Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Matt Zerella posted:

IDK why but i keep getting the feeling the whole cannibalism thing is a red herring.

Like that didn't happen and was a dream or like that what they were eating was a really avant-garde birthday cake?

(PS thank you for making a thread, Hakkesshu.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Matt Zerella posted:

I mean, she’s killed 2 rabbits like its nothing, theres a wolf flashback. IDK, maybe they get really good at hunting?

It’s just a hunch, I am completely ok with being wrong.

O word, I wasn't making fun of you or nothing. You said it was just a tummy-feel guess and that's about as good as anything I've got is. I was making the "birthday cake" comment as a joke because it would be super lovely of the writers if they did actually set it up like that and it turned out to just be some random other meat. I like twists as much as the next guy, but straight up just lying to audience sucks and is dumb.

Pulling stuff now that we have a thread :

a new study bible! posted:

I'm assuming the glint they notice from the lake was from a set of binoculars or something. Unless the glint was a reflection from a window or something, but from my experience a reflection of sunlight in the distance= a scope. Also, upon a quick rewatch, it appears to be moving and swelling a bit, so it seems unlikely to me that it was from a fixed object. Maybe I'm missing something?

Also yes, I was referring to the ginger girl. Back in the first episode I thought she had an Irish accent and my wife thought I was insane. It seems unlikely that she is actually Irish lol

Lol, I'm with your wife, that girl is Jersey as gently caress. She couldn't do her state prouder if she was actively covered in petro-chemicals. I bet she has like 47 dirt bikes and drives them all like an rear end in a top hat.

As to the glint going by reality, so who knows cause it's a show, but shining like that is just what reflective surfaces do from far away. The reason why a rifle scope or binoculars does that is cause it's a small object reflecting a long way off, so small movements (like your hand moving slightly) happen. But this also can happen with just wind or something and it could totally be a window or whatever. I get what you mean with the over-used cliche of a glinting scope though and I might be reacting so hard against it cause I hate that over-used trash.

Looten Plunder posted:

I agree the Lynskey affair plot is weak, but it's Melanie Lynskey so I don't care. She's awesome.

I think I need to do a rewatch though, I mustn't have been paying much attention. I have no idea why Ricci and Lewis have been doing what they're doing beyond "we were sent a postcard".

Also, just to confirm, is Lynskey's husband in the current timeline the same guy she cheated with in the first episode as kids?
The reporter/author asking questions is a different character to Taissa's wife yeah?

1)They were going after Travis, the older son of the coach back in 96 a.k.a. the latest in dangling barn ornaments

2) We are left to assume that, cause otherwise she's got a real thing going for Jeffs.

3) Yes, they are different people. Highly different people.

Is anyone else constantly keeping track of that necklace in the back of their minds?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

What did Jackie do to Vanessa in the first episode to make her pissed at her? I assume there was some sort of dodgy selfish act during the plane crash?

Well in the opening of the second episode, Jackie left her to burn to death in a plane crash.

I can see how that'd get someone's dander up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

-Taissa's wife is a hallucination

I kind of appreciate how stupid this one is as just a theory for the sake of having a theory. Taissa's wife has done nothing worth positing this, so you might as well just say any random poo poo is a hallucination while you're at it. Like, the plane being a figment of their imagination makes the same amount of sense. It wouldn't be a plot twist, it'd just be... some kind of bent thing no one cared about.

(I look forward to saying equally dumb poo poo within the next week and getting roundly mocked.)

So since I'm not the only one paying attention to the necklace, maybe it'll seem less weird that I'm doing it with just about every object that's a carry-over between the timelines. Like did anyone else notice that the hunting knife from the first episode is on the table in the cabin? Or the symbol on the tree had less negative space than the one on the postcard. A major part of the plot is that it's basically survival horror, so drat loving skippy I'm gonna be tracking every thing I can short of actually writing up a spreadsheet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

nats looking at travis because 'drat hes actually cute i want that in me'

O poo poo the cannibalism is already starting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Looking forward to more tonight!

Until further notice I’m making up dumb joke names to refer to the timelines, feel free to join me or not.

The 1996 era is One Hot Minute cause that album has Aeroplane and ‘94 is close enough I was 6 deal with it.

The Lady of the Flies cannibal fun-times are Mesquite Misty’s House of BBQ.

The modern stuff is the one I’m least sure of cause it’s just now but it’s currently just Burp Sound Effect.

I’m open to suggestions to refine my stupid joke names.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I got chainmail as a first thought, but that seems unlikely unless Laura Lee brought her armor of god lol. My next guess was some kind of aircraft netting, but all I know about that is “airplanes have some kind of metal netting, I think, maybe?” So please take your complimentary bag of rock salt with my conjecture.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I swear to god if Adam turns out to have been Javi the whole time or some bullshit, I’m gonna figure out how to physically throw a streaming service so I can yeet it through the writer’s window.

