Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That this is a spillover thread and that the issue of electoralism is so contentious in USPOL, I think, shows how the left in general (to the extent that this forum represents "the left") is feeling. People feel frustrated because they are unheard and underrepresented by the elite politicians who are supposed to "represent" them in Washington. Feeling frustrated and unheard causes lashing out, and since none of the elite politicians are listening and barely know we even exist, that frustration is mistargeted at the people around you. It's a similar process to "they took 'er jerbs".

I understand why people feel this way because I've felt especially impotent these days myself. I hated the feeling of having to sit by and watch as my rights - and the rights of people around me - were curtailed by unaccountable elites when Trump was in office, and I hate it even more now with the "good guys" in power but unwilling/unable to upset the apple cart.

This is the limits of our "representative" so-called democracy: in theory, a president, a congress and the Supreme Court represent a majority of the people who elected the officials who appointed the judges. In reality, the creation of an elite class of politicians and the requirement to be independently wealthy to run for office creates a separation between the ruling class and us "common folk" they don't understand or care about. It's a big club and none of us are in it. The system is rotten from top to bottom and I'm very skeptical that anything short of revolution will fix it, but that isn't stopping me from trying to work on the local level to feed the hungry and house the homeless.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think SA is especially representative, but I do think my theory is probably correct that the neverending arguments over "Dems bad" are - for the most part - because people feel helpless and frustrated. Voting is supposed to be a pressure valve for those feelings, but it's not because voting is suppressed and not representative. Protest doesn't work because murder has been legalized after August 12th and Rittenhouse. You can appeal to politicians directly, but more likely than not they won't care to hear anything you have to say (Bernie and The Squad are notable exceptions).