Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alright folks. Discovery Channel has finally set a premier date for the latest season of Battlebots! This time filmed in Las Vegas in the summer. 1st episode is on January 6! It should also be available to stream on Discovery Plus, which last season episodes were actually up the same day the episode aired on Discovery Channel (And actually before it actually aired)!

Here is the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEFwLJOGOI

And here is a list of the bots that will be competing for the Giant Nut!

https://battlebots.com/2021-season-robots/

Quite a few returning bots that missed last season. Minotaur, Duck, & Ice Wave appears to be actually competing this year.

Bots missing though include Bronco, which appears to be for sale... Also Chomp is not in the competition, I'm sure moving the competition to Las Vegas and having a kid probably made it hard for the team captain.

Also due to covid restrictions, pretty much all of the British teams were unable to compete this season.

And if you missed it from the trailer above... the arena has some "updates" I guess... with this shelf thingy.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you want some really cool behind the scenes content. Team Scorpios has a really awesome YouTube channel and did a few videos getting setup at the event in Las Vegas. Not really any spoilers other than some minor looks at some of the bots you probably already know are competing. They weren't allowed to film anything once the fights started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfM-Kjj-q_E&t=881s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Battlethots

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I got into a deep dive of old seasons on YT during lockdown in 2020. This will be my first season following while it's on air.

My newbie impression from all that I saw was that Minotaur and its driver loving rule, and I hope they win it all someday. I would say Tombstone because :piss: that bot is lethal and its driver seems like a fun dude, but that thing has won like a bazillion times.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Chomp will return next season a completely autonomous killing machine with chainsaws for hands and a hundred legs each one capable of independent AI-driven action and it will go 0-4 and lose to Rusty.

Railing Kill posted:

My newbie impression from all that I saw was that Minotaur and its driver loving rule, and I hope they win it all someday. I would say Tombstone because :piss: that bot is lethal and its driver seems like a fun dude, but that thing has won like a bazillion times.

I think Tombstone is my favorite bot. Not because it's all that dominant anymore; it seems like most of the best teams have figured out how to beat it. But rather because most teams have to be equipped to beat it. It's the crucible that forges all the other good bots.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 3, 2021

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Chomp will return next season a completely autonomous killing machine with chainsaws for hands and a hundred legs and it will go 0-4 and lose to Rusty

:hmmyes:

Rusty's single (?) win was one of the most exciting things I saw. I mean, it sucked, but I just wanted to see the thing win somehow. How can you not root for that janky lil' guy?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Rusty's single (?) win was one of the most exciting things I saw. I mean, it sucked, but I just wanted to see the thing win somehow. How can you not root for that janky lil' guy?

Well speaking of Rusty, he's been upgraded a bit... And for some bounty hunter spoilers Rusty did also beat Kraken by a judge decision and almost gave Copperhead a heart attack in their fight...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can't tell if the thread title has a typo or if we're just perpetually going to be a year behind in these threads.

:D

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well speaking of Rusty, he's been upgraded a bit... And for some bounty hunter spoilers Rusty did also beat Kraken by a judge decision and almost gave Copperhead a heart attack in their fight...

I saw those too. BTW, what is the difference between Bounty Hunters and the main show? All of the matches I watched on YT were just the matches, divorced of context. Was it a play-in to fight against the reigning champ or something, just as an excuse to have more bot fights?

It looks like Rusty 2.0 is like a smaller Chomp? That hammer arm doesn't look like it has the power or reach to do much damage. I might end up missing the drill, as much of a hail Mary as it was. It was just so unique, and kind of thrilling if Rusty actually got a hold of a bot. This revision just seems to be a worse version of what already doesn't work well for most other bots who use it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

I saw those too. BTW, what is the difference between Bounty Hunters and the main show? All of the matches I watched on YT were just the matches, divorced of context. Was it a play-in to fight against the reigning champ or something, just as an excuse to have more bot fights?

It looks like Rusty 2.0 is like a smaller Chomp? That hammer arm doesn't look like it has the power or reach to do much damage. I might end up missing the drill, as much of a hail Mary as it was. It was just so unique, and kind of thrilling if Rusty actually got a hold of a bot. This revision just seems to be a worse version of what already doesn't work well for most other bots who use it.

Bounty Hunters was an 8 bot mini tournament to fight the chosen champ for the bracket. Also I think most of the teams were pretty happy with the money Discovery Channel put into making that...

Also a smaller chomp might not really be that bad of a thing. Their weapon wasn't bad, it just sent more energy into Chomp than the bot they hit... :lol:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah just an excuse to have more fights, which Discovery used as an incentive to get Discovery+ because they were exclusive to that initially (they did wind up airing them on Discovery Channel after the season). I think they shot them after the season ended with whoever still had working bots. 8 bot tournament, and the winner would fight a well-established bot like Tombstone or Witch Doctor for a $25,000 prize.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Thanks for the info!

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Chiming in with my usual 'Duck! sucks and should not be allowed in the tournament' post.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bots missing though include Bronco, which appears to be for sale...

It's only old bits of Bronco for sale. Maybe Inertia Labs show up one day with a new Bronco or other bot, but they've always been a tight-lipped group.

Looking forward to Uppercut blowing up another robot!

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah just an excuse to have more fights, which Discovery used as an incentive to get Discovery+ because they were exclusive to that initially (they did wind up airing them on Discovery Channel after the season). I think they shot them after the season ended with whoever still had working bots. 8 bot tournament, and the winner would fight a well-established bot like Tombstone or Witch Doctor for a $25,000 prize.