In other news, today I learned that I too would probably have an affair with Melanie Lynskey if she was into it, gently caress yeah we can talk about Over the Garden Wall, 2) I’m officially old cause the idea of having sex in a car just gives me sympathetic joint pain.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ok, rich girl is the one who's getting all paranoid without her meds and found the body right?

I kinda wonder how that's going to play into the maybe-supernatural stuff, especially with taissa's apparently congenital... psychic sensitivity? mental issues?

also holy poo poo i love misty so much

There is roughly a 7,000% chance they do a protracted thing about "is she seeing spoopy ghosts or is she crazy?~?~?~??~?~ *~*~*~Mystery~*~*~*~*". I can feel it in my bones and I know I'll hate it so I hope I'm wrong and this is a better show than that.

PS *~*~*~*~*~*Misty-ry*~~*~*~*~*~*~

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Wait poo poo I must have missed something. I need to watch it again.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hahaha! Didn't have to look too closely. That'll teach me to watch stuff on my phone.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty ballsy of them to reveal the lead cannibal so early.

nats looking at travis because 'drat hes actually cute i want that in me'

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Yay, there's a thread now :)

I have to laugh watching the forest scenes. I know it's filmed in BC and yet they keep banging on about being in Ontario. The problem being, it's the wrong kind of forest for Ontario.

They do? My Canada knowledge is minimal and all on the Eastern side, but I thought the plane went down in the Canadian Rockies so this would be British Columbia or Alberta? Did I make that up? As I said, my Canadian geography sucks, but the premise of the show is that they're flying from Jersey to Seattle, so if they went over Ontario they're taking a scenic god drat route.

But even if that's correct, I've never been further West than Toronto so for all I know the forests are all date palms once you pass Winnipeg.

coronatae posted:

goddammit i snorted LOUDLY at my desk

that pic would do numbers on the fb page and discord

I greatest goal on the internet is to cause people to laugh at their screens and have to awkwardly explain it. I hope your boss/significant other/cat was dutifully confused.

And feel free to share it. I didn't care enough to even plug in a mouse, so it's not like it's a great artistic achievement.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 7, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

:getin:

And yeah all the official material specifies Ontario. gently caress if I know what specific wilderness I'm looking at, I hate snow

Well gently caress. The real mystery was the marketing decisions all along. Why would they be in Ontario?!?!

Also, sorry if I came off as doubting you, angerbeet. All confusion is aimed at the show-runners because that geography makes no sense to me and I guess I just subconsciously rewrote it in my head.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Canada yeah, sure, that makes sense. But Ontario is almost directly North.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but here's the flight path. It's way South of Ontario.

I don't actually, actually care. I'm just kind of befuddled because they could have chosen any places to crash at or fly-between and they picked weird ones. It's just a bizarre decision on the writers' part.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

Tonight I'm poring over Sammy's creepy drawings on the window. I wish I could read the writing on some of them.

I still have photoshop open and I'm a professional reader of old illegible documents. If you shoot me a screencap, I'll try my best.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

The screenshots came from reddit so let's see if I can post them here

and this one has no text but I think is important for decoding the other pictures

The inclusion of the red-headed figure with a heart makes it pretty obvious that the creepy af bleeding-eye screaming-mouth figure is Tai. This is reinforced by the "family portrait" on the right side of the first screenshot. But what does that text on the left say? What is the figure on the left in that drawing? None of the guesses I have make sense.

How's this help?

I upped the contrast then left the darkest bits to try and filter out the background smudginess.

DO N M U FAR

But there's probably missing parts of letters in the smudges. I can try to see if there's a stroke order to them.

VVVV O yeah, of course. But I think we're just having some funnsies, not trying to make serious predictions like this is some Nostradamus poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Can't believe no one has mentioned how loving awesome the intro sequence is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9xBQ8sp5Y

Hey if that’s your opinion, go to town. I think it’s eminently forgettable and pretty bland. Not bad, of course, but it’s miles away from great opening themes like Deadwood.

But I’m also ranking it against my dream version which is a grunge take on the soundtrack to Ravenous. Or a cover of grunge music by the guy who did Ravenous.

Not that I don’t want it to be good. If I’m the lone weirdo and this is more popular it’s good for the show so fine by me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Medullah posted:

So are they setting up the "Misty is the big bad and killed Travis" misdirect only to have the finale reveal someone else?

No, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Misty killed the beast.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

Laura Lee is 100% going to try flying that plane and crash it and die. Episode 8 is titled "Flight of the Bumblebee"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone explain to me how putting a Walkman with nothing plugged into it into a bucket turns it into a bitchin sound system?

