Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I thought they mentioned canadian rockies too... But going over canada to get from NJ to Seattle is perfectly fine-- see the concept of great circles.

Actually, nevermind the great circle for NJ to SEA stays over the US

Yeah the pilot says there’s a great view of the Canadian Rockies from your window or something like that. I did see a bunch of stuff referencing ontario outside of the show, but maybe they changed it to be BC?

I mean never mind the type of forest, at one point they show snow capped mountains in the distance. Wouldn’t make sense if it was ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

withak posted:

Wonder if this means the story was never going to be resolved this season, or just that they are going to have to make up something completely new for next season?

I mean, we’re halfway through the season and what, a month into their 19-month stay in the woods? I’d be surprised if we even find out who spiketrap girl is this season.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like that's the ONLY thing we'll definitely find out this season. I doubt we'll properly catch up to that timeline.

Yeah on second thought I think you’re right: I can definitely see them somehow revealing that without catching up to that moment in timeline. But I do think that the way the season is going, they were planning to stretch it out from day 1.

One thing I do think will get resolved this season is Adam’s secret deal at least. How old is he supposed to be anyways? I figured mid 30s but him being at the same party as Callie threw me off a bit.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there any evidence of him having a secret besides this is a show with mysteries so that will probably happen eventually if he’s around long enough?

TV show logic, he was guilty from the moment we didn’t get an explanation for why he stopped short

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

D34THROW posted:

What are the odds Jeff isn't actually cheating on Shawna and that was a weird thing with the hotel and he really is having inventory database issues at work?

I don't think it's the inventory thing, he's lying about something but I also think he's not cheating.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

coronatae posted:

At this point I don't know who will be the Antler Queen but if Adam is grown-up Javi I will be furious. I'm gonna :toxx: myself for the first time in my horrible goon life.

IF Adam is grown-uo Javi THEN I will donate $150 to Biblioteca Nuestros Hijos, founded by the mothers of 11 children who died in Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 from which this show draws significant influence.

I will probably donate regardless of the outcome but I might as well make it into a horrible goon gamble.

You will also get a video of me yelling NOOOOOOO if Adam turns out to be Javi

…why does it bother you so much?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

That was a tense scene with the jackets going all Maenads on Javi. I had to remind myself twice that we already know he makes it out of the woods.

You mean Travis right? I’m pretty sure we dont know if Javi survives

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CODChimera posted:

I mean the fire in the plane was definitely filmed in a way to make it seem like it was something strange

There’s definitely supernatural stuff in the show, I think the forums poster is referring to the outrageous Reddit theories.

Edit: maybe I’m wrong, probably shouldn’t speak for other posters. But we’ve seen that lottie’s visions actually predict the future beyond what could possibly be coincidence, between that and the spontaneous combustion I’d say the barn door is wide open for the supernatural.

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 10, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m sorry - is “Jackie is not dead” a real theory that is being thrown around? There’s “bad at watching tv” and then there’s ….that

Also, I assumed the bank lady’s “who the gently caress is Lottie” was confirmation that Lottie is still alive and running the cult? Though I guess she could be dead and the cult is just being run in her name?

My guess is that Lottie stays behind when they get rescued or something and was presumed dead.

Question: was the heart on Taisa’s altar supposed to be the dog’s? It looked kinda big so I wasn’t really sure.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

coronatae posted:

I want to try bear meat.

I’ve had bear sausage, a friend from Timmons Ontario (which is very far North) brought it for me to try. It was super heavy and greasy but otherwise tasted decent, probably still wouldn’t eat it again though. Feel bad about eating a bear.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the doggo scene :ohdear:

what the heck was that room anyway

sudden appearance of cultists in weird symbol jumpsuits to kidnap natalie was a bit stupid. i guess they have to resolve the travis plotline some way other than "idk he just got real sad and actually did kill himself" but someone seeking revenge or whatever coulda done that without a onesie. makes sense if they're people we'd recognize but it still looked really goofy in a show that's otherwise been fairly normal (if extreme) events through a psychological horror prism making it seem supernatural

Yeah they could have all had the same necklace or something instead of those stupid clothes. I still thought it was a cool reveal, seems like next season will have an actual antagonist.

I gotta scratch my head at some of the people saying the supernatural elements are ambiguous though. So far we’ve had:
  • exploding teddy bear
  • bear walking up to a crowd of people and letting itself get killed
  • A freshly killed deer full of maggots
  • Lottie suddenly becoming fluent in a language that she didn’t know before

There’s some ambiguity about Lottie’s visions and whatever’s going on with Taisa, but there’s been other stuff that has no rational explanation. I feel like some people won’t be convinced until we see a giant monster (hopefully not made of smoke).

Edit: a cool detail I missed the first time is that Lottie basically foresees Laura Lee’s death at the end of the baptism in episode 6 — “I saw fire and light” — which Laura Lee misinterprets as the Holy Spirit.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 17, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CODChimera posted:

There was also the flashback to the child that screamed in the car and made the parents avoid a crash

I left out stuff that you could chalk up to coincidence, regardless of how unlikely, which is most of lotties visions. But I do think it’s supposed to be obvious to the audience that she has some kind of power.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I thought it was supposed to be Quebec because all the stuff in the cabin was French.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I liked S1 leftovers more than S3 personally. Guest and the finale are both amazing.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Do you have a specific example? Pretty much everything had been explicable by mental illness, psychoactive drugs, and group delusions.

“Group delusion” might be a thing in real life but it would be incredibly cheap and lazy in a tv show. Basically any supernatural horror movie could be explained that way. Imagine if Carrie ended with the reveal that everyone at the prom just hallucinated her having telekinetic powers.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, the hardcore reality of the frailty of the human psyche faced with extraordinary stressors is a huge copout, "a ghost did it" does a much better job of eliciting an emotional response from the audience. 👻

That’s a very funny way to look at it but I’m willing to bet that more people believe in ghosts than mass hallucinations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I’m actually not sure which bear were talking about any more