death/cannibalism was rough. I almost cried. Coach’s burning of the shack, as well as taking rope and matches to defend his turf as his hides from crazed teenage girls was chef’s kiss. I think the smoke is what’s going to lead a rescue team for them next season.

In any case, bingeing made this show better though, as I didn’t have to wait between slow plot beats. It was also funny, bingeing the thread and seeing so MANY wrong guesses and takes due to pessimism about the show’s quality and depression from Lost. I never saw Lost and really dig this show.

Also, as a younger millennial, I skew a LITTLE bit too young to have gotten to listen to the tunes played on the show when I was growing up, so discovering new music in apropos times on the show feels amazing. I love the official Spotify playlist of the show. Count me in as a goon that wants more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it’s been posted in this thread before, but it would be a pretty wild twist for someone who’s alive in the 2021 story to die in 1996 and for the show to just go at least a season without addressing it at all, although I don’t think the show’s presentation of “the supernatural” is going more in the direction of “teen girls experience a group delusion that can be explained by established knowledge of adolescent group dynamics” rather than “something incontrovertibly magical or genuinely impossible happens.”

The loss of the cabin really seems like the show closing the door on having a spooky haunted place. That laughing fur trapper guy is probably not into haunting the woods. Has he even come back for anyone’s weird dreams? I expected to see him in Natalie’s death vision, but no such luck.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just have the dude in a parrot costume from Misty’s vision show up in 1996.

gently caress it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Third season won't air until next year.

Wonder if we'll finally get that secret extra episode this year, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ouch. That's gonna put it a solid two years out from season 2. See you all next year, then.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol remember when shows dropped 22 eps every year

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Where’s my Yellowjackets clip show?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Started/finished it all this last week. I loved it and I’m sorry for everyone that can’t accept that sometimes a self-immolating teddy bear is just a self-immolating teddy bear and there’s no point trying to explain it.

I also love twin peaks S1,S2, and the Return completely and accept them as presented, so I’m probably broken.

Something I’m surprised hasn’t come up in this thread really is that final hunt farce. No one was a risk of dying at all during it. They even showed Shauna dulling knives on the sharpener. The point was to make Lottie think it was real while they bought time for the mental health people to come scoop her up. It fell apart when T and V (right?) decided to cancel that call and I guess just kill Lottie.

The only thing that will put me off of S3 is if they write Van’s actor’s top surgery into a cannibal-lite plot point.

zelah fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

zelah posted:

I also love twin peaks S1,S2, and the Return completely and accept them as presented, so I’m probably broken.

I agree with you, did you by any chance not watch Lost either? There is a lot of Lost trauma in this subforum.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I know for sure I watched a few seasons but just peaced out around the time they Had To Go Back I think. It was a very long time ago and I do not let it hold power over me.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

zelah posted:

no shame on loving them wholeheartedly. that said Twin Peaks is perfect VIBES television in a way that very few shows manage

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Just watched the first two seasons for the first time over the past few weeks. Enjoyed it for the most part, but just curious- how do people feel overall about Juliette Lewis in this show? Even accounting for the trauma and addiction, I had a really tough time reconciling the teen and adult versions of Nat, and I didn't feel like the adult version was an especially good portrayal of an addict even in a vacuum. I haven't read enough on the show to know if that's a heretical take or mainstream.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Her teen story gets fleshed out more in season 2, in a way that made it make more sense to me.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Adult Nat definitely looks the least their teen counterpart, but I bought her as a broken depressed person struggling with addiction. There felt like there was a simmering, unpredictable violence under the surface but I don’t think that really materialized.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
A lot of adult Nat's behaviors hit way too close to home, very believable IMO

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There’s something very theatrical about adult Nat that there’s no trace of in teen Nat, though it’s hard to separate how much of that is in the performance versus how much of that is in the framing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

General Dog posted:

…it’s hard to separate how much of that is in the performance versus how much of that is in the framing.

Definitely. My tolerance for wild acting swings is pretty high for the group of teens starving and going insane in an elder god’s backyard. There’s not that much teen Nat could do that’d hit as too big or too crazy what with the cannibalism and all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

Third season won't air until next year.

Wonder if we'll finally get that secret extra episode this year, though.

