Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm worried about this show though. I hope the creators at least have a high level plan of "what happened" on the island so that 18 months they spent on the island isn't somehow stretched out to 5 seasons.

Wait wait wait, when did they establish they were on an island? Or is this a LOST joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

I will, however, be pissed if the teenage story isn’t mostly resolved by the end of this season. If they leave everything hanging there, I have a hard time imagining that I will be able to maintain my enthusiasm for the show over a hiatus.

The flashbacks won't be resolved this season. 100%.

If we're unlucky, the show will find ways to feature the teen actors until the very end of the show, instead of moving on from that plot at a good pace.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do think there might be something up with the coach's family, if we're theory crafting. I'm thinking maybe an affair. It'd explain why his elder son is so very angry with him (in a this is a plot point sense, rather than purely as a reaction to trauma).

I'll laugh if it's with the assistant coach.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pretty ballsy of them to reveal the lead cannibal so early.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wouldn't put too much stock in these kinds of things tbh, same with trying to match up characters to hooded figures etc. (as said hooded figures are often played by stunt people and not the actual actors). These images aren't designed to be poured over and scrutinised in this way, and you can end up becoming the kind of L O S T fan who thinks that the show was subtlety altering the cast's eye colour to indicate possession, rather than just lighting them weirdly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

magiccarpet posted:

THANK YOU I did a weirdly deep dive to try to find this a few weeks ago.

Tunefind is your friend. Keeps a list of all songs that appear in shows, including title music.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Misty believes that people will only like her if they're dependent on her, so she 100% is behind the blackmail escalation because it's a situation that makes her indisnesible to the group.

But Travis was killed by his younger brother IMO, who's the dude who's having the affair with Shauna.

Also I'm getting the sense that they're setting up a reveal that Shauna's kid is still alive, and being raised in the woods by some of the survivors who never made it back (probably the best friend who the show is trying to pretend is dead). So a future season will end up with the four survivors, plus a few hangers on, ending up back in the woods again.

Those are my insane theories anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's fun. I'm not convinced it's there yet, but I'm enjoying it all the same.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

coronatae posted:

They pitched it as a 5 season series so we'll see. Depends if they even get renewed for season 2

I mean, when people pitch five season plans, th stuff for later seasons is often not more detailed than "and in season 4, they fight the devil" or whatever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Shee-it. Any chance they can stunt-cast it as Tom Waits?

If this is a Terry Gilliam reference then I respect your taste in Satan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And, renewed for season 2.

!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress. Yes!

Any news on returning cast?

Nah, though they're unlikely to spoil who lives / who dies in a mid-season press release.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Starks posted:

I mean, we’re halfway through the season and what, a month into their 19-month stay in the woods? I’d be surprised if we even find out who spiketrap girl is this season.

I feel like that's the ONLY thing we'll definitely find out this season. I doubt we'll properly catch up to that timeline.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Starks posted:

How old is he supposed to be anyways? I figured mid 30s but him being at the same party as Callie threw me off a bit.

He totally set that up, I wouldn't use that as a marker for his age.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two minutes in to the newest episode and the show has gone full L O S T.

Edit: Okay, I'm about ten minutes in and L O S T would never have loving done that

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 19, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

coronatae posted:

-Coach Scott having all those condoms means he's having an affair with one of the girls on the team, and not that he was planning to run for Mayor of Pound Town, Seattle Division

I joked about this before, but only slightly. Now I'm a bit more convinced: i reckon he was loving the other coach, Travis's dad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The British equivalent of a two-dollar shop is a "pound store", not "pound town", LMAO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
and spooky spooky nature

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

We are both a heart attack or a bad fall away from becoming cat food and you know it. If the two-legs can not open the food, we become the food.

I read that cats only eat your lips. Dogs are the ones you've gotta watch out for.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My personal theory is that the four older women called Misty, Shauna, Taissa and Natalie and the four younger women called Misty, Shauna, Taissa and Natalie are, in fact, the same four people.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love this recurring theme in some of the worst theories that pregnant women are somehow magical energy and matter machines -- like you put the same amount of food into them that you'd put into a non pregnant person, and but they just magically produce more stuff. Like gallons of breastmilk or pot roast babies.

:allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No, I tried it, it doesn't work. :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

tangential, but he and travis (still) remaining so well-groomed was/is one of the more disbelief suspending bits of the show

I did notice that he's a bit more mullet-y this episode.

Also loving called it. Still suspect he was having some sort of affair with the other coach, since the condoms don't quite make sense otherwise. But I'll settle with being half right.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Quigley is the coach, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Quigley is Misty's last name.

Woosh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Van will definitely be still alive in the modern day because those scars on a middle-aged woman will be a good visual.

Also, lol at them just casually mentioning a school reunion coming up imminently for the first time. Gonna guess events will occur there!