Practically speaking, bounty hunters was a way to fill time between the quarter/semi/final matches when only a few bots were left and teams needed time for repairs.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

Chiming in with my usual 'Duck! sucks and should not be allowed in the tournament' post.

Given the number of bots that shut down ten seconds into the fight because of a loose wire, Duck’s ability to take a licking is impressive and shouldn’t be discounted. Tombstone forces designers who want to win to figure out how to beat it, and that’s been good for design. The problem with Duck is that not enough designers are thinking about how to beat it: overcoming an effective and reliable defensive bot should be on the list, but there’s still a few designers who seem to plan for the opponent’s bot failing instead of theirs winning.

Duck isn’t the problem, the problem is that more than one team has a bot with no winning strategy beyond “don’t lose.”

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Duck is the problem because Duck doesn't have a weapon.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

People like you that have no appreciation for control bots are the reason so much of the field is 4wd vertical spinners.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lone Goat posted:

Duck is the problem because Duck doesn't have a weapon.

Duck does have a weapon now though. And it's the same weapon a few bots have. It's beak is a flipper. Not as powerful as some, but it is weaponized.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NightGyr posted:

Practically speaking, bounty hunters was a way to fill time between the quarter/semi/final matches when only a few bots were left and teams needed time for repairs.

Oh, shoot. I wish I didn't know that because doesn't that mean the participants definitely didn't make the quarters? Spoils the postseason.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, shoot. I wish I didn't know that because doesn't that mean the participants definitely didn't make the quarters? Spoils the postseason.

Pretty much. You probably shouldn't have read that goon's post if you still haven't seen or are watching the 2020 season... :lol:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty much. You probably shouldn't have read that goon's post if you still haven't seen or are watching the 2020 season... :lol:

I wonder if they're doing Bounty Hunters again for 2022

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I, for one, think all battlebots should be superheavyweight walkers that take full advantage of the weight bonus with weird nonsense weapons that don't really work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

I, for one, think all battlebots should be superheavyweight walkers that take full advantage of the weight bonus with weird nonsense weapons that don't really work.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A lot of teams had local resources (shops, vendors) in CA that they'd share with other groups. I wonder how that'll impact bot reliability this season? There were always a lot of stories about "we went down to Other Teams' workshop and made a new weapon after it broke" earlier.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Narsham posted:

Given the number of bots that shut down ten seconds into the fight because of a loose wire, Duck’s ability to take a licking is impressive and shouldn’t be discounted. Tombstone forces designers who want to win to figure out how to beat it, and that’s been good for design. The problem with Duck is that not enough designers are thinking about how to beat it: overcoming an effective and reliable defensive bot should be on the list, but there’s still a few designers who seem to plan for the opponent’s bot failing instead of theirs winning.

Duck isn’t the problem, the problem is that more than one team has a bot with no winning strategy beyond “don’t lose.”

it's not complicated to understand.

duck's strategy is to make sure the match is as boring and low energy as possible.

a duck vs duck2 mirror match would be dull as hell.

Tombstone going against 2mbstone would be cool

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's probably room for one Duck. Due to the format, they can make that choice as far as the contestants go. Maybe it's unfair to "Duck clones" but likely better for the community and television.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm glad Deep Six is back, I always felt like it never got enough chances to gently caress stuff up compared to it's sheer destructive potential.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chronojam posted:

There's probably room for one Duck.

less than that, I'd say

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I like Duck! and it losing that one rumble to Bombshell a couple seasons ago was the most bullshit thing I've seen in all the Robot Wars and Battlebots I've watched.

I'm not much of a fan of Tombstone myself either. But some of that is probably how much they just keep hyping it up.

I also mentioned this in the last thread, but one of the guys on the Skorpios team is dwangoAC of TASBot fame, who I have some contact with. Last season we chatted a bit about BB on IRC after I recognized him in the crowd, including that he originally wasn't on location but had to drive down with some extra front plates ahead of some fight since they had run out of good ones.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Duck rules. It's good to have a couple bricks around to keep the glass cannon spinners in check.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ror posted:

I'm glad Deep Six is back, I always felt like it never got enough chances to gently caress stuff up compared to it's sheer destructive potential.

Its potential got new spinning weapon restrictions implemented and finally forced them to replace the floor. So in a way it was one of the more influential robots. :v:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'm hoping to see Double Jeopardy do something, at least once.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

rarbatrol posted:

I'm hoping to see Double Jeopardy do something, at least once.

They do have a YouTube channel it seems and YouTube just recommended me their upgrade video... most amazing takeaway is not only does the new version able to shoot 3 rounds during a match... the old version has been able to do 2 shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37Ka4K3R8c

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How legal is it to have a second bot, within weight, that's filled with shrapnel that exists to die and try to jam up the other bot. I know snares are out, at least

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How legal is it to have a second bot, within weight, that's filled with shrapnel that exists to die and try to jam up the other bot. I know snares are out, at least

If its filled with shrapnel, isn't that just a bomb?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

It would be against the arena fouling rules at the very least. I would definitely consider it intentional entanglement as well. So I'd say not very.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rules are here
https://battlebots.com/rules/

probably would fall under both "Fouling devices such as glue, nets, fishing line, ball bearings and such" and "Weapons that damage the other bot by destroying themselves."

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Chronojam posted:

A lot of teams had local resources (shops, vendors) in CA that they'd share with other groups. I wonder how that'll impact bot reliability this season? There were always a lot of stories about "we went down to Other Teams' workshop and made a new weapon after it broke" earlier.

I think the main key like always is simply time. The teams don't mind sharing with each other parts or equipment since that always makes for better matches. It's just trying to do repairs that would normally take days or weeks to be forced to be done within hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'm here to watch blacksmith get its poo poo destroyed :)