Lol what. Are they waiting until the teen actors grow up? Are they doing Boyhood?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
there was famously some kind of thing that slowed down some productions last year

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nikumatic posted:

there was famously some kind of thing that slowed down some productions last year

Yeah, it was real bummer when that plane crashed.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Ella Purnell, who played Jackie in the flashback segments of Yellowjackets, is starring in Amazon's new Fallout show. New trailer looks pretty promising.

TCE
Feb 26, 2016
Finished my season 2 binge. Liked it, will definitely keep going, but I rewatched the pilot recently and found myself kind of missing the show that was promised there. The way the show is going - especially in the adult plot - is fine, I like lurid and goofy and soap opera like plot resolutions, but the pilot felt a little weightier, like it was taking itself and the characters more seriously, and I wouldn't have minded if they stuck to that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it could've been a really amazing 2 season show that wrapped up all its threads and got to play with its best few twists and concepts.

It kind of feels like they had a cool little concept they could wrap up with a bow, but between maybe just liking their own characters too much or being given the opportunity to expand out further, they seem to just be diluting it the longer it goes on.

This big production gap plus supposedly even more seasons coming is gonna make for some really sketchy seasons.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Khanstant posted:

I think it could've been a really amazing 2 season show that wrapped up all its threads and got to play with its best few twists and concepts.

It kind of feels like they had a cool little concept they could wrap up with a bow, but between maybe just liking their own characters too much or being given the opportunity to expand out further, they seem to just be diluting it the longer it goes on.

This big production gap plus supposedly even more seasons coming is gonna make for some really sketchy seasons.

It would have made for a fantastic mini series. Even a couple seasons would have told a really good story. But Showtime is going to milk it until we're bored and upset. They'll never be HBO. And I trust them less than AMC and FX for that matter.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sophie Nélisse (young Shawna) just gave an interview where she mentioned the third season starts filming next month, and also provided a fairly big spoiler for the bonus episode in between the seasons: seemingly the younger cast at least aren't in it at all, if not the entire main cast.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a promo photo for that mystery episode that gives a pretty good hint about what it’s about if anyone cares to get a vague spoiler.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

There’s a promo photo for that mystery episode that gives a pretty good hint about what it’s about if anyone cares to get a vague spoiler.

Sure why not

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Young Jackie is the lead on the Fallout show. I told a friend "Yeah she was really good on Yellowjackets".

He says "Oh yeah I've wanted to watch that. Which of the actresses is her grown up?"

*Whistles nervously*

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

Young Jackie is the lead on the Fallout show. I told a friend "Yeah she was really good on Yellowjackets".

He says "Oh yeah I've wanted to watch that. Which of the actresses is her grown up?"

*Whistles nervously*

Just tell him Grown-up Jackie Is also in Fallout but it's a blink and you miss it cameo (the rear end jerky the ghoul makes)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Not all the kids have shown up as adults yet, so you could just say "we haven't met her yet"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Do they have a number of seasons in mind? Or is this one of those things where Showtime will drag it out as long as people are mildly interested?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

*Whistles nervously*

Haha thankfully Amazon's overlay makes it super easy to see who is who. I knew she looked vaguely familiar but wouldn't have pegged her as Jackie without looking her up. The actress looks so much more vibrant, maybe it's the hair, or maybe it's not being a frozen TV dinner.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Incidentally you could tell the story of Yellowjackets as a Fallout quest by having a plane crash setpiece somewhere, dozen or do skeletons near a burnt cabin and nearby yaoguai cave. Add a few notes or audio diaries around the place. Have a broken radio you can repair with one simple part that plays a bonus audio file.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Do they have a number of seasons in mind? Or is this one of those things where Showtime will drag it out as long as people are mildly interested?

Allegedly the writers have a broad story outline that's meant to span 5 seasons. Season 2 diminished my confidence in their ability to pull this off but I guess we'll see.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Christ, you've made me remember the secret cave.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The "we have a 5 season arc in mind" is standard speech for tv writers these days. Kripke said he had a 5 season arc in mind for supernatural, mike flannagan says he has a 5 season arc in mind for the dark tower, david fincher said he wanted mindhunter to get 5 seasons. Its just meant to say "oh, we're not just pulling stuff out of our rear end as we go."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Supernatural did have a strong 5 season arc tbf. They just then made another 10 seasons

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Rarity posted:

Supernatural did have a strong 5 season arc tbf. They just then made another 10 seasons

Well, how else are they going to pay for Jensen Ackles' retirement fund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm pretty sure Ackles space3 age, much less retire.