I feel like I've known about this plot point for ages. Are you sure it turned up for the first time this ep?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, I loved The Wilds -- I think it's better than this show, sorry to say (and I like Yellowjackets!).

So keen for the second season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ep 9: The idea of Misty and Jessica maybe becoming a couple is kind of amazing.

Also, that happened. Holy gently caress.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

lmao no Jessica is rightly terrified of Misty

Oh, yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest that they're anywhere near being a legitimate romatic couple, I think I mispoke a little. It's more, like, the actresses are leaning into a slight tension there with the way they're playing their scenes, and I feel like it's there in the script too -- we're clearly meant to be comparing those scenes to the stuff with Misty and Coach in the past, and see that the Misery situation in the present is more of a match between equals.

I don't think it's out of the realm of sanity to imagine these two characters teaming up, some point down the line, particularly given that they're so similar, and Misty's whole arc about wanting to be accepted and legitimised by people who understand where she's coming from.

Yeah, Jessica's clearly scared of Misty, and manipulating Misty, but there are moments, with the way Rekha Sharma is playing it, where she seems to relax a little. It's a cool dynamic that I'd like to see more of, that's what I'm trying to say.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm trying to work out, now the show's done cannibalism and sexual assault, what possible thing could the show still have waiting in the wings for future seasons.

My new guess, now that Adam is dead, is that they kill the younger kid -- this is based purely on the logistics of the actor aging faster than the 1.5 years the characters are gonna be stuck there for.

Other than that, and maybe some general mass hysteria Satanic panic, I got nothing though.

Edit: also which surviving characters haven't had flashbacks yet? Just Jackie and the guys from the leads, yeah?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 11, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Miguel Prado posted:

just who killed Travis and emptied his bank account right?

I'm trying to work out what potential suspects are left at this point. The only real outlier I can think of is the highschool guy who became a cop, but I reckon he'll get involved in trying to solve Adam's murder and be drawn back into the plot that way.

So I figure it has to be one of the core four, or another survivor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think my problem with Taissa and Van not joining team cannibal is that they're clearly the motivating factor behind the face masks.

Also I suspect the show's not going to divide up between Team Cannibal and Team Sanity, so much as both groups are gonna go cannibal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I noped out of the Wilds after like the first 15 mins when a character was like " you think its tough being stranded, you clearly haven't been a teenage girl in the suburbs" or whatever. Just didn't seem to be my poo poo at all. It's actually worth watching?

I loved it, and thought it was cleverly made.

FWIW, the girl giving that voice over is characterised as being fairly naive and self-involved. You're not meant to read that monologue as a didactic statement about the world, but as a demonstration of her personality and a starting point for her character arc. There's even an episode later in the season where someone rips into her taste in writing.

There's lots of clever bits like that throughout. Like I said, I really loved it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yellowjackets: the questions I asked are very possible questions

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Then she survived or someone took her identity?

There's a bunch of options, but my vote's for the latter.

I think this episode is the first time it's been implied that Javi died out there, right? His picture's with the framed photographs of his other dead family members, including Travis.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Travis just died recently, though. They would just put an old pic out?

I thought that was odd, but I figured it was down to the poor, awful organiser lady being obsessed with high school glory.

It wasn't even her reunion she was organising!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

sudden appearance of cultists in weird symbol jumpsuits to kidnap natalie was a bit stupid.

Yeah, I didn't think favourably of this development. It's very L O S T, in a bad way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don't know how the hell they're going to do that considering they haven't even started writing season two yet. It sounds like this was so successful for Showtime that they just want new stuff ASAP, but I'd rather they focus on making it good first.

I mean, Showtime has nothing right now. Dexter? Done (probably, hopefully). Billions? Long in the tooth, lost its main star, heading south. Nothing else is over four seasons IIRC.

Gormenghast? Development hell.
Halo? Stolen from them for Paramount+
On Becoming A God In Central Florida? Covid cancelled.
Black Monday? In limbo, no news in a year, probably cancelled.

They've got the Andrew Scott starring Ripley adaptation that's done filming, plus Naomi Harris is in The Man Who Fell To Earth (but that's gonna be a risky prospect).

They need this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

I can see why they’re desperate, but cranking the seasons out as fast as possible doesn’t really bode well for quality.

I think it's entirely possible to start airing a season ten months from now, if a) that season's short, b) they star airing it without the entire season being in the can, the way Showtime did Homeland, and c) if they've already done some work plotting the show's second season (which I suspect they have, since most shows are sold this way).

I mean, most shows turn things around in a single year. The idea of year-and-a-half+ breaks between seasons is a recent, and tbh crap, development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's entirely possible that present day "Lottie" is just Taissa's blackout personality. Keen to see where they take all of that.