Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is anyone else constantly keeping track of that necklace in the back of their minds?

Constantly

I like Van. I don't think she's going to make it out of the woods but I hope we get more background on her. Though her scene during the "Never Tear Us Apart" sequence managed to tell us a lot about her life in just a few seconds.

One little moment that stands out to me from episode 2 is when they're looking for something to disinfect Coach's leg. Van pulls a bottle of Sea Breeze astringent from Jackie's suitcase and offers it up, Jackie immediately goes "Hey that's m-- uh...great idea, Van" and Van just gives her the best look of utter disbelief and contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Terrible theories I have seen:

-Taissa has a split personality, which is why her son Sammy tells her "You're not the bad one"

-Taissa's wife is a hallucination

-Adam is a hallucination

-Adam is an adult post-transition Jackie

-Shauna gives birth to Jeff's baby while they are stranded, and the baby somehow gets left behind and grows up in the Ontario wilderness. The postcards are being sent by the now-25 baby on a quest for vengeance!!!

-spotted by Open Source Idiom: "the cast cannibalised their as-yet-nonexistant babies for protein, which is the kind of theory only someone who's never spent time with a pregnant person could come up with"

-the postcards are being sent by Allie (who had her leg broken in the first episode and never made it on the plane)

-the girl in the pit is Shauna's daughter, because Shauna will bring her back to the woods and sacrifice her. And she has Jackie's necklace...somehow

-there is no cannibalism and it's all one big fake-out (proposed by someone who later clarified they believed this because the show didn't explicitly depict the process of butchering a human corpse)

Tell me your theories, good or bad! I love to speculate.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I do think there might be something up with the coach's family, if we're theory crafting. I'm thinking maybe an affair. It'd explain why his elder son is so very angry with him (in a this is a plot point sense, rather than purely as a reaction to trauma).

I'll laugh if it's with the assistant coach.

I can't decide if it's with the assistant coach or with one of the girls' parents (horribly, with one of the girls themselves?) but it's gotta be something. His wife is very reluctant to let him kiss her on the cheek when they depart for the plane. Nat keeps giving Travis these looks that suggest to me she knows whatever's going on.

So who do we think the girl in the pit is? The theory I found and posted was derived from extensive study of the brief shots we get of her facial features, compared against pictures of all the actresses. But I think it's a really dumb convoluted choice. I think it's Mari .

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yellowjackets - Mesquite Misty’s House of BBQ

I've been puzzling over the Antler Queen's veil for a while, since my first impression was that it's like a chainmail type material and I couldn't piece together where they'd find it. I'm still not sure, but it looks really cool.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My other guess was like, the mesh from the bag of soccer balls Coach Martinez brought but I checked and it was a black mesh much finer than what she has on. Would have been cool symbolic value tho

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

"So...for the record, we're like, even now, right?" Ahahahaha you fuckin' suck, Jackie. Van was totally about to get up and slap her poo poo before the hunting party returned.

Really enjoyed Taissa in this episode. I'm glad she didn't give in and reveal things even though it would have done a lot to secure her campaign. Whoever played that rich lady absolutely nailed the entitled attitude.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The episode 5 preview just dropped. They're uh...they're gonna go there with Misty's character aren't they

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

It's right at the start of the preview. Look closely.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The episode 5 preview shows Misty trying to touch Coach's morning wood and Coach gets pretty freaked out about it

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

goddammit i snorted LOUDLY at my desk

that pic would do numbers on the fb page and discord

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I greatest goal on the internet is to cause people to laugh at their screens and have to awkwardly explain it. I hope you're boss/significant other/cat was dutifully confused.

And feel free to share it. I didn't care enough to even plug in a mouse, so it's not like it's a great artistic achievement.

:getin:

And yeah all the official material specifies Ontario. gently caress if I know what specific wilderness I'm looking at, I hate snow

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

When they're boarding the plane the captain actually mentions that they're going a bit farther north than originally planned to avoid a storm system. But it's background noise on the intercom so easy to miss.

Re the creepy preview scene I kind of hope Misty doesn't actually touch his dick and instead starts touching his stump to make it painful and make him more reliant on her. I also believe his "don't! Touch me!" line is going to eventually lead to his death-- he'll get into a situation where it's just him and Misty and she has the ability to get him to safety but just smiles and says "you told me not to touch you" and walks away leaving him to his fate

Tonight I'm poring over Sammy's creepy drawings on the window. I wish I could read the writing on some of them.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The screenshots came from reddit so let's see if I can post them here

and this one has no text but I think is important for decoding the other pictures

The inclusion of the red-headed figure with a heart makes it pretty obvious that the creepy af bleeding-eye screaming-mouth figure is Tai. This is reinforced by the "family portrait" on the right side of the first screenshot. But what does that text on the left say? What is the figure on the left in that drawing? None of the guesses I have make sense.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

If I ever reach that point please feel free to mock me viciously.

