Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope they don't do that kind of blatant misdirection, but they were also deliberately obscuring everyone's faces (but one), so it's definitely possible there's more to it.

They are kind of already doing it with the necklace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope they don't do that kind of blatant misdirection, but they were also deliberately obscuring everyone's faces (but one), so it's definitely possible there's more to it.

I’m absolutely expecting some eye rolls and a few surprise reveals. Maybe I’m colored by my recent programming, but I view this so far as a better made I Know What You Did Last Summer, so I will definitely be tolerant of some goofiness.

I will, however, be pissed if the teenage story isn’t mostly resolved by the end of this season. If they leave everything hanging there, I have a hard time imagining that I will be able to maintain my enthusiasm for the show over a hiatus.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well in the opening of the second episode, Jackie left her to burn to death in a plane crash.

I can see how that'd get someone's dander up.

“You wanna save the corn nuts?”

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Open Source Idiom posted:

The flashbacks won't be resolved this season. 100%.

If we're unlucky, the show will find ways to feature the teen actors until the very end of the show, instead of moving on from that plot at a good pace.

I suspect that you are right, but I'm hoping they practice best storytelling techniques and don't ruin the intrigue they have.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

coronatae posted:

It's right at the start of the preview. Look closely.

Would you mind posting it in a spoiler? It’ll be about 9 hours until I can watch it and I’ll def forget.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This show feels like its already on the edge of total incoherence, and I can't imagine what trying to milk more seasons out of it will be like.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

coronatae posted:

What about it feels incoherent to you? I think they have a lot of separate plot threads that aren't always well balanced but hopefully they can tie some of them together in a way that makes sense.

Re: Misty, I can't really decide if she murdered Travis. Finding the pattern in the crime scene photos feels too convenient. But I could totally believe she sent the SEND 50K text (or had someone like stallion99 set it up for her) just to see what would happen.

Incoherence isn't the right word. There are just a lot of things going on and I can't imagine resolving them in any way that won't be totally bonkers and maybe unsatisfying.

I's in through this season no matter what, but it feels like it's falling into the Lost trap of establishing a bunch of supernatural stuff that can't be paid off in any meaningful way. That said, the show probably wont run for over 100 episodes like Lost did, so if they don't stick the landing on the paranormal stuff it wont be as annoying.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

But Travis was killed by his younger brother IMO, who's the dude who's having the affair with Shauna.

Javi is absolutely sketch.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The supernatural stuff all can be explaind though? Lottie ran out of crazy pills and Misty fed the coach period blood tea and it all coincided with a puff of wind to give a bunch of scares and vulnerable girls an excuse to found a new religion around the ol' dead smuggler.

I think establishing a bunch of ostensibly paranormal stuff only to pull back the curtain and reveal that they’re all the machinations of Evil Genius Misty might be goofier than just having the ghost of a fur trapper possess a bunch of teenagers.

But I’ve always thought of the show as Riverdale tier, so I’m looking forward to the insanity. I’ll be interested in seeing how the threads resolve.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Misty and Shauna are both great

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm into this show while the going's good but no way they make multiple seasons of this without either:
1. Stretching the plot thinner than castaways' supplies
or
2. Going completely off the rails

Yeah they are absolutely going to get another season and Glee it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

While the mysteries are certainly a part of the Lost comparison, I think the parenthetical part of the criticism, at least for me, is that the writers don't actually have a plan for how the story will play out.

If we knew that this was a one season event with no possibility of a second almost all of my fears would be assuaged.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah but even if it becomes bad it would probably still be entertaining

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I mean, when people pitch five season plans, th stuff for later seasons is often not more detailed than "and in season 4, they fight the devil" or whatever.

In season two, Shauna gets lost and the girls spend nine episodes looking for her. She is in the barn.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Season 2: Shauna is in the barn

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Are we sure Coach is alive? Didn’t watch the preview.

Also all of those Reddit users are massive brains.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

mobby_6kl posted:

No I don't think we've seen him outside the 95 timeline.

He's definitely getting eaten first because he'll have the most meat and would otherwise need the most food.

I mostly just meant do we know that Misty didn’t kill him while she was high on shrooms?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah, I didn't think favourably of this development. It's very L O S T, in a bad way.

Yeah I’m not confident about the show’s quality moving forward. It’s definitely going to be a victim of its own success, but I’ll probably keep watching as long as Christina Ricci is in it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

babypolis posted:

Agreed on the first point. The adult scenes mostly dragged down the show. I really, really dont care about Tai's political campaign for example. It does get a lot better once the 4 main characters start hanging out more tho

Disagreed on the second two. I really liked Jackie's end, it perfectly fits her arc during the whole season. I liked this bit from the creators about it:

"This was something that was in the original pitch for the show. We always knew how and when she was going to die. We had a word-for-word, scripted, and memorized pitch that we made a lot of people sit through. The final phrase was, “And as the first snow begins to fall, we end Season One.” We knew that Jackie was going to die. In the most straightforward way, our show is operating on that Lord of the Flies level. She was symbolic of society and the home that they had known, and the ways of thinking and behaving, and all of those structures."

As for PI lady falling for Mistys trap, thats her repeating her character flaw, which is underestimating Misty. She really thought she had her in the palm of her hand

I don’t think that this show is specifically well made or anything, but I just didn’t see Jackie ever being an avatar of civilization or society. Their home, perhaps, but she wasn’t well liked by most of the girls.

In LOTF the death of Piggy works because while he is unpopular, he’s also the most vulnerable person in the group. Society is built on order, as is he. Maybe Jackie works as a representation of the social order of high school specifically, but I don’t think they’ve established all the connections they would have liked.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Vernacular posted:

Really bugs me more than it should that the injured freshman who didn't go to nationals was somehow the chair of the graduating class.

IDK, I feel like this show should be much better than it is. Very unimpressed with the casting on the adult side, and with the contemporary storylines in general. I don't really care for any of those 4 actresses (especially Juliette Lewis, who is terrible) or the things happening to their characters. Lots of boring stuff happening in 2021 while the material in 1996 gets squeezed out at a snail's pace.

Haven't read the thread and I'm guessing this reference has been made, but the show reminds me of Lost in all the worst ways. Annoying mystery box teasing through and through.

This is Christina Ricci erasure.

Agree with pretty much everything else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

But for real I’d be willing to wager money that the first seasons story was changed during filming because it’s sloppy and stinks imo.

The only thing that is interesting is the Jeff reversal, which at least ensures that the adults will have something to do in season 2.

At some point we better get a legal drama subplot/Better Call Saul crossover.