A lot of walkmen (mans?) had a little external speaker, and if you put a small speaker in a metal concavity like a bucket or a bowl, it gets surprisingly loud. You're basically reflecting all of the sound waves in a concentrated, single direction so it works a lot better than you'd think with just a little effort. It's not gonna sound like that, of course, but the music was being edited in from a studio recording so of course it's not.

You can actually do this with your phone as an experiment if you want. I know this because I listen to podcasts when I cook and stuff, and when my headphones broke once I got creative. I eventually found out that once I got the touch, my lovely little phone could play podcasts loud and crisp enough that I could hear them across the room even when I was using a stand mixer or taking a shower or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

By suspending disbelief for 12 seconds and just enjoying the show?

Also this, but I’m not gonna let it slide that it’s literally a thing that happens when you put something that makes sound into a bucket. You should be able to suspend disbelief and also sometimes goons just don’t know a thing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cinema Sins has ruined the ability to be understood when you make jokes like that. Once you realize there are huge chunks of the world that think the Statue of Liberty at the end of Planet of the Apes is a continuity error, you just stop thinking people are acting in good faith.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

I think establishing a bunch of ostensibly paranormal stuff only to pull back the curtain and reveal that they’re all the machinations of Evil Genius Misty might be goofier than just having the ghost of a fur trapper possess a bunch of teenagers.

But I’ve always thought of the show as Riverdale tier, so I’m looking forward to the insanity. I’ll be interested in seeing how the threads resolve.

What has happened that was ostensibly paranormal? Everything has been at the level of "spooky but completely explainable by normal means".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’d say that by far the most likely culprit for the murder and postcards is Natalie. She won’t be the girl eaten in the prologue, but she will appear to die but actually have survived somehow without the rest of the girls’ knowledge and is getting revenge. She’s one of the main characters and was conspicuous in her absence in the present day from the start, and since we’re now primed to assume she’s dead, it will be a twist if she isn’t.

E: this is a loving great show, btw. Misty in both time periods is amazing.

...?

Natalie, one of the four main characters in the modern day as portrayed by Juliette Lewis?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O okay. Word. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, the show is currently leaving Jackie's fate very much ????? and I assume that's gonna be a major mystery going forward. There were a couple mentions in the last episode, but they very carefully didn't say any specifics, just lots of rephrases about "what happened to Jackie".

Sorry if I insulted you or something, but I was really, really profoundly confused.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

I, too, am a conniving poodle-haired little loving freak

Fukken gang tag material right there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don’t make long-term predictions cause I prefer to not draw hard conclusions from limited data (a.k.a. I’m a coward), but I wonder if the necklace thing might not be a red herring. It’d be low-hanging fruit to set us up with the idea that it’s Jackie’s necklace on the person who is killed at the beginning, and we’re playing this whole shells and pea game, but really the show was playing straight and Jackie bites it in the first 4 minutes of the show. It has a bluntness I like.

Or Lottie’s a fuckin’ wizard or something idk.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Show owns bones.

So far the main “criticisms” seem to be :

1) But what is the mystery?!?? What is going to happen on this mystery show about a mystery!?!?

2) O god, I hope this doesn’t turn into another Lost. I just want to love again, don’t hurt me.

I’m firmly in the latter category, but the show hasn’t actually done anything to warrant it, so it feels kind of like recovering from bullying.

Would recommend so far.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

coronatae posted:

They pitched it as a 5 season series so we'll see. Depends if they even get renewed for season 2

I'd be fine if they do 5 seasons if it's actually good and not just episode after episode of bullshit asspulls for extra mystery. The latter was my problem with lost, cause it just felt like the show was doing that dumb prank with the dollar bill on the fishing line.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There's a barn now?!?!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shee-it. Any chance they can stunt-cast it as Tom Waits?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It was less a specific reference and more that Tom Waits was just kind of born to play Old Scratch, but that movie was the proof it was always the case.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

gently caress. Yes!

Any news on returning cast?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There was a Shauna in the red barn.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's Claire's baby. I'm decaying like Matt Damon in saving private Ryan to report that the timeline works.

Who the gently caress is Claire.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Is there any evidence of him having a secret besides this is a show with mysteries so that will probably happen eventually if he’s around long enough?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Word. Just making sure there wasn't a specific thing we were keying off and we're all just doing this on the principles of general suspicion.

I'm gonna say that he's secretly the ghost wolf that Taissa keeps seeing. Not that he's like a werewolf. No, he just puts on a derpy little costume and growls outside her window sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dawg you gotta start quoting these weirdos. I really wanna know how they get to these conclusions.

Is this how some people watch things? Like do they sit down to watch an episode of Mad Men by dropping acid in a sensory deprivation tank and just imagining what happens?