Forgot to mention I am SO happy we have other characters interacting with Simone so people can stop shrieking that every other character is a hallucination.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I could watch Shauna's takedown of her daughter on loop forever.

Laura Lee is 100% going to try flying that plane and crash it and die. Episode 8 is titled "Flight of the Bumblebee"

Still holding out for the lady in the tree being a survivor-turned-stalker. I don't want it to be Taissa's split personality or whatever.

Overall I feel like I have less to say about this episode? It was very enjoyable and had a lot of payoff I just...don't have a lot to run with here.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

What about it feels incoherent to you? I think they have a lot of separate plot threads that aren't always well balanced but hopefully they can tie some of them together in a way that makes sense.

Re: Misty, I can't really decide if she murdered Travis. Finding the pattern in the crime scene photos feels too convenient. But I could totally believe she sent the SEND 50K text (or had someone like stallion99 set it up for her) just to see what would happen.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I, too, am a conniving poodle-haired little loving freak

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

People are really out here asking "why are Tai and Van sneaking around instead of being out in the open?" bro it's...it's 1996 bro :negative:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

They pitched it as a 5 season series so we'll see. Depends if they even get renewed for season 2

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

withak posted:

Wonder if this means the story was never going to be resolved this season, or just that they are going to have to make up something completely new for next season?

coronatae posted:

They pitched it as a 5 season series so we'll see. Depends if they even get renewed for season 2

:)

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I really dislike the "Adam is Javi" theory. When Shauna is googling herself in ep 5 there's a split second shot of a link to a reddit thread asking if any of the Yellowjackets survivors are single so I kinda hope he's like a creepy weirdo into the whole thing and only getting close to her because of it. I think that would be a fun contrast to the way people have been trying to get Tai to divulge what happened-- people who use their influence and power to force you to disclose your trauma vs the people who try to get really close and intimate with you in the hopes you'll open up and spill.

Either way there was a shot from one of the trailers where Shauna is pointing a knife at him so yeah, I think she'll get wise to his tomfoolery eventually.

coronatae fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 17, 2021

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Done :) Wasn't sure if I needed to since it was shown in the series trailer released on Oct 27. But it is a real blink-and-you-miss-it moment!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

This week's "Reading Comprehension Whomst?" award goes to everyone speculating that Coach Scott is the father of Shauna's baby

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I actually have a screenshot I can post once I censor usernames lol

IMO there are 2 factors at play here.

Factor 1 is that there are some truly stupid people in this world who can't comprehend what's happenin onscreen unless a Carrie Bradshaw narrator comes on and dictates "And then Shauna and Jeff had sex. And even though Shauna made an elaborate threat about what would happen if Jeff came in her, he still came in her and Sperm A met Egg B and just like that, Shauna was pregnant by Jeff before she even got on the plane 💅" This is also a symptom of terminal CinemaSins poisoning

Factor 2 is a result of whatever the gently caress happened with Lost and Game of Thrones and whatever else-- the writers were mad that fans figured out where they were planning to go with the story so they rewrote it to be entirely unpredictable. Now people watch shows and guess the absolute wildest left-field outcomes because they have no reason to think the writers won't do something that stupid.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

I do think there's going to be some fuckery where she tries to convince everyone that coach, Travis or Javi got her pregnant so she doesn't have to tell Jackie the truth.

Comedy option: Shauna "confesses" to actually hooking up with Randy loving Walsh even though she made such a fuss about the idea when she was getting ready for the party.

Here is the screenshot I mentioned

There is also someone on one of the facebook groups asking for a translation of an article Misty had in her Citizen Detective Expanding File (TM). They will not accept that although the headline of the article is in English, the body is just Lorem Ipsum filler with no deeper meaning.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Tuna quiche :negative: that entire sequence was a masterclass on uncomfortable scenes

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Gave me Vietnam flashbacks to getting an IUD placed. Kudos to them for not only showing it, but for doing a really loving good job showing it. It was exactly as terrifying and visceral as it needed to be, but it never got lurid. The acting was fantastic. Shauna brought Jackie's bottle of Sea Breeze with her for disinfectant.

Misty is so extra. I love her. Tai was sweating bullets when Nat started calling Jessica Roberts, looks like the truth is still going to come out.

