Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the underlying issue that the US Party system has is that it presumes coalitions instead of allowing coalitions to naturally build. In other countries, you often end up with multiple parties that build coalitions in given elections. So, you get some actual compromise. In the US though, Liberals, Leftists, and Progressives just default to being in party together. The Liberal Party would still probably be more successful and prominent than a Progressive or Leftist Party and you might end up with Biden-type being leader regardless, but actual concessions would need to be made to get everyone to build a coalition and the minority parties within the coalition would hold leverage.

I think what I don't like about the rhetoric here is you get into these fantasies of basically killing the Democratic Party and making a new party, but I think that's a pretty farfetched fantasy where we have the exact same hosed up system except Liberals are the marginalized group within the party.

I empathize with it because the system is incredibly hosed up and the reality is that the rest of the world has actually refined representative government while the US is stuck with a first draft built on a bunch of institutions that literally only exist to appease slave owners. And there is just not a clear way to actually fix things. We're a country that needs a new Constitution but a country that would probably make a horrific new Constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU