Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bindged the show after avoiding it out of spite because film/tv twitter decided this was the show that they would obsessive over vs the show I wanted more of them to watch, which was WOT, (which turned out fine, since everyone else watched WOT and loved it, even if the creatives more or less ignored it even it gave them everything they've been complaining they've wanted for years) and I was grumpy about it.

Overall, really liked it!

Some quick thoughts.

The Great:

The show runners from what you folks have shared (interview quotes, I really look forward to digging into some podcasts with them over the weekend) do make me have even more faith in them. Because the one thing I have no notes about is that they get the characters, and it feels honest, and that's what they're sticking to the most. Which is great, because it's their strongest strengths.

JL is doing a fantastic, and I mean, fanatic job of acting like a trauma washed up addict. I was a bartender in my twenties, and the way heavy drinking 40's look is exactly like her. She's got the mannerisms down, the face twitches, all of it. Somebody in here described it as big, but what it feels like is a kettle about to boil. That's often like what old addicts feel like when they sit at your bar.

The affair domestic plot works because the mom, husband and daughter are playing tricky roles perfectly. I believe he's a well aging average idiot. "There's no book club?!" is one of the best drat line readings of the last year.

CR is playing her role perfectly, and I believe she can get away with the poo poo she's getting away.

The time in the woods overall really works. Those actors are all killing it. The supernatural scenes being played as either or (and the thread having members saying no/yes) shows that giving options for it to be either is fantastic. It's clear they're going to say it's probably supernatural but leave room for the boring people who refuse to think anything supernatural can ever happen. A man of science/man of faith without it being so heavy handed.

The other stuff:
I am torn on the opening showing so far ahead. I know you need that hook. I do. but having her running and being chased may have been enough for the start. Then cut to the last shot another flash-forward of them eating. They trapped themselves into a bit of a corner, unless they do one of two things. Just have it be the only members left with dark hair... or

And this why 5 seasons makes me feel leery: they need to find more people out there. If the show is three seasons and out, the amount of players out there is perfect. But if they go fully tribal (break into two) there needs to be more cannon fodder, because otherwise present day will start to feel small, fast. You need multiple people not with those four out in the real world, more than just one. Cult members I guess works, but still.

It's good to hear it can be up to 5 years. I think narratively sticking to what the show is best at (characters in way over their heads,) is better than making the mystery stuff too deep.

As for the woods supernatural stuff, another note. I was in a wilderness survival group when I was a teen. Me, a bunch of other teens, and some twenty something leaders (with major survival training) going out into the woods for up to two weeks, with very little supplies. It was great times, learned a lot. But poo poo does happen out there. Most (and many in this thread would argue all) of it is the mind playing tricks on you, but there are two or three things that happened to me personally that did not feel like easy explain away. and I'm someone that by and large does not believe in conspiracy theories, gets vaccinated, all that. I think the majority of hardcore christians lack critical thinking skills, (and most other major religions) and so on.

The point about that last part is them going really crazy (and they have shrooms and are all attractive teens who want to jump each other just experienced massive traumas) if anything seems like it's almost taking too long.

The senator plot line is boring and not good. It's like a copy of a copy of a boring plot line out of an episode of the good wife/Evil.

Last last thing. I think this show officially is the sign that shows need to stop a lot of "prestige" dialogue. There were several speeches that worked here, but I could feel them being the same beats as other prestige shows. I don't think any show can keep doing that and actual work anymore. This one does, but barely.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

The gently caress is KR?

I meant Christina Ricci. Goddamn K instead of a C.