I'm really excited for next week, Tai will be assembling her own little Forlorn Hope except the Forlorn Hope actually did succeed in getting the Donner Party rescued. I don't know what exactly will happen but I am pre-emptively dedicating it to all the dipshits I've seen commenting like "if I was stranded in the woods after a plane crash with limited food and water and no sense of where I was, I would simply Leave 😌"

This week's fandom slapfights are:
-Some of the movies in Jackie's journal are from after 1997. Production error or hint?
-Coach Scott having all those condoms means he's having an affair with one of the girls on the team, and not that he was planning to run for Mayor of Pound Town, Seattle Division

(I do think that could be a plot point though-- Nat and Travis discuss the condoms and Misty's "secret boyfriend" and put two and two together. Poor Coach)

ETA: Xiahou Dun I think you and I would both lie facedown on the floor for 45 minutes for Melanie Lynskey

coronatae fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 20, 2021

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I was thinking of making a little Yellowjackets menu to eat while watching the season 1 finale but the tuna quiche is a bridge too far even for me. Will definitely have a chocolate martini or 3

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yes yes hell yes. I'm waiting on the pica until we have more info-- if it's addressed in ep 9 it will make it into the final menu. Up til now my plans involved a chocolate martini, beef jerky, some kind of pasty (is this meat? *pleh*), and whiskey soda red label double. Also at least rabbit chili if I can't get my hands on venison.

I have saved at least 2 stupid fan theories this week, I'm glad y'all don't mind seeing them.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Misty dazzled me with her cunning in this episode.

I had figured their journey south would go badly but I'm a little disappointed by where they took it-- is it not enough to be disoriented by miles of woodland? So many people die on the Appalachian trail, lost in the woods mere miles from the trail itself.

I'm also unhappy with how hard they're leaning into Lottie being psychic but maybe they'll surprise me. I was never expecting a perfect nuanced depiction of psychiatric illness but I expected them to balance the mystical and the mundane a little better.

Hot scorching takes I collected last week:

:tinfoil:

ETA: Malibu and milk sounds like Potion of Puke Yourself and this is coming from someone who regularly drank Mailbu and Mtn Dew in college

coronatae fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 27, 2021

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

At this point I don't know who will be the Antler Queen but if Adam is grown-up Javi I will be furious. I'm gonna :toxx: myself for the first time in my horrible goon life.

IF Adam is grown-uo Javi THEN I will donate $150 to Biblioteca Nuestros Hijos, founded by the mothers of 11 children who died in Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 from which this show draws significant influence.

I will probably donate regardless of the outcome but I might as well make it into a horrible goon gamble.

You will also get a video of me yelling NOOOOOOO if Adam turns out to be Javi

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

It's fun to get mad at incredibly low-stakes poo poo on the Internet.

From a storytelling perspective I also think it's more interesting for him to be a creepy Yellowjackets superfan finally living his weird fantasy of getting close to one of the actual team members and hoping she'll eventually let her guard down and telling him what really happened out there.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Theories I have seen this week:

This one is from a month ago but I had to include it because it's hilariously bad:

OP had a weird meltdown about racism when someone pointed out that the two actors look nothing alike.

This one isn't a theory, I just like collecting peoples' terrible ideas about wilderness survival:

I'm still haunted by the tuna quiche.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I don't think Misty had any part in it, it was just an old-rear end plane.

The dumb theories come mostly from the Yellowjackets reddit. I follow one of the facebook pages too but the real brain genius content seem to come from reddit, and it's easier to remove identifying info.

I had to turn away from the stitches scene, it was brutal. And even though they telegraphed Laura Lee's fate from a mile away it still made me intensely sad. Leonard :negative:

Next week gonna be wild with how many little things they laid down in this episode. Jackie knowing Shauna's secrets and enacting petty vengeance. Travis and Nat in a rough patch. Jackie putting the moves on Travis (I'm willing to bet she plays up her own technical virginity to him). They really are stuck out there. The reunion is tomorow. Jeff's choice of dress for his wife.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Whatever the "it" is in Lottie's "it didn't want him to leave" if you want to take the supernatural route.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/albastew/status/1475117064608260097?s=20

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Alright so I try to save these throughout the week and curate the best/worst ones for your enjoyment but this one couldn't wait

:psypop:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The original post was this:

And then that was a comment on it

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Samantha Hanratty said that in an interview. She was the only "real" actor on set since she was unmasked at the end of the scene.

I'm glad she explained that it was all extras. People were getting really weird with trying to figure out who was who, like...taking stills of the meat-eating shots and comparing against the shape of the main actors' teeth. The existence of the Co-Ed Naked Soccer shirt also causes much debate about how long Van will survive out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I was literally about to post that lol

Since you beat me to it, have more wholesome BTS content, made slightly unsettling by all the actors being in their post-crash outfits

https://twitter.com/albastew/status/1477646053642022914?s=20

Kevin Alves (Travis